2018-2019 PM&R Interview Experiences

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

claner1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Happy ERAS opening day tomorrow! Wanted to start this thread so we could all collab and discuss as the interview trail unfolds. Best of luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

Very exciting! I will post as I receive interview invites. When do invites typically start going out?

Members don't see this ad :)
Any feedback on Emory, OSU, Kessler, ECU, LSU? Just trying to narrow down how many programs I apply to. How many are you all applying to?

Can we anonymize this? Like submit to a Google doc.

I'm sure students and residents, alike, will give much more candid feedback.

I agree. I think making a spreadsheet like the ones from Reddit would be beneficial. I'll start one now based on one from a previous year. Will probably be too lazy to finish it tonight

Last edited:
I applied to 58 programs since Ive gotten mixed feedback about how many... Probably way way too many, but I wasn't sure how not taking the USMLE would affect me. Also no scramble positions last year.. so I didn't want to take any chances haha. Ive heard students lately in general are afraid of not matching so everyone is applying to way too many.

Somewhat related question. Is there any kind of spreadsheet with information on details about programs that aren't always freely available. Such as:
- average work hours
- call schedule
- stipends and other residency benefits?

I know some of this can be found in past interview experience threads but I was wondering if there is an organized compiled source.

good morning everyone. Good luck with the match season this year. It’s honestly a bit stressful, but I have overwhelmingly positive memories of my interview trail. It was really cool seeing a ton of cities and programs, getting wines and dined, and meeting a ton of people within the field and other applicants. This really is an experience of a lifetime, so make the most of it and try to take some time at each stop to take care of yourself.

I’m willing to put together a database to help PM&R applicants with the decision of how many programs to apply. The information I’d need from you:
1) whether you are an MD, DO, or IMG.
2) your USMLE and/or COMLEX 1 and 2 scores
3) do you have red flags: failed board scores, remediation at school, or match violations
4) the number of programs you applied (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
5) the number of interviews granted (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
6) the number of interviews you attended (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
7) the number of programs you ranked (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
8) the rank number that you ended up matching (PM&R and transitional programs if applicable).

I’m guessing that if you got lots of people willing to participate that within five years I may have statistically significant data. I have no plans to share private information, and I don’t want to know your name or the programs names. I have no desire to publish the information, but I do plan on aggregating the data to share with this board so that we can start helping people with decision making.

Email me at [email protected] if interested in partipating.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
good morning everyone. Good luck with the match season this year. It’s honestly a bit stressful, but I have overwhelmingly positive memories of my interview trail. It was really cool seeing a ton of cities and programs, getting wines and dined, and meeting a ton of people within the field and other applicants. This really is an experience of a lifetime, so make the most of it and try to take some time at each stop to take care of yourself.

I’m willing to put together a database to help PM&R applicants with the decision of how many programs to apply. The information I’d need from you:
1) whether you are an MD, DO, or IMG.
2) your USMLE and/or COMLEX 1 and 2 scores
3) do you have red flags: failed board scores, remediation at school, or match violations
4) the number of programs you applied (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
5) the number of interviews granted (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
6) the number of interviews you attended (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
7) the number of programs you ranked (PM&R and transitional programs, divided)
8) the rank number that you ended up matching (PM&R and transitional programs if applicable).

I’m guessing that if you got lots of people willing to participate that within five years I may have statistically significant data. I have no plans to share private information, and I don’t want to know your name or the programs names. I have no desire to publish the information, but I do plan on aggregating the data to share with this board so that we can start helping people with decision making.

Email me at [email protected] if interested in partipating.
Just interested if a D.O with comlex 451 and USMLE 211 should apply to any programs in 2020 match.

Just interested if a D.O with comlex 451 and USMLE 211 should apply to any programs in 2020 match.

Yep. I’ve seen people FAIL COMLEX and still be able to match. Try to improve on your STEP 2. I honestly don’t think that USMLE helps people match to PM&R, it could actually hurt your COMLEX by not being able to focus on one test. I’d strongly recommend auditions and applying more broadly. I’d also at least consider the DO PM&R programs if you don’t do as well as you hope on Step 2.

Last edited:
Somewhat related question. Is there any kind of spreadsheet with information on details about programs that aren't always freely available. Such as:
- average work hours
- call schedule
- stipends and other residency benefits?

I know some of this can be found in past interview experience threads but I was wondering if there is an organized compiled source.

FREIDA website on AMA. Worth the $20 membership. It gives ALL of that information :)

Reactions: 1 user
DO with comlex scores : 630+ on 1 and comlex 2 680+.. step 1 was 225-229. when submitting applications there is an option to check step scores.. would it make sense to not send those? I think they would see I took the exam, but not my score?

thanks @j4pac for your dedication and others who are willing to submit statistics/info to help future applicants.

Happy opening week! Good luck to all!:highfive:

Good Luck everyone. Look forward to seeing you on interviews.

Kind of wish someone would offer me an interview, reject me, something. I'm sure I shouldn't worry yet, but total silence through a whole week (from 45 programs) is a little unsettling.

Be patient. There are always a few programs that get them out within 48-72 hours of submission. Most programs haven't even opened applications or only preliminarily looked/screened things.

How long should we wait before contacting programs about interviews? I got 1 interview at my home program, 1 prelim interview at my home institution, 1 rejection today. MSPEs went out today. Still waiting on a LOR from a non-PM&R doc (research mentor). I was thinking of emailing programs either Friday or next Monday. Good luck everyone!

How long should we wait before contacting programs about interviews? I got 1 interview at my home program, 1 prelim interview at my home institution, 1 rejection today. MSPEs went out today. Still waiting on a LOR from a non-PM&R doc (research mentor). I was thinking of emailing programs either Friday or next Monday. Good luck everyone!

The most consistent answer I’ve received is mid to late October. :-/ hope that helps

bump
do any of you have any experiences/thoughts on Penn or NYU? I know theyre some of the more work heavy workload programs but wanted to see what your thoughts were in terms of how the programs are as of recent.