Interview Question "Tell me about yourself"

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

comet81

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I went to several interviews and all school asked me "Tell me about yourself".
This question is so general and I don't know what to say about this.
How am I supposed to say about myself at pharmacy school interview?
Can someone give me example?
Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

comet81 said:
Thank you

where you're originally from, where you live now, what your parents do, if you have siblings, what you do for fun, name a couple attributes, keep it under 45-60 seconds if possible, they want the sparknotes, not the novel

By far that's one question that makes me very uncomfortable. Specific questions will get specific answers and that's the way I like it. That question, if you let it will lead you to trapping yourself.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ethio_25 said:
By far that's one question that makes me very uncomfortable. Specific questions will get specific answers and that's the way I like it. That question, if you let it will lead you to trapping yourself.

Ethio_25,

I take it you are Ethiopian. ARe you starting Pharmacy school this year?

myliham said:
Ethio_25,

I take it you are Ethiopian. ARe you starting Pharmacy school this year?

Yeah, I am Ethiopian. How about you?

And what school are you attending or planing to attend?

In my case everything is still up in the air. I took a year off from school after my BS in Biological Sciences. I only applied to Howard University since I live in the DC area, and I would attend if I am accepted. But my chances are slim to none. I have a pcat score of 91%, an overall GPA of 2.9 and a science GPA of even worse. I could explaine why my GPA is discusting, but my explanation can possibly hurt my chances more. Anywayz, my interview is on May 17th. Wish me luck.

When they ask you that, tell them anything about yourself that you weren't able to put into your application. It's an opportunity to tell them something that makes me stand out and they will remember you from all the other applicants they've seen. For example: "I'm a musician. I've been playing ____.....ect"

comet81 said:
Thank you
Well, I think a lot of times they are really asking "How did you get to the point where I am sitting here interviewing you?" So, you can talk about what happened in your life to convince you that you wanted to become a pharmacist. I agree with the earlier poster - it's always nice if you can work something in that is a bit unusual. In one of my interviews I happened to mention that my sister is employed in drug formulation, which then led my interview in a very interesting direction while the prof asked who she worked for, etc. Not that I meant to talk about my sister the whole time, but I know that is something that stuck out in his mind about me vs. the other candidates that day. Also, keep in mind that they are evaulating you on your ability to communicate orally, and it helps if you can think of the interview as a conversation rather than just a series of questions.

I found all my interviews to be much easier than my fears. Very minimal "on the spot" questions. That one question won't make you or break you probably so don't let it freak you out. All good advice here though, short, sweet, relevant, and try to make it MEMORABLE if you can, like you were once shot out of a cannon or something, maybe even an appropriate joke to end off.

Either way, I find my class to be a usual microcosm of any handful of 60 people. Some introverted, some extroverted, some funny, some with sticks up their butt, all different kinds of styles are represented. There can't be just one way to do an interview, but don't try to be too different than you are in real life or it will come off insincere.

Also, if you're not nervous then you just don't care... they expect it.