Interviewer said "Hopefully we get to see you next year" three times. Good sign?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wsdcfgf

Reaction score
My interviewer is on the admissions team. He said that to me at the end of the interview one time, by the end of the interview day when I said goodbye a second time, and when he responded to my thank you email a third time. He also replied to my thank you note very fast. I sent it at 8pm on a Friday night and he replied at 9pm.

Is that a good sign or is it just courtesy?

Edit: Not asking if I am gonna get accepted, but rather if I did OK on the interview. Because I really thought I bombed it.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Sounds like a habitual line if they keep repeating it at the end of every interaction. I personally would not look too deep into it.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
At one of my interviews, the interviewer hooked me up with two other physicians to talk to, one about research i was interested in and the other about global health related to stuff i had worked in. They both said the interviewer had rated me highly, one who was a dean of something or other said getting an interview when i did meant i was basically in. The school told me absolutely nothing for 7 months after the interview before rejecting me outright. Interviewers might be lying, and even if they're not they don't have all the power.

Edit: I don't say this to get you down, but just to set some realistic expectations, as I really had my hopes up after these interactions

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
At one of my interviews my interviewer closed with how excited they would be to have me as part of the class next year. I am currently on the Waitlist at that school.

Reactions: 1 user
Take it with a grain of salt. The interviewer doesn’t make the final decision. Adcom has to move forward on you as a whole and they may/may not feel the same about your application.

The operating word is "hopefully." Don't read too much into it.
But do you think the interviewer would say that if I did badly during the interview? I know it's by no means an indication of acceptance, but could it indicate that the interview was at least okay?

Members don't see this ad :)
But do you think the interviewer would say that if I did badly during the interview? I know it's by no means an indication of acceptance, but could it indicate that the interview was at least okay?
this has to be peak premed neuroticism (also people above already answered your question lol, you probably did fine).

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
it's my only interview. It is so hard no to be neurotic
I understand, but there's no purpose to thinking over what you could've done better or the exact words an interviewer used; the past is in the past. Interviews comprise only a single part of your whole app, and I'm sure you probably did better on the interview than you think you did. If you get accepted, it's possible that the interview didn't contribute much to why you got accepted. Likewise, if you get WL/Rejected, it's also possible the interview wasn't the reason why either.

• Love

We could be less subtle... (h/t given her announcement today)...

Sarcastic Nancy Pelosi GIF by MOODMAN
Tearing Nancy Pelosi GIF by GIPHY News

• Haha
check this out. It happens, but it's not the majority of the people who got into med school. Don't forget, a lot of those one hit wonders are ED applicants and BS/MD applicants.

I disagree with this take. The data you shared shows that 21% of matriculants last year only received 1 interview invite, which equates to roughly 4980 first year medical students. I was also surprised to see that only 50.8% of matriculants reported being accepted to more than one medical school.

Obviously this data only reflects about 2/3 of all matriculants, and I am also curious to know how many applicants receive at least 1 interview but 0 acceptances.

Regardless, if one school liked you well enough to interview, you're probably good enough to be admitted, and it is likely that other schools will see the same positive attributes that caused the first school to invite you to interview. Stay positive and try not to focus on things that have already happened. You got this OP!!

I disagree with this take. The data you shared shows that 21% of matriculants last year only received 1 interview invite, which equates to roughly 4980 first year medical students. I was also surprised to see that only 50.8% of matriculants reported being accepted to more than one medical school.

Obviously this data only reflects about 2/3 of all matriculants, and I am also curious to know how many applicants receive at least 1 interview but 0 acceptances.

Regardless, if one school liked you well enough to interview, you're probably good enough to be admitted, and it is likely that other schools will see the same positive attributes that caused the first school to invite you to interview. Stay positive and try not to focus on things that have already happened. You got this OP!!
The real data is how many didn’t get in with one interview. Not the other way around. Every year there are applicants with more than 5 interviews who didn’t get in anywhere. I also know so many people who got in with one A despite having 5 or 6 interviews. This process is incredibly competitive. those 5k people on that list are the exceptions to the rule. In most scenarios, at this point, the likelihood of becoming a med student is in your favor if one has over 3 interviews.

The real data is how many didn’t get in with one interview. Not the other way around. Every year there are applicants with more than 5 interviews who didn’t get in anywhere. I also know so many people who got in with one A despite having 5 or 6 interviews. This process is incredibly competitive. those 5k people on that list are the exceptions to the rule. In most scenarios, at this point, the likelihood of becoming a med student is in your favor if one has over 3 interviews.
I agree that knowning how many people didn't get in with one interview would be valuable data to have. I also would love to see the data your referencing that shows how many applicants with more than 5 interivews don't get in anywhere, but unfortunately it does not exist. There is a lot that is unknown, but at least I feel confident saying that the people who got exactly 1 interivew have a better chance of getting accepted than those who got 0 interviews.

Without this nonexistent data, I think it is unfair to jump to a conclusion and say that applicants who get accepted off of only 1 interview are the exception to the rule. Are their odds great? I'm can't say. But it feels wrong to confidently assert that their chances are slim without sufficient data to back it up.

I was told this in two of my interviews. One of them accepted me and the other waitlisted me.

I'll do one better, I was told this twice and got accepted for one and a fat post II rejection for the other

• Haha
sorry I don't understand what you mean:cryi:
are you saying the interview could just be lying
The interviewer could be just being polite. It is just a thing people say at the end of interviews. I specifically try not to say things like this to ANY candidate I interview because it leads to questions like yours, but I am just as kind and encouraging to applicants I thought had a stellar interview as I am to people who completely bombed it, as are most interviewers. What your interviewer says to you during an interview is a reflection of their personality, not the strength of your interview or application.

Reactions: 1 users
I really want to know how you managed to reach this conclusion from cj_creeg's reply...
In OP's defense, I phrased it badly lol, I can see how "....to people who completely bombed it, as are most interviewers" would be confusing.

To clarify, I meant most interviewers (i.e. the people asking the questions) are going to behave the same towards most interviewees (i.e. the people answering the questions) regardless of whether the interviewee was stellar or bombed. I do not think most interviewees bomb their interviews.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't believe a word they say until you're an attending

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users