Intro - Doula to pre-med

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Doula-2-OB

Going in from the outside
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'll be starting my pre-med requirements this fall and looking forward to it! One of my former clients is a family practice doc and I just met with her today to get the 'real' story on school, residency, etc. She's pretty burned out (3 years out of residency and she's considering quitting!) but had good things to say and feels that I have a realistic view about how tough it will be. I'm taking the slow and easy track right now.

I'm getting started late, I'll be 30 this year and am married with two kids (and working on #3). I've been a doula for three years and wanted to be a midwife for a long time but just felt frustrated at the limited nature of homebirth midwifery. I have read a few comments here from people who weren't in love with the catching babies aspect and I say, more for me! :laugh:

The debt scares me, well, a lot of it scares me but I figure if at the end of my prereqs I say, "Forget it!", I'll have a four year degree which is more than I have right now. I think I'd reconsider midwifery if med school doesn't work out, but I'd go direct entry vs. certified nurse midwifery.

I went to Salary.com to look at the salaries for OB/GYN in my area and I was blown away... but I have no idea what the debt repayment will be like or malpractice insurance. I also would like to look into an oncology or maybe a high risk subspecialty but knowing very little about these things I'm mostly talking out of my rear. 😛
 
Good luck to you, Doula-2-OB. I was a postpartum / nursery nurse and considered midwifery at one time but ended up going in a somewhat different direction (I'm an FP doc now). One thing I realized was that I really wasn't cut out to sit around and wait patiently and I DO think that's an excellent skill to have for attending births! 😛

I wouldn't reject nurse-midwifery out of hand, though. Two of my children were born at home under the skillful direction of nurse-midwives and it's my impression that you can take the CNM education and do lots of different things with it. Meanwhile good for you for tackling your prereqs and I wish you all the best!