interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katz5001

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone got interviews from int. med. programs?

Members don't see this ad.

Not yet. Makes me wonder why I completed ERAS so early. Everyone told me to apply early, but I get the feeling that very little happens before the Dean's Letters go out in November. Do programs even care if you applied on September 1?

From other threads, it sounds as if only anesthesia has made interview offers.

Take care.

i know that pedi and psych are also giving out interviews already.

Members don't see this ad :)
i just got two invites from two Boston programs. They are certainly not my top choices, but it feels good to get the invites anyways :). GOOD LUCK TO ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

which 2 programs?

I've gotten invitations from two of my top programs, 1 in Ohio and 1 in Virginia.

The third invitation I got said something like, "We're definitely going to offer you an interview but we like to wait for the Dean's Letter. Call if you have questions or want to interview before November 1"

So I guess I'll count that.

Some of my friends have also gotten interviews in IM already from some pretty good programs.

That really famous place in ohio is not as good for matching cards (internally) as people would think. I have a friend from med school who is doing IM there, who shared this piece of wisdom with me.

are you ref to ccf?

Got an interview at Case Western today. I'm happy.

U of Maryland and Mount Sinai.

Did UMaryland send you a letter or email for your interview offer?

U of Rochester (Strong) and Rush-Presby-St. Luke's.

U Maryland sent an e-mail

Members don't see this ad :)
WashU...the ball's rollin....

Rigomortis,

If you don't mind, could you PM me your stats. I'm very interested in applying to WashU IM.

Thanks.

So far I've gotten interviews at Cleveland Clinic and Oregon Health Sciences...
I assume that the majority of the progams are waiting until they can downlaod the Dean's letter.
JB

one at St. V's in Portland...

CCF
Mayo
Wash U
Michigan
Wisconsin
Duke

St. Raphael, CT....anyone anything about it? any good?

CCF is not a top tier program for internal medicine. Yes, its subspecialities are tops in the country, but the IM residency struggles to match US students. In fact, many of the interns are FMGs. Not that there is anything wrong with being an FMG, but it just makes me wonder why US grads don't want to go there.

I'd have to say CCF is competetive for IM. A lot of the residents are FMG's but there are a lot in the other departments too. The reason, I believe, is that many if not all of the FMG's have done some kind of residency work in their home country, and now have to repeat that residency now that they are in the USA for licensing purposes. And they do well on the USMLE too. So if you are a PD looking at two applicants - one US grad, other FMG - both with similar scores, etc, I think the FMG would be a better candidate than one might think since they already have 1-3 years of residency under their belt, vs a 4th yr US student who has zilch. I think they also like that diversity it adds to a program.

Personally, I like it cuz then I can be around all the women when they talk medicine with those sexy foreign accents! aaaahhhhh.... :D ;)

I have interviews at:
-UC Irvine
-George Washington
-Boston University
-U of Miami
-Tulane
-Brown
-Kaiser SF

share the scoop on any of these programs.

btw what are the top 10 (20 for that matter) IM programs?

i would like to apply to some of these if they already are not on my list.

thanks.

Emory offered me a CAT interview last week. No info on Prelim.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.

Top 10 IM programs (of course this is very subjective):

Mass Gen, Brigham, UCSF, U of Wash, Johns Hopkins,
Wash U, U Penn, Duke, Columbia, Yale

Katz,

I like your list. I would think that UT-Southwestern might have a place on it as (in other lists), I've seen it ranked rather high.

Also, doesn't Yale lose a few steps with the Surgery Residency under such scrutiny. It's hard to have a good IM program without a General Surgery Residency (did they ever get reinstated?)

GI Guy

UPenn

I've heard good reviews about UTSW. I hear it's in the tradition of letting the interns roam, like the MGH's, Columbia's, and Hopkins. Plus, on their website, they say that the Chairman frequently teaches the residents directly, which seems pretty uncommon.

Email rejection from UNC

This is the first time I've seen people post information about rejections, which makes me rather nervous.

I shall shield my eyes when I open my email from now on.

Has anyone heard anything from Yale,New Haven?

Good luck to everyone still waiting on programs. It's becoming very frustrating.

Well, if it's of any help, I was told by one of the program directors at these places that they didn't even start taking a look at applications until Nov 1st. So he said don't expect to hear from them until about a week after.

I wake up in the morning and check my email.

I look at how many "new" messages are in my inbox, and a rush of excitement overwhelms me.

Then, I open the inbox, wait for the messages to load, and realize what I knew all along: The new messages are spam. Or a friendly note from someone I never hear from, otherwise. Or a newletter reminding me that ESPN.com is running a new fantasy sports game in English Rugby.

Honestly, it's killing me.

Sometimes it's even worse. Sometimes I receive an email from my #1 program's ERAS office, and I jump for joy. I close down the inbox, find a private computer (if I'm in the hospital), and go to savor my victory. Then, upon opening the message, I realize it's just a friendly, "we received your application materials via ERAS." It's only a tease.

Unfortunately, I have nothing scheduled for the next 2 weeks. Just a lot of time to sit and ponder and wonder how interviews are going to go week 3. It was much easier on a rotation, when I could distract myself with patient care.

Now, I sit in front of the computer, pouting that there aren't more responses from my "Big 4" and wondering what else I can do to fill up my day.

I had at once thought Election night might be a nice distraction. But it only brought more bad news as my candidates didn't win, my government was taken over by the people my girlfriend says I will become in 5 years. She keeps saying to me, "If you're not a Democrat at 18, you have no heart; if you're not a Republican at 30, you have no brain." It was funny the first time. Now I hate hearing it. I'm 25. Where do I fit into your funny little phrase, eh?

I don't know the answer to that question.

What I do know is that the Democrats sucked it up last night, the "Big 4" can afford to take their sweet time because they're the "Big 4", and I can't wait for the Mailman to get here in the faint hope one of the programs sends a nice brown envelope.

I feel like the five year old waiting for Christmas, only to find they keep moving it back a day.

I share your sentiments, and your time off of rotations (I'm doing research this block--way too much free time). In fact, since so few of us are sharing information on this thread, I'm willing to bet we all have light schedules right now.

Good news is, soon we'll be so busy interviewing that the time between now and March 20 will fly by... right ?

To all who are scoring interviews:

First, congrats.

Would you be willing to state stats/qualifications/accomplishments for the younger generation that follows you in a few years. I am sure that most of us would be curious to know what it takes to get interviews at some of the places listed.

Thanks.