Interview thank-you letter--important?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

girl8

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just had 2 so-so interviews at Mt. Sinai. I am wondering if writing thank-you letters is necessary, and if so, do the letters go into my file? If I write a generic letter that basically says the same thing to both faculty that interviewed me, would that be a very bad thing (both asked me almost exactly the same questions)...

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad.

Sending a letter may not help you, but not sending a letter could potentially hurt you.

tongue.gif
Stinky

[This message has been edited by Stinky Tofu (edited March 31, 2001).]

My advice is send the letters. It can't hurt, might help. I wrote basic thank letters to my interviewers and printed it on professional looking stationary. If there was anything that stood out from the interview try to mention it.

Members don't see this ad :)
The letters you send should be sent c/o the admissions office. They will make photocopies for your file and forward the originals to your interviewers. Having different letters would be a good idea because of this -- and better than just sending them directly to the interviewers, because this way the whole adcom can see them. Will it hurt? Never. Is it a cheap way to potentially help? Absolutely.

I sent a thank-you via the admissions office to my interviewer at Columbia. My interviewer and I had discussed my research, and since my interviewer had given me some very thoughtful advice, I explained how I would use his advice to alter my project. From Dr. Franz, the dean of admissions, I received a thank you for my thank you and a vague statement that basically said, "That was a pleasant thank-you note. We enjoyed talking to you as well. Look for something positive from us in the mail in February." I got in.

Good luck, and go nuts with the thank-you's.