Interview Attire?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What do y'all think of a light grey suit? Looks professional, from express and fits me quite well -- I decided to switch my suits midway through because I was tired of wearing a skirt and my black blazer is way too big. :) Is the color okay?

Better be ok, because I'm pretty sure I'm wearing the same one!! Could depend on what specialty you're applying for, but shades of black, grey, and brown are generally all good!!

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on crimson-colored dress shirts for guys?

Bump

Edit: I'm not bumping this thread to get an answer to the crimson shirt question, rather to hear if anyone has any more thoughts or tips on interview attire in general. Good thread.

Last edited:
See, I am torn. The only suit that fits me is my black suit i recently got from Banana Republic (since I lost 60 lbs since my med school interviews). I have plenty of dress shirts/ties from my 3rd year rotations... I have a really nice blue-green shirt/tie combo that I usually get tons of compliments when I wear (and besides being called the best dressed med student on several occasions, I also have had, written in my evaluation, the best medical student the 4th year resident has worked with in her 4 years, so, no, I'm not just all looks ;) ). I am considering wearing that on some interviews, but think I am too scared on wearing it to places I am really interested in (big academic programs in NYC like Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai) and will probably stick to a white shirt and one of my various other ties. I also frequently wear a vest, and may feel more inclined to do so on one of these interviews than the more striking colored shirt/tie.

Does polished shoes really matter? I have a pair of nice-ish dress shoes, but they don't sparkle like it seems is recommended. Should I get a new pair, or atleast some shoe shine and buff them up?

You don't want to stand out as the under or abnormally dressed guy or that is what you will be known as by the program and residents. Everybody will be dressed in new clothes or at least shined shoes. At least that was my experience on the trail this year. BTW, I bought one new suit and had an older one laundered so I could alternate when you don't have time to have them dry-cleaned due to iv's back-to-back. Hope this helps:)

See, I am torn. The only suit that fits me is my black suit i recently got from Banana Republic (since I lost 60 lbs since my med school interviews). I have plenty of dress shirts/ties from my 3rd year rotations... I have a really nice blue-green shirt/tie combo that I usually get tons of compliments when I wear (and besides being called the best dressed med student on several occasions, I also have had, written in my evaluation, the best medical student the 4th year resident has worked with in her 4 years, so, no, I'm not just all looks ;) ). I am considering wearing that on some interviews, but think I am too scared on wearing it to places I am really interested in (big academic programs in NYC like Columbia, Cornell, Mt. Sinai) and will probably stick to a white shirt and one of my various other ties. I also frequently wear a vest, and may feel more inclined to do so on one of these interviews than the more striking colored shirt/tie.

Does polished shoes really matter? I have a pair of nice-ish dress shoes, but they don't sparkle like it seems is recommended. Should I get a new pair, or atleast some shoe shine and buff them up?

1) If you are called "the best dressed" med student, then you should be able to pick out clothes. Go pick out a new suit and shirt/tie combo if you have lost weight and wear that on your interviews. You're probably going to drop 5-10 thousand on interviews, what's another 500-800 dollars on top of that if it's an investment in the process? I definitely wouldn't wear a vest, and I would be hesitant to wear something too gaudy like the shirt/tie combo you're describing.

2) Shoes - this is frequently where male med students' clothing choices fall apart. A shoddy pair of shoes with a nice suit looks crappy, and it makes the whole outfit look worse. You will frequently see guys wearing a beat up pair of boxy kenneth cole shoes, or a pair of shoes with a thick rubber sole. Wear something nice, with a traditional sole, and yes it should be shiny.

I agree with the above postings, particularly about attire for men:

CLOTHING:
- Navy or Dark Grey Solid, Black is okay but not preferred. Stripes are seen as more informal.
- Mid-width notched lapel. I would avoid peak lapels or ones that are too thin since they feel more fashionable.
- Conservative styling. I purchased a fashion forward designer suit and felt out of place when I was interviewing last year.
- Single breasted, 2 or 3 buttons (1 button is considered more informal; more buttons have been a recent trend but are also informal)
- For the shirt, white barrel cuffed is preferred. French cuffs are more flashy.
- For the tie, solid or thin stripes.

SHOES:
- Black with grey or black suit.
- Dark brown or black with navy suit.
- Wingtips or Captoe are the most formal.
- Socks should be a solid color in between the suit and shoes.

ACCESSORIES:
- For men, I think the only thing you should wear is a nice watch. I personally wore a metal band, but I have heard that leather bands are considered more formal.
- I also carried a thin black leather portfolio with copies of my C.V's and publications. I would avoid a brief case as it may come off as pretentious.

If I want to avoid a briefcase, what is the usual thing to carry your documents and other stuff in? a portfolio is fine, but for other stuff like lenses, etc. would it be fine to carry a formal leather bag of some sort?

I did the interview process last year. I also matched. Honestly, I do not think there is a reason to even carry a bag or portfolio, unless you absolutely just have to. I was never asked for copies of anything over a span of 9 interviews. You really only need a pocket to put a business card in.

I agree with sarcophageal.
They pretty much don't want another copy of your resume, etc. They have your ERAS application. However, any fairly formal portfolio or folder is fine, if you feel compelled. Unless you dress totally inappropriately, it's not going to be how you dress that gets you the residency you want (or not).

I did the interview process last year. I also matched. Honestly, I do not think there is a reason to even carry a bag or portfolio, unless you absolutely just have to. I was never asked for copies of anything over a span of 9 interviews. You really only need a pocket to put a business card in.

There's no need, but it just looks good. It's an accessory. It's better than walking around with empty hands, like you're strolling through the park.

Would a light blue tie with little squares go well with a white shirt and navy suit? Or would the outfit be too bright?

Would a light blue tie with little squares go well with a white shirt and navy suit? Or would the outfit be too bright?

I don't know. I'm not sure that color goes well with your eyes.

Ummm... But seriously, I think that's a question for your significant other, rather than on a message board.
It's like we tell people who call into the ED with medical questions. "We can't diagnose you over the phone. You can only be properly evaluated face to face."

I don't know. I'm not sure that color goes well with your eyes.

Ummm... But seriously, I think that's a question for your significant other, rather than on a message board.
It's like we tell people who call into the ED with medical questions. "We can't diagnose you over the phone. You can only be properly evaluated face to face."

I see your point and appreciate the ridiculousness of the whole thing, but there were posts above recommending dark ties.

tetris said:
I see your point and appreciate the ridiculousness of the whole thing, but there were posts above recommending dark ties.

There's no rule about whether you should wear dark or light ties (at least there shouldn't be). So long as it all looks professional when put together. And that's not something anyone can assess online.

While there are times that the old saying Vestis virum facit holds true (essentially "the clothes make the man"), something that looks professional and appropo on one person may look totally goofy on another.

I agree.

Actually, a bright tie (but not too bright) is better because the tie is the only part of a man's outfit that can show creativity.

really the only rule i was taught is you have to have two of the three items of the same style meaning of shirt, tie, suit: you can either have two solids and one design or two design and one solid. The color of the tie does not really matter anymore since the idea of a power tie has really gone by the way side. If you where a white shirt it really shouldnt matter what color the tie is and a lighter color tie might actually work best

really the only rule i was taught is you have to have two of the three items of the same style meaning of shirt, tie, suit: you can either have two solids and one design or two design and one solid. The color of the tie does not really matter anymore since the idea of a power tie has really gone by the way side. If you where a white shirt it really shouldnt matter what color the tie is and a lighter color tie might actually work best

Yeah, (although I haven't interviewed yet), my impression is that conservative is best.

No-No's
Pinstriped suit
French cuff dress shirt
Very bright colored tie or shirt
Pink tie or shirt
Tie pins (matter of opinion)
Flashy watch (gray area)
Goofy designs
Totally clashing colors
"Shiny" looking suit fabric

Otherwise, just take a look in the mirror and ask someone's opinion you trust. If you struggle with stuff like this, look up pictures online, find some you think look good & professional, and dress like that.

Yeah, (although I haven't interviewed yet), my impression is that conservative is best.

No-No's
Pinstriped suit
French cuff dress shirt
Pink tie or shirt
Flashy watch (gray area)
Goofy designs
Totally clashing colors

Otherwise, just take a look in the mirror and ask someone's opinion you trust. If you struggle with stuff like this, look up pictures online, find some you think look good & professional, and dress like that.

actually the pinstripes and french cuffs are in style right now. Most places recommend you go with pinstripes when you buy the suit since theres a movement away from the going to a funeral look

actually the pinstripes and french cuffs are in style right now. Most places recommend you go with pinstripes when you buy the suit since theres a movement away from the going to a funeral look

Well I'm generally considered a sharp dresser and I'm not wearing pinstripes or french cuffs, and I feel good about it. A solid navy, charcoal, or black suit doesn't have to make you look like a mortician.

No-No's
Pinstriped suit
French cuff dress shirt
Pink tie or shirt
Flashy watch (gray area)
Goofy designs
Totally clashing colors

Not sure I agree with all of these rules. I agree that french cuffs are currently out for medicine (although still actually okay for law, banking or accounting), bright colored shirts aren't considered interview appropriate, and shiny suits were never "in" for anyone not selling used cars. But a very fine pinstriped gray, navy or charcoal suit is okay -- Brooks Bros has some very conservative suits with faint pinstripes -- very classic and "in". Also some bright colored ties are okay, especially things in the rad or blue family -- even a satiny Donald Trump style pink tie can pass for acceptable if the rest of the outfit is extremely conservative -- I've seen people pull this look off in job interview settings. Only take these kinds of risks if you are sure you have good conservative taste, or have some input from someone who does.

I found a great deal at Men's Wearhouse. It's a nice faint black pinstripe suit. They helped me with a nice medium blue with white stripe shirt and yellow tie (again, you'd have to see it).

My suggestion to the guys out there. Spend the money on a new suit if you don't have one. The one you used for med school interviews just doesn't cut it if you haven't worn it since. Like someone else said above, you're investing a boat load of cash on interviewing and flying and such, what's another $500-700 for a nice suit and shirt/tie combo's.

are 3/4 sleeve suit jackets okay for women? and where are you ladies getting your skirt suits from? most places don't have that many suits available now. i went to ann taylor yesterday and they had 1 suit. :(

There's no rule about whether you should wear dark or light ties (at least there shouldn't be). So long as it all looks professional when put together. And that's not something anyone can assess online.

While there are times that the old saying Vestis virum facit holds true (essentially "the clothes make the man"), something that looks professional and appropo on one person may look totally goofy on another.

So funny.......you're going to be making decisions that will effect people's lives yet you come to a forum to ask how to dress! Classic high Step scores.

are 3/4 sleeve suit jackets okay for women? and where are you ladies getting your skirt suits from? most places don't have that many suits available now. i went to ann taylor yesterday and they had 1 suit. :(

I would say no on 3/4 length sleeves... this is a formal occasion so I'd wear full length sleeves. I ordered mine online from Macy's, they have a pretty big selection.

So funny.......you're going to be making decisions that will effect people's lives yet you come to a forum to ask how to dress! Classic high Step scores.

I'd also ask for advice on funny noises my car makes... something I wouldn't do if I were a mechanic. Being a doctor doesn't make you an expert on anything outside of medicine, and that includes dressing.

I'd also ask for advice on funny noises my car makes... something I wouldn't do if I were a mechanic. Being a doctor doesn't make you an expert on anything outside of medicine, and that includes dressing.

Hmmm. Okay, so you also had to ask whether or not to chew with your mouth open? Is it okay to be late? Can I chew gum while interviewing? Can I call the director by his/her first name?..........Sorry..not buying it. Common sense should prevail on this one unless maybe you're ten years old.