interviews??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone heard from Wash U or U of Wash.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Where does the Mayo IM program rank among the best in the country? I was really aiming to stick around the Ohio/Michigan/Indiana/Illinois region, but I got an invite. I'm trying to be realistic and trying to save $ in travel expenses. How good is Mayo really - in terms of landing fellowships? Is it that much better than a CCF or Henry Ford to warrant checking it out? Thanks for the help guys.

Broke Med Student on the Interview Trail

Waiting on MGH, B and W, Columbia, UVA.

Rejected at UCSF.

About to develop a GIB from all the anxiety.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waiting on MGH, B&W, Columbia, Yale, Wash U, UW

Invites: Hopkins, Duke, Stanford, UMich, Cornell, Mayo

Rejections: UCSF, UPenn

So far no word from U-Wash.

As far as Mayo-Rochester goes, I've great things about the program in terms of teaching and the training you get. I think that the program is one of 10 best in the country. The hospital is ranked high in nearly every field.

I don't think there's any question as to its great reputation and big name. It'll depend on how well you feel you fit in with the other residents and living Rochester, the biggest drawback. I'm coming from the New York City area so it might be tough to get used to living in a small city.

As long as you go to a good academic program, you shouldn't have any problem getting a good fellowship.

I'm interviewing there in mid-Jan (which I may regret when I find myself in a blizzard). Maybe driving from Chicago is an option to save some cash (it's about 350 miles so a 5 hr drive).

N'Western invite today via e-mail.

heard from: UNC, Duke, U Wash (seattle), Cornell, Mt. Sinai, Beth Israel (boston) -- all at least a week ago, things have been slow for the last several days

waiting on: MGH, B&W, UVA, Columbia -- apparently their entire departments must read every word of the application materials (but I'm not complaining :) )

rejection: UCSF

thought i would post mine too:

interviews at: ucsd, harbor-ucla, cedars sinai, ucsf, stanford, ohsu, cornell, mt. sinai, nyu, beth israel (boston), boston university

STILL waiting for: ucla, udub (univ of washington), columbia, b&w, mgh

those are all the ones i applied to. what is up with this week? invites have seriously tapered off... kinda making me crazy

:cool:

Invites: UCLA-Harbor, UCLA-SFV, Cedar-Sinai, Scripps, UCI, BU, Brown, Georgetown, George Washington, Temple, Tulane, UNC, U. Miami, Northwestern

Rejections: UCSF, Penn, JHU, UCSD

Pending: UCLA, U Chicago, Tufts

here are mine,

Interviews: CCF, Columbia, U of Wash, OHSU, UCSF, Stanford, UCSD, Cedars, also scripps and santa clara which I am declining due to time constraints.

Waiting: UCLA, Brigham

Good luck all.
JB

For those of you who received interviews at places like Northwestern, Duke, UCLA, Baylor (Houston), and UT Southwestern (I just like these programs because I have visited three of these places and really liked the place-I do not care about their rank), I was wondering what your statistics are like - school rank, step I, class rank, AOA status? COuld you email me at [email protected]? Thanks a lot guys.

just heard from Mass General, Brigham and Women's along with Duke, Mount Sinai (NYC), Michigan, CCF, Tufts, Baylor, UT-southwestern, NYU, BU, UVA.

good luck to all:clap:

ktat72 to answer your question:

I am junior AOA, top 5 in my class, 85% USMLE I, 86% USMLE II, and go to school in Puerto RIco (the enchanted island)

hope this helps...

U of Washington

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got U of Washington today.

Still waiting for UCLA, Columbia, Cornell.

Hey everybody... long time reader, first time writer...

Just found this site last week and it's nice to have other people to vent to. Anyways, here is my list of interviews as well as dings (aka rejections):

Interviews at: Indiana, Wisconsin, Northwestern, UT Southwestern, Vanderbilt, UAB, Emory, Ohio State, Rush, St. Louis Univ.

Dinged from: UPenn, U of Chicago

Waiting to hear from: Michigan, WashU

Can you tell that I'm from the midwest and for some strange reason I can't seem to get out???

Got MGH and B&W over the last 2 days-very elated about that!

Georgetown sent out a rejection today. What a joke!

Hey Placenta:

I'll trade my Georgetown interview plus a future first round draft pick for your B&W. Seriously, sounds like it's Georgetown's loss. Congratulations on your invitations.

hi all. i am an amateur to this, will be applying in 3 years. could someone tell me why you are all applying to so many places? i thought internal medicine was not that competitive and acceptance is not that hard. what am i missing?

There are a lot of spots available in Internal Medicine, so matching SOMEWHERE is not hard. Most folks apply to many places when they're trying to assure themselves a spot in a particular goegraphic region, or when they're going for top programs. The top programs are very difficulty to get in any branch of medicine, be it plastics, internal med, or psych.

cool banana. but i see people here applying for northwestern, georgetown, ucla, blah blah. doesnt seem like a "particular region." i guess you guys are all aiming to hit a "big city" huh? my family is from northern california, so i'm wondering, how competitive are programs like St Marys, Pacific in San Francisco and the VA hospital in Stanford/Palo Alto area? Thank you for your input.

Originally posted by yaoming
cool banana. but i see people here applying for northwestern, georgetown, ucla, blah blah. doesnt seem like a "particular region." i guess you guys are all aiming to hit a "big city" huh? my family is from northern california, so i'm wondering, how competitive are programs like St Marys, Pacific in San Francisco and the VA hospital in Stanford/Palo Alto area? Thank you for your input.

I don't know how competitive St. Mary's or Cal Pacific are, but I just wanted to let you know that the Palo Alto VA is not it's own program -- it's part of the Stanford program. The Stanford IM residents split their time pretty evenly between Stanford Hospital and the PA VA. The Santa Clara Valley Medical Center, the county hospital in San Jose, has an excellent IM residency program, and I think it is moderately competitive. It's affiliated with Stanford, but it is a community hospital program (and an extremely busy medical center, I might add!)

wow, thank you so much for the info. sorry to deviate from the main theme of this thread, but where or what webpage can i find all the residency programs available in california or better yet northern california. i went to aamc and they dont list those san jose ones you are referring. thank you.

Check out FREIDA: http://www.ama-assn.org/ama/pub/category/2997.html

The Northern California IM programs include: Stanford, UCSF, UC Davis, UCSF-Fresno, Alameda County Medical Center in Oakland, Kaiser Oakland, Kaiser Santa Clara, San Francisco Kaiser, St. Mary's, Cal Pacific, and Santa Clara Valley Medical Center in San Jose.

wow, thank you very much AJM. took me awhile to look for them and i still couldnt find it, until now. : )

Just got an interview from UVA the other day. Still waiting on Yale and Beth Israel.

I'm very tired of interviewing though

Just got an interview from Vanderbilt today. Here's to sloppy seconds.
:p