Interview Dilemma

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

leturbinator

Good luck everyone applying this year!
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I hope you're all doing well and you application cycle is successfully. I've run into a bit of dilemma concerning interviews.
So I'm a NY resident, and I applied almost everywhere given my relatively low MCAT score (502). I'm starting to get interviews from places in the midwest like Des Moines and ATSU-SOMA, but I've been told that I should hold off on interviewing there until I hear back from schools that around me (NYCOM, Rowan, VCOM, etc.). I know that the longer that I wait, the less of a chance I may have at securing a seat at the schools that I got an interview from. I really am lost at what I should do at this point.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate any and all help.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone!

I hope you're all doing well and you application cycle is successfully. I've run into a bit of dilemma concerning interviews.
So I'm a NY resident, and I applied almost everywhere given my relatively low MCAT score (502). I'm starting to get interviews from places in the midwest like Des Moines and ATSU-SOMA, but I've been told that I should hold off on interviewing there until I hear back from schools that around me (NYCOM, Rowan, VCOM, etc.). I know that the longer that I wait, the less of a chance I may have at securing a seat at the schools that I got an interview from. I really am lost at what I should do at this point.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read this, I really appreciate any and all help.
Same!! I'm a PA resident so I think we're in the same boat. Money doesn't grow on trees, unfortunately

Reactions: 1 user
Who told you that? Terrible advice. Go to your interviews as early as you can!

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand money might be tight, but you would be foolish to let those interviews slide/delay them. If you have a car fill up the gas and drive there if you have to. There is no guarantee you'll get IIs to those schools and if you already invested money in applying to these schools why would you not want to go?

Reactions: 4 users
Why did you apply if you were hesitant of trying to get in to the best of your abilities

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone!

That's some bad advice my friend. Go to the interviews! You only need one acceptance to help you become a physician. What if the only acceptances you get are from there? Besides, if you don't want those interviews I'll take them

Sent from my SM-G928T using Tapatalk

Reactions: 2 users
Until you get one acceptance, you cannot be picky. Being originally from Hawaii, I had no regional preference from any DO school and overall had to pay more my interviews. In the end, it was all worth it.

Reactions: 3 users
I can understand your struggle. I'm from the Philly area and have an II at ACOM. Flights can be out of this world. I've decided to just drive the 15 hours instead. Personally, I would not give up an interview NO MATTER WHAT if I wasn't accepted somewhere else already. It's just too big of a risk. You should definitely go to the interview, and just drive there if the plane tickets are too expensive.

Hi everyone!

You have been given advice that was so bad, it was malicious.

You have a real thing, and a possibility. Which one do you pick???????

Please ignore the advice of clueless pre-meds, or incompetent advisors.

DO schools work on rolling admissions...you're viable through springtime.

You have been given advice that was so bad, it was malicious.

You have a real thing, and a possibility. Which one do you pick???????

Please ignore the advice of clueless pre-meds, or incompetent advisors.

DO schools work on rolling admissions...you're viable through springtime.
So @Goro what would you advise a person who is struggling financially and has looming interview costs staring them in the face... and is hoping for some love for a school that is closer to their place of residence? Take every II you receive or not?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
So GORO what would you advise a person who is struggling financially and has looming interview costs staring them in the face... and is hoping for some love for a school that is closer to their place of residence? Take every II you receive or not?

Take every II you receive. For every one interview I attended, a mainlander could attend 3-5. You can even take your car and drive to most of them, if your up for an 8-12 hour drive. I had to rent a car (which adds even more insane costs) in ALL my situations.

Its up to you if the risk is worth it, and it is up to you to save up for it.

So @Goro what would you advise a person who is struggling financially and has looming interview costs staring them in the face... and is hoping for some love for a school that is closer to their place of residence? Take every II you receive or not?
I can't sugar coat this. This is an expensive process. One has to learn how to budget.

You can NOT rely on getting an II to your dream school. Most applicants get only a single accept! What are you going to do if you turn down the interview and never get anymore???

“Dream schools are like dream girls: better in the abstract than reality”. –The exceptionally wise gyngyn

Reactions: 6 users
Hi everyone!

You should interview at every school you would go to ASAP. DMU is like the best DO school (according to the DOs I shadowed here in Pennsylvania). You should schedule that today.

+1 for going to all interviews that you receive, barring inability due to severe financial concerns.

If you prefer some of the regional schools closer to you, I see even more reason to attend an interview at a non-regional institution first. The real-world practice and possible peace-of-mind from an acceptance elsewhere could only help you shine in the interviews you care about more.

Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all of your feedback.

Go to your interviews, kick butt, and worry about the financial aspect later. We all knew this was going to be an expensive process when we started.

DMU is an awesome school, and I would take your interview for you if you wanted to pass it up ;)

`
Go to your interviews, kick butt, and worry about the financial aspect later. We all knew this was going to be an expensive process when we started.

DMU is an awesome school, and I would take your interview for you if you wanted to pass it up ;)

My only interview dilemma is not having one :/

Reactions: 2 users
Accept interviews now. If you get "better interview" invites later, you can cancel and save the cash, but until you're sitting on an acceptance you're not in a position to be picky. Beggars can't be choosers and all that.

Y'all have no idea how grateful I am for the advice. I've scheduled the interviews :)

Reactions: 8 users