Interview at Wayne State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Flute

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have an interview at Wayne State in early April. What would be the best way to prepare for it for this school? Is there any special area that I should pay attention to? What do they emphasize in their interview and what do they look for? Thanks alot!

Members don't see this ad.

I have an interview at Wayne State in early April. What would be the best way to prepare for it for this school? Is there any special area that I should pay attention to? What do they emphasize in their interview and what do they look for? Thanks alot!

Their interviews are fairly standard. I don't think there is anything designed to trick you, I didn't receive any ethical/hypothetical questions, and it was basically a conversation geared for them to "get to know you."

It begins with a file review, where they ask you questions about your grades/MCAT scores and ask you specific things that you covered in your essays, and EC's. For example, I was a hospital employee, and my interviewer asked me what typical day at the hospital included and what my responsibilities were.

Then they ask you more about your interest in Wayne, what you plan to pursue in your medical career, what other things you plan to do if you can't get into medical school, etc.

Your interviewer spends a lot of time with your file before they interview, so they have some idea of who you are. This is your opportunity to expand upon the things that you wrote in your personal statement and essays, and to convince them that they are going to receive a well-prepared and dedicated student.

Good luck!

Just know yourApp really well. Be prepared to describe any descrepancies or things in your application you might want to elaborate on. My interview was literally sitting down and going through the entire application, everything from high school rank and ACT scores to the extracurriculars.

It's very laid back, as you've heard I'm sure, so you should be laid back as well. Just as Stringer mentioned, they simply want to get to know you better. Just keep in mind that your interviewer is just trying to make a good presentation for you to present to the committee. In the interview, you want to be able to make an impression that fills in between the lines on your app and brings everything full circle. Also, it helps to have a good thought provoking question for the end. Good luck. Relax an you'll do great.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interview was literally sitting down and going through the entire application, everything from high school rank and ACT scores to the extracurriculars.
Also, it helps to have a good thought provoking question for the end. Good luck. Relax an you'll do great.

Yeah, I was kind of amused by the high school rank question. I remember saying something along the lines of "High school was 12 years ago." (I am a non-trad, obviously.) :) My SAT scores aren't even scored on the same scale anymore!

Hey DocOB, if you end up going to MSU and I get into Wayne off the waitlist, I'm going to give you credit for getting me my spot. :thumbup:

Yeah, I was kind of amused by the high school rank question. I remember saying something along the lines of "High school was 12 years ago." (I am a non-trad, obviously.) :) My SAT scores aren't even scored on the same scale anymore!

Hey DocOB, if you end up going to MSU and I get into Wayne off the waitlist, I'm going to give you credit for getting me my spot. :thumbup:

I am about 99% sure about MSU right now. That 1% is the only reason I haven't pulled from Wayne yet. I just want to be sure. When I do withdraw it though, I'm writing a letter that says, "I, DocOB, on this (insert date) day of (insert month) bequeath my acceptance to the Wayne State Univeristy School of Medicine to Strigerbell."

How do you like the wording, is it too over the top? ;)

The Wayne interview for me was basically just going through my AMCAS list of ECs and transcribing it onto the interviewer's sheet. My thoughts from the interview were that being able to adapt and work with a wide variety of people (WSU has a very diverse class in a very diverse area). For instance, I wouldn't come in and say you have a hard time working with urban people.

When I do withdraw it though, I'm writing a letter that says, "I, DocOB, on this (insert date) day of (insert month) bequeath my acceptance to the Wayne State Univeristy School of Medicine to Strigerbell."

How do you like the wording, is it too over the top? ;)

No, I think the wording is just about perfect. And if it works, drinks are on me (though you have to make it to Detroit from East Lansing by yourself.) ;)

Just try to relax. Wayne's interview is designed for them to make sure that you are everything that you say you are on paper, and to get to know you a little better. So, know your app. and be comfortable with yourself.