Intimidated People

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I said that you shouldn't tell a little old lady that she shouldn't be proud of her nephew. That's different from being opposed to degree creep and self-congratulatory title changes. What are medical doctors going to call themselves when everyone and their grandmothers are calling themselves doctors and soon, physicians? Is it really that insulting for someone to call you a nurse or a podiatrist? None of you even know about the history of these degree names like "doctor of surgical chiropody". You probably don't know about pharmacy being a bachelors degree, or a masters now that it's all pharm.d. this and we did a residency too that. It's also funny that you guys are upset at me saying that D.O.s are different when that was the entire premise of the D.O. degree in the first place. We all know that it's all the same thing in practice, although it is a second chance into medicine just like the Caribbean. Learn your history kids

Now that you're making your point more clear I agree with most of it. Key word in the sentence about DOs is 'was' though. Today OMM is just a supplement to everything taught (at most DO schools), which is exactly the same as what MDs learn. Heck, we've even been told multiple times by our OM profs that it's not meant to be treatment so much as it is there to help alleviate symptoms and speed up recovery, like putting icy hot on sore muscles. Are there some patients who can benefit from OM as a treatment? Sure, but a DO is not going to treat 99.9% of patients with just OM, and that .1% probably don't need treatment beyond some rehab anyway...

I'd also say that DO school is only a second chance into med for some people. I know more people than I can count that could have definitely gone to MD school in the states (30+ MCAT with a 3.7+ GPA) who chose to go to DO school over MD for whatever reason. Usually because they know they don't want to specialize. I turned down an MD interview and withdrew my apps from several more when I was accepted to DO school because I knew I didn't want to go there. Call me stupid if you want, but there are plenty of us out there that aren't using DO school as a 'second chance' and chose to be where we are.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
I'd also say that DO school is only a second chance into med for some people. I know more people than I can count that could have definitely gone to MD school in the states (30+ MCAT with a 3.7+ GPA) who chose to go to DO school over MD for whatever reason. Usually because they know they don't want to specialize. I turned down an MD interview and withdrew my apps from several more when I was accepted to DO school because I knew I didn't want to go there. Call me stupid if you want, but there are plenty of us out there that aren't using DO school as a 'second chance' and chose to be where we are.

Back when I was applying to medical school it used to be MD>Caribbean> D.O.

Now with the DO MD merger, times are changing. It appears DO schools no longer have 23 MCAT averages and are starting to get more competitive than the better Caribbean schools too. I have never heard of anyone choosing a DO school over an MD school but many competitive applicants do choose DO school over burning another year reapplying to MD school.

In 5-10 years there wont be much stigma left against osteopaths.

Reactions: 1 user
Each year, I have a handful of students who have turned down an MD school for mine. Interestingly, it's a handful now. About 10 years ago, it was 1, maybe 2 per Class. But I do see a rising trend. We return you now to our regularly scheduled SDN thread.

I have never heard of anyone choosing a DO school over an MD school but many competitive applicants do choose DO school over burning another year reapplying to MD school.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Each year, I have a handful of students who have turned down an MD school for mine. Interestingly, it's a handful now. About 10 years ago, it was 1, maybe 2 per Class. But I do see a rising trend. We return you now to our regularly scheduled SDN thread.

I have never heard of anyone choosing a DO school over an MD school but many competitive applicants do choose DO school over burning another year reapplying to MD school.
We have a few people at my school who choose DPM over MD. I think one kid got like a 36 on his MCAT.

I don't understand what you said. By your school, I assume you mean a DO school? but then you say you haven't heard of anyone choosing a DO school over MD so that perplexed me.

anyway, the only way I can reasonably see someone turning down an MD school for a DO school is if the only MD schools they got into were uber expensive

Back when I was applying to medical school it used to be MD>Caribbean> D.O.

Assuming your status is correct, I would say that it would have been pretty foolish to choose the Caribbean route over a U.S. DO school when you were applying. Heck, the Caribbean was a distant third back when I was applying, and that was 15 years ago.

Reactions: 5 users
I don't understand what you said. By your school, I assume you mean a DO school? but then you say you haven't heard of anyone choosing a DO school over MD so that perplexed me.

anyway, the only way I can reasonably see someone turning down an MD school for a DO school is if the only MD schools they got into were uber expensive

The red is a quote, haha.

Reactions: 4 users
The red text was quoting another poster. Yes, my school is a DO school. Cost was not an issue for my kids choosing us over the other schools.

I turned my MD interview for non-financial reasons. I wasn't about to move across the country to a school located in a rural area where my fiance would have exactly 0% chance of getting a job in her field. The MD school also had a lower step 1 average, a comparable match list (maybe even weaker as they matched at several MD residencies I'd never heard of), and very little research in the field I'm interested in according to the admissions office. Yes, my DO school is also cheaper (about 60k in tuition), but I still would have chosen my current school even if they were the same price.

I agree, with the caveat that I think even 10 years ago there was a greater level of ignorance to the DO pathway.

It was still the better pathway, but a lot of pre-meds didn't even know what a DO was.

That part seems to be improving.

Very true. I had no idea what a DO school was when I applied 5 years ago until Oct. of my senior year. If I had known more about them I would probably be a M4 right now. Seeing how much more relevant the DO degree is now even compared to 5 years ago is very encouraging, and hopefully the merger will close the perceived gap even more. Who knows how that will actually turn out though...

Reactions: 1 users
I turned my MD interview for non-financial reasons. I wasn't about to move across the country to a school located in a rural area where my fiance would have exactly 0% chance of getting a job in her field. The MD school also had a lower step 1 average, a comparable match list (maybe even weaker as they matched at several MD residencies I'd never heard of), and very little research in the field I'm interested in according to the admissions office. Yes, my DO school is also cheaper (about 60k in tuition), but I still would have chosen my current school even if they were the same price.

Very true. I had no idea what a DO school was when I applied 5 years ago until Oct. of my senior year. If I had known more about them I would probably be a M4 right now. Seeing how much more relevant the DO degree is now even compared to 5 years ago is very encouraging, and hopefully the merger will close the perceived gap even more. Who knows how that will actually turn out though...

Why did you even apply?

A lot of reasons. It was a 'safety' school and I wasn't sure if I would really go DO over MD in the first place. I was also really interested in finding out more about the school, especially after I got the ii. After talking to admissions and some of the students it kind of turned me off from the school a bit. I was also a semi-non-trad who applied to around 35 schools and was just looking to get in at that point. So there were plenty of places I applied to that weren't particularly high on my list that I was willing to go to if I didn't get in anywhere else.

On the other hand, my interview at the DO school blew me away. I'd visited MD schools before just to see them, and the DO school felt a lot like the MD campuses I visited. The facilities were solid, it fit my needs as well as my fiancee's, and it had strong stats that had been trending up significantly. The thing that really got me though was that I didn't meet or even see a single student that looked unhappy. Everyone was also extremely open about what they didn't like about the school without trying to spin it. The DO school just felt like the kind of place that I should be at while the MD school became less impressive/ideal the more I found out about it.

Reactions: 2 users
Didn't know psai was a premed.

surprised gif.gif

He's not.

He/she sure does post like a med student.

Care to guess why?

However, if he wasn't chewing out pre-meds for being pre-meds, people would actually hear some of the good points he often does make.

I also believe that some people are confusing him with Jsenpai (who is a pre-med). They are distinct entities.

Reactions: 1 users