Interview Attire for Women: Camel suit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Is this suit acceptable for a med school interview?

• Yes

Votes: 7 17.1%
  • No

Votes: 34 82.9%

• Total voters

mafiacat8

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I been buying some suits for my interview. I have a really hard time finding some that fit me because I have a petite frame but not a petite height. So most suits look unflattering on me. I do have an old suit that fits. But I was unsure about it because it may be too "fashionable." I heard that blue or charcoal is the way to go.

Here is the link to what I have (minus the black square pockets and not plus). Just looking at suit top and not skirt.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nine-west-plus-size-crepe-open-front-framed-jacket?ID=3180107&CategoryID=67592#fn=COLOR=Brown;;Gold&SIZE=&sp=1&spc=32&ruleId=77|BOOST SAVED SET|BOOST ATTRIBUTE&searchPass=matchNone&slotId=27

Do you think I should still be shopping for a new one? Or will this one suffice for my interview?

Members don't see this ad.

It looks formal enough to communicate that you're taking your interview seriously. At both my interviews, all the girls wore black suits either with pants or skirts. I think it's probably fine as long as you don't mind that you'll maybe not be dressed in the same color scheme as the other women.

Seems nice enough. I would recommend against camel as a color for women and men, not sure why... As an interviewer I don't want to remember your clothing by the next day.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im not trying to be mean but this genuinely looks hideous, right down from the color to the style of the suit. I would advise against and stick to plain, non-design black/navy suit.

Reactions: 6 users
it's professional, but I don't think it's flattering at all...but I'm not a fashionista. @Winged Scapula , thoughts?

Reactions: 2 users
Hi,

I been buying some suits for my interview. I have a really hard time finding some that fit me because I have a petite frame but not a petite height. So most suits look unflattering on me. I do have an old suit that fits. But I was unsure about it because it may be too "fashionable." I heard that blue or charcoal is the way to go.

Here is the link to what I have (minus the black square pockets and not plus). Just looking at suit top and not skirt.

https://www.macys.com/shop/product/nine-west-plus-size-crepe-open-front-framed-jacket?ID=3180107&CategoryID=67592#fn=COLOR=Brown;;Gold&SIZE=&sp=1&spc=32&ruleId=77|BOOST SAVED SET|BOOST ATTRIBUTE&searchPass=matchNone&slotId=27

Do you think I should still be shopping for a new one? Or will this one suffice for my interview?
I'd say no, but my fashion sense is crippled by disuse. @gyngyn for a comment.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think anyone could look good wearing that... thing

Reactions: 7 users
That is ugly. You can definitely do better and interviews are definitely important enough. Just being honest!

Reactions: 5 users
I think a literal camel suit would look better than that one.

Stick to the traditional on this one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
it's professional, but I don't think it's flattering at all...but I'm not a fashionista. @Winged Scapula , thoughts?
I don't want to pile on the insults but that is completely wrong for the occasion.

Cut, color (it is "camel" or gold, as in your example) etc.

I am not sure where you are shopping if you can't find a suit in your size or what you mean by "petite frame but not petite height". If you are over 5'3", you are not petite, regardless of size. Petite refers to your height, not your size. If you are slender most stores will stock down to a 0 or 2. Smaller sizes can be ordered (like 00) at Ann Taylor. Otherwise buy a larger size and have it tailored. Its not that hard to find, in fact, its easier to find a conventional business suit in a 0 or 2 than a 16 or 18.

Reactions: 3 users
I LOLed at all your responses. I promise it looks good on me. But alas, off to buy a blue suit now.

Reactions: 3 users
E5FF3371-98A8-4A72-A74D-690AB9D82248.jpeg
Someone say camel suit?

Reactions: 12 users
Update: just opened the link. Not to be dramatic but it looks like a female Kim-Jong Il suit

Reactions: 4 users
Where can I recommend for this to be the thread of the day?

Reactions: 1 users
Update: just opened the link. Not to be dramatic but it looks like a female Kim-Jong Il suit
Or like an old backup for Hillary's campaign closet

Reactions: 2 users
I guess I'm the only one that liked the suit... It looks pretty to me :)

I remember during speech competitions many girls would have suit jackets that flared out at the bottom like that and it ended right above the hips so it had an effect of making your legs look taller and torso shorter.

I'm not at the interview stage but when that happens I'm sure I'd wear a color that wasn't plain black. Maybe a full white suit. If you're a fashionable individual I say go all out. If you like something more toned down black or navy would work like @kitkat13 suggested.

I LOLed at all your responses. I promise it looks good on me. But alas, off to buy a blue suit now.
Since you seem to have a reasonable amount of confidence I will be direct here. It’s possible that you are soooo good looking that you still look good in it despite the suit. But I promise you it does not look good on you. At best it looks like a bad suit on a very pretty lady.

But sdn has saved you ;)

Reactions: 5 users