Interview Invites???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TreeOfLife

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey there PM&R friends. I have mostly been a lurker over the past year or so. I am a hopeful PM&R applicant wanting to get a feel of what programs have offered interviews thus far. I applied to tons of programs and fortunately have been getting invites quite consistently, 1-2 each day. I keep accepting them as I hold my breath for invites to my "top choice" programs, although I have yet to hear from the majority of them. I'm wondering what programs people have received invites from already. Any west coast invites yet? I am wondering if perhaps some programs are waiting for Dean's letters? Also, does anyone know what the protocol is as far as receiving rejections? Do all programs respond either way? Or might I not hear from some at all?

Next to the actual match process, this wait is quite grueling! Eeek!

Good luck to everyone.

Members don't see this ad.

Dear

I too have been getting interview after interview. I applied to a wide range of programs on the East Coast, and a few in MI, TX and West Coast. I have heard mostly from the programs I wouldn't consider or rank in the end. However, I have also heard from a few really good programs, for interviews. And finally, I have gotten letters of conformation of my application and application being reviewed letters. From what I understand from applicants from last year, the bigger name programs will wait till the dean's letter is uploaded, and they have a tendency to interview later in the process; Nov, Dec and even January. But this is what I have heard. Don't hold me to it.

Hope this sort of helps.

Which programs are giving out invites now?

Members don't see this ad :)
Loves_Chai said:
Which programs are giving out invites now?

I have gotten invites from:

IU, UofM, OSU, UVa, VCU-MCV, Wisc, U of Cincinnati, RIM, UNC, Temple, Kessler, Marionjoy, Beaumont, Sinai.

I have gotten U of M, Temple, Nassau, Baylor-Dallas, Emory, Albany, Hopkins, Wayne State.

When did you hear from Kessler and Sinia? I applied to those but haven't heard yet.

Thanks.

i friend of mine spoke to someone at kessler (i think a few days ago) and was told that they had not started reviewing applications.... i think they wait until the transcripts are uploaded from your school to eras.

have all of your schools uploaded? mine has not :(

So far:

U of M, UVa, VCU-MCV, Emory, CIR (Charlotte), OSU, Wisc, MCOW

I heard from Kessler and Sinai about one week ago.

normalforce said:
I heard from Kessler and Sinai about one week ago.

actually 10/6/04 to be precise :)

:luck: good luck, I am sure you all will get in where you want.

i'm curious...
does eras have your transcript?
i am annoyed that my school has not uploaded yet and i heard that some programs just wait until transcripts and dean's letters are uploaded.

My transcript has been up since 10/5...my school was alittle late with this. But all my other supporting documents were downloaded in mid/late September.

Have not heard from any programs yet...except for 1 prelim and 1 rehab residency program just to acknowledge the receipt of my documents.

chauffeur said:
i'm curious...
does eras have your transcript?
i am annoyed that my school has not uploaded yet and i heard that some programs just wait until transcripts and dean's letters are uploaded.

everything except the dean's letter has been uploaded for over a month.

Received an invite for NYU today...yeah, my first interview offer!

Members don't see this ad :)
UAB, Mayo today

So far: LSU, Kessler, Temple, UPenn

got email from UVA-they have already capped interviews-too bad

gonna be very competitive this year!

.......add Loyola, Mayo, Louisville, Case Western

UW is usually very selective, so that is a coup - congrats

don't give up on a school that has capped spots - you will see that a lot of applicants either run out of stamina, energy, or cash as the season goes along, and as a result, cancel interviews along the way

You might want to contact Jay Patel @ UVA (he is a mentor on the AAPM&R site) to see how he suggests proceeding

Hi everyone. Wondering if anyone knows whether or not most programs will reply with a reject or invite? I applied to quite a few programs and have heard from some but I'm still waiting for the bulk of them to respond. Might there be some programs that say if you don't hear from us by such and such date, assume it's a rejection?

Congrats to those of you who have been getting interviews.

Keep up hope and best of luck for those of you who are still waiting.

Just to contribute, I've heard from
Baylor, LSU, Marianjoy, Loyola, Rush, Utah...

Many programs will e-mail with a reject, some won't bother.

If you get any rejections, some may not come in 'til Dec/Jan.

Anyone have any idea what a good number of programs to rank is? Someone told me that the average person matching ranked 7.5 programs...not sure if that was for PMNR,though.

Progs I've heard from:
NYU,UW,JFK,LOYOLA,EMORY,LSU,Rush,Albert Einstein,LIJ,Temple,Sinai baltimore,Penn............I applied to way too many progs and now I have no idea how many I should interview at.

BTW..... UCI and UCLA haven't started reviewing apps yet as of last week for whomever asked.
regards,
Benway

I would rank maybe ten or so. Depends how sure you feel about matching where you want to go after your interviews.

There's no harm in having a safety net in case something should go wrong though.

If you're getting interview invites from big name places is it safe to assume you will most likely match at one of them? I'm not a superstar student and I'm at a mediocre US school and getting interviews at places like mayo, UW, baylor is nice but I'm not sure how serious they are about ranking me.

Like applicants, some programs cast their nets wide. I would see how the interviews "feel". I think a suprising number of applicants last year did NOT get their first choice. It would be prudent to rank more than you would think necessary. Some of the programs that comes to mind about interviewing A LOT of applicants are: NYU, UPenn (I think my day had about 18 interviewees), and Boston University (got an interview as soon as I submitted my application).

Obviously, it's a good sign that you are getting interviews from the top notch programs - BUT - that means that you will be competing with some of the top applicants too...

BTW, it's PM& R, NOT PMN R - make sure you correct that before you go on interviews...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL! :luck:

axm397 said:
Like applicants, some programs cast their nets wide. I would see how the interviews "feel". I think a suprising number of applicants last year did NOT get their first choice. It would be prudent to rank more than you would think necessary. Some of the programs that comes to mind about interviewing A LOT of applicants are: NYU, UPenn (I think my day had about 18 interviewees), and Boston University (got an interview as soon as I submitted my application).

Obviously, it's a good sign that you are getting interviews from the top notch programs - BUT - that means that you will be competing with some of the top applicants too...

BTW, it's PM& R, NOT PMN R - make sure you correct that before you go on interviews...

GOOD LUCK TO YOU ALL! :luck:

Duely noted Dr. Punctuation....... :)
I'll make sure I emphasize I would like a residency in Physical Medicine AmpersAND Rehabilitation not the more crass and disreputable Physical Medicine 'N Rehabilitation................(cough). Thanks for the ranking advice :thumbup: . How often do people match into, like, their 10th or 12th choice? Also, does anyone know if there is any good sushi in Baltimore? What about Atlanta?
Benway.

docbenway said:
Duely noted Dr. Punctuation....... :)

Yeah yeah, I know.... It's just lots of ppl seriously call it PMNR...

Dunno about Sushi in baltimore - I would think fresh seafood - should be good sushi just about anywhere, no?

In terms of ranking - most of the ppl I knew got at least one of their top 5 choices. BUT - if you're ranking many of the more competitive programs, I would rank a few more. Same if you're ranking a lot of smaller programs - less spots, more competitive.

I think as you go through the interviews, you'll be able to get "feel" for who liked you and who didn't. You will also know which programs you could see yourself at and which you absolutely could not...

Many PDs will give you some indication of whether they are interested or not. A few will not. (RIC for one gave me NO clue whatsoever.)

Enjoy, have fun, sight see a little - I got to go to the Spam factory when I went for my Mayo interview. :laugh:

They had a recipe for spam sushi, docbenway!!

Oh and Gauss, don't sell yourself short - most PDs don't make up their minds until after the interview - If you got the interview, that means they like you enough to consider you as a viable candidate. Otherwise, why would they waste their time and money?? Don't worry about your numbers - it's your personality that's going to count now (hope that's a good thing! just kidding) :D

i'm not sure if i have a skewed perspective on things.
if someone gets interview offers at, let's say RIC, UW, OSU, Baylor, and Kessler, will he/she not match atleast one of these (given that the interviews go well)?
do programs offer that many interviews to candidates and is that why people may not match to the first five ranked programs, because of the volume?

chauffeur said:
i'm not sure if i have a skewed perspective on things.
if someone gets interview offers at, let's say RIC, UW, OSU, Baylor, and Kessler, will he/she not match atleast one of these (given that the interviews go well)?

Most likely yes, but you do have to remember that not everyone will rank programs the same or even similarly to you. In a worst case scenario, you could miss matching several programs by 1-2 spots on the rank list. You probably already know this but the match is more to the advantage of the applicant. I would rank a good number of programs, but don't rank any programs that are unacceptable to you. One certainty is that alot of applicants will rank RIC #1. After that people will have their personal preferences and IMO it's pretty wide open.

Does anyone know if the numbers on the FREIDA website are correct concerning the number of applicants that each program interviews. In general, it seems that programs interview 40-60 people. Does this seem right to those who are residents or who know about the process. Thank you very much.

NF

That's probably about right - but the more important thing is the ratio of interviewees to available spots. I think most of the top academic programs are fairly large - about 10+ residents each - so I suppose there's a good chance you will match at one of those. So in response to Chauffer, technically, you should be able to match in one of those top programs. However, as the number of competitive candidates increase with many of them with their sights set on the top 5-10 programs, it is definitely possible not to match within your top few choices. (I definitely kept meeting the same ppl over and over at the top programs - and many of them matched very well - so it's definitely a good sign to be getting so many great interviews. I think SDNers tend to do well - this is a relatively skewed sample)

I know at JFK they had 4 spots open and they filled within their first 7-8 choices. Many top programs will not have to go down the list too far.

I think it's always better to play it safe than sorry. I ranked most of the programs I interviewed at where I could see myself reasonably happy... Don't rank ANY program you hate. You may regret it later.

axm397 said:
That's probably about right - but the more important thing is the ratio of interviewees to available spots. I think most of the top academic programs are fairly large - about 10+ residents each - so I suppose there's a good chance you will match at one of those. So in response to Chauffer, technically, you should be able to match in one of those top programs. However, as the number of competitive candidates increase with many of them with their sights set on the top 5-10 programs, it is definitely possible not to match within your top few choices. (I definitely kept meeting the same ppl over and over at the top programs - and many of them matched very well - so it's definitely a good sign to be getting so many great interviews. I think SDNers tend to do well - this is a relatively skewed sample)

I know at JFK they had 4 spots open and they filled within their first 7-8 choices. Many top programs will not have to go down the list too far.

I think it's always better to play it safe than sorry. I ranked most of the programs I interviewed at where I could see myself reasonably happy... Don't rank ANY program you hate. You may regret it later.

Hey axm, when were you complete at Boston U? I've been waiting since the end of August, but haven't heard anything... seems like a lot of other SDNers are in the same boat, too.

axm397 said:

Hey axm, when were you complete at Boston U? I've been waiting since the end of August, but haven't heard anything... seems like a lot of other SDNers are in the same boat, too.

All is quiet on the western front? Anyone hear from West Coast programs yet? How long after the Dean's letter goes out do programs begin to respond? I heard from a bulk of programs and was hoping to get a few more invites after Dean's letter went out. I haven't had any e-mails in a few days now.

I should just be thankful for the interviews I have so far, right?

: )

Heard from Colorado via phone on 11/1

Like many of you- I have been reading this message board for over a year but now that i'm a 4th year, now I can participate! :) Interviews rec'd thus far: baylor, UVA, UNC, Spaulding, UW, Mayo, NYU, Mt. Sinai, Colorado, Kessler, Southwestern, Pitt, Mich, schwab. I'm thrilled to get this many and frankly surprised. Unfortunately, I am not going to be able to go everywhere and am thinking of canceling NYU, MT Sinai, Pitt and Schwab. Are there any of you out there that think I'm insane for doing this? I have been trying my best to acquire info about programs in order to eliminate options but I am finding that it's virtually impossible to find legit info other than message boards, etc. IT's tough, are there any sources that you guys are using that might help me rule out some programs? My school doesn't have a PM&R program so advice is limited....

Also, have not heard yet from RIC or San Antonio. Very interested in both and would love to hear if any of you have gotten invites.

Did anyone else see the post on scutwork under fellowships in last 30 posts? I was quite surprised to read this, and was wondering if anyone had comments.

as far as baylor - I'm not surprised. I know fellows and attendings from there and it all sounds familiar. I'm not quite sure if they are discussing baylor houston or dallas program.

For west coast, only Stanford and UW seattle so far. So Colorado is only by phone? Better check my messages....

Nothing from RIC or San Antonio either

macman said:
So far: LSU, Kessler, Temple, UPenn

got email from UVA-they have already capped interviews-too bad

gonna be very competitive this year!

add Mayo, UW, Sinai, Tufts....waiting on Spaulding, RIC, MCV (capped?), BU, Hopkins (capped?)

I did not send my ERAS until 10/12 and think I missed interviews at programs I was otherwise qualified for :(

I read the review - seems that it is referring to baylor houston since TIRR is in Houston. I did here it was inpatient heavy but I thought the faculty members were excellent. The once a week didactic thing is actually quite common in PM&R residencies.

I think many of the "big name" academic programs are not as cush as some of the smaller programs.

I actually liked the program when I interviewed there. Loved Dr. Francisco the co-PD. I thought they had a home call system where you take a week of home call at a time - once every two months???? I did not hear about the q5 system. I wonder if that is all year or only certain rotations? It's a huge program - q5 seems a but harsh.

macman said:
add Mayo, UW, Sinai, Tufts....waiting on Spaulding, RIC, MCV (capped?), BU, Hopkins (capped?)

I did not send my ERAS until 10/12 and think I missed interviews at programs I was otherwise qualified for :(

I know the feeling. I am in the same situation. I actually applied later than you so don't feel bad. I also got an email from UVa about the cap at 300 applicants. Are you wondering about MCV (capped ?) or do you know for sure? I will be very disappointed if I miss out on both UVa and MCV. Best of luck.

Take care

RIC today via email

Can anyone provide pros/cons/opinions on California schools (UCI, UCLA, Stanford, Davis), Utah and Denver?

BTW..... UCI and UCLA haven't started reviewing apps yet as of last week for whomever asked.
regards,
Benway[/QUOTE]

I've heard from most of the programs I applied to, however, there are some that I haven't gotten anything from. Around when do I just give up on hoping to hear from them? And just focus on the one I got so far.

thanks

Spaulding today. I hope they keep coming. Good luck to all.

Take care

wvsom05 said:
Spaulding today. I hope they keep coming. Good luck to all.

Take care

also heard from spaulding today!

I submitted my ERAS on 10/15...20 programs+1 military

Nassau University, Stony Brook, Einstein-LIJ, Sinai-Baltimore

turned down UPENN

best of luck this year to all!!
~j
WesternU-COMP

Heard from UCI 11/5/04. Anyone hear from other CA programs besides Stanford?

Anyone hear from UCLA, UC Davis or Loma Linda?

Thanks! G'luck y'all. :cool:

add RIC, UW-mad, UC davis. Mayo offering only two dates 11/29, 12/6 only? I have sub-I then and cannot go-did anyone get offered other dates than those?