Interviews: A Comedy of Errors

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

What was the result of an interview where you did/suffered something embarrassing?

• Accepted

Votes: 30 55.6%
  • Waitlisted

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Rejected

Votes: 12 22.2%
  • Ran from building, went into hiding on deserted island

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters
Interviewer: Do you have any habies?
Me: Excuse me?
Interviewer:...habies...?
Me: Habies?
Interviewer: Yea, things you like doing in your free time
Me: Oh, hobbies!

Couldn't have been a good impression.
Do ya like dags?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Interviewer: Do you have any habies?
Me: Excuse me?
Interviewer:...habies...?
Me: Habies?
Interviewer: Yea, things you like doing in your free time
Me: Oh, hobbies!

Couldn't have been a good impression.

:laugh:

At my last interview, we were all talking to one of the deans, and the girl next to me while asking the dean a question, said "a salt of grain". Thank god that wasn't me (or was it...?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
OMG...this is not me, but I just don't understand WHY school always serve like loudest food during interviews. Like, we had sandwich, chips and apples. So during one school interview this kid continuously decided to eat the loudest and crunchiest food possible during the Dean's presentation and we're all like O_________________O stop, f**king eating for a second!!!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
That is literally my nightmare bless your soul

Lol, what's crazy is that we had like 3 school interviews together. What sucked was trying to hold it all in when your ass feels like it's going to explode because of your anxiety.

OMG...this is not me, but I just don't understand WHY school always serve like loudest food during interviews. Like, we had sandwich, chips and apples. So during one school interview this kid continuously decided to eat the loudest and crunchiest food possible during the Dean's presentation and we're all like O_________________O stop, f**king eating for a second!!!!

You should have applied to some of the schools I attended interviews at. We were treated to full continental breakfasts, and for lunch: full course beef/chicken fajitas with all the extras (rice, guac, beans, etc) choco cake, build your own pasta bar with salad and varieties of pastries for dessert, and lasagna/whole Mexican spread, along with the usual sandwiches, chips, cookie....

Reactions: 1 users
You should have applied to some of the schools I attended interviews at. We were treated to full continental breakfasts, and for lunch: full course beef/chicken fajitas with all the extras (rice, guac, beans, etc) choco cake, build your own pasta bar with salad and varieties of pastries for dessert, and lasagna/whole Mexican spread, along with the usual sandwiches, chips, cookie....
Um excuse me.

You are under legal obligation to share the school information with the other poor, starving premeds. ;)

Um excuse me.

You are under legal obligation to share the school information with the other poor, starving premeds. ;)

Just make sure you drive friendly...

CoolElasticImperatorangel-small.gif

UT Southwestern perhaps? They're quite generous with feeding the applicants and any hungry students who show up to interview events. Or are all Texas schools like that?

McGovern, UT-Long: Continental breakfast
UTMB, A&M, Dell, TCOM: Decent breakfast
McGovern: Full course beef/chicken fajitas with all the extras (rice, guac, beans, etc) and choco cake for lunch
UT-Long: Build your own pasta bar with salad and varieties of pastries for lunch
TT-El Paso: Lasagna/whole Mexican spread and dessert for lunch
UTMB: Interview went late and most of the food was gone by time I returned to the hall
Dell, TCOM: Sandwiches, chips, cookies for lunch

Last edited:
McGovern, UT-Long: Continental breakfast
UTMB, A&M, Dell, TCOM: Decent breakfast
McGovern: Full course beef/chicken fajitas with all the extras (rice, guac, beans, etc) and choco cake for lunch
UT-Long: Build your own pasta bar with salad and varieties of pastries for lunch
TT-El Paso: Lasagna/whole Mexican spread and dessert for lunch
UTMB: Interview went late and most of the food was gone by time I returned to the hall
Dell, TCOM: Sandwiches, chips, cookies for lunch
Damn, I knew I should have applied to Texas schools. The highlight of my food experience so far has been a sandwich from Honeybaked Ham... which was delicious, but nothing of the caliber of Texas schools.

Clearly I should have applied to more Texas schools too. Most of my interviews were just typical sandwich/chips/cookie also

WVU had a really nice lunch - some sort of meat (which I didn't eat), stuffed peppers, roasted potatoes, mashed potatoes, asparagus, green beans, bread + butter, salad, iced tea, and two whole trays of desserts

No breakfast, so definitely cannot compare to Texas schools. You guys are definitely well fed!!

OK, Ima do it… (And this is the last time I’ll hijack this thread for my nefarious plans, I promise.) This is for @Goro.

HomeSkool and The Mrs. Visit India, the UK, and France

I had another non-medical conference to attend in Mumbai this past September. Somehow, I convinced my wife to go along with me (OK, so that's the second dumb thing she's done since we met, but that's it, I promise). The conference ran from Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon, at which point we had decided to travel to the Darjeeling/Gangtok area. You must understand, visiting that part of the world has been on my bucket list FOREVER. I booked our air travel in May, and my wife coordinated the Darjeeling/Gangtok portion of our trip with an Indian travel agency. Our plan was to fly to Mumbai on September 12, proceed to Darjeeling on the 18th, and go home on the 22nd. Now, we assumed that if anything happened in India that would make part of our trip unsafe – say, political unrest around Darjeeling all summer long – the tourism company would alert us. We were wrong. It would normally take five or six people to be as wrong as we were.

September 5
We had already paid most of the money we owed to the tourism company, and my wife contacted them to make our final payment. She got the following message in response:
I would like to inform you due to some internal problem between local people in Darjeeling strike is going on for paste many days and traveler are effected in it, But final decision will come on 12 September on strike.

So will keep you updated on situation and for payment please hold for couple of more days.

Obviously, we did a little research. It seems there had been protests and strikes in the region since June, ultimately requiring the Indian military to evacuate tourists who got stranded there when all the services shut down. By September, the only things still open were the hospitals and pharmacies. That’s right: the hotels were closed. And the September 12 “final decision”? That was actually the date of the next sit-down between the protesters and the government – not the date on which things would be back to normal.

So we discussed what to do. My wife said, “We don't have to stay in India after your conference. We could go wherever we want – London, Paris, you name it.” Knowing that she’d been a little bit shaken by the whole thing, I said, “Let’s go to London.” So I called Expedia to change our travel arrangements. And they informed me that Air India would charge us a $400 fee per ticket to change our flights. I explained that the hotels were all closed, and surely there was some sort of exception for cases of political unrest. The lady at Expedia said that yes, there was, and the airline was offering free cancellation of trips departing by September 8. So we had to eat $800 just for the privilege of not going to a warzone.

There was also the matter of the travel company. We wrote and requested a refund of our money, gently chastising the company for even booking our trip at a time when protests were ongoing (we booked with them in July). We got the following response:
Since you are coming to India and flights are booked, I would request you to kindly change your plan from Darjeeling to any other destination and we can arrange alternative trip for you.

In case of cancellation company cancellation policy will be applicable

The policy stipulated that we would only get 50% of our money back for canceling so late. So we dropped the hammer: we wrote back reminding them that they had a contract with us to provide a vacation in that area – a contract that they couldn’t possibly honor – and that their failure to refund us would be taken as a sign of bad faith. We also hinted that we’d throw around the name of their company in negative online reviews. But we also dangled an olive branch: if they refunded our money, they’d be the first company we’d consider the next time we visited the country. Presented with these options, they decided to do the right thing.

September 6-11
Hurricane Irma came at the US mainland, and the remnants of the storm looked like they might wreak havoc with our travel. Fortunately, the hurricane's remnants passed by our departure airport on September 11, leaving our departure date clear. But that totally would have been just my luck.

September 12
We were scheduled to depart at 6:50 pm flying with American Airlines to London, then onward to Mumbai with British Airways. We drove to the airport and got to our gate without trouble. But it could never be that simple, could it? Let the delays begin…

American’s rep came over the PA system and announced that our flight would be delayed. Then he did it again. And again. They were changing a tire on our aircraft. It took hours. The following is the list of departure times announced for our flight:

- 6:50
- 7:30
- 8:15
- 8:30
- 8:45
- 8:55
- 9:10

It soon became obvious we’d miss our connecting flight. British Airways has two flights from London to Mumbai every day, and we were scheduled for the one departing at 10:05 am. My wife called the airline and got us switched to the 9:25 pm flight. I e-mailed our hotel in Mumbai and asked them to drop the first night of our reservation. They responded that the hotel had no vacancy, so we’d have to pay for the first night’s stay even though we’d spend the night in airplane seats. FML all over again.

We eventually got off the ground, and at least they'd got the tire changed correctly, even if it did take them three hours.

September 13
We arrived in London and got our bearings. An airline representative told us we needed to collect our bags, then recheck them in order to make the switch from one airline to another. That sounded odd – I’d never heard of such a thing before – but hey, we figured, these people drink their beer warm; who knows what other insane things they do? So we arrived at baggage claim, but our bags did not. We went to the British Airways customer service desk to find out what was going on.

The customer “service” lady was unhelpful. “You’re wrong. You’re not on the 9:25 flight tonight, you’re supposed to be on the Air India flight departing in 35 minutes.”

“No, we’re not.”

“Yes, you are. Next!”

So I used my imagination to make a voodoo doll of that lady and stick pins in it, then went to the American Airlines desk. This lady actually was helpful. She explained that the airline had taken it upon themselves to switch us to another airline to connect us through to Mumbai with only a one-hour delay relative to our initial itinerary. Sadly, they had neglected to tell us this, and the flight was departing from another terminal. She apologized for the confusion and gave us some meal vouchers.

We spent the day napping at Heathrow before flying out that night. So hooray, our one overnight flight turned into two! Just like South Africa! At least I’m consistent.

September 14
We arrived in India. Surprising exactly no one, our bags didn't. They were still in London (surely you all saw that one coming). At least we had our carry-ons. At our hotel, one of my friends whom I’d seen in South Africa said, “Well, you were delayed a bit, but at least they didn’t lose your bags this time!” “Yes, they did,” I replied. She LOL'd. Then she saw that I wasn’t kidding. “Holy cow, how unlucky can you be?”

At this point, I’m convinced it’s more than just bad luck. It’s more like God uses my travel plans to do the cosmic equivalent of poking me in the ribs with a stick.

September 15
Our luggage arrived! Mine looked great. My wife's, not so much. They had broken one of the telescoping tow bars from the handle and nearly ripped off the top handle. Worse, they had spilled some truly foul liquid all over it. The best way to describe the smell is “skunk milk curdled into rancid yogurt in the belly of Satan himself.” You should all be really grateful I can’t transmit smells over the internet, because I’d totally do it just to make you suffer with me.

September 18
We flew to London, and the plane didn’t crash! And I learned that Iran doesn't look quite as crazy from 40,000 feet.

September 20
We took the Eurostar (AKA the Chunnel train) to Paris for the day. On our way out, I was chatting with the people across from us when my wife leaned over and said, “You gonna go?”

“Am I gonna go where?”

“They just called for a doctor.”

I didn’t believe her. She was serious. So I went. Another passenger had slipped when the train jolted, struck his head on the wall, and got knocked senseless. I checked him out together with an EMT and a nurse. The Eurostar's first aid kit was pathetic: just gauze, no BP cuff, no glucometer, no stethoscope. I told them they needed to address that.

I mention this experience as a warning. The mode of transportation doesn’t matter: if you travel with me, my karma will find you, and it will smite you.

September 23
We flew home. En route, I found that my seatback monitor wasn’t working. A flight attendant tried rebooting it, but that didn’t help. So without my permission, she took remote control of my monitor and pushed a movie to it with which I was unfamiliar. About 30 seconds in, my screen displayed a topless woman (not censored, not blurred, on a flight where kids could see it). I hit the power button, only to find it wasn’t working. So I got up, found a flight attendant, and told her I wanted my monitor turned off immediately. It took her five minutes to turn it off. During that time, the movie showed full frontal nudity.

Well, that was that last straw, and when we got home I wrote a letter complaining to American Airlines – the first complaint letter I’ve ever sent an airline. Specifically, I mentioned the delays to our first flight that caused me to pay for a hotel night that I didn’t get to enjoy, the destruction of my wife’s suitcase (because that’s what it was: property destruction), and the pushing of objectionable content to my monitor by one of their employees. I asked them for $500 of restitution: $250 in cash to compensate me for the hotel and suitcase; and $250 in vouchers for their overall ineptitude, poor judgment, and *******ery. They responded by giving me vouchers worth $600. So it wasn’t all bad.

So thanks for letting me hijack this thread a little bit (like you had a choice). I feel a lot better now. That’s the last travel story I’ll share, mainly because it’s the last time I traveled so I don’t have any more (yet). I’ll make a new thread warning you the next time I go anywhere.

Last edited:
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
OK, Ima do it… (And this is the last time I’ll hijack this thread for my nefarious plans, I promise.) This is for @Goro.

HomeSkool and The Mrs. Visit India, the UK, and France.

I had another non-medical conference to attend in Mumbai this past September. Somehow, I convinced my wife to go along with me (OK, so that's the second dumb thing she's done since we met, but that's it, I promise). The conference ran from Thursday evening through Sunday afternoon, at which point we had decided to travel to the Darjeeling/Gangtok area. You must understand, visiting that part of the world has been on my bucket list FOREVER. I booked our air travel in May, and my wife coordinated the Darjeeling/Gangtok portion of our trip with an Indian travel agency. Our plan was to fly to Mumbai on September 12, proceed to Darjeeling on the 18th, and go home on the 22nd. Now, we assumed that if anything happened in India that would make part of our trip unsafe – say, political unrest around Darjeeling all summer long – the tourism company would alert us. We were wrong. It would normally take five or six people to be as wrong as we were.

September 5
We had already paid most of the money we owed to the tourism company, and my wife contacted them to make our final payment. She got the following message in response:

Obviously, we did a little research. It seems there had been protests and strikes in the region since June, ultimately requiring the Indian military to evacuate tourists who got stranded there when all the services shut down. By September, the only things still open were the hospitals and pharmacies. That’s right: the hotels were closed. And the September 12 “final decision”? That was actually the date of the next sit-down between the protesters and the government – not the date on which things would be back to normal.

So we discussed what to do. My wife said, “We don't have to stay in India after your conference. We could go wherever we want – London, Paris, you name it.” Knowing that she’d been a little bit shaken by the whole thing, I said, “Let’s go to London.” So I called Expedia to change our travel arrangements. And they informed me that Air India would charge is $400 fee per ticket to change our flights. I explained that the hotels were all closed, and surely there was some sort of exception for cases of political unrest. The lady at Expedia said that yes, there was, and the airline was offering free cancellation of trips departing by September 8. So we had to eat $800 just for the privilege of not going to a warzone.

There was also the matter of the travel company. We wrote and requested a refund of our money, gently chastising the company for even booking our trip at a time when protests were ongoing (we booked with them in July). We got the following response:

The policy stipulated that we would only get 50% of our money back for canceling so late. So we dropped the hammer: we wrote back reminding them that they had a contract with us to provide a vacation in that area – a contract that they couldn’t possibly honor – and that their failure to refund us would be taken as a sign of bad faith. We also hinted that we’d throw around the name of their company in negative online reviews. But we also dangled an olive branch: if they refunded our money, they’d be the first company we’d consider the next time we visited the country. Presented with these options, they decided to do the right thing.

September 6-11
Hurricane Irma came at the US mainland, and the remnants of the storm looked like they might wreak havoc with our travel. Fortunately, the hurricane's remnants passed by our departure airport on September 11, leaving our departure date clear. But that totally would have been just my luck.

September 12
We were scheduled to depart at 6:50 pm flying with American Airlines to London, then onward to Mumbai with British Airways. We drove to the airport and got to our gate without trouble. But it could never be that simple, could it? Let the delays begin…

American’s rep came over the PA system and announced that our flight would be delayed. Then he did it again. And again. They were changing a tire on our aircraft. It took hours. The following is the list of departure times announced for our flight:

It soon became obvious we’d miss our connecting flight. British Airways has two flights from London to Mumbai every day, and we were scheduled for the one departing at 10:05 am. My wife called the airline and got us switched to the 9:25 pm flight. I e-mailed our hotel in Mumbai and asked them to drop the first night of our reservation. They responded that the hotel had no vacancy, so we’d have to pay for the first night’s stay even though we’d spend the night in airplane seats. FML all over again.

We eventually got off the ground, and at least they'd got the tire changed correctly, even if it did take them three hours.

September 13
We arrived in London and got our bearings. An airline representative told us we needed to collect our bags, then recheck them in order to make the switch from one airline to another. That sounded odd – I’d never heard of such a thing before – but hey, we figured, these people drink their beer warm; who knows what other insane things they do? So we arrived at baggage claim, but our bags did not. We went to the British Airways customer service desk to find out what was going on.

The customer “service” lady was unhelpful. “You’re wrong. You’re not on the 9:25 flight tonight, you’re supposed to be on the Air India flight departing in 35 minutes.”

“No, we’re not.”

“Yes, you are. Next!”

So I used my imagination to make a voodoo doll of that lady and stick pins in it, then went to the American Airlines desk. This lady actually was helpful. She explained that the airline had taken it upon themselves to switch us to another airline to connect us through to Mumbai with only a one-hour delay relative to our initial itinerary. Sadly, they had neglected to tell us this, and the flight was departing from another terminal. She apologized for the confusion and gave us some meal vouchers.

We spent the day napping at Heathrow before flying out that night. So hooray, our one overnight flight turned into two! Just like South Africa! At least I’m consistent.

September 14
We arrived in India. Surprising exactly no one, our bags didn't. They were still in London (surely you all saw that one coming). At least we had our carry-ons. At our hotel, one of my friends whom I’d seen in South Africa said, “Well, you were delayed a bit, but at least they didn’t lose your bags this time!” “Yes, they did,” I replied. She LOL'd. Then she saw that I wasn’t kidding. “Holy cow, how unlucky can you be?”

At this point, I’m convinced it’s more than just bad luck. It’s more like God uses my travel plans to do the cosmic equivalent of poking me in the ribs with a stick.

September 15
Our luggage arrived! Mine looked great. My wife's, not so much. They had broken one of the telescoping tow bars from the handle and nearly ripped off the top handle. Worse, they had spilled some truly foul liquid all over it. The best way to describe the smell is “skunk milk curdled into rancid yogurt in the belly of Satan himself.” You should all be really grateful I can’t transmit smells over the internet, because I’d totally do it just to make you suffer with me.

September 18
We flew to London, and the plane didn’t crash! And I learned that Iran doesn't look quite as crazy from 40,000 feet.

September 20
We took the Eurostar (AKA the Chunnel train) to Paris for the day. On our way out, I was chatting with the people across from us when my wife leaned over and said, “You gonna go?”

“Am I gonna go where?”

I didn’t believe her. She was serious. So I went. Another passenger had slipped when the train jolted, struck his head on the wall, and got knocked senseless. I checked him out together with an EMT and a nurse. The Eurostar's first aid kit was pathetic: gauze, no BP cuff, no glucometer, no stethoscope. I told them they needed to address that.

I mention this experience as a warning. The mode of transportation doesn’t matter: if you travel with me, my karma will find you, and it will smite you.

September 23
We flew home. En route, I found that my seatback monitor wasn’t working. A flight attendant tried rebooting it, but that didn’t help. So without my permission, she took remote control of my monitor and pushed a movie to it with which I was unfamiliar. About 30 seconds in, my screen displayed a topless woman (not censored, not blurred, on a flight where kids could see it). I hit the power button, only to find it wasn’t working. So I got up and found a flight attendant, and told her I wanted my monitor turned off immediately. It took her five minutes to turn it off. During that time, the movie showed full frontal nudity.

Well, that was that last straw, and when we got home I wrote a letter complaining to American Airlines – the first complaint letter I’ve ever sent an airline. Specifically, I mentioned the delays to our first flight that caused me to pay for a hotel night that I didn’t get to enjoy, the destruction of my wife’s suitcase (because that’s what it was: property destruction), and the pushing of objectionable content to my monitor by one of their employees. I asked them for $500 of restitution: $250 to compensate me for the hotel and suitcase; and $250 for their overall ineptitude, poor judgment, and *******ery. They responded by giving me vouchers worth $600. So it wasn’t all bad.

So thanks for letting me hijack this thread a little bit (like you had a choice). I feel a lot better now. That’s the last travel story I’ll share, mainly because it’s the last time I traveled so I don’t have any more (yet). I’ll make a new thread warning you the next time I go anywhere.
Since this thread is about letting other people's pain soothe your own, it's not a hijacking so much as a gentle redirection.

At this point when you travel I hope that you just start drinking as soon as you're in the cab for the airport, with your lucky socks, lucky shirt, lucky shoes, four leaf clover collection, rabbit's foot earrings....................

So help me, I don't even want to be in the same time zone as you when you're travelling!!!

HomeSkool and The Mrs. Visit India, the UK, and France.

September 5

So we discussed what to do. My wife said, “We don't have to stay in India after your conference. We could go wherever we want – London, Paris, you name it.” Knowing that she’d been a little bit shaken by the whole thing, I said, “Let’s go to London.” So I called Expedia to change our travel arrangements. And they informed me that Air India would charge is $400 fee per ticket to change our flights. I explained that the hotels were all closed, and surely there was some sort of exception for cases of political unrest. The lady at Expedia said that yes, there was, and the airline was offering free cancellation of trips departing by September 8. So we had to eat $800 just for the privilege of not going to a warzone.

September 6-11

September 12

September 13

“No, we’re not.”

“Yes, you are. Next!”

September 14

September 15

September 18

September 20

“Am I gonna go where?”

I didn’t believe her. She was serious. So I went. Another passenger had slipped when the train jolted, struck his head on the wall, and got knocked senseless. I checked him out together with an EMT and a nurse. The Eurostar's first aid kit was pathetic: gauze, no BP cuff, no glucometer, no stethoscope. I told them they needed to address that.

September 23
We flew home. En route, I found that my seatback monitor wasn’t working. A flight attendant tried rebooting it, but that didn’t help. So without my permission, she took remote control of my monitor and pushed a movie to it with which I was unfamiliar. About 30 seconds in, my screen displayed a topless woman (not censored, not blurred, on a flight where kids could see it). I hit the power button, only to find it wasn’t working. So I got up and found a flight attendant, and told her I wanted my monitor turned off immediately. It took her five minutes to turn it off. During that time, the movie showed full frontal nudity.

Well, that was that last straw, and when we got home I wrote a letter complaining to American Airlines – the first complaint letter I’ve ever sent an airline. Specifically, I mentioned the delays to our first flight that caused me to pay for a hotel night that I didn’t get to enjoy, the destruction of my wife’s suitcase (because that’s what it was: property destruction), and the pushing of objectionable content to my monitor by one of their employees. I asked them for $500 of restitution: $250 to compensate me for the hotel and suitcase; and $250 for their overall ineptitude, poor judgment, and *******ery. They responded by giving me vouchers worth $600. So it wasn’t all bad.

So help me, I don't even want to be in the same time zone as you when you're travelling!!!
I think that's a wise plan. Don't even be in the flight path.

On the bright side, we're using those vouchers to bring out my sister-in-law and her husband in a few months. Maybe. If the vouchers aren't too tainted. Which they probably are, so never mind.

I forgot to mention: when we got home, we had to sit at the baggage claim for an hour because they couldn't get the plane's cargo for open.

You're now on the TSA list for "I dunno why, just don't let that guy through because things start getting crazy"

Reactions: 3 users
When asked about the responsibilities of being a physician I launched into an extended monologue about the immense responsibilities and fulfillment that come from being a physician. I was really on a roll. I closed my response with, "With great power comes great responsibility"

My interviewer both sat there staring at each other in silence for ~5 seconds before I blurted out "OHMYGOD I just quoted spider man in an interview" and (thank god) he broke down laughing.

Have to follow up on this one since I just laughed at it again--- did you hear back from this school, possibly from a spider man impersonator? :laugh:

Have to follow up on this one since I just laughed at it again--- did you hear back from this school, possibly from a spider man impersonator? :laugh:

Yea the interviewer actually called me a few weeks later to tell me I got in and got a scholarship. I guess my incompetence was endearing :shrug:

I think most interviewers are aware the interviewees are terrified inside and will cut you a little slack

I think that's a wise plan. Don't even be in the flight path.

On the bright side, we're using those vouchers to bring out my sister-in-law and her husband in a few months. Maybe. If the vouchers aren't too tainted. Which they probably are, so never mind.

Vouchers are awesome. A plane I was on (airline’s name omitted because I actually like them and think they handled it well) had to make an emergency landing because the fuel valve froze, and we lost power to both engines. They gave us vouchers that we used to go see my Bro-in-law.

Vouchers are awesome. A plane I was on (airline’s name omitted because I actually like them and think they handled it well) had to make an emergency landing because the fuel valve froze, and we lost power to both engines. They gave us vouchers that we used to go see my Bro-in-law.
Scary! Glad you're still here with us!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Have to follow up on this one since I just laughed at it again--- did you hear back from this school, possibly from a spider man impersonator?
If a candidate quoted Spider-Man in an interview with me, I'd stand up, say, "Interview over, welcome to our school," and then go tell the dean he had no choice in the matter.

If the candidate quoted Batman, I'd give him/her a scholarship.

And Batman in Christian Bale's voice? Additional stipend for living expenses and school materials.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
Yea the interviewer actually called me a few weeks later to tell me I got in and got a scholarship. I guess my incompetence was endearing :shrug:

I think most interviewers are aware the interviewees are terrified inside and will cut you a little slack
Congratulations, that's amazing!!!!

I hope you watched one of the spider man movies to celebrate :p

Walked into a great allo interview feelin' fine... Interviewer opens with this line: "Look, nurses can become doctors, but..."
+pity+

Reactions: 6 users
I recently used exclusively male pronouns when referring to a hypothetical physician in my interview answer (with a female physician).

First instance: eyes look up from notes.
Second instance: eyes narrow (jimmy rustling intensifies)
Third instance: sets down her pen

Yikes. How'd you respond?

Eh, well his complete question was: "Look, nurses can become doctors but you're going to face a lot of challenges because of your background. What kinds of things do you think I might be referring to?"

So at this point, I knew he was trying to throw a jab at nurses/vaguely imply that I'm somehow going to be less of a physician/unable to handle academic rigors, but all of my interview training focuses on turning negativity into positivity. So my answer was very canned-sounding:

"I know that as a physician the amount of time I will have to spend with each patient will be much less than in my current role, so I am hoping to find a school that will help build my efficiency so that I can [blahblahblah generic patient-centered response]"

I thought I did a decent job, but it bothered me for the rest of the day that he was basically opening with a sort of jab. Obviously he could have been probing to see if I was going to react emotionally or be oversensitive or have little man syndrome or something. Meh. I stand behind my performance that day, but was a little irked.

Eh, well his complete question was: "Look, nurses can become doctors but you're going to face a lot of challenges because of your background. What kinds of things do you think I might be referring to?"

So at this point, I knew he was trying to throw a jab at nurses/vaguely imply that I'm somehow going to be less of a physician/unable to handle academic rigors, but all of my interview training focuses on turning negativity into positivity. So my answer was very canned-sounding:

"I know that as a physician the amount of time I will have to spend with each patient will be much less than in my current role, so I am hoping to find a school that will help build my efficiency so that I can [blahblahblah generic patient-centered response]"

I thought I did a decent job, but it bothered me for the rest of the day that he was basically opening with a sort of jab. Obviously he could have been probing to see if I was going to react emotionally or be oversensitive or have little man syndrome or something. Meh. I stand behind my performance that day, but was a little irked.

I guess. I think he worded it that way to see how you would respond, but it is a legitimate question. I think you answered it well.

Damn, I knew I should have applied to Texas schools. The highlight of my food experience so far has been a sandwich from Honeybaked Ham... which was delicious, but nothing of the caliber of Texas schools.
UVA's lunch was by far my best...full salad and soup bar, sesame chicken, some type of meat (beef or ham, not sure because I didnt go for it) cut to order, rolls. Also coffee after and a choice of desserts. I went with creme brulee cheesecake which was AMAZING

Sounds like your answer was the kind of logical, patient-centered care answer that I try to prod my brain to come up with. Nice!

UVA's lunch was by far my best...full salad and soup bar, sesame chicken, some type of meat (beef or ham, not sure because I didnt go for it) cut to order, rolls. Also coffee after and a choice of desserts. I went with creme brulee cheesecake which was AMAZING
I would literally be shoving that food in my bag for later so maybe it's good that most of my interviews so far have been plain lunches

Reactions: 3 users
Just had an MMI at my top choice school where, despite using Chap Stick, my lips became dry and started cracking. In effort to stop the slow bleeding, I started subtly licking my lips. I didn't even think about how it may have looked from the interviewers' perspectives until my last station. I wonder how my female interviewers will score me :bang:

i talked about druids and faeries on my interview. oops

What's the context on the druid/faerie convo? Inquiring minds want to know

Oh, they're asking for a doctor. (pause) Oh. A doctor. That means me. Dammit. I got up and found a flight attendant. Another passenger had syncopized (likely dehydration with a vasovagal component). A UK-trained physician also responded, and we tag-teamed a quick in-flight workup. The flight attendants asked us if the captain needed to do an emergency landing. "Aren't we over Libya right now?" I asked the other doctor. "Yes," she replied. "Then regardless of this patient's status, the answer is no, don't land. It's better that one patient should perish than that we all should get killed," I said. But the patient was OK.
god damnit you are one cool SOB.

was asked what kind of books do I read and I proceeded to talk about my favorite series.
That's cool. If an interviewee told me that I'd think nothing of it (except that they're just as much of a nerd as I am). If they told me they were reading Mein Kampf, well, that might be different.

Interview 9: Despite wearing my more comfortable shoes, started to get a hip muscle cramp halfway through the walking tour. Ignored it for as long as I could while it got worse and worse. Eventually, gave in and stuck my knuckles into that sucker to stop the spasm. Result: I basically punched myself in the side of the butt while trying to gracefully navigate the school tour. :sorry:

That's cool. If an interviewee told me that I'd think nothing of it (except that they're just as much of a nerd as I am). If they told me they were reading Mein Kampf, well, that might be different.

I was asked the same question and almost answered “Stiff” by Mary Roach. But I thought better of it and remembered the last Malcolm Gladwell book I read.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

In regards to one of my essays, my interviewer didn't know what LGBTQ stood for, so I explained that and the interview moved on. But then later when I mentioned this annual drag queen competition that I went to when at undergrad (I still don't know why I brought it up! It wasn't even that relevant), I figured that my interviewer didn't know what drag queens were either, so I attempted to explain female impersonation. Needless to say that I doubt I will hear anything back regarding this school... I learned my lesson for subsequent interviews though, so that's good I guess

Hmmm if I'm asked about my favorite shows/tv at an interview would it be a good idea to talk about all the anime I watch and then explain how they teach important life lessons about friendship and never giving up? I can even go one step further and relate that to why I want to be a doctor...

Hmmm if I'm asked about my favorite shows/tv at an interview would it be a good idea to talk about all the anime I watch and then explain how they teach important life lessons about friendship and never giving up? I can even go one step further and relate that to why I want to be a doctor...

I think you are overthinking this question. Just say you like watching anime because it brings you pleasure. Trying to relate it to why you want to be a doctor is overkill.

My answer to this question would be, "I like watching the old 1950-60s, black and white series, The Twilight Zone because I like horror flicks and the suspense and the surprise that ends every episode are thought provoking." Perhaps give an example of an episode I like....

I think you are overthinking this question. Just say you like watching anime because it brings you pleasure. Trying to relate it to why you want to be a doctor is overkill.

My answer to this question would be, "I like watching the old 1950-60s, black and white series, The Twilight Zone because I like horror flicks and the suspense and the surprise that ends every episode are thought provoking." Perhaps give an example of an episode I like....

Are you sure? I would feel the need to relate everything as to why I want to be a doctor. Like if they asked me my favorite food, I'd have to say pizza because removing a slice from the whole reminds me of all the parts that come together to make a great doctor.

P.s I'm totally lost as to whether you thought I was serious or not :confused::p