Interview question : if you could be one cell in the body ...

Oct 27, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
... which one would it be and why ?

My answer : fibroblast

What would be your answer to this question ?

Jun 6, 2013
The Woodland Realm
Status
Pharmacist
A progenitor cell. They lead to many different kinds of cells (immune cells, WBCs, RBCs), help the body fight infection (down the road of diversification that is), and can adapt to what the body needs them to be.

About the Ads

ciestar

All grown up!
7+ Year Member
Sep 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh my. I cannot even think of an answer to this question....

mcloaf

7+ Year Member
Jan 21, 2012
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I wish people wouldn't ask such pointless interview questions. What does it really accomplish?
Tests your tolerance for BSing in the context of an obvious power differential. Beyond that who knows.

Reactions: Narmerguy
Sep 5, 2013
Status
Pre-Medical
Easy. Serial killer T cells. You know, the ones that Dr. Carl H June's lab genetically modified using non-pathogenic HIV containing genes to allow T cells to recognize and kill tumor cells of chronic lymphocytic leukemia.

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
I wish people wouldn't ask such pointless interview questions. What does it really accomplish?
Some people like to ask these kinda stuff to gauge personalities and creativity. Also, to see who gets flustered and whatnot. Personally, I prefer conversational interviews but meh.

On topic: Leydig cells. ;)

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
Neuron...hey, just because I'm suddenly unicellular doesn't mean I want to measure my life in days/weeks instead of years!

Sep 26, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Oooh, I think I'd choose to be a neuron as well. Specifically, it would give me great pleasure to be a dopamine-loving neuron from the nucleus accumbens. :cool:

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
I'd be any cell in the Fallopian tubes/ovaries area that isn't routinely lost because I'm a fan of the Longhorns and the female digestive tract REPRODUCTIVE SYSTEM looks like the Longhorns' symbol.

I was working overnight when I posted that. Forgive me. >.<

Last edited:
Reactions: rain4venus
About the Ads

Starry

Wish on a different star
May 24, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Tongue cell. I like food. And talking. And other fun things that tongues do.

Edit: and one of my fav. arguments against "Nature didn't intend for so-and-so body part to do that!" is "Nature didn't intend for the tongue to lick stamps either." ;)

Because these schools select against applicants who aren't bio majors, which kills them as diversity is destroyed. This question is useless.

Jennyfishy

5+ Year Member
Mar 24, 2013
WI
Status
Medical Student
Mitochondria - the party don't start till I walk through the door B)

But I cheated and picked an organelle instead lol

Last edited:
Reactions: jeffs office

nOchemallday

5+ Year Member
Apr 15, 2013
Up
Status
Medical Student
I'd be an osteocyte. Yea...they're pretty solid. *intentional pun cuz that's my humor*
Plus I'm not going anywhere any time soon.

About the Ads

mehc012

Big Damn Hero
7+ Year Member
Jul 9, 2012
The Black
Status
Medical Student
Endosymbiant theory says it used to be its own cell. Prokaryote though, so I guess it still doesn't qualify.
Nah, the question was "cell in the human body"...didn't specify further. You could, for example, go with a gut bacterium if you so chose...actually, given that they outnumber our cells, it's not a bad option. First dibs on french fries for (a very short) life!

Reactions: sat0ri

Captain Sisko

U.S.S. Defiant
Sep 30, 2012
Status
Medical Student
Nah, the question was "cell in the human body"...didn't specify further. You could, for example, go with a gut bacterium if you so chose...actually, given that they outnumber our cells, it's not a bad option. First dibs on french fries for (a very short) life!
Very good point, I thought of that just after I posted last. My vote still goes to the cancer cell above. Divide and conquer!

3rdarmageddon

7+ Year Member
Jul 23, 2011
Water Everywhere...
Status
Pre-Medical
Gotta be a stem cell. That way you could serve different needs, depending on what the body wants. Also, then you don't have programmed senescence (at least pre-differentiation), and your main job is to reproduce;).

DoctorLacrosse

7+ Year Member
Jan 18, 2012
The Intrawebz
Status
Medical Student
like a couple others here I'd obviously have to be a sperm cell...

I'm just gonna keep on swimming towards my goal with the odds stacked against me hoping I someday get to reach and fertilize that egg.

keep on swimming people.

EDIT: I originally wrote this thinking it'd end up a funny post, but turns out my life actually greatly resembles that of a sperm cell. inspirational haha

Reactions: knv2u and TLAD123
About the Ads
Jul 24, 2013
Status
I'd be a B cell because I provide the body with its "humoral" response and I don't die that quickly like what happens with a neutrophil:heckyeah:

Anicetus

5+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2013
Status
Medical Student
The Egg Cell. Literally the sluttiest cell in the body.

Pacna

Dyslexics, untie!
7+ Year Member
Jun 2, 2013
MN
Status
Medical Student
The Egg Cell. Literally the sluttiest cell in the body.
How is the egg slutty? The vast majority of egg cells only couple with 1 partner. o_O

I suppose they are occasionally covered in splooj, but aren't we all from time to time?

Reactions: knv2u

Arayh

Resident
Jul 18, 2013
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Hepatocyte, selfless, multifunctional, king of metabolism.

sunflower18

Master of Naps
7+ Year Member
Oct 23, 2011
Status
Medical Student
Platelet! When things go haywire, I like to be involved in the process of patching things up and calming down the situation.

About the Ads