Interview Invitations for under the 3.0 Club

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

robliski

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
You guys have there been any invitations for the students with less than a 3.0 GPA yet? Is no news good news or is it hopeless?

Members don't see this ad.

By my mathematical calculation, I have deduced that a person with under a 3.0 has a 12.36574532% chance of acceptance this year. Doesn't look good :confused:

well.... I got several interviews and 1 acceptance.

Members don't see this ad :)
i have gotten 3 interviews. waitlisted on one, being held for review in JAN in other, and interviewing in the last one on JAN.

Originally posted by perfect6969
By my mathematical calculation, I have deduced that a person with under a 3.0 has a 12.36574532% chance of acceptance this year. Doesn't look good :confused:

Thanks for the encouragement:rolleyes:

I take it you like others giving you the same kind of "encouragement".:rolleyes:

I didn't know we got 2 perfects?

Are you guys the same person?

With the application of rights schools and the right DAT scores, I say under 3.0-ers have a decent chance.

well I got four interviews......NYU, Temple, BU and Case.......but with all this NYU = Harvard talk.......Im losing hope like my good friend Perfect.......

i interviewed at Case, Temple, UNLV, and Nova
got accepted so far to Temple and Case, getting pissed off at UNLV and Nova, I want nova most of all, but you take what ya can get in this game i guess. man, florida would be sweet

I had a 2.9 GPA.

hope this helps, those under 3.0 might consider doing some more serious work in dentistry, assisting, volunteering etc.

Tom

thomas,

do youmind telling us wha your DAT scores are like?

Applicants with under 3.0 cumulative GPA ALWAYS have chances getting accepted at dental schools!!

You must have a graduate GPA or a Post-bac GPA greater than 3.20 and a DAT score of 19 overall or higher!

I had a 2.4 AADSAS GPA and I had over 10 Ds and 6 Fs in my undergraduate transcript! Some people would refer me as, "a clown who dances in front of admissions committee so they would accept me!"

Which I did! :laugh:

I striped and I grind on all the admissions directors/coordinators!

yea, the DAT's is what got me noticed enough to read my file and experience. basically i knew going in i was in a bad spot, so i did well on the DAT, and pulled madd experience in a dental clinic for the homeless, including procuring prosthetics labs to donate work, basically, there are a lotta people walking around Salt lake city with crowns, bridges and dentures because of one lowly pre-dent who may indeed have a heart after all, and i think the committee's recognized that i am one dedicated SOB. most of the kids ive met "shadow" some guy doing occ fillings all day. then see the check stubs, and apply to school. my advice to those with less than 3.0...... show the schools you're more dedicated to this profession than any geek rat bastard with a 4.0 and too much free time on his hands.. i mean, i showed them that i COULD have gotten a 4.0, just diddnt give a damn. secondarily, ive got waaayyy more personality, confidence, and charisma than anyone who spent their life in a book, and that shows up in red during the group interviews.

oh yea, i did get 23/20/24 DAT.

now lets hope NOVA feels the same way, i mean, temple and case are tight, but i diddnt see any palm trees when i went to philadelphia.

Tom

cool, just got word on UNLV, so

Interviewed Temple, Case, UNLV, Nova
Invited to Tufts interview, but i wont even try, they scheduled me dec 11, after i got accepted to temple, so why in the world would i interview with them?

So now I'm accepted to Temple, Case, UNLV
god willing, i can come back to this thread in a week and add Nova, then i will be 4 for 4. I'm telling you fellas though, this dental school thing aint no BS, its your life, and you gotta show some dedication to it. do that and you will be rolling deep in acceptances.

Tom

thomasratkin,

That is really great to hear that you have been so successful. Your success shows that admissions are not just numbers or computers could process the applicants.

I am excited my self. I have not had much success as other fellow club members yet; I applied in mid September. But today finally, I received my first interview invite to Detroit Mercy. This is cool. My overall GPA is 2.7, and the average enrollment GPA for this school is 3.54. I am hypothesizing now; since they are willing to invite me with there high expectation on GPA, other school with lower expectation, who I have not hear from, will give me invites as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Not to be rude but :wow:

I wouldn't have been able to tell that by just looking at overall GPA or Science GPA.

Since you brought up graduate or post-bac GPA.
What is meant by post-bac GPA? How do admission people keep that separate especially if you are not officially enrolled in a post-bacc but taken courses on your own?

Also when admissions people tell you they stress the most recent academic record what does that really mean? Do they calculate a gpa based on their cutoff say if they wanted to calculate the last 64hrs do they look at that as well as the overall 128hrs(I'm talking about 4 yrs of undergrad)? I'm confused because on one hand they look at GPA cutoffs (to cutdown on applicants they look at seriously) but at the same time they say they look at trends in grades.

Originally posted by Yah-E
Applicants with under 3.0 cumulative GPA ALWAYS have chances getting accepted at dental schools!!

You must have a graduate GPA or a Post-bac GPA greater than 3.20 and a DAT score of 19 overall or higher!

I had a 2.4 AADSAS GPA and I had over 10 Ds and 6 Fs in my undergraduate transcript! Some people would refer me as, "a clown who dances in front of admissions committee so they would accept me!"

Which I did! :laugh:

I striped and I grind on all the admissions directors/coordinators!

thaxil,

whats your DAT like?
i keep getting a letter from UDM to write them whether i will be retaking my DAT. i haven't responded, because it scares me. i got a 15 on RC and their letter has it highlighted and says that they strongly recommend me retaking the DAT. now if i reply that i won't be retaking the DAT, they will reject me most likely, but i really don't wanna retake it for just one school.

Perfect,
If you retake it and improve, you can fax those new scores to all the school which have not rejected you yet. Quite frankly, I dont know what you are waiting for...

see, if i retake the DAT, i can't just spend a week on preparing and then taking the test.

i feel like it'll be way tooo late to retake the DAT. i will need at least 2 months to recall and learn everything all over again. by then, it will be time to reapply for the next year.

Perfect, I am PMing you

this is silly...once you get an interview...you grades doesn't really matter anymore... they'll only interview you if they're considering you....

i've known people w/ under 3.0 to get into awsome schools... (penn & ucla) grades aren't that important...

back to studying...

Originally posted by StarGirl
this is silly...once you get an interview...you grades doesn't really matter anymore... they'll only interview you if they're considering you....

i've known people w/ under 3.0 to get into awsome schools... (penn & ucla) grades aren't that important...

back to studying...

But stargirl for everyone of them how many people with under 3.0 fail to pull that off???

whats your DAT like?

whats your DAT like?
i keep getting a letter from UDM to write them whether i will be retaking my DAT. i haven't responded, because it scares me. i got a 15 on RC and their letter has it highlighted and says that they strongly recommend me retaking the DAT. now if i reply that i won't be retaking the DAT, they will reject me most likely, but i really don't wanna retake it for just one school.

That is surprising that they are telling you to retake the DAT. I scored a 14 on the QR portion, but they never mention that. They only asked to see this falls grade, and then five days after, I receive an invite. My DAT scores are AA/Sci/PAT 21/24/19. It did not look like they valued DAT so much based on their average stats for the DAT like 18.

I should retake the DAT to improve that one score. It is kinda silly that I score so low on QR. I really lost track of time at the end. Perfect, you have all winter break to study; that is at least a month. Reviewing reviewed material is easier then reviewing. I am thinking to retake the DAT in mid spring if a school has a conditional acceptance; but other here have told me any school that is stressing me on QR is being a harda$$.

Hopefully, I will have as much success as you. Currently many school have my application in slow review. They mostly say I should get word of my chances for interview late Dec. for mid Jan interviews. I was stressing for awhile thinking schools forgot about me.

Hey Thaxil.....which schools said that you should hear late Dec. for January/Feb interviews?? Thanks!

Originally posted by Yah-E

Not true I personally know 2 people accepted with <3.0 gpas without any graduate/post bacc work at all. One had a 2.9 with 3 acceptences and the other a 2.7 gpa with 2 acceptences. They both applied in their senior year of college. They both did pretty well on the DAT but I don't know what their scores were. And in case if anybody is wondering they were not minority/disadvantaged or had special connections.

the net message i wanted to get across is that if you're under 3.0 you are at a disadvantage, so you gotta make it up in other areas, think of getting admitted like a cross referenced score, GPA, DAT, experience, and interview, they add it all up and won't take ANYONE who doesnt make the cut. When i was at nova in sunny florida, they told me about some girl who had a 3.8 and a 19 DAT and they did not admit her because her file looked great, but she was a dumb bitch, and had no personality. Vegas had a scientific point system, they multiplied your GPA by like 75, DAT AA by 30 added it up, then added up to some 600 points possible for the interview.. (those are not exact figures) then you had to have like 1200 or they diddnt F$$% with you anymore.

look, ive been on a lotta interviews, and one thing had held true: the higher the GPA, the dumber and more obtuse and weak the kid who had it. theres always some crossover, but thats the trend.... how often do you meet a kid wit a 4.0 who isn't a little bitch? yea it happens, but mostly theyre dorks. if you got an interview somewhere, they like you on paper, if youre under 3.0, you've got something to prove... that you will try a hell of a lot harder in d-school than you did in undergrad, and that you're a hell of a person to boot. give em' that message, and i think you're solid. if you're not getting interviews, really you should apply in june and no later, then you've got to go get some experience, do some stuff, real stuff, not dork stuff like telling how you did eccletic research on something not related to dentsitry, some humble, badass work. build a car, go spend some time in your community health services, dental, or even food drives, show em' youve got more heart than any dumb SOB who studies so much he forgets how to talk to other people. my biggest gripe in the whole dental school thing is being at inerviews full of people who I cant deal with because theyre so obtuse and blind to the world they live in, and thinking to myself--

-- how the F$%! am i going to go to school with these kids and not knock em out?----

sorry for the rant, i dont post on this site much, but the fellas under 3.0 i relate to a little more i guess...... and i just wanted to put it in your head how i see it all, and how i figured my map on getting into school, you guys are the MotherF$%^%*'s out working a job during school, out drinking on the weekend, the ones who can play instruments other than the piano and a harp, the ones with some perspective, the applicants who can dance, been in a fight, those who've actually had sex with someone of the OPPOSITE sex. some of it on the same night you met her :D

i will shut up now

Tom

Yea I know how u feel. There's so few people I can relate to in undergrad right now in my microbiology and chemistry classes. I have no idea what these people do for fun but i bet it aint much. Anyway there are a few people who can balance it all, not perfectly but well. I hope to meet some more next year in D-school

thomas,

you are so funny dude. for some reason, i wish i could have seen your up and down emotions when you were writing that last post. seriously, you are right about a lot of things, but lets not destroy someone who worked hard to be a nerd. i completely agree with you on many under achievers trying even harder if they get accepted to d-school. however, its really not the anyone's fault if someone has a 4.0 and 30/30/30 DAT.

well, i hope you guys don't think i am turning against my fellow under 3 members.
i too get very upset over the fact that many dental schools just hunt for the high gpa and DAT scores. i had to work very hard to get my gpa to be near 3.0, and its sad that many schools rejected me simply because i didn't have a gpa over 3.4 or 3.5.
i made a mistake of being dumb and naive and screwed up un my freshmen yrs at college. now i know its not fair to not give me a chance because i screwed up in the early years, but its still the human nature that dental schools simply want the most qualified kids in their schools.

hopefully, we could all be dental students next yr and prove that numbers aren't always what get you to the top.

You are so right. Every professional school is like that. I am in law school and my sister is in med school and I can assure these people are everywhere. They spent so much time trying to finish the encyclopedia britanica that they forgot to learn how to act around people. Give me a 3.0 that I can work with any day over the 4.0 with no social skills. But I will say not all 4.0's are like that. The ones that are super intelligent and have good people skills are the s**t. I am a classic underachiever like yourself but when we underachievers decide to get s**t done we care more than capable.

Originally posted by thomasratkin
sorry for the rant, i dont post on this site much, but the fellas under 3.0 i relate to a little more i guess...... and i just wanted to put it in your head how i see it all, and how i figured my map on getting into school, you guys are the MotherF$%^%*'s out working a job during school, out drinking on the weekend, the ones who can play instruments other than the piano and a harp, the ones with some perspective, the applicants who can dance, been in a fight, those who've actually had sex with someone of the OPPOSITE sex. some of it on the same night you met her :D

i will shut up now

Tom

Not to cut in on your rant but I am not really sure how drinking on weekends, dancing, having a one nightstand and having been in a fight will make you a better Dentist.

Let's see I am a patient I am going to a dentist. Would I rather go to a Dentist that got drunk the night before after having a fight in a bar and had a woman for a one night stand or one that stayed home with his family and read a book?

now I dont come here to argue, i know nothing of drama. i come here to help and to get help, gain knowledge, you know---

I diddn't say those things make ya a better dentist,

diddn't even say i like a buncha irresponsible drunks, brawlers and sluts

But the people I like most in this world, the people I surround myself with......... they all have one thing in common

they have a pulse...........

Yeah, I am so happy. I just got another interview invite to Boston U. I found out through Info-source today. I was about ready to give up on info-source. Hey, for all of you who have had interview, what is the biggest money saving tip you can provide to me before I go out there. Thanks for the advice.

How are the slackers doing with interviews recently? I just did mine interview with D-Mercy and it when really well. I am hoping to hear from them next week when the adcom meet once again. I also receive an invite to Indiana.

TOm! we're brothers homie!!...hahahah..mmmmmmmmKaY~?

Loma Linda Invitation for interview recieved today. This one is going to be rough.

thomasratkin,

word up bro. classic takes and oh so true....in regards to the prospect of gaining admission to a dental school I'm sure I had many of the same concerns as many of you do.

Can I tell you the moment those concerns stopped? After my first interview in September.

That was the first time I got a look at the competition, and needless to say it was good for morale. I was surrounded by dudes (and chicks) that could barely maintain a conversation - the minute I saw these "stellar" applicants I knew I was in, and this experience was repeated at every school. And sure enough, every school I interviewed accepted me.

Now dont take this as me saying how great I am, that's not what I'm saying at all. I'm just saying that in my own experience (as limited as that may be), there were a lot of socially backwards people applying to school.

It should also be mentioned that the interview setting is not the most natural thing, and nerves play a role in how people act, and so on....Nor am I suggesting that all people with high GPA's are socially backwards....

Basically, if you're an under 3.0 applicant dont trip, just go back to thomasratkins take and strongly consider the counsel therein.

UCSF interview (DTD) through email.

btw, dinonuggets, iknow exactly what you mean about meeting people that could barely talk. intereting but man also get accpeted simply because the schools may still be hungry for those high #s.

wow thats awesome perfect, Your too hard on yourself. In many of the replies of yours ive read, you doubt your existence as a qualified applicant. it was just a matter of time Hooray for you:clap:

That is awesome perfect! Are you a Cali resident?

yes, i am a CA resident.

just confirmed my interview for JAN 30.

is UCSF a hard school to get into? Because the tuition is VERY cheap

Perfect, kick some >3.0 a$$. You deserve to be admitted in UCSF.

Yeah the tuition is cheap, but the living expenses are up the a$$! Expect to pay 1500 a month or more for a roach infested $hithole. But, in all you would save a lot of money.

Wish you luck Ahmed....Ive always had the impression that Cali schools were impossible to get into, even if you are a Cali resident....so that means, you must have really impressed them somehow to land a UCSF interview! Make the Under 3.0 Club proud! :D

Alright Reza...good job! You should be happy about that, because in my opinion, a NYU interview is basically an acceptence! Looks like you'll be in dental school next year! Must feel good, eh! Congrats!

Thanks man, I appreciate that. The thin envelope made me sick, but luckily, I still have a chance there.

All I need is one acceptance. :D

Congrats discolphie! Damn you....I am still waiting for a Columbia interview...its probably one school I would still consider over Temple, cause of its global public health program that looks amazing....and plus, StarGirl is there! :love:

ok wish me luck. its interview tme for me again in 4 days. i hate this feeling.

i worry about interviews, then i go an they tell m i did really well, then i come home and nothing happens.