Interview Day $0.02

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

eatingcake

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Friends, put thine phones away during interview day.

Texting or constantly looking at phones is a telltale sign of boredom, insecurity or some other form of I-don't-wanna-be-here-esque feeling. You know how I know? Because my phone is my favorite uncomfortable social situation crutch...during social situations, when it's considered acceptable to use my phone. Interviews aren't one of those times.

Put it away. Relax. Smile. You will make it through the day a stronger person (and more flatteringly evaluated) without it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
I heard from one of the medical students, that when he interviewed, he and the other applicants were placed in a room and made to watch a presentation about the school (everyone else had stepped out, which left only the applicants). He said the majority of the people took their phones out while the video was playing. What they all failed to notice was that there was a camera in the room facing them and he saw the light on recording. He is not 100% sure the video was being saved to watch later on, though when I interviewed at that school, I saw the cameras facing us in the top corner with the little light on. So, just so you all know, you may be watched (not just with a camera) all throughout your interview to see if you are genuinely interested in the school.

Reactions: 3 users
I've heard that if admissions staff or anybody else see you with your phone out, it doesn't look good. I have left my phone in the car at each of my interviews and wear a watch for the time. It's too tempting to have my phone on me - I don't want to take the chance that I'll absentmindedly pull it out.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Wait... People have to be told that?!?

Reactions: 12 users
I heard from one of the medical students, that when he interviewed, he and the other applicants were placed in a room and made to watch a presentation about the school (everyone else had stepped out, which left only the applicants). He said the majority of the people took their phones out while the video was playing. What they all failed to notice was that there was a camera in the room facing them and he saw the light on recording...

Whoa. I can't even decide how likely I think it is that we're being recorded. Or how I feel about the prospect. The thought hadn't even occurred to me. In fact, I'm trying to erase it from my brain now.

You can take the phone out for a little bit. Just don't do it for long. Checking the time or a map on your phone is normal and fine. But be social if you and are with other applicants.

You can take the phone out for a little bit. Just don't do it for long. Checking the time or a map on your phone is normal and fine. But be social if you and are with other applicants.

I agree; there are a handful of legit reasons that someone might briefly look at their phone. I was more referring to people who have their phones on the table all day or are actually texting openly throughout the day.

That said, I think a common perception of young people looking at their phones is disengagement from their immediate environment. Therefore, if looking at your phone is avoidable, I'd still say avoid it, esp. based on some of the comments above.

so i'm just a sophomore and know nothing about interviews. but I'm wondering if there's really no situation where it'd be ok to check your phone? in the waiting room to be interviewed? what are you supposed to be doing that is so much more important than checking your email? looking at the wall?

so i'm just a sophomore and know nothing about interviews. but I'm wondering if there's really no situation where it'd be ok to check your phone? in the waiting room to be interviewed? what are you supposed to be doing that is so much more important than checking your email? looking at the wall?

Talk with other people.

Reactions: 7 users
The interactions of applicants in the waiting area are available for observation.
Someone who sits alone, texting, is losing many opportunities.

Converse? Be friendly? This is the one day that your email does not need to be checked. Just show that you can spend more than a few hours without getting sidetracked by your gadgets.

I'm wondering if there's really no situation where it'd be ok to check your phone? in the waiting room to be interviewed? what are you supposed to be doing that is so much more important than checking your email? looking at the wall?

Talking to your fellow interviewees??

The thing that probably isn't very obvious when you're 22 is that some of your fellow interviewees are going to end up being your colleagues. You're just starting out so sometimes it doesn't seem like other pre-meds have much to offer in an admissions waiting room. But a lot of them will become doctors eventually and forming early relationships is never a bad thing. Some of them will become faculty somewhere someday. Some will potentially be an employer or a job source. Some will become friends. Never a bad thing to reach out for those contacts early.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
hahaha damn yall just crucified me. Never really occurred to me that youd all be sitting in the same room together. i always figured youd be on your own in the waiting room of whichever doc is interviewing you. Please don't chalk me up to an antisocial dingus, more of just an uninformed sophomore lmao

hahaha damn yall just crucified me. Never really occurred to me that youd all be sitting in the same room together. i always figured youd be on your own in the waiting room of whichever doc is interviewing you. Please don't chalk me up to an antisocial dingus, more of just an uninformed sophomore lmao
Better to learn now then to learn at your interview!

There sometimes is periods where you're separated from other interviewees, but there's a lot of mingling with other applicants :)

Well, there's always the "sit and stare at the clock while we mull over the fact that we're competing for the same slots" awkward silence option lol. Not nearly as productive.

Well, there's always the "sit and stare at the clock while we mull over the fact that we're competing for the same slots" awkward silence option lol. Not nearly as productive.
By the time you are in an interview group, you are no longer competing with each other.
The potential to be accepted is there for all of you.

Reactions: 8 users
Saw a kid at an interview today that was typing on their phone as the dean gave their talk. Not great.

To be fair when you're waiting for your actual interview many times you will be alone outside an office so it would be impossible to socialize. It doesn't look good if they walk put and see you on your phone--but that's all interviews not just med school.

Outstanding advice!!!

Friends, put thine phones away during interview day.

Texting or constantly looking at phones is a telltale sign of boredom, insecurity or some other form of I-don't-wanna-be-here-esque feeling. You know how I know? Because my phone is my favorite uncomfortable social situation crutch...during social situations, when it's considered acceptable to use my phone. Interviews aren't one of those times.

Put it away. Relax. Smile. You will make it through the day a stronger person (and more flatteringly evaluated) without it.

I guarantee you that this was noted and that kid will be rejected.
Saw a kid at an interview today that was typing on their phone as the dean gave their talk. Not great.

Reactions: 2 users
I dunno how strict they are about this... I agree with everyone that you shouldn't take your phone out at least for common courtesy, but I've seen admissions staff, tour guides/lunch students, and even deans (yes deans) take their phones out and text while someone else is talking or a presentation is going on. It doesn't mean I'm going to do it, but it didn't seem like it was a huge deal. Maybe it depends on the school?

I had an interviewer pull out his phone during the interview...

I interviewed at a school out west and completely dropped the ball on one question. I have two research experiences, the first one was over 3 years ago. Was grilled on it, and I honestly forgot all the details and the purpose of the project, my mentor did not explain anything to me at all, I just went through the motions and mentor was not open to going over stuff/ was always short with me and rude, so I later left the lab. I knew everything asked about my most recent research which ive done for almost two years. I know this made me look soo bad and am freaking out. can i expect an outright rejection?
Was it a research focused school?

In one of my interviews, the interviewers phone went off. A couple minutes later, she said she was cramping up, and she started doing yoga on the floor. She must've been bored with my responses.

A dude pulled out a big bag of pretzels mid presentation at one of my recent interviews... Like, come on, man...

Reactions: 1 users
I dunno how strict they are about this... I agree with everyone that you shouldn't take your phone out at least for common courtesy, but I've seen admissions staff, tour guides/lunch students, and even deans (yes deans) take their phones out and text while someone else is talking or a presentation is going on. It doesn't mean I'm going to do it, but it didn't seem like it was a huge deal. Maybe it depends on the school?

Admissions staff--not interviewing for a MS spot
Tour guides--not interviewing for a MS spot
Deans--not interviewing for a MS spot

You--interviewing for a MS spot

There's a big distinction here.

Reactions: 9 users

Exactly. There is ONE DAY for you to actually show the school that you want to be there. Checking your phone every few minutes doesn't really paint a convincing picture. For the students, staff, and faculty it's just another day on campus.

To add on to the thread topic, I think you have to go into the interview day just assuming that all of your behavior is being scrutinized to some extent.
To tell a law job interview horror story (this is before the ubiquitous cellphone age), I was having lunch with a senior partner one afternoon at a pretty swanky restaurant. I was just a summer clerk then and your summer job at the firm was basically your interview. This senior partner was talking to me about joining the tax department at the firm (it was his department, essentially). Meanwhile, two tables over, another firm attorney was having an interview lunch with a prospect. Halfway through our lunch the senior partner leaned over to me and said, "That prospect has terrible table manners. He's done." I just kind of looked at him and he said, "How can this person represent our firm with clients when he eats like that?" I took away from that discussion that you never know when you're being judged during an interview. So just assume you're always being judged.

About the tour guides, if they're an MS4, they're probably pinging their email for interview invites, which can require a very timely response in order to get a slot. Sorry guys.

I had an interviewer pull out his phone during the interview...
Same but he said there was a transplant going on seemed important!

I saw this guy yawn not one, but four times in front of the Dean of Admissions while she was giving a talk. What is going on in his head??

I saw this guy yawn not one, but four times in front of the Dean of Admissions while she was giving a talk. What is going on in his head??
See this guy was retired haha. Doubtful it was that urgent.

About yawning...

That's just neurotic of you to assume it'll be held against him. Adcoms are people too and not every slip up will register or be judged by apocalyptic standards.

About yawning...

That's just neurotic of you to assume it'll be held against him. Adcoms are people too and not every slip up will register or be judged by apocalyptic standards.

Agreed. Yawning isn't exactly something you have complete control over. As long as you aren't obnoxious about it (e.g. really loud yawning, stretching out your arms, etc.) it really ought not to be a problem. Just cover your mouth, try to suppress it, and carry on. I was recovering from a cold during my interview day and had to pause a few times to cough into a tissue. I highly doubt that that would be a deciding factor.

Falling asleep, on the other hand, is not acceptable. I noticed a guy nodding off during the financial aid talk and seriously wanted to throw something at him to wake him up. (I was definitely cringing in second hand embarrassment for him...)

Agreed. Yawning isn't exactly something you have complete control over. As long as you aren't obnoxious about it (e.g. really loud yawning, stretching out your arms, etc.) it really ought not to be a problem. Just cover your mouth, try to suppress it, and carry on. I was recovering from a cold during my interview day and had to pause a few times to cough into a tissue. I highly doubt that that would be a deciding factor.

Falling asleep, on the other hand, is not acceptable. I noticed a guy nodding off during the financial aid talk and seriously wanted to throw something at him to wake him up. (I was definitely cringing in second hand embarrassment for him...)

Lol... Considering the ghastly cost of OOS tuition at the place I was at, everyone was definitely paying attention during the financial aid talk.

About yawning...

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think it's really disrespectful and rude. And plus it just happened a bunch. I mean you have some control over it. Get more sleep. It's only 8am. You think patients would rave about their doc who walked in the room and started yawning? Apocalyptic standards is an extreme assumption about what I was referring to. It just comes down to respect I think.

jesus f christ if its considered rude to be sleepy at your interview i might have to rethink this whole medicine thing

Yawning isn't rude (as long as you cover your mouth; no one wants to see your tonsils), but one applicant was slumped onto the table with his chin in his hand FIVE FEET FROM THE DEAN as she gave the introductory talk.

I'm pretty sure this is one of those things that gyngyn or Goro don't need to answer to come to a consensus. I think it's a common sense thing to understand that a.) no, ADCOMs are not going to smite you for being sleepy and needing to yawn (for God's sake, it's a reflex and not something you can entirely control) b.) as long as you're not making a performance piece out of it I don't think it's an issue. Cover your mouth, maybe avert your gaze while doing so, and move on with your life.

No offense, but I figured this would be a non-issue and not something we would need to have a serious conversation about with consultations from our fabulous faculty members.

Last edited:
Yawning isn't rude (as long as you cover your mouth; no one wants to see your tonsils), but one applicant was slumped onto the table with his chin in his hand FIVE FEET FROM THE DEAN as she gave the introductory talk.

You're kidding me!

Surely, one can understand that an applicant may be jet lagged (especially if they're coming from the other coast!) and may yawn because they are genuinely tired from a long flight the day before. But slumping on the table just shows a weakness that shouldn't be present if you want to become a doctor.

Not to mention any of those people may be taking care of patients and communicating important things about their care while they take time from their schedules to interview you.

Gah, everything now is just gut reaction face value...people don't seem to consider others' situations at all in depth anymore.

Phone addiction is real.

Support the NoPhone campaign, a hassle-free solution to phoneless anxiety: http://nophone.eu

Maybe I'm old fashioned but I think it's really disrespectful and rude. And plus it just happened a bunch. I mean you have some control over it. Get more sleep. It's only 8am. You think patients would rave about their doc who walked in the room and started yawning? Apocalyptic standards is an extreme assumption about what I was referring to. It just comes down to respect I think.

Keep in mind many people are flying from across the country. I had to wake up at 2:30am my time to make a 7:30 interview on the east coast, and my flight got in late the night before. I did not yawn away at interviews, but just saying. Not everyone has this luxury,

Keep in mind many people are flying from across the country. I had to wake up at 2:30am my time to make a 7:30 interview on the east coast, and my flight got in late the night before. I did not yawn away at interviews, but just saying. Not everyone has this luxury,
Right I understand that. He was an undergrad there so that doesn't fit this case. Maybe I just have high/old school standards. I was an interviewer for my undergrad and job and have evaluated over a hundred candidates. Yawning is natural yes but I go back to my point of the signal it sends. I had an student show up in sweatpants and flip flops to an interview. Similar idea I think.