Intimidated People

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
:rolleyes:Probably! But 2 stdv is extremely high... I would agree that most of my classmates are 1 stdv above average. Then again, I am at a low tier school... Things might be different at the top 20.

Nah, I believe it...iirc, my IQ was calculated at ~135-140 (years ago)... Today, many, many of my classmates are quicker/smarter/on another level than me, IMO.

Wouldn't be surprised if the "med student average" was 2 SD above average.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I've been missing out on interesting foods my entire life..

I just warmed up to crawfish and I live in Louisiana.
What are your feels about beignets???

damn this thread is making me hungry

Reactions: 1 user
? There's a difference between raining on someone's parade by telling them that their relative isn't something to be proud of and telling someone that taking the same classes as some dos doesn't make them equivalent to mds

Yikes. Somebody is feeling a little insecure tonight.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
? There's a difference between raining on someone's parade by telling them that their relative isn't something to be proud of and telling someone that taking the same classes as some dos doesn't make them equivalent to mds

I've played soccer my whole life and the best foot/ankle treatment I ever got was from pods. The treatment I got from MDs and a DO I went to didn't even touch that of the 2 pods. Personally, I couldn't care less what kind of classes they took if they're producing better outcomes than physicians.

Reactions: 2 users
Equality doesn't mean that everyone is the same, it means that everyone has the same opportunities. A student from usc and a student from harvard can both get into stanford law but the guy at harvard is likely to be more successful because they had what it takes to get into harvard in the first place. Maybe harvard offers more amenities and opportunities to its students but the fact remains that it depends mostly the individual.

People get offended when you tell them that they don't match up, especially in this age of consolation prizes and wordgames but the fact is tht brands are brands for a reason. I don't expect my doctor to be as good at measuring eyesight as an optometrist or hearing like an audiologist; that doesn't make them equal or better. Just means that they do what they do. No one is the best at everything but that doesn't mean that some people aren't better than others

Honestly, some of you swim in some pretty crummy social circles if your acquaintances are intimidated simply by someone going to school to be a doctor, dentist, lawyer, (insert blank here).

Nah, I believe it...iirc, my IQ was calculated at ~135-140 (years ago)... Today, many, many of my classmates are quicker/smarter/on another level than me, IMO.

Wouldn't be surprised if the "med student average" was 2 SD above average.

It is funny that you say that, I would have said that the "med student average" was closer to 110. Ego wise maybe 135-140, but that med students are much more normal than they like to think they are.

Reactions: 6 users
Equality doesn't mean that everyone is the same, it means that everyone has the same opportunities. A student from usc and a student from harvard can both get into stanford law but the guy at harvard is likely to be more successful because they had what it takes to get into harvard in the first place. Maybe harvard offers more amenities and opportunities to its students but the fact remains that it depends mostly the individual.

People get offended when you tell them that they don't match up, especially in this age of consolation prizes and wordgames but the fact is tht brands are brands for a reason. I don't expect my doctor to be as good at measuring eyesight as an optometrist or hearing like an audiologist; that doesn't make them equal or better. Just means that they do what they do. No one is the best at everything but that doesn't mean that some people aren't better than others
I get you, I really do on this point. But if we are being technically honest here. Pod really should be in your discussion. If you are putting dent up there with med then pod should be in the discussion too. Nobody hears about audiology or optometry in the circles of things that are life challenges; but saying that pod isn't up there with these other doctorate level medical careers (dent and med) is essentially pointing out how ignorant you are.

Y'all are making me miss NOLA too much. Stahp.
I went to New Orleans on spring break once. They had the best food I've ever tasted. It's also such a cool city.

It is funny that you say that, I would have said that the "med student average" was closer to 110. Ego wise maybe 135-140, but that med students are much more normal than they like to think they are.
I think in an academic setting there would be a clear discrepancy between med students and average people in terms of intelligence. However, if your just having a normal conversation with the average medical student, you probably wouldn't notice a difference between them and the average Joe.

Members don't see this ad :)

Are you surrounded by a lot of young professionals in your private life? Because I grew up in a low income neighborhood but ever since high school, I've been surrounded by intelligent people. Many of my classmates were born with a silver spoon in their mouths and were friends with the children of lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. I started to take their intelligence for granted until a mentor in medical school pointed out to me that much of what we were talking about would be unintelligible to the general public. You may not have the greatest opinion of medical students but we are definitely among the more intelligent and hard working members of society and I don't think that two standard deviations is a stretch at all.

Reactions: 4 users
Medical students aren't necessarily the smartest, but they're the most hard-working, highest-achieving of all students, period. We can objectively say as much by looking at medical school admissions criteria.

It's not a stretch to say that, as a whole, they're intelligent. The smartest people I've ever interacted with aren't all in medicine, although some of them are (some of the docs I've worked with are ridiculous). You don't have to be that intelligent to do well in medical school - all it takes is hard work and the motivation and dedication to constantly study, day-in and day-out, even when you don't feel like it.

Don't know. Maybe it is heavily school-dependent as others say.

I can all but guarantee the the average guy/girl in my class has an IQ well above 110.
I have ~28 years of experience meeting/interacting with the "average citizen" in all sorts of academic/work/volunteer/problem-solving/party/casual settings to directly compare with what I see every day now...Like I said in my earlier post, the people around me are just on another level of all-around functioning.

Maybe it is somewhat school-dependent as suggested by the other poster.

That said, there is obviously room for plenty and plenty of other people outside medicine in the 135 range. I mean there are not [looking at percentiles] 163 Million med students/physicians...plenty of physicists, writers, bartenders, fast food workers, taxi drivers, homeless, whatever in the company of 2 SD above average. 163 million is a lot of people. It is just a matter of higher concentration within our field.

Last edited:
I'm not sure how American students compare to those from the UK, but their students have an average of 125.

Dental school is of similar rigor but different. It's the only "doctorate" that I consider to be legitimate. We might study harder in medical school but we definitely aren't ready for practice when we finish school

Well you are at a do school

Yet, the only other people you consider to be "legitimate" doctors are dentists? I seriously don't get the mentality of some people on here. We get it bro, you worked super hard to get into med school and now that you are in, you get super upset when people claim to be a "doctor". As if somehow, a DPM or DO being a physician makes your degree less meaningful. You say people get offended when you tell them that they don't match up, but in reality, it seems that you are the one with the complex.

Yet, the only other people you consider to be "legitimate" doctors are dentists? I seriously don't get the mentality of some people on here. We get it bro, you worked super hard to get into med school and now that you are in, you get super upset when people claim to be a "doctor". As if somehow, a DPM or DO being a physician makes your degree less meaningful. You say people get offended when you tell them that they don't match up, but in reality, it seems that you are the one with the complex.

sure thing my pre-do friend

Ah, yes, avoid being called out.

Peace brah.

Just ignore him. He's a pre-med and he's referring to med students as "we".

Given that and some of the previous posts in this thread he's killed his credibility on this topic imo. Either that or they have terrible communication skills and aren't articulating his/her opinion well.

Last edited:
Just ignore him. He's a pre-med and he's referring to med students as "we".

Given that and some of the previous posts in this thread he's killed his credibility on this topic imo. Either that or they have terrible communication skills and isn't articulating his/her opinion well.

Didn't know psai was a premed. He/she sure does post like a med student.

Maybe the slow rise in step scores isn't hugely due to a slow rise in intelligence, but if the current "med student average" is around 110 what does that say about the "physician average"? Maybe med students now aren't smarter than med students 20 years ago, but we certainly aren't dumber. Serious question, not trying to make an underhanded insult.

Are you surrounded by a lot of young professionals in your private life? Because I grew up in a low income neighborhood but ever since high school, I've been surrounded by intelligent people. Many of my classmates were born with a silver spoon in their mouths and were friends with the children of lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc. I started to take their intelligence for granted until a mentor in medical school pointed out to me that much of what we were talking about would be unintelligible to the general public. You may not have the greatest opinion of medical students but we are definitely among the more intelligent and hard working members of society and I don't think that two standard deviations is a stretch at all.

Don't know. Maybe it is heavily school-dependent as others say.

I can all but guarantee the the average guy/girl in my class has an IQ well above 110.
I have ~28 years of experience meeting/interacting with the "average citizen" in all sorts of academic/work/volunteer/problem-solving/party/casual settings to directly compare with what I see every day now...Like I said in my earlier post, the people around me are just on another level of all-around functioning.

Maybe it is somewhat school-dependent as suggested by the other poster.

That said, there is obviously room for plenty and plenty of other people outside medicine in the 135 range. I mean there are not [looking at percentiles] 163 Million med students/physicians...plenty of physicists, writers, bartenders, fast food workers, taxi drivers, homeless, whatever in the company of 2 SD above average. 163 million is a lot of people. It is just a matter of higher concentration within our field.

Maybe the slow rise in step scores isn't hugely due to a slow rise in intelligence, but if the current "med student average" is around 110 what does that say about the "physician average"? Maybe med students now aren't smarter than med students 20 years ago, but we certainly aren't dumber. Serious question, not trying to make an underhanded insult.

Okay, let me preface this with, IQ is an idiotic measure of pretty much anything. Loose gauge of intelligence, fine, but trying to read into it anything is pretty damn stupid. My issue is with this concept that medical students are so different from the rest of the population.

Two standard deviations means that the average medical student is in the top 2% of the population in terms of intelligence. AVERAGE medical students. 135-140 is higher than 2 standard deviations. The vast majority of medical students that I have worked with or have been in school with are hard working. THAT is what is fundamentally different from the rest of the population. They have a drive and a willingness to study harder and more than the average person. In terms of raw intelligence, innate ability, etc, yes, we absolutely select for it, but people drastically overestimate it, example, this thread. I can't even think of that many people that I know with >135 IQs. Maybe it is 110, maybe it is 115, maybe it is 120, but is sure as hell isn't 135+. I spent more time at Wash U than any other school over the past decade with a fair amount of time at Harvard and Northwestern. I don't know why those schools would have a higher proportion of low IQ students than wherever you have guys have spent time.

Quick google search:
120: Hauser, Robert M. 2002. "Meritocracy, cognitive ability, and the sources of occupational success." http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/Images/OccsX.jpg

114: http://motls.blogspot.com/2006/03/iq-in-different-fields.html

For whatever IQ is worth, I have no doubts that medical students are smarter than your average person out there. It certainly makes sense. But, I'm sorry, this notion that as a group medical students and physicians are 2 standard deviations above average is just ludicrous.

Reactions: 3 users
I don't agree with the 135-140 or 2SD or anything close to that. I was just curious what you thought physicians were at if med students are at a tad above average (if 100-110 is average or whatever). I'll stand by what I said earlier about thinking most physicians are above average (so kind of by definition most med students are above average too). I would estimate the average physician is ~0.2SD above average, so ~60th percentile.

I don't agree with the 135-140 or 2SD or anything close to that. I was just curious what you thought physicians were at if med students are at a tad above average (if 100-110 is average or whatever). I'll stand by what I said earlier about thinking most physicians are above average (so kind of by definition most med students are above average too). I would estimate the average physician is ~0.2-0.5 SD above average, so the 60th-70th percentile.

I don't know why they would be any different. We haven't drastically changed how we select our medical students over the last several decades. We reward people that do well in class and on tests. In my experience that correlates mostly with people who work hard and weakly with intelligence. I certainly think that your average pre-med/medical student works harder academically than your average physician did when they went through. I think that test prep, and general proliferation of information via the internet and other sources plus that 'harder working' environment has contributed largely to the rise in scores over time.

Guys, all he's trying to say is that you shouldn't rain on someone's parade by telling them their degree isn't something to be proud of.

...Except if you're a DPM or DO. F*ck you then, lel

I said that you shouldn't tell a little old lady that she shouldn't be proud of her nephew. That's different from being opposed to degree creep and self-congratulatory title changes. What are medical doctors going to call themselves when everyone and their grandmothers are calling themselves doctors and soon, physicians? Is it really that insulting for someone to call you a nurse or a podiatrist? None of you even know about the history of these degree names like "doctor of surgical chiropody". You probably don't know about pharmacy being a bachelors degree, or a masters now that it's all pharm.d. this and we did a residency too that. It's also funny that you guys are upset at me saying that D.O.s are different when that was the entire premise of the D.O. degree in the first place. We all know that it's all the same thing in practice, although it is a second chance into medicine just like the Caribbean. Learn your history kids

Okay, let me preface this with, IQ is an idiotic measure of pretty much anything. Loose gauge of intelligence, fine, but trying to read into it anything is pretty damn stupid. My issue is with this concept that medical students are so different from the rest of the population.

Two standard deviations means that the average medical student is in the top 2% of the population in terms of intelligence. AVERAGE medical students. 135-140 is higher than 2 standard deviations. The vast majority of medical students that I have worked with or have been in school with are hard working. THAT is what is fundamentally different from the rest of the population. They have a drive and a willingness to study harder and more than the average person. In terms of raw intelligence, innate ability, etc, yes, we absolutely select for it, but people drastically overestimate it, example, this thread. I can't even think of that many people that I know with >135 IQs. Maybe it is 110, maybe it is 115, maybe it is 120, but is sure as hell isn't 135+. I spent more time at Wash U than any other school over the past decade with a fair amount of time at Harvard and Northwestern. I don't know why those schools would have a higher proportion of low IQ students than wherever you have guys have spent time.

Quick google search:
120: Hauser, Robert M. 2002. "Meritocracy, cognitive ability, and the sources of occupational success." http://www.iqcomparisonsite.com/Images/OccsX.jpg

114: http://motls.blogspot.com/2006/03/iq-in-different-fields.html

For whatever IQ is worth, I have no doubts that medical students are smarter than your average person out there. It certainly makes sense. But, I'm sorry, this notion that as a group medical students and physicians are 2 standard deviations above average is just ludicrous.

We will 100% agree that IQ is a loose gauge of intelligence.

To me it sounds like you just have a "new normal" (perhaps largely from your decade at WashU, Harvard, and Northwestern). Hell, ignoring the students/faculty/peers for a moment, those city locations aren't even representative of normal USA, imo. Isn't Boston consistently ranked top on USA's smartest cities? Just walking down the street and talking to random people you would still be at heavy risk of skewing.

Isn't your wife from like a top law school? Prob has friends from her law school? Do you have a lot of professional friends? Where did you do your undergrad education? SDN says you are a rocket scientist. What was your major? Who did you hang out with?

These all play roles in your baseline.

I think we just have different frames of reference.

Last edited:
I said that you shouldn't tell a little old lady that she shouldn't be proud of her nephew. That's different from being opposed to degree creep and self-congratulatory title changes. What are medical doctors going to call themselves when everyone and their grandmothers are calling themselves doctors and soon, physicians? Is it really that insulting for someone to call you a nurse or a podiatrist? None of you even know about the history of these degree names like "doctor of surgical chiropody". You probably don't know about pharmacy being a bachelors degree, or a masters now that it's all pharm.d. this and we did a residency too that. It's also funny that you guys are upset at me saying that D.O.s are different when that was the entire premise of the D.O. degree in the first place. We all know that it's all the same thing in practice, although it is a second chance into medicine just like the Caribbean. Learn your history kids

Lol just stop, your making this worse for yourself. Nobody here is arguing for degree creep or self-congratulatory title changes, although the fact that you are raging over it pretty much proves my initial point. Nobody is upset about the fact that you are saying DO's are different than MD's, that's why we have two degrees. But your consistent attempts to knock the profession down is kind of sad. I find it comical that you call dentists the only other "legitimate doctor", but then turn around and say not to rag on other degrees. The fact that you can rattle off some rando facts about the Pharm.D. is great. Yes, its a doctorate now, deal with it. Are you afraid that Dr. Pharmacist is going to take away your PGY-1 spot or something? Let me know when that happens.

But guess what, the DO can take away your PGY-1 spot, and that scares you. The main point here is that you want to feel special, everybody does, and as the competition increases and as the DO's numbers continue to grow, that special "I'm better than you" feeling goes away. By the way, it appears that you go to school in the Caribbean... or is your profile wrong?

To me it sounds like you just have a "new normal" (perhaps partly from your decade at WashU, Harvard and Northwestern). Hell, those city locations aren't even representative of normal USA, imo.

Isn't your wife from like a top law school? Prob has top law friends from her school? Do you have a lot of professional friends? Where did you do your undergrad? What was your major? Who did you hang out with?

I don't live in the Northeast anymore. Yes, who I was in class with and who my wife was in class with were likely different than your average population. The people I spend most of my time around for the last decade are non-MDs/JDs/Physics majors. The majority of my friends are rock climbers who come from every which way in terms of career direction. At the hospital, other MDs are the minority in terms of who I work with hour by hour.

I am not disputing that higher IQs aren't more prevalent in the well off, in cities or in professional fields. Yes, I grew up in the upper middle class, I went to big name schools, the average person around me for the majority of my life has been 'above average'. The issue is degree to which there is a difference. Maybe you have smart friends, maybe I have dumb friends, who knows. The raw number of 135+ IQ MDs that I know is very few (and I work in a major heart and vascular center), are they all universally 100+ yes. Maybe even all 110+, but averaging 2 standard deviations above the average? No, not even remotely close. That is a very big claim.

The reason why this matters to me is because I see time and time again with medical students this perspective that they are innately better than the people around them. That they are smarter, more intelligent and know more than others. And in many cases, that may be true. The problem is that a good portion of the time it isn't. In my experience, the differences between physicians and the rest of the population is vanishingly small. And to somehow have that be a chip on people's shoulder and change how they interact with the rest of the world is a problem.

I don't live in the Northeast anymore. Yes, who I was in class with and who my wife was in class with were likely different than your average population. The people I spend most of my time around for the last decade are non-MDs/JDs/Physics majors. The majority of my friends are rock climbers who come from every which way in terms of career direction. At the hospital, other MDs are the minority in terms of who I work with hour by hour.

I am not disputing that higher IQs aren't more prevalent in the well off, in cities or in professional fields. Yes, I grew up in the upper middle class, I went to big name schools, the average person around me for the majority of my life has been 'above average'. The issue is degree to which there is a difference. Maybe you have smart friends, maybe I have dumb friends, who knows. The raw number of 135+ IQ MDs that I know is very few (and I work in a major heart and vascular center), are they all universally 100+ yes. Maybe even all 110+, but averaging 2 standard deviations above the average? No, not even remotely close. That is a very big claim.

The reason why this matters to me is because I see time and time again with medical students this perspective that they are innately better than the people around them. That they are smarter, more intelligent and know more than others. And in many cases, that may be true. The problem is that a good portion of the time it isn't. In my experience, the differences between physicians and the rest of the population is vanishingly small. And to somehow have that be a chip on people's shoulder and change how they interact with the rest of the world is a problem.

Bold 1: It might just as well be that you and your friends are very smart (new baseline), and I'm the dumb one impressed by average (i.e. I am overestimating peers around me). ;) Who knows!

Bold 2: I do see that you are passionate about the topic. Well, at least passionate enough to engage in a little lighthearted debate. Which is definitely cool.

Bold 3: I 100% agree. If med students coming out are being arrogant towards peers/staff/patients/general population because they feel they are innately better/more intelligent then that isn't good at all. I can't speak for those people or my classmates (who I might certainly be overestimating), but in regards to myself I know I'm a know-nothing and am not afraid to share my ignorance with patients: "Oh, you take 45mg of XYZ per day. I'm not familiar with that medication. Can you tell me more about it?" or "I honestly have no idea. But, you know what? I will talk to someone that can get us our answer ASAP". Getting away from medicine, I'm sure the average person walking down the street in normalville, USA can read a lot faster than me.

I have no problems acknowledging my ignorance and shortcomings. :D

Last edited:
Lol just stop, your making this worse for yourself. Nobody here is arguing for degree creep or self-congratulatory title changes, although the fact that you are raging over it pretty much proves my initial point. Nobody is upset about the fact that you are saying DO's are different than MD's, that's why we have two degrees. But your consistent attempts to knock the profession down is kind of sad. I find it comical that you call dentists the only other "legitimate doctor", but then turn around and say not to rag on other degrees. The fact that you can rattle off some rando facts about the Pharm.D. is great. Yes, its a doctorate now, deal with it. Are you afraid that Dr. Pharmacist is going to take away your PGY-1 spot or something? Let me know when that happens.

But guess what, the DO can take away your PGY-1 spot, and that scares you. The main point here is that you want to feel special, everybody does, and as the competition increases and as the DO's numbers continue to grow, that special "I'm better than you" feeling goes away. By the way, it appears that you go to school in the Caribbean... or is your profile wrong?

lol what makes you think that I care about feeling special? I care about other people trying to feel special by impersonating doctors

Last edited:
I confused him with @PL198 recently. Don't know why.

that dude is a pre-med? he's pulled rank on me so many times with the whole " you're just a 2nd year," that I got annoyed and blocked him. so a pre-med has pulled rank on me countless times. interesting

brb pulling rank on mimelim

that dude is a pre-med? he's pulled rank on me so many times with the whole " you're just a 2nd year," that I got annoyed and blocked him. so a pre-med has pulled rank on me countless times. interesting

brb pulling rank on mimelim

I've met enough asshat pre-meds, medical students, residents, attendings and administrators to know that where you are on this road doesn't give you auto credibility. If I say stuff that doesn't make sense, I would hope that people would call me on it. Heck, there is a non-trad that I'm talking to over PM that knows a ****load more than me about nursing policy, to a lot of people he is "just a pre-med".

lol what makes you think that I care about feeling special? I care about other people trying to feel special by impersonating doctors
DOs are doctors. So are DPMs.

Just realized EMDO was removed! :cigar: I'll miss our debates. Just kidding I won't.

We will 100% agree that IQ is a loose gauge of intelligence.

To me it sounds like you just have a "new normal" (perhaps largely from your decade at WashU, Harvard, and Northwestern). Hell, ignoring the students/faculty/peers for a moment, those city locations aren't even representative of normal USA, imo. Isn't Boston consistently ranked top on USA's smartest cities? Just walking down the street and talking to random people you would still be at heavy risk of skewing.

Isn't your wife from like a top law school? Prob has friends from her law school? Do you have a lot of professional friends? Where did you do your undergrad education? SDN says you are a rocket scientist. What was your major? Who did you hang out with?

These all play roles in your baseline.

Explains a lot.