Interviews, acceptances and rejections

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'm in no way getting my hopes up, but perhaps it's just different for Epi? I haven't heard of anyone hearing anything from Epi so far...

Well, in the results search on thegradcafe.com., someone was accepted via phone. Of course, we don't know if they called her/him, or vice versa.

Members don't see this ad.

Well, I called my division (Health and Social Behavior) at Berkeley today and I got rejected. If anyone is waiting to hear their decision from Berkeley I would recommend calling the specific division and they will tell you your answer. If its bad news, its probably better to get it right away then waiting for 2-3 weeks to get it.

Well, in the results search on thegradcafe.com., someone was accepted via phone. Of course, we don't know if they called her/him, or vice versa.
That person was me and they called me informing me of a merit award. I contacted them asking if that meant I was admitted and they said yes.

Members don't see this ad :)
That person was me and they called me informing me of a merit award. I contacted them asking if that meant I was admitted and they said yes.

So it *seems* that no one from epi has heard one way or another via their Michigan account. Perhaps they're only notifying by mail?

Though we are an isolated sample. Ratonlaveur, does your decision link on your account lead to an acceptance letter?

So it *seems* that no one from epi has heard one way or another via their Michigan account. Perhaps they're only notifying by mail?

You know, I just went back to my "check the link" email, and there are instructions below for paying the enrollment deposit. I don't know if that's a clue that I was accepted, or if that's included in every email. :xf:

Though we are an isolated sample. Ratonlaveur, does your decision link on your account lead to an acceptance letter?

I heard through my Michigan account that I was accepted to both Epi and Int Health; I clicked on a link and a video played.

To raton: how did you find out about your merit-based aid? I'm on pins and needles waiting for a call about that to come in, but since my phone is not US then I'm not sure that they would call it... did they then send you an email as well. Thanks!

Just received an email from Cal's SPH stating that I've been recommended for admission to the MPH program in HPM. Formal admission will be offered upon receipt of all official transcripts. I'm so excited, but now I have to make a decision between Cal and UMich. Not complaining, though. :D

Just received an email from Cal's SPH stating that I've been recommended for admission to the MPH program in HPM. Formal admission will be offered upon receipt of all official transcripts. I'm so excited, but now I have to make a decision between Cal and UMich. Not complaining, though. :D

Congrats! Just got the recommendation of admission as well from Berkeley HPM. Great news!

omg omg omg omg....just got acceptance email from Berkeley HPM AND an invitation to visit day!!! omg omg omg omg :D

MHA

Acceptances: U of Iowa, U of Florida

Waiting on: Ohio State University

I still haven't received anything from OSU? Has anyone else?

omg omg omg omg....just got acceptance email from Berkeley HPM AND an invitation to visit day!!! omg omg omg omg :D

Got into the UCB's HPM program at 3pm today too! I was in shock! The email was sneaky and just said "Spring Visit Day" stuff on it so I clicked it and it said Congratulations and everything. I'm excited too but now I'm in a dilemma between UCB's HPM and UCLA's CHS. What do you think I should choose?

Members don't see this ad :)
Got into the UCB's HPM program at 3pm today too! I was in shock! The email was sneaky and just said "Spring Visit Day" stuff on it so I clicked it and it said Congratulations and everything. I'm excited too but now I'm in a dilemma between UCB's HPM and UCLA's CHS. What do you think I should choose?

I have seen a lot of posts for people who are trying to decide between Berkeley HPM and UCLA CHS. I did not apply to UCLA, but I was under the impression that the health services concentration at UCLA was the equivalent of Berkeley's HPM program. Is this the case? I am curious because CHS at UCLA and HPM at Berkeley look like very different programs.

Just received word that UMich offered me a 1/4 ride for the International Health Program! 99% sure that I will be attending there now.

Weird situation for me - Umich didn't accept me into IH but was willing to accept me into general epid
Except nothing has shown up on wolverineaccess :confused:

I would love to know if they're willing to offer financial aid...

Accepted this morning to Doctor of Science in Epi at Harvard via email with link to online account. :)

Accepted at UIC CHS this morning (via mail and I applied 1/30). I've had a very tough time getting insider perspectives of UIC (though did talk to one student there)- please PM me if you have comments regarding the CHS program there. Already stressed about the impending school choice decisions!

Accepted at UIC CHS this morning (via mail and I applied 1/30). I've had a very tough time getting insider perspectives of UIC (though did talk to one student there)- please PM me if you have comments regarding the CHS program there. Already stressed about the impending school choice decisions!

OMG, congrats...! You're one of few, apparently....

I still haven't heard back from UIC-CHS or BU-SBS and I don't have a good feeling. My application was sent to committee at UIC on 2/13 and at BU on 2/6. I'm worried the longer wait is a bad sign....

Congrats!!! Out of curiosity, are you looking at MPH or SM2? Any thoughts about Harvard's global health programs versus other prestigious programs like Hopkins? I'm trying to decide between Harvard and Hopkins and wanted to see what others might be considering as well. Thanks!

Accepted Cornell MHA (via phone), Dartmouth MPH (via website), waiting on Emory (MPH - Biostats), Michigan (MPH - Biostats), Tulane (MPH - Biostats), and Texas (MPH - Biostats). Where would you go??????

Just received word that UMich offered me a 1/4 ride for the International Health Program! 99% sure that I will be attending there now.

Hey - So i'm very inclined towards UMich, but the money factor is an issue. Its expensive.
So I'm hoping for some sort of aid to come through from UMich.
How did you find out about your aid?
Is is that you only pay for 1/4 th of the tuition each semester?
Is is a FAFSA thing - where you work on campus or whatever?
Would like to know about your situation.
I'm an international student (India) so I'm not sure what kind of help UMich could extend...

I have seen a lot of posts for people who are trying to decide between Berkeley HPM and UCLA CHS. I did not apply to UCLA, but I was under the impression that the health services concentration at UCLA was the equivalent of Berkeley's HPM program. Is this the case? I am curious because CHS at UCLA and HPM at Berkeley look like very different programs.

Hi, yes they are two different programs and I'm interested in both which is making it more difficult. I'm actually considering looking into Health Services for UCLA too.

Hey - So i'm very inclined towards UMich, but the money factor is an issue. Its expensive.
So I'm hoping for some sort of aid to come through from UMich.
How did you find out about your aid?
Is is that you only pay for 1/4 th of the tuition each semester?
Is is a FAFSA thing - where you work on campus or whatever?
Would like to know about your situation.
I'm an international student (India) so I'm not sure what kind of help UMich could extend...

UMich called to offer aid, and the offer was 1/4 tuition - so I pay 3/4 tuition. It was not a FAFSA thing, it was a merit-based offer... I'm not sure what they do for international students, I'd just call them and ask, they've been very friendly with me when I did that. Hope this helps...

UMich called to offer aid, and the offer was 1/4 tuition - so I pay 3/4 tuition. It was not a FAFSA thing, it was a merit-based offer... I'm not sure what they do for international students, I'd just call them and ask, they've been very friendly with me when I did that. Hope this helps...

Thats pretty impressive. They just offered me admission last week - so it might be too soon to call and ask about fin aid? But what I might do is called the fin aid options and be like what are my options as an international student?
I've been reading alot and UMich for HPM is amazing.
So you're decided on UMIch then? congrats.

Has anybody received an acceptance for MPH from University of Kentucky?

Thats pretty impressive. They just offered me admission last week - so it might be too soon to call and ask about fin aid? But what I might do is called the fin aid options and be like what are my options as an international student?
I've been reading alot and UMich for HPM is amazing.
So you're decided on UMIch then? congrats.

I don't think that it would be too soon to call about aid - I talked to the Epi Dept and they said that their dept would send out offers by the middle of this week to your preferred email address... although they did say that they could not provide information over the phone regarding the awarding of individual schoarlships. I have no idea about options as an international student, but I'm sure the fin aid people from HPM could tell you more about that. I'm fairly close to decided on UMich, I'm waiting to see if I recieve a merit-based aid offer from Emory before making it final tho. Good luck!

I don't think that it would be too soon to call about aid - I talked to the Epi Dept and they said that their dept would send out offers by the middle of this week to your preferred email address... although they did say that they could not provide information over the phone regarding the awarding of individual schoarlships. I have no idea about options as an international student, but I'm sure the fin aid people from HPM could tell you more about that. I'm fairly close to decided on UMich, I'm waiting to see if I recieve a merit-based aid offer from Emory before making it final tho. Good luck!

I participated on a couple of webinars for Emory recently. They said that all merit aids have been decided and applicants contacted. They mentioned there were a total of 35-40 scholarships awarded. I wouldn't have any trouble going to Michigan. Good luck and congrats on getting into some great schools!

I participated on a couple of webinars for Emory recently. They said that all merit aids have been decided and applicants contacted. They mentioned there were a total of 35-40 scholarships awarded. I wouldn't have any trouble going to Michigan. Good luck and congrats on getting into some great schools!

Thanks for the info! I'll call them today just to make sure that that is the case, and if I didn't make the cut, I'll be more than happy attending UMich... in a way not getting money from Emory makes the decision easier. Have you decided on a school yet?

Thanks for the info! I'll call them today just to make sure that that is the case, and if I didn't make the cut, I'll be more than happy attending UMich... in a way not getting money from Emory makes the decision easier. Have you decided on a school yet?

i think i'll hear from harvard hpm today. my status changed on friday so i'm thinking the decision will posted anytime now. if i don't get in there, i'm going to emory. i sort of wish i applied to michigan now, but i will be happy with emory too.

I just got an admit from Hopkins for MPH. Got one from Emory earlier but I think I'll choose Hopkins.....

Last edited:
Sorry to double post, but I'm looking for anyone with thoughts about Harvard vs. Hopkins for international/global health.

Financial Aid for me at HSPH was also a bunch of loans. It looks like Hopkins has a better deal for MHS students (75% tuition reduction for the second year).

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences to share on Hopkins vs. Harvard for global health, in particular incorporating bioethics into public health? Seems like Harvard has some great faculty to work with but Hopkins has a better reputation for Int'l health overall? Any info would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Congrats to those recently accepted--Good luck to people waiting!

I'm in the same boat re: Harvard and Hopkins, and cost is a big concern, especially when the general concensus seems to be that shelling out $$$ for a public health degree isn't really worth it. Half the Harvard loans I got are unsubsidized, too, so it'd really be a struggle to pay for it compared to Hopkins.

As far as each program's relative strengths go, it seems that Hopkins is stronger in epidemiology while Harvard has better faculty in policy/economics, especially since HSPH students can also take classes at the law/grad/gov't schools. I'm not sure where bioethics falls into that spectrum, maybe someone else can chime in? (I got all my "info" from old threads here and at Gradcafe, heh, so I can't guarantee its authenticity.)

Congrats & good luck to everyone as well!

Just got an acceptance letter from them this weekend telling me I'm in to the epi program as a DVM/MPH student! I'm really excited to get to know some of the other dual degree students as well as the epi cohort. Anyone visited the campus or have any firsthand experience with the school?

In at Columbia today :) I believe decisions are now available for everyone...
I'm hoping to hear from the remaining schools soon so I can begin to make (what I anticipate to be) a difficult decision.

So far...
Acceptances
Cornell (MHA)
BU (MPH)
Yale (MPH)
Tufts (MPH)
Brown (MPH)
Columbia (MPH)

Waiting on
Harvard (SM2)
NYU Wagner (MPA)

Accepted to the MPH in Epi at Columbia!

Anyone going to Dartmouth MPH? Thoughts? $50k. No scholarships. Yikes!

Just checked the website and I've been accepted at Hopkins! I'm so happy.

Accepted:
-Hopkins (MPH, customized concentration on global health and infectious diseases)
-GWU (MPH, global health)
-Emory (Career MPH, prevention science)

Stats:
3.3ish undergrad GPA, 1300s GRE with verbal much higher than math, 4 years health-related work experience including 1 year international experience.

I actually have some thinking to do... the Hopkins name can't be beat, but I have had a really warm reception from GW, and I'm liking the fact that I could work at the same time in DC. Logistically, the fall start date at GW would be much easier. I'm a little nervous that because Hopkins is such a large, prestigious university that I will get lost in the crowd and not get as much out of the experience. Anyone else in a similar boat?

In at Columbia today :) I believe decisions are now available for everyone...
I'm hoping to hear from the remaining schools soon so I can begin to make (what I anticipate to be) a difficult decision.

So far...
Acceptances
Cornell (MHA)
BU (MPH)
Yale (MPH)
Tufts (MPH)
Brown (MPH)
Columbia (MPH)

Waiting on
Harvard (SM2)
NYU Wagner (MPA)

Check that. In at Columbia for Health Management.

Just checked the website and I've been accepted at Hopkins! I'm so happy.

Accepted:
-Hopkins (MPH, customized concentration on global health and infectious diseases)
-GWU (MPH, global health)
-Emory (Career MPH, prevention science)

Stats:
3.3ish undergrad GPA, 1300s GRE with verbal much higher than math, 4 years health-related work experience including 1 year international experience.

I actually have some thinking to do... the Hopkins name can't be beat, but I have had a really warm reception from GW, and I'm liking the fact that I could work at the same time in DC. Logistically, the fall start date at GW would be much easier. I'm a little nervous that because Hopkins is such a large, prestigious university that I will get lost in the crowd and not get as much out of the experience. Anyone else in a similar boat?

aspiringmph, I feel the exact same way about GW. I know that it is not ranked nearly as high as some other schools, but they really do seem so much more welcoming and student-friendly, which I am hoping would continue with enrollment. I agree that there are definite advantages to being a big fish in a small pond. Are you going to the GW Open House on 3/28?

By the way, congrats on your acceptance to Hopkins and good luck with making the big decision.

where are you guys finding the columbia decisions??

whats the site?

I've been going to this:
www.[B]mailman[/B].hs.columbia.edu/admissions/onlineapp.htm

but nothing is there when i log in besides my application info that ive been able to see since I started the process

thanks for your help

Hi all -
I applied for UMich's Gen Epi MPH program and I'm kind of freaking out that I haven't been contacted yet.
Would anyone who has heard from UMich mind replying with:
1) Date you submitted to SOPHAS
2) Date your app was sent to UMich
3) Date you got the "your decision will be made available online..." Email
4) Date you were accepted/rejected and how (phone, email, letter)?

Thanks and GL all!!

Has anyone received a "conditional" acceptance from any of the schools? I got one for Columbia MPH in Population and Family Health Dept... has anyone had any experience appealing/waiving a conditional acceptance for a regular acceptance?

where are you guys finding the columbia decisions??

whats the site?

I've been going to this:
www.mailman.hs.columbia.edu/admissions/onlineapp.htm

but nothing is there when i log in besides my application info that ive been able to see since I started the process

thanks for your help

Underneath "Application Status" there is a new "decision status" link. They also sent out an email an hour or so ago.

Got admission in Columbia MPH in Epi today :)

Now I am really confused. Should I go to Hopkins (MHA) or Columbia (MPH - Epi).

Other schools I have been admitted are:
Emory (Bio Stats)
Pitts (MPH Epi)
GWU (MPH Epi)
UIC (MPH Epi)

aspiringmph, I feel the exact same way about GW. I know that it is not ranked nearly as high as some other schools, but they really do seem so much more welcoming and student-friendly, which I am hoping would continue with enrollment. I agree that there are definite advantages to being a big fish in a small pond. Are you going to the GW Open House on 3/28?

By the way, congrats on your acceptance to Hopkins and good luck with making the big decision.
zose, thanks! I spoke with a current student (a friend, not a referral from the adcom) and she had lots of great things to say about the program, especially with regards to communication and policy. She did say the student body skewed younger than that of other schools, but it didn't detract from her experience. She also said she was blown away by how open and helpful the faculty are -- several faculty members actually set her up with job interviews!

What department are you considering at GW? I won't be at the open house -- living too far away right now to make a special trip. But I've lived in DC before and am very familiar with the area.

Has anyone NOT heard from Berkeley (Epi)? I'm beginning to think it's just me...

Also still waiting on UCLA (Epi) - I saw that one person on grad cafe has heard, apparently? Anyone on here?