Interview Outfit for Girls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Definitely get a suit. Everyone else wears a suit. If your clothing makes you stand out you will probably feel awkward. Don't be trendy. Practice wearing your suit. Practice wearing your shoes.

Don't be distracting and make it easy for all the attention to be focused on your face and what you're saying.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

do we button up our jackets or does it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
decided to go w/a suit. >_<

NYandCo has awesome stuff right now. It's a little bit hard to find in store because they have this weird lay out with the jackets in different places, and the pants organized separately by cut instead of with the jackets they match with, and their website has absolutely nothing. But if you go and see in store and ask the sales people, they have great stuff that's actually really cheap.

I went to The Limited first and bought a pant suit for 230, and I was happy with the fit but kind of meh about the fabric. Went to NYandCo and found a suit that was awesome, both fit and fabric, for about 80 bucks. (I had to pay 60 to get the jacket altered because they only go to a size 2, which was a bit loose, but it was still worth it because total I still only paid 140 for a suit that I'm very happy with, and plus my tailor was kind of expensive.)

Also Macy's has a bunch of good stuff, unless you need small sizes, in which case you're better of trying elsewhere. When I went, they had a lot of good stuff in the 130-200 range.

do most girls wear pant suits or skirt suits?? I just bought a pants suit but my friend said that these days skirt suits are recommended for girls....

in my opinion, suit pants are more comfortable than skirts.. especially if you're gonna be walking around the campus. but it all depends.. whichever looks better on you.

I've been to some interviews already and noticed girls wear a huge range of clothing, from dresses to suits.

Coming from a guy's point of view, I say wear whatever is most comfortable. I just got back from a Western interview and all the girls were wearing dresses because it was 95 degrees in Pomona. Us guys, who MUST wear a suit, were sweating like none other. :(

how about a small purse? good? no? to carry your wallet

I use a professional looking black folio bag I purchased-- it has a strap to put on my shoulder so it isn't a briefcase but it is still professional looking. It works well to keep a folder with copies of your resume and any interview materials for that school.
Look at any department store or I'm sure you could find a pretty inexpensive bag from even Target that would be fine. It works and looks much better than carrying around a wallet or just a random purse.

I am kinda glad that I was not the only one worrying about those kinda stuff..... haha
it is hard to find suit that I like yet professional~~~ =_ = I went to store Theory and I found really nice one but it was too---------- expensive..

omg, me too!!!! i ordered a theory jacket on e-bay and it got lost in the mail!!!!!!! :(

i finally found something i can fit though... 00 pants @ banana. they're having a 40% off pants sale this week at certain stores.

Suits only look matronly and older if you are wearing the WRONG suit. Pick one that actually fits and is tailored to your body. That means spending a little more money and choosing a modern cut. I think wearing a dress to an interview would make me feel more uncomfortable than a suit. Choose a suit with a skirt instead of pants if it makes you feel better. Women look more powerful and smart (in a mostly male profession like dentistry) in a good suit - look at Sarah Palin...I'm not saying she's very smart or qualified, but she always looks really nice in the clothes she wears. :p

I got a pant suit just because I just wanted to buy one in which I could wear at most interviews. Especially since some of my interviews are in November and in the east coast, it's going to be cold. I don't want to end up wearing a skirt.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a 3 piece suit, cost about 300 bucks for a jacket, skirt and pants. It's well tailored and will last me a long time (as long as I don't get fat, hahaha). I'm alternating the suit/pants based on where the school is.

Does anybody know if girls HAVE to wear button down shirts?
I have have some fitted shirts at Express, but they make me feel so manly... I was wondering if I can wear a button down blouse instead?

Also, what color tops do you suggest?

i dont think so, im not wearing a button down. i also tried them on and i felt so manly haha, so i just got a nice blouse instead

I had about 5 interviews so far, all the girls had suits.

i dont think so, im not wearing a button down. i also tried them on and i felt so manly haha, so i just got a nice blouse instead

I think it's fine to wear a nice blouse under your suit. I wore a grey suit with a top that looked like a button-down (but wasn't) from NY&Co. I felt extremely overdressed for my interview, as the other women there wore 1) a dress (business casual), and 2) a cardigan with slacks.

I have a black suit, but I'm having trouble deciding between a royal blue and white blouse. I know the white is the safest color to go with, but I also wanted to show a little more personality. What do you girls/guys think?

I have a black suit, but I'm having trouble deciding between a royal blue and white blouse. I know the white is the safest color to go with, but I also wanted to show a little more personality. What do you girls/guys think?
Royal blue. Black with a white shirt and no color just looks too.. Blah. Imo. All of the girls I've seen interview with me (myself included) wore a color under their suit

Royal blue. Black with a white shirt and no color just looks too.. Blah. Imo. All of the girls I've seen interview with me (myself included) wore a color under their suit

Thank you!
All of the girls in my first interview wore white, and I was wearing a light purple.. I didn't know if that would make me stand out negatively. My next interview is at my top choice so I don't want to make mistakes. But in this case, I think the blue is also my best choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Is panty hose an absolute must for a skirt suit? If so, should I wear a nude/beige pair or can I do black nylons? I'm planning on wearing a black suit.

Is panty hose an absolute must for a skirt suit? If so, should I wear a nude/beige pair or can I do black nylons? I'm planning on wearing a black suit.
YES! ABSOLUTELY WEAR PANTY HOSE. i would wear nude/beige. I remember one girl that one of my interviews wore black nylons and she definitely stood out (im not sure if its in a good way or bad). But either way, your interview/who you are should stand out... not what you wear.

If you have cash to spare, I'd advocate for Wolford Individual 10 - perfect matte look and ridiculously comfortable ;)

Thank you!
All of the girls in my first interview wore white, and I was wearing a light purple.. I didn't know if that would make me stand out negatively. My next interview is at my top choice so I don't want to make mistakes. But in this case, I think the blue is also my best choice.

You don't really need to freak out about outfits that much. As long as you look professional, I highly doubt a bunch of middle-aged dental professors are really gonna judge your outfit.

I agree with the post above. I've been to a couple of interviews already, I wore a black suit jacket and pants with a white blouse (non button up); however, during my interviews I've seen girls in long black pencil skirts, colored shirts under their jackets, etc. Just make sure you look professional, and not provocative.

Reactions: 1 user