Interview clothes. What to/not to wear

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey I'm not saying I was right. I am just repeating what I've heard from others. When it comes to little details like the cuffs or tie clip, I'm pretty much clueless. That's why I threw it out there.

No worries...

I'm sure you'll find some swinging attire to stun the adcoms! ;)

Also, I'm growing handlebars for a possible NSU interview! Haha, love that deans look.

Members don't see this ad.

I had a friend 2 years ago interview at DMU, and his interviewer commented on his slip-on shoes, and asked him if his shoes were an extension of his personality, and if he was really that lazy that he couldn't tie shoelaces.... :confused:

Now i doubt this is a common question asked by interviewers, it sounded like he was just in a bad mood, but regardless, I am not taking any chances... No slip-ons for me :)

That is really silly considering that loafers are generally considered more formal compared to lace-ups. I planned on wearing penny loafers, but I guess I may check out the lace-ups to see if there is anything that looks decent.

thank you for posting this. i had forgotten about interview attire!

Members don't see this ad :)
That is really silly considering that loafers are generally considered more formal compared to lace-ups. I planned on wearing penny loafers, but I guess I may check out the lace-ups to see if there is anything that looks decent.

Unless you really want lace-ups, you are right that slip on is more formal. I only wear slip on with suits because I hate seeing the tied ends of the laces coming out. So then I have to worry about tucking them into the shoe and my life is ruined...

Slip on shoes saved my life

Unless you really want lace-ups, you are right that slip on is more formal. I only wear slip on with suits because I hate seeing the tied ends of the laces coming out. So then I have to worry about tucking them into the shoe and my life is ruined...

Slip on shoes saved my life

You just reminded me why I never wear anything that isn't slip-ons. I am definitely still going with loafers.

I'm growing handlebars for a possible NSU interview! Haha, love that deans look.

LOL. Do it. You need to notify me if/when you get an invite at NSU. I need to see this.

LOL. Do it. You need to notify me if/when you get an invite at NSU. I need to see this.

I may have to cheat...

img-thing

For girls...

I decided on black pinstriped pant suit from Loft with a cheetah print top underneath and a tasteful pearl necklace. Think my hair was held back by a headband? I left off the watch or any hand jewelry because i have the tendency to touch them when I'm nervous. Same reason I had a headband or hairtie instead of just leaving my hair down. The print top was soft and understated with a bit of "oomph." I laughed when the saleslady pulled it out for me, but actually loved it! Spent a few hours and $150 for the whole outfit! WIN.
(for vet school interview)

There's lots of debate about pant or skirt suit. The consensus I ended up with was that pant suit is now seen as more professional in admissions scenarios but to wear a skirt suit if you feel much more comfortable dressed like that. So I wore a pant suit.

I'm not sure many would agree that slipon anything is more formal than a lace-up...

I am wearing a pencil skirt and a suit jacket. I chose the pencil skirt because it is feminine and professional at the same time.
I would avoid tight clothes, excessive make-up, boobie shirts (sorry boys), and extremely high heels. I am wearing 2 in black heels. They have a little bit of texture so they aren't so boring.

I would stay on the conservative side with color choices (of course, if your suit is black, don't wear a black blouse...things like that). Stay classy and DO NOT wear tight clothes. Also keep your jewelry classy but not too flashy.

That's the advice I've been given.

Make sure those heels are comfortable. Some schools have a campus tour as part of interview day.

For girls...

I decided on black pinstriped pant suit from Loft with a cheetah print top underneath and a tasteful pearl necklace. Think my hair was held back by a headband? I left off the watch or any hand jewelry because i have the tendency to touch them when I'm nervous. Same reason I had a headband or hairtie instead of just leaving my hair down. The print top was soft and understated with a bit of "oomph." I laughed when the saleslady pulled it out for me, but actually loved it! Spent a few hours and $150 for the whole outfit! WIN.
(for vet school interview)

There's lots of debate about pant or skirt suit. The consensus I ended up with was that pant suit is now seen as more professional in admissions scenarios but to wear a skirt suit if you feel much more comfortable dressed like that. So I wore a pant suit.

I am wearing a skirt suit. Of course my skirt isn't short, and I do feel more comfortable in a skirt than pants. It's hard for me to find dress pants that flatter my body and look professional. I am very petite and most of the time I just kinda drown inside of dress pants. Skirt is it!

Make sure those heels are comfortable. Some schools have a campus tour as part of interview day.

They are only 2 inch heels.
Basically, they make your legs look nice and still feel like you are wearing flats. It's a win win situation!

Members don't see this ad :)
They are only 2 inch heels.
Basically, they make your legs look nice and still feel like you are wearing flats. It's a win win situation!

I'm a guy. I have no idea at what height the transition between comfortable/uncomfortable occurs. Just wanted to give you a tip.

Consensus among whom? There is no such consensus out there in the real world, as far as I know. As long as the skirt isn't short, a tailored suit is a tailored suit and whether it's pants or a skirt, they both look professional.

At the very best a skirt suit is equivalent to a pant suit. Just be safe at get the pant suit.

I'm not sure many would agree that slipon anything is more formal than a lace-up...

No, slip on dress shoes are more formal than lace-up. This has always been the case.

At the very best a skirt suit is equivalent to a pant suit. Just be safe at get the pant suit.

? Also not the case...you girlfriend needs to catch you up on your fashion sense!! ;)

Either is perfectly fine for a woman. Do whatever you feel looks the best and that the length isn't too short, but a skirt suit is nicer in my opinion...but either is just fine.

No, slip on dress shoes are more formal than lace-up. This has always been the case.

Where did you read/hear this?

? Also not the case...you girlfriend needs to catch you up on your fashion sense!! ;)

Either is perfectly fine for a woman. Do whatever you feel looks the best and that the length isn't too short, but a skirt suit is nicer in my opinion...but either is just fine.

Being professional and being fashionable aren't the same thing. I didn't say a skirt suit was unacceptable. I just said that the safest bet would be the most conservative option (pant suit). I prefer the look of skirt suits too, but nobody is going to fault you for a pant suit, whereas an ultra-conservative might dislike your skirt suit.

No adcom is going to reject someone because of their appropriate-length skirt suit. I swear to you, adcoms are people just like us. Would you reject a candidate because of a skirt suit? Trust me, no one in the interview room will be clutching their pearls because they can see a girl's calves.

clutch-the-pearls.jpg

I lol'd...

Being professional and being fashionable aren't the same thing. I didn't say a skirt suit was unacceptable. I just said that the safest bet would be the most conservative option (pant suit). I prefer the look of skirt suits too, but nobody is going to fault you for a pant suit, whereas an ultra-conservative might dislike your skirt suit.

Thanks for the tip MedPr, I will have to wear my shoes for a whole day before the interview to make sure they don't hurt me.

I have read and heard that in the most conservative professions, women should wear a skirt suit. I don't know if you recall but women in pants used to be gasp worthy back in the day. I though that my skirt would appease the most conservative adcoms because some people still think women should wear skirts in a formal setting and not pants.

I personally love skirts and think they look best on me and make me seem a wee bit taller. Like I said before, I am very petite and I am always afraid of seeming too young and immature. I know when I open my mouth to speak this won't be a problem, but I know that when I walk in the room everyone thinks "Oh geez, is this girl 15?". It happens to me all the time and I want to seem mature and confident that I will be a physician. That's why I am picking a skirt. Every woman I've met in a pencil skirt was rocking it and I wore a pencil skirt while I was shadowing and was asked if I was a colleague of the doctor I was shadowing several times that day. When I said I was a student, they asked me what medical school I attended and what I was in. Then I said I was pre-med and they were surprised at how well-put together I was. When I wore pants everyone asked me if I was in HS still.

It made a big difference for me and how other people perceived me. I probably carry my self in a more confident manner in a skirt because I think I look very sharp.

You know I'm teasing you...but it's fun ;)

But here's one reference for you about shoes. It's not that important, but here ya go: (edit: also, feel free to read that article I posted earlier which addresses the issue as well)

"One of the first laws of fashion is that nothing undermines the effect of a perfectly good suit more unequivocally then a pair of fancy lace-ups..."
- Referenced Book: Handbook of Style by Esquire

A lot of people get the idea of shoes wrong because they think of casual slip ons...if you want laces, be sure they are closed laced. But, I'm still a no laces guy...I like being a tad on the formal side.

Also, conservative's prefer skirts while liberal prefer pant suits, FYI. Counter intuitive but an interesting tid bit.

+1
Personal opinion

+2. I've never ever ever heard or thought that slip-ons were more formal. Which is why when you wear a tuxedo, you don't wear slip-ons (at least I've never seen any with a tuxedo) but lace-ups.

+2. I've never ever ever heard or thought that slip-ons were more formal. Which is why when you wear a tuxedo, you don't wear slip-ons (at least I've never seen any with a tuxedo) but lace-ups.

Its ok to wear lace ups, but Id be sure to find some closed laced one's. But its true, a formal slip on is more formal than lace ups.

.I've already posted an article about it and a further reference a couple posts above.

But, personal preference is personal..so feel free to tie it up! ;)

Im just one of those people who have to correct a misconception no matter what it is...

edit: For those who dont want to read the article...

"You do not have to go the expensive route with shoes. However, the adage "you get what you pay for" tends to be clearly demonstrated when it comes to this area of your outfit. The best bet is to have a good quality pair of shoes that are darker in color than your suit. Black would be appropriate for any of the suit colors previously mentioned. When it comes to the style of your shoes, there is not an appreciable difference between slip on loafers and lace up shoes. Loafers are technically more formal, however, it's easy for snow and slush to spill over the edge of loafers and leave you with the unpleasant feeling of wet socks. Keep this in mind if you are interviewing in regions where snow may be an issue"

"One of the first laws of fashion is that nothing undermines the effect of a perfectly good suit more unequivocally then a pair of fancy lace-ups..."

Obviously not a big deal, but I do like being right...lol

Its ok to wear lace ups, but Id be sure to find some closed laced one's. But its true, a formal slip on is more formal than lace ups.

.I've already posted an article about it and a further reference a couple posts above.

But, personal preference is personal..so feel free to tie it up! ;)

Im just one of those people who have to correct a misconception no matter what it is...

edit: For those who dont want to read the article...

"You do not have to go the expensive route with shoes. However, the adage “you get what you pay for” tends to be clearly demonstrated when it comes to this area of your outfit. The best bet is to have a good quality pair of shoes that are darker in color than your suit. Black would be appropriate for any of the suit colors previously mentioned. When it comes to the style of your shoes, there is not an appreciable difference between slip on loafers and lace up shoes. Loafers are technically more formal, however, it’s easy for snow and slush to spill over the edge of loafers and leave you with the unpleasant feeling of wet socks. Keep this in mind if you are interviewing in regions where snow may be an issue"

Obviously not a big deal, but I do like being right...lol

I find that funny because even looking it up or googling it (this made me curious) everything I've found has said that either one is likely ok, but loafers are less formal.

I find that funny because even looking it up or googling it (this made me curious) everything I've found has said that either one is likely ok, but loafers are less formal.

The internet is full of bad info ;) haha...its not that big of deal. I don't think any adcom will even notice your laces or lack thereof.

But really...fashion has so many rules and it changes with every year.

I think you, and most people, realize what are good and what are bad shoes...

Guys, please, please remove the thread holding together the vent of your suit. I saw at least 5+ guys drowning in black suits with the vent still sewed. How does that even look natural? It's even looks like it's supposed to be removed and yet... it wasn't. I silently chuckled to myself for the entire interview day.

Guys, please, please remove the thread holding together the vent of your suit. I saw at least 5+ guys drowning in black suits with the vent still sewed. How does that even look natural? It's even looks like it's supposed to be removed and yet... it wasn't. I silently chuckled to myself for the entire interview day.

Haha nice. Also, those front pockets with the flaps over them, they're for decoration. Don't put things in them! That's what the inside pockets are for!

I don't think a black suit is a no-no as long as you're not wearing a black tie. Wear a tie with some color in it, and maybe an off-white or light-blue dress shirt, and the black doesn't matter.

Most people wear a black or navy suit with a white shirt and red tie. The irony is that the "power tie" is so cliche it doesn't draw much attention.

If a black suit is all you have and you don't want to spend money, then go for it. You won't be the only one wearing black.. however if you have no suit and you're going to throw down cash anyway, get a charcoal or a navy suit. Just do it. The threads linked above explain it all.

Thanks for the tip MedPr, I will have to wear my shoes for a whole day before the interview to make sure they don't hurt me.

I have read and heard that in the most conservative professions, women should wear a skirt suit. I don't know if you recall but women in pants used to be gasp worthy back in the day. I though that my skirt would appease the most conservative adcoms because some people still think women should wear skirts in a formal setting and not pants.

I personally love skirts and think they look best on me and make me seem a wee bit taller. Like I said before, I am very petite and I am always afraid of seeming too young and immature. I know when I open my mouth to speak this won't be a problem, but I know that when I walk in the room everyone thinks "Oh geez, is this girl 15?". It happens to me all the time and I want to seem mature and confident that I will be a physician. That's why I am picking a skirt. Every woman I've met in a pencil skirt was rocking it and I wore a pencil skirt while I was shadowing and was asked if I was a colleague of the doctor I was shadowing several times that day. When I said I was a student, they asked me what medical school I attended and what I was in. Then I said I was pre-med and they were surprised at how well-put together I was. When I wore pants everyone asked me if I was in HS still.

It made a big difference for me and how other people perceived me. I probably carry my self in a more confident manner in a skirt because I think I look very sharp.

I think a skirt is totally fine. I think the most important thing about dressing professionally is looking comfortable. Make it look like you are used to wearing clothes like that. It needs to fit well, be flattering to your body type, and be comfortable. In my opinion, skirts should be at knee or just below. Anything higher is too short.

I chose to go the pant suit route because I am so uncomfortable in skirts. If I'm uncomfortable in my clothes then it will probably make me more nervous. I'm also very tall so I feel like a skirt would be way too distracting.

As far as color, haha this one is up for debate. I remember when I was at work in the ER, the management was interviewing for their new crop of residents and the nurse manager came out of the room looking all pissed off and said, "WHY does everyone wear black or gray!?!" I'm so tired of it! Next person that comes in wearing a different color is getting hired!

I'm sure she was joking but I enjoyed her rant. So I am taking a risk and wearing a beige/olive colored suit. It looks great, fits perfectly, and is very conservative. It was also really expensive :( I got it at Ann Taylor. I'll probably tone down the light color with a darker top and darker shoes. I haven't decided yet.

Hair always looks more professional when it's pulled back off of your face. Either half up or all of it should be up. Make up should be modest and light with neutral colors.

Last edited:
Fashion-wise, the most conservative organization in the country might be the US State Department and yet the last two Secretaries of State have been women and they have worn pants while on official business.

If you think you look great in a skirt and it is not too short, go ahead but don't eschew pants because you think that they are frowned upon by conservative adcoms.

You know I'm teasing you...but it's fun ;)

But here's one reference for you about shoes. It's not that important, but here ya go: (edit: also, feel free to read that article I posted earlier which addresses the issue as well)

A lot of people get the idea of shoes wrong because they think of casual slip ons...if you want laces, be sure they are closed laced. But, I'm still a no laces guy...I like being a tad on the formal side.

Also, conservative's prefer skirts while liberal prefer pant suits, FYI. Counter intuitive but an interesting tid bit.

Your quote, even if not taken completely out of context, refers only to fashion. An "A" in fashion is not necessarily an "A" in professionalism/formal(ism?).

Fashion-wise, the most conservative organization in the country might be the US State Department and yet the last two Secretaries of State have been women and they have worn pants while on official business.

If you think you look great in a skirt and it is not too short, go ahead but don't eschew pants because you think that they are frowned upon by conservative adcoms.

+1.

Your quote, even if not taken completely out of context, refers only to fashion. An "A" in fashion is not necessarily an "A" in professionalism/formal(ism?).

haha, thats a noble justification effort...but a quote about shoes doesn't need any further context. And we are talking about the fashion aspect of professionalism, nothing more or less.

So, again, if you do want to wear lace ups...do it. But I'd suggest closed laces. I'd rather be more formal and wear a no laces business shoe. Less worry.

As for Lizzy's comment, she is right about wearing what is comfortable for you...but it is more traditional/conservative for a woman to wear a proper length skirt and more fashion forward/liberal to wear a pant suit. Ether is fine though! I don't think anyone mentioned adcoms caring which one you choose...

I guess we're all bored if we're debating this...but hey, I love a good debate!

i think a skirt is totally fine. I think the most important thing about dressing professionally is looking comfortable. Make it look like you are used to wearing clothes like that. it needs to fit well, be flattering to your body type, and be comfortable. In my opinion, skirts should be at knee or just below. Anything higher is too short.

I chose to go the pant suit route because i am so uncomfortable in skirts. If i'm uncomfortable in my clothes then it will probably make me more nervous. I'm also very tall so i feel like a skirt would be way too distracting.

+1

I didn't even think about that! Very true!
Times have changed!

I think a skirt is totally fine. I think the most important thing about dressing professionally is looking comfortable. Make it look like you are used to wearing clothes like that. It needs to fit well, be flattering to your body type, and be comfortable. In my opinion, skirts should be at knee or just below. Anything higher is too short.

I chose to go the pant suit route because I am so uncomfortable in skirts. If I'm uncomfortable in my clothes then it will probably make me more nervous. I'm also very tall so I feel like a skirt would be way too distracting.

As far as color, haha this one is up for debate. I remember when I was at work in the ER, the management was interviewing for their new crop of residents and the nurse manager came out of the room looking all pissed off and said, "WHY does everyone wear black or gray!?!" I'm so tired of it! Next person that comes in wearing a different color is getting hired!

I'm sure she was joking but I enjoyed her rant. So I am taking a risk and wearing a beige/olive colored suit. It looks great, fits perfectly, and is very conservative. It was also really expensive :( I got it at Ann Taylor. I'll probably tone down the light color with a darker top and darker shoes. I haven't decided yet.

Hair always looks more professional when it's pulled back off of your face. Either half up or all of it should be up. Make up should be modest and light with neutral colors.

Thanks for the hair advice...I am still pondering what to do with mine. I always wear it down and tend to mess with it at lot when it's up. I will have to think of something to do.

How much is a reasonable amount to spend on a suit?

How much is a reasonable amount to spend on a suit?

I would say don't expect to get anything good for much less than $230 on sale. In my experience anything cheaper than that is, well, cheap.

Oh wow, I like it. I'm sure it's a little lighter in person but yeah, brown shoes would totally work!

This is my grey suit: http://www1.macys.com/shop/product/...ommy Hilfiger&sp=1&spc=24&ruleId=66&slotId=21

It's like half a shade lighter in person.

So let's say my suit is as dark grey as the one you posted a picture of, because I think mines slightly darker than what I posted. Do you think brown shoes would go well with that or are brown shoes not really appropriate for a med school interview? Anybody?