Interview scheduling - 3 days in a row too much?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

billbillbillbill

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
You already know it's "too much". It's definitely doable. Up to you whether it's worth the risk and hope your flights and trains run smoothly.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 4 users
Chicago -> St. Louis

I hope you take into account the inevitable flight delay

Members don't see this ad :)
The stress, nervousness and energy, maybe too much for 3 days, but the added worry if any delays in travel could put you over the edge. Part of admissions for applicants is reducing risks and I would seriously consider reducing this one

If we are staying in the same city the whole time, but have three interviews in three days, do you think that would still be too much? Don't know if this is something anyone else can answer for me really, but would love any tips from anyone who has done this or something similar!

I only had a single pair of interviews that were back to back, and on the end of day two, I wanted to buy the next ticket to Honolulu and forget that I had ever applied to medical school. But traveling is an ordeal for me: as long as I end up in my own bed at the end of day makes even working a crazy number of hours manageable.

Spread your interviews out, even if you have to ask your coworkers for additional help. You'll be done with interviews soon (even though it doesn't seem like it now) and you can repay them as best you can (banana bread works well).

Reactions: 1 users
Give them a call and say something came up that you can't get out of, and you can't make the scheduled date of the interview. Much better than email, IMO, but I am a better speaker than writer (or, a poor writer).

In case you ignore everyone's advice again and go on the interview, don't come back asking how to best let the school know that you foolishly scheduled 3 in a row and whether schools give a second chance to interview again.

Funny. Just wrapped up a fresh loaf of banana bread I made for my lab section as a parting gift as I head out for my first week-long marathon of interviews tomorrow. I have 3 next week but one of them is near my family home (yay for the long weekend at home!) and the other two are in the same place, so it'll be tough but not too bad hopefully.

Right after I posted this thread I had a boost of confidence and signed up for the interview that inspired the thread in the first place. I regret this decision though, especially after I realized there isn't a way for me to finagle a flight that allows me to go to an evening event hosted by my final med school that week.

Does anyone have experience in re-scheduling interviews? In the interview confirmation email, the school provided contact info in case I need to change my interview date. How bad does this look? (It's a top 10 school, don't wanna mess around, but comparing the two evils - a reschedule request vs. poor performance due to exhaustion - makes me think it's worth a shot).

Thank you everyone for all your input, would love a little more!

Much love,
Bill bill Bill Bill (shout it and you might get the reference)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Interviews get rescheduled all the time. If you're >2 weeks out, they'll be able to get someone else to fill the spot and it won't look bad on you at all. My current school's interview policy is that you get one rescheduled date, essentially no questions asked, but that new date is final, so just make sure you can make that it. Other schools might be more flexible.

If you're staying with student hosts (as compared to in a hotel/Airbnb/older friends), don't underestimate how much sleeping on a couch/air mattress can mess with you if you're not used to it. I still did it for most interviews, but I definitely think it's a factor as to why I couldn't do interviews well multiple days in a row.

Reactions: 1 user
If we are staying in the same city the whole time, but have three interviews in three days, do you think that would still be too much? Don't know if this is something anyone else can answer for me really, but would love any tips from anyone who has done this or something similar!

It's different for everyone. That wouldn't bother me.

Reactions: 1 user