interview cancelling etiquette

Discussion in 'General Residency Issues' started by triathlete411, Sep 27, 2002.

1. triathlete411

triathlete411 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

What is the proper way to cancel an interview? Should one send an email, phone, write a letter? Is an explanation for the cancellation necessary? And when is it too late to cancel an interview?

2. womansurg

womansurg it's a hard life...
    7+ Year Member

Just call the program coordinator (the secretary). They won't like you if you cancel last minute, because they could have put someone else in that spot, but otherwise it's no big deal. No showing is in very poor taste, and program directors talk to each other, so just use common decency.

ws

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  3. surg

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    totally agree. A nice phone call will solve the situation and gives the program the maximum chance to fill that interview spot. Just as a side note, I have had a couple of friends who, upon calling to cancel their interview due to a time conflict, were offered alternate times that solved their conflict. Wouldn't expect that sort of treatment but it may work to your benefit. A no show is poor form and reflects on you and your school. Don't do it.

4. lisamed07

lisamed07 New Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Is one-week's notice too late to cancel?

5. EM Junkie

EM Junkie SDN Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

Any notice is better than a no-show....

6. Onco

2+ Year Member

I cancelled on ERAS and sent a 'nice' email to the coordinators :) Basically I sent the email to myself and BCC'ed the 6 coordinators. Got a thank you note from one this morning.