Interviews 2005 Match!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
LADoc00 said:
Holy cow. I just read this thread. I applied to a whole 4 places back in the day and went to 2 whole interviews where I was doing away rotations anyway. I didnt even do the match. It couldnt changed that much! What the heck. This is insane. Its like med school stuff all over again. Bleh. :eek:

Last 3-4 years have seen an increase in applicants by over 100%, in terms of US grads. That is what changed, methinks.

Members don't see this ad.

yaah said:
Last 3-4 years have seen an increase in applicants by over 100%, in terms of US grads. That is what changed, methinks.

Imagine what it'll be when us who are applying are done with residency. We'll be like, "OMG back then I had to interview at 10 places. Now 20% of applicants aren't matching!"

yaah said:

Ok, heres my advice straight from the heart. Do NOT:
1.) Ask Fred Silva (who i think used to be head of USCAP last year) if he has gynecomastia and if you can biopsy those fellahs :idea:
2.) Ask that hot brazilian girl who is a MGH resident if she is single, shes not. :(
3.) Ask if Chris Fletcher has a touch of histrionic PD :smuggrin:
4.) Ask if Pepper Dehner is on meds :rolleyes:
5.) Ask if Dorfman is dead yet ;)
6.) Go to UCLA and say you never met anyone who has heard of Jonathan Said :D
7.) Ask LeBoit at UCSF if he really makes 5 million dollahs a year :cool:
8.) Ask if Bernie Ackerman makes more money than your whole department, why should I not apply to dermatology? :laugh:

remember DONT do this, this is your BAD list. Bad, very bad.

Members don't see this ad :)
U of Colorado by email

I'm an agnostic, but PRAISE GOD!

for people that've gotten interviews @ univ of Washington in seattle...

do they offer hotel (or flight?) accomodations?? do they at least give you a discounted hotel rate???

thanks

Phoenix and Colorado today by E-mail

So far so good. . .
UT San Antonio
UT Knoxville
New Mexico
St Louis University
UVA
Oklahoma
University of Nebraska - Declined
University of Arizona
Phoenix
Colorado

Flat out Rejections
DUKE

Hopefully next week will be a break through week for interviews.

Last edited:
UTSW by phone yesterday; Colorado, St. Louis, Michigan today by email. :D

Am I alone in being completely unable to concentrate on anything other than interviews? Sheesh. Can't wait till March.

skoller said:
UTSW by phone yesterday; Colorado, St. Louis, Michigan today by email. :D

Am I alone in being completely unable to concentrate on anything other than interviews? Sheesh. Can't wait till March.

Same here. I also am crying about how much money this whole deal is gonna cost me. Had a dream a few nights ago that if we match, we get a $5000 signing bonus.

I'll join the club with a Colorado invite today. Also got UT-Knoxville.
This makes my list:

Minnesota (had a great interview here, really nice residents and faculty)
Drexel
UT-Memphis
UT-Knoxville
Colorado

Where the hell is UTSW????? I'm going to be hurt if I don't get any love from my hometown. Cheers to all.

cjw0918 said:
Where the hell is UTSW?????

I believe it's in Dallas.

:p :p :laugh: :laugh:

Andy some places do give you a kind of bonus - at Stanford and MGH you receive money to be used towards moving expenses/first month's rent. Of course, in both of those places you have to pay $1000 a month to live in a windowless bathroom.

I'll update my list too. No rejections. So far I've gotten interviews with:

Cleveland Clinic
Utah
New Mexico
Emory
MUSC
UCSD
UCSF
UCD
OHSU
UTSW (called me yesterday)

Haven't heard anything from UVA, UNC, Duke, U Florida - Gainesville, U Wash, U Arizona, UT Houston, or either Baylor. But I'd been thinking about trimming some of those anyways, so all is good so far. :thumbup:

cjw0918 said:
Where the hell is UTSW????? I'm going to be hurt if I don't get any love from my hometown. Cheers to all.

UTSW is in Dallas, TX, USA. :) Sorry with the cheap shot answer. As you can tell, they are still inviting folks so hopefully you'll hear from them soon. The love will hopefully come. The program director personally calls to invite for interviews before sending the official letter. It's a nice personal gesture, but takes a while. :love:

Members don't see this ad :)

Last edited:
U of Rochester today, by snail mail. I feel the love!

After many days of silence...Mayo speaks! Interview invite by email. OK Duke, it's your turn to start offering invitges now! C'mon baby...come to me!

Case Western (UH). Email.

*Finally* got my third (and last) rec letter in last week. Got invites from Oregon and Wash U. soon after, both via email.

My final list. (Unless I hear from UPenn or Thomas-Jeff, since I'm going to Phili anyway to take the CS exam :eek: )

OSU
UKentucky
UVa
VCU
UNC
Wake
ECU
MUSC
UAB
Vanderbilt
Emory

Places recently cancelled or declined (for anyone interested in these programs):

BIDMC
NYU
Cornell
UF-Gainesville
Cleveland Clinic

My list of programs is as follows (and I think it's final as of 5 minutes ago).

Interviews at:
UNC
UCLA
Michigan
WashU
Chicago (the day after my Step 2 CS :eek: )
Cornell
Hopkins
Penn
MGH
Brigham
Stanford
UCSF

Recently declined/cancelled:
Emory
Vanderbilt
Cleveland Clinic
BIDMC
Washington
UVA
Duke
Mayo

This whole planning of my calendar, flights, hotels is driving me nuts. I just wanna start the whole interview trail already! Can't wait 'til March when it's all over. Recently looked at the Match Day placements thread from last year...that's what we are all looking forward to :D .

Interview season is coming up (and has started for some). Best of luck to everyone! :thumbup:

The World Famous Cleveland Clinic Health System ;)

via Email

Last edited:
Logos' said:
I will follow the trend.

Final interview list (in order of invite):

U of Minnesota
Washington U
JHU
BWH
U of Penn
Yale
U of Utah
Stanford
U of Chicago
UVA
UCSF
U of Washington
U of Colorado
Mayo

Declined:

U of Michigan
UCSD
MGH
Duke

No to Michigan? That's blasphemy on this forum!

Last edited:
Logos' said:
Yes, much as I would like to visit Yaah and Andy, I thought it would be better to give someone more interested in the program a chance to interview.

No offense taken. Can't be going to too many interviews now...it gets expensive. Perhaps I'll get to meet ya on the interview trail.

Hey, you're applying to MMTP at UCSF right? They got 3 interview dates; which day are you going?

jeff2005 said:

Yaah will fart in your general direction. I've heard from other residents that he has a bit of a gas problem. :laugh: (just kidding).

reminds me of a fartslap stunt on Jackass...where's that link

jeff2005 said:

No, it is all ok. Although this program has pretty much everything, so you are not going to be missing out on things by coming here. And great staff to work with. However, if you are a fan of ample parking, Ann Arbor is definitely not the place for you. Although I do consider myself a large ample parking fan, and I manage, although I do occasionally curse people and their vehicles.

Everyone has their own choices and styles and opinions however. If this were not true than everyone would want to go to the same program, and this doesn't happen.

Parking here isn't horrible as long as you're not a student. It is relatively expensive and if you don't get to campus by 8:30 to 9:00 am, you'll be SOL when trying to find a spot.

As a student, parking totally sucks. I have to either come in at 7:30 am or come in during lunch hours if I'm gonna get mah-self a spot at the lot.

Plus, I heard parking sucks almost everywhere. It seems that wherever I go, somebody is complaining about the parking situation.

Anyone know if another wave of interviews will come after nov 1st?

I certainly hope so! :scared:

I took a look at last year's interview thread. Invitations did trickle in after Nov 1 - though I wouldn't call it a "wave". The thread petered out about mid-November, and at that point people were still asking, "anyone heard from ____ (program) yet??"

dude, where is the love from university of washington? do they only want md/phds? anyone heard from them lately? i finally got my third letter in--maybe they need a complete application? maybe they don't like my photo. that must be it. should have worn more makeup. hmph.

Dude! The photo is EVERYTHING! Didn't you know it has to be a nude.

vetiver said:
dude, where is the love from university of washington? do they only want md/phds? anyone heard from them lately? i finally got my third letter in--maybe they need a complete application? maybe they don't like my photo. that must be it. should have worn more makeup. hmph.

I haven't heard from them either, but i didn't expect to. They are very research oriented, or so I've heard.

Supposedly they can't look at the photo until after offering an interview, so you must have offended them with something else in your application. :p

jeff2005 said:
I haven't heard from them either, but i didn't expect to. They are very research oriented, or so I've heard.

what??? you haven't? i'm seriously shocked :wow: . Reading from your prev post jeff, you've totally bagged some hella big places. And no, i really don't think univ of wash is research oriented (or seeking research-oriented candidates) b/c they invited me, and i've got a) NO research and b) rejections from big places like Duke etc (known for research) that you and others have received invites from.

So all in all, i think it's a frank hoax that you didn't get invited. Fear not, their loss.

SLUsagar said:
what??? you haven't? i'm seriously shocked :wow: . Reading from your prev post jeff, you've totally bagged some hella big places. And no, i really don't think univ of wash is research oriented (or seeking research-oriented candidates) b/c they invited me, and i've got a) NO research and b) rejections from big places like Duke etc (known for research) that you and others have received invites from.

So all in all, i think it's a frank hoax that you didn't get invited. Fear not, their loss.

I think some places just can not interview everyone, so they pick and choose. Even if you are the best candidate, sometimes that damn butterfly in Japan flaps its bloody wings the wrong way....argh, if I every find that butterfly...anyhow, I hate the application process, too many variables outside of ones control. Even if you are a strong candidate, nothing is every assured.

I hope everyone's interviews and visits go well. best of luck!

Well, it will be november in 2 days!! I have already heard from half of my applications offering me an interview, the other half told me that I was a backup. Oh well, they said that they already interviewed half of their total (20-30) and if they felt that the candidates didn't strongly want to go to their program they would interview about 20-30 more of the backup team (that's me!). I guess if you haven't heard by now then you are a backup person too :scared: . This sucks... oh, by the way I was in an area to interview several programs and asked a program who had remain quiet about interviewing me if they wanted to interview me (guess I was a backup for their program too). They offered me an interview 2 days later. So, if you are really interested in interviewing a specific program you could call them and tell them you are in the area and would like to know if you would be offered an interview soon. Good luck to everyone (I'll certainly need it). :luck:

SLUsagar said:

Thanks for the support. I may have bagged some great interviews but I'm only in the middle third of my class. Different programs may consider grades more important than other factors (i.e. board scores, prior path experiences, etc) I'm not too concerned about it since the West coast is a bit too far and foreign for me. I got the interviews I really wanted (UNC being #1) so I'm happy.

Has anyone heard from NEMC, Brown, or the University of Maryland? I kind of expected interviews from them :confused:.

UT-Houston by email. They sent me the least personalized email of all, including info in case I'm an IMG (which I am not).

Jeff2005, I just interviewed at UNC this past Friday. We were each other's first (interview). I'll post about it under the "interview experiences" thread shortly.

my update: interviews at ucla, cedars-sinai, ucsf, stanford, mgh, brigham, bidmc, columbia, cornell, mount sinai, yale, northwestern.

likely will turn down brown (heard from them about three weeks ago) and nyu (they have a new path web page if anyone is interested).

haven't heard from u of wash, bu, univ. of chicago, nemc, baystate, oregon, usc. i'm thinking of emailing or calling u of w and u chi next week. guess i'm one of those people that is getting passed over by the less competitive places??

Here's my list of interviews so far:

ETSU ( home school)
New Mexico (did an away rotation)
Vandy
Univ of Kentucky
Univ of Florida
Univ of Louisville (KY)

Still waiting on:
UVa
Iowa
Wake Forest

I'm really confused. I think I've gotten some pretty good interviews also, but then there's places like Rush, Tufts and Hartford that I haven't heard anything from at all. I guess the word is that they mainly take their own or something like that. I'm thinking about not bothering with the Chicago schools, because there's just no time to go everywhere. Any thoughts on whether I would be missing out?

Here's my list so far:

Interviews from:
U. Arizona, UCSF, U. Colorado, MGH, Brigham, BIDMC, Duke, OHSU, U Penn, Brown (I think the mass interviews on January 21st or bust is ******ed), UVA, and VCU, and, as of this morning, Rush (I think wondering out loud on this forum seems to work pretty well).

Still waiting on:
Hartford, U Chicago, Boston U., Tufts (New England), UNC, Temple, TJU, and U Wash.

sandyworks said:
I'm really confused. I think I've gotten some pretty good interviews also, but then there's places like Rush, Tufts and Hartford that I haven't heard anything from at all.

I agree. Judging from where you have already gotten interviews, I can't see why you haven't landed interviews at those 3 places.

Maybe those programs are having problems or they just don't send out interviews until later. From other posts on this thread, I'm not aware of others getting interview invites from those places yet ? (ok i'm gonna have to double check that).

Got my rejection from Duke today.... oh well... at least its one less place to go...

Rejected by Yale today.

Anyone heard a thing from the Wisconsin programs?

Rush doesn't send out interviews until late (if they are like last year) - it was the last place I heard from, in either late november or early december, and there was a small window for interviews anyway. So certainly don't despair if you haven't heard from them.

U Chicago, by this time last year anyway, had contacted most of their interviewees. That may be different this year though.

As for the rest, can't help, sorry!

BIDMC, email. Couple days ago.