Interviewing at DMU and have some free time!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tiffsatt

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have an interview at DMU on the 9th of Feb, but due to flight $$$$, I have to fly in on the 7th. Needless to say, I have some free time! Just wondering if anyone could give me some pointers of something to do? Oh yeah, and any interviewing tips!

Keep in my mind I don't have a vehicle.

Thanks all,
Tsatt

Members don't see this ad.

Where are you staying, Tiff? There's a lot of shopping in the West Des Moines area. You may need a car to get around Des Moines and call a cab.

Have a good time.

I am staying at a hotel downtown called the Hotel Savery. Sounds nice enough?

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed there, and was upset that I only could stay for a day! I had a great time there, and am looking forward to starting next fall!

They give you a sheet that has the numbers of people willing to let you stay with them. You should call them and get some information about the area. At your interview, they'll give you this tourist guide sheet that looks like something that they give you in a hotel bathroom (somewhere else you should look). It's pretty lame, with slogans such as "It's a great time in Des Moines," but it's really informative because it tells you of every restaurant, bar, and coffee shop in the area.

Coming from Detroit, I thought Des Moines was going to be all cornfields. The drive confirmed it, but once I got into the city, I was pleasantly surprised. I'm sure by the time I figure out the city and begin to grow tired of it, it'll be time for me to move on to rotations. When I was there, I checked out the places that I would go to, such as some local bars, microbreweries (rock bottom has INCREDIBLE sandwiches), and the local Barnes and Noble (2 floors - HUGE). I was told there was some great shopping there, too, but with the interviews, I was pretty broke.

Exploring will be fun. Enjoy the time alone. Good luck!

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

Tiffsatt and Kidterrific....

What undergrad did you go to? I am also from Michigan - and am currently attending DMU!

Tiffsatt - not sure what you are looking at doing while you are there...there are a few malls and movie theaters in town - let me know what you have in mind...

Best of luck on your interview - perhaps I will see you this friday!!!

Wayne State University. Where'd you go? I only know of one WSU guy there (the guy I stayed with when I interviewed).

------------------
--
KidT
[email protected]

alpha1phi,

I am at University of Detroit Mercy...smack in the hood! By the way, I just got back from my interview and although my interview went well, everything else was a disaster. The school was closed that day due to weather, the hotel caught on fire, my flight into chicago was delayed so I missed my connecting flight to Detroit and had to spend the night in the airport. Talk about your natural disasters.

It was freezing rain and snowing all day! I can't believe you missed it. The university closed and they told us that was only the second or third time they had to close in like the last 30 years. YIKES! It was pretty bad.

Hey Beth (alpha1phi) you suck! Get your ass busy and start studying you damned procrastinator.

Ryanpj - I am working!! haha

Sorry to hear that you had such a bad experience while in Des Moines. That day, the weather was pretty bad...and what's weird is that they don't do a very good job cleaning up the roads around there - not like good ol MI where they pour a gazillion pounds of salt all over the place!

Do you either of you have more questions?? Where else are you still considering?

Take care!
Beth

Beth,
Sorry it took so long to reply! Busy as ever. I also interviewed at LECOM and have an interview at AZCOM on the 20th of March. I have to say that I was extremely impressed with DMU.

Tiff