Interview clothes. What to/not to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dudeliness

hi
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey so I'm looking for people's opinions on what to wear or not to wear to interviews. Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I'll start. Someone once told me that a black suit, even with pinstripes, is only appropriate at a funeral. So I decided to go with a charcoal color, kind of a lighter charcoal.
What about ties? Some say not to wear a red tie, aka the "power" tie. Others say it doesn't matter.
I'm not over thinking this, honestly, I'm just bored waiting for interview invites etc. so help me out here.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've seen a few applicants wear black suits. I don't believe I saw any of them wearing the power tie. I would stay away from it, but that's just me.

For one of my interviews I wore a sport coat. For the others I wore a charcoal suit.

Some recent threads to look at if you haven't already done so:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842733

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842732

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=871637&highlight=clothes

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=848101&highlight=clothes

My suit: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/hickey-...ferralID=84e4df8d-ace3-11e1-8e16-001b2166becc

My shoes: http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/cole-ha...wordsearch&fashionColor=BLACK&resultback=3418

I've got a few solid light blue shirts. As of right now I only have one tie that I think will match the shirt/suit and it's purple/blue. It has a design similar to this one: http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/canali-...=category&fashionColor=Purple&resultback=1166 Different brand though. The one I bought is a David Donahue.. if that even matters.

I've seen a few applicants wear black suits. I don't believe I saw any of them wearing the power tie. I would stay away from it, but that's just me.

For one of my interviews I wore a sport coat. For the others I wore a charcoal suit.

Some recent threads to look at if you haven't already done so:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842733

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=842732

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=871637&highlight=clothes

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=848101&highlight=clothes

Come on! I've seen most of those threads, I just want one of my own with other DO applicants comments!
Just kidding, kind of. Thanks for the links neuroLAX. Any info is most appreciated.

I had a friend 2 years ago interview at DMU, and his interviewer commented on his slip-on shoes, and asked him if his shoes were an extension of his personality, and if he was really that lazy that he couldn't tie shoelaces.... :confused:

Now i doubt this is a common question asked by interviewers, it sounded like he was just in a bad mood, but regardless, I am not taking any chances... No slip-ons for me :)

Just make sure you're suit is tailored - probably goes without saying lol. I purchaced two suits. One is navy blue and one is light grey and both are slim fit. I like notched lapels on single breasted coats with modern front pants (just a preference). I also like brown shoes and both colors allow me to wear them. I wear thinner ties since they make me look taller lol. I was so happy i found my dream tie the other day. A plush royal blue, 2" beauty! I wore her for my committee interview and got a compliment on my choice.

Does getting it tailored really matter? I've worn suits for years, sometimes quite extensively, and never had them "tailored" other than getting the pants hemmed to the right length or whatever. Does it really make that much difference?
I just bought a suit at JCPenny and right off the rack I feel like it fits pretty near perfect, but I may be just plain uneducated about suits in general. I just would hate to fork over the money for alterations and then have there not be much of a difference in how it looks. Lol

Almost everything you see on "Suits" is fair game lol

Except those skinny ties. I'm ok with "slim" ties, but some of those skinny ones look ridiculous.

Does getting it tailored really matter? I've worn suits for years,
sometimes quite extensively, and never had them "tailored" other than getting the pants hemmed to the right length or whatever. Does it really make that much difference?
I just bought a suit at JCPenny and right off the rack I feel like it fits pretty near perfect, but I may be just plain uneducated about suits in general. I just would hate to fork over the money for alterations and then have there not be much of a difference in how it looks. Lol

As long as it fits well I think you're fine.

I had a friend 2 years ago interview at DMU, and his interviewer commented on his slip-on shoes, and asked him if his shoes were an extension of his personality, and if he was really that lazy that he couldn't tie shoelaces.... :confused:

Now i doubt this is a common question asked by interviewers, it sounded like he was just in a bad mood, but regardless, I am not taking any chances... No slip-ons for me :)

Hmm, good point. I've heard that some people think you can really tell a lot about a person by their shoes and how well-kept they are.
I've been considering getting new dress shoes for interviews since mine are 6 years old and have been walked in literally thousands of miles (I used to wear them a lot), but they still look pretty good. Everything is costing so much money and I'm already having to use credit cards, I'd just hate to spend more on some shoes if I don't have to. Hmm....

Members don't see this ad :)
It's not essential for the coat if you have a perfect fit but I guess it depends on the definition of a perfect fit. I've read that the general rule for coat length is that you should be able to curl your fingers under the side of your coat while standing and that you generall shouldn't show more than a half inch of your you shirt - out of your sleeve - when your arms are at rest, but who really knows...Pants are almost a sure thing for tailoring, you don't genrally want a huge break in your pants since it makes them look baggy (I don't like any break).

Appologies, I'm very neurotic about suits and have done entirely too much research.

"Break"?

my suite is slim fit straight leg, is it a total deal breaker if the pants are fitting to me, and not loose? I was told I'd be sitting most of the time so no one would notice.

I have NO IDEA how to dress well. I will be going to buy shoes soon because I simply have none to interview in. I guess maybe I'll purchase a tie as well. I have some but honestly I think they look kinda ratty at this point, need new! The rest I'll just use what I have, decent enough but I won't be the best dressed by any means. My only hope is that other pre-meds are as ignorant as me when it comes to fashion.

Ultimately, what you say/do at an interview is far more important than how you dress. Now, don't get me wrong I'm not saying you shouldnt strive to look good, but obsessing over perfectly tailored suits and so forth is pointless (and a waste of money).

With that being said, there are some simple things you can do that make a big difference. Make sure your belt and shoes are the same color, and that your pants and socks are the same color, avoid "aggressive" tie colors like red and orange, et cetera.

But you sure as hell don't have to drop a bunch of $$$ on a tailored suit to look good.

Ultimately, what you say/do at an interview is far more important than how you dress. Now, don't get me wrong I'm not saying you shouldnt strive to look good, but obsessing over perfectly tailored suits and so forth is pointless (and a waste of money).

But you sure as hell don't have to drop a bunch of $$$ on a tailored suit to look good.

Doesn't mean you can't dress well on a budget. Get a cheaper suit (say, this: http://dappered.com/2011/08/in-person-the-j-crew-factory-suit/) and make sure to get it tailored! Tailoring only costs around $60, depending on the modifications the tailor has to make - just make sure you get the right shoulder size and jacket length. I like a small to medium break on my pants.

A well tailored cheap suit > an expensive ill-fitting suit

Charcoal is a versatile color, not as formal as black. Just wear a nice tie (say blue), nice shoes, and don't look like a slob or someone weird (e.g. if you're a guy, don't show up to the pre-interview gathering with waist-length hair and keep compulsively stroking its entire length. Yea, we've seen one like that.)

Getting your dress shirt tailored is nice, but it won't matter for interviews since you'll have your jacket on all the time.

I actually just bought this suit a couple months ago (got 65% off thanks to my brother-in-law working there). I got new shoes too. I really was in need of a new suit and new shoes anyway.

I'll wear a slim fit white shirt, and not sure about the tie yet. I've had some say do the power tie, others say definitely avoid the power tie. Honestly I'll probably avoid it.

I actually just bought this suit a couple months ago (got 65% off thanks to my brother-in-law working there). I got new shoes too. I really was in need of a new suit and new shoes anyway.

I'll wear a slim fit white shirt, and not sure about the tie yet. I've had some say do the power tie, others say definitely avoid the power tie. Honestly I'll probably avoid it.

I'm probably going to go with a blue tie with blue stripes. Nothing too flashy

I'm probably going to go with a blue tie with blue stripes. Nothing too flashy

I think thats a good call...

I got suited up at Banana Rep this time. Ive had several suits over the years, but their tailored fit...oh yeah :cool: I like it...

Also, I would suggest getting a lint roller and making sure you like your shirt (I'm getting my leaves tailored to the right length, which is cheap) and making sure you have a garment bag. Wear it a few times before the interview and get it dry cleaned a week before. This way, your sure to have all tags off, no hanging threads and no creases.

Also, slip on shoes (dress shoes, not boat shoes ;) ) are more formal. Id suggest slip ons, you wont see the laces.

And think about a tie clip if you aren't used to wearing a tie...after a while, you learn to catch your tie when you lean over, but at first, tie goes in food...not so bueno.

And get a monogrammed handkerchief cause thats awesome...

I think thats a good call...

I got suited up at Banana Rep this time. Ive had several suits over the years, but their tailored fit...oh yeah :cool: I like it...

Also, I would suggest getting a lint roller and making sure you like your shirt (I'm getting my leaves tailored to the right length, which is cheap) and making sure you have a garment bag. Wear it a few times before the interview and get it dry cleaned a week before. This way, your sure to have all tags off, no hanging threads and no creases.

Also, slip on shoes (dress shoes, not boat shoes ;) ) are more formal. Id suggest slip ons, you wont see the laces.

And think about a tie clip if you aren't used to wearing a tie...after a while, you learn to catch your tie when you lean over, but at first, tie goes in food...not so bueno.

And get a monogrammed handkerchief cause thats awesome...

Legit. Also, if you're using a tie clip, try to stay on the conservative side and make sure the tie is big enough to support a clip.

All this talk of suits and interviews is making me feel left out. :(

Next cycle, I'll have my chances, hopefully.

What about for girls?!
I was thinking wearing a pant-suit (not skirt) and flats? or heels?? I'm 5'1 I worry that if i don't wear heels i'll look like a teenager!! LOL. Also, I heard you sort of want to stand out, should i wear a color dress shirt under the suit like a turqouise ?
Also, how about the hair ? Makeup?- I usually put on the regular, but will that come off wrong for med schools?
Don't have an interview yet, but just hopeful!

When I interviewed I wore a black express producer suit set with a navy blue express MX1 and a black skinny tie. I love Express, their stuff fits well for a lot of guys.

What about for girls?!
I was thinking wearing a pant-suit (not skirt) and flats? or heels?? I'm 5'1 I worry that if i don't wear heels i'll look like a teenager!! LOL. Also, I heard you sort of want to stand out, should i wear a color dress shirt under the suit like a turqouise ?
Also, how about the hair ? Makeup?- I usually put on the regular, but will that come off wrong for med schools?
Don't have an interview yet, but just hopeful!
Either skirt or suit works fine for the ladies. It is somewhat true that you want to stand out but you don't want to go over the top. Heels are fine if you are comfortable in them, but keep in mind most schools will take you on a tour throughout the day so be ready to walk a bit in them.

Wow, I would have said "I really hope this this school's teaching quality is not as low as the quality of some of the ADCOMs," and then walked out. :rolleyes:

Yeah I've been wondering about hair too. Should I spike it in the front, part it, leave it alone?
As for jewelry I've heard to stay away from anything other than a wedding ring. Not even a tie clip. That may be excessive, but I do think that French cuffs/cuff links aren't the best idea for this situation.

Yeah I've been wondering about hair too. Should I spike it in the front, part it, leave it alone?
As for jewelry I've heard to stay away from anything other than a wedding ring. Not even a tie clip. That may be excessive, but I do think that French cuffs/cuff links aren't the best idea for this situation.

A watch?

Hmmm, I think this may be a bit too picky...Tie clips and French cuffs(with button only or conservative cuff links) are fine. Any conservative business attire is great.

watches and wedding rings are fine too. These are normal parts of business attire.

edit: heres a good article

http://studentdoctor.net/2010/09/interview-advice-what-to-wear-what-to-wear/

In addition, I'd just like to get people's opinions on this.

Well trimmed beard? (this is how I look daily)

or...

clean shaven? (so I look like I'm 15 again)

or...

I would like to know this as well....

or...

I would say that if you normally wear a beard, and actually grow a full beard, i would go for it.

If your really patchy and it looks weird, I would shave. I personally shave 1-2 times a week, but I will be clean shaven the morning of interviews.

Now if we were talking mustaches.... i would say the bigger the better ;)

Wow...

1334799923-joffrey_large.gif

Hmmm, I think this may be a bit too picky...Tie clips and French cuffs(with button only or conservative cuff links) are fine. Any conservative business attire is great.

watches and wedding rings are fine too. These are normal parts of business attire.

edit: heres a good article

http://studentdoctor.net/2010/09/interview-advice-what-to-wear-what-to-wear/

Hey I'm not saying I was right. I am just repeating what I've heard from others. When it comes to little details like the cuffs or tie clip, I'm pretty much clueless. That's why I threw it out there.

Clean shaven for sure

I am wearing a pencil skirt and a suit jacket. I chose the pencil skirt because it is feminine and professional at the same time.
I would avoid tight clothes, excessive make-up, boobie shirts (sorry boys), and extremely high heels. I am wearing 2 in black heels. They have a little bit of texture so they aren't so boring.

I would stay on the conservative side with color choices (of course, if your suit is black, don't wear a black blouse...things like that). Stay classy and DO NOT wear tight clothes. Also keep your jewelry classy but not too flashy.

That's the advice I've been given.

Now if we were talking mustaches.... i would say the bigger the better ;)

:thumbup: My dean rocks a handlebar mustache. It's awesome.

For interviews I was clean shaven.