Introduce Yourself Here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome, kelseygap!! What research did you do in Hong Kong?? :thumbup::thumbup: to your interests - I have some identical ones!! :laugh:

Thanks kaydubs!
It was an internship at Ocean Park doing research on acoustics and echolocation in Pacific Bottlenose dolphins :D
Great to see other pre-vets with the same interests!

Members don't see this ad.

I sound really really snotty.. I need to turn my frown upside down.. I will post again when I'm in a much better mood. Sorry guys for my nastiness if you read this.

Last edited:
I'm an extreme (obvious) pessimist, a lot of people have done me wrong and things just never go right in my life.

-I was a cheerleader in high school.

A pessimistic cheerleader? I'm sorry, but that just cracks me up. ("Go team! We suck!") :rofl:

Members don't see this ad :)
**I'm an oldie, but I lurk much more than I post. I found this place shortly before the VMCAS was due when I applied to vet school, actually joined after I had sent in all my applications and realized how lucky I was to find this place, and have stayed to help others in the same way that other internet strangers helped me.

**I'm at the tail end of 23, and my birthday falls in the weekend right after finals for this block. My good friend Captain Morgan will be assisting me in taking full advantage of this.

**I was born and lived the first 22.5 years of my life in Florida. The first time I left the state was when I interviewed at Mizzou.

**I was once bitten by a brown recluse spider in Florida (hence the name), even though the natural distribution map you see in Mizzou's parasitology class tells you they don't live there. Tell that to the 6 year old, never quite healed wound in my leg!

**I have no idea where I want to live after I graduate, but I am starting to narrow down what kind of veterinary medicine I want to do, so I feel like I'm making progress LOL.

**Diet Coke is my oxygen.

**I will never own a car that isn't a Subaru.

**I never thought I would actually enjoy working during vet school, but I currently work 2 jobs and am captain of one of them, and I can't imagine JUST going to school now. I think I would be incredibly bored LOL.

**I can't have nice things because I have two cats instead. One is all black (my basement cat) and one is all white except for one spot of gray on his head (my ceiling cat), and watching them duel is only hilarious until they tear down my blinds and knock over my Diet Coke onto my cream-colored carpet... again.

**I love True Blood and the books upon which the show is based. I'm currently stuck on the fifth book in the series, not because I wouldn't have time to read a little every night, but because I hate not being able to read it all in one go. As far as other shows go, I also love Dexter and Weeds.

**I wish that snow wasn't so pretty because I actually hate it now that I have had to shovel my own 4-car-length-long, on-a-hill driveway. Let it be noted that I have the upper body strength of a kitten.

**I have insomnia, but I don't often suffer from it and it has helped my vet school career immensely LOL.

**Aaaaand... I'm about to make some cheeseburgers. :)

**I never thought I would actually enjoy working during vet school, but I currently work 2 jobs and am captain of one of them, and I can't imagine JUST going to school now. I think I would be incredibly bored LOL.

I was curious about being able to hold a job during vet school. I have this workaholic disease :p which I believe I've acquired from my mom who has always held two jobs forever. I currently work about 50 hours a week and go to school full time for my undergrad. I think if I didn't have a job I would be terribly bored as well.

You've givin me some hope that I can live in both worlds, work and vet school. :D

A pessimistic cheerleader? I'm sorry, but that just cracks me up. ("Go team! We suck!") :rofl:

About life.. not cheerleading, it was more gymnastic type stuff I was into, I was also a lot happier back then.

I didn't want to get lost in the suffle so i introduced myself in a new thread

I think the nose piercing has to go. It makes me very sad, but it keeps flaring up here and there and I'm honestly not sure how to hide it well anyway. It stinks that I'll only have had it for about four months... but I don't want to have a weird nose thing going on for an interview, and I know that I can't just take it out - I accidentally pilled it out while drying my face, and it was VERY DIFFICULT to get back in after just 5 minutes.

Nose piercings take 3-12 months to heal, depending on the person. It's because cartilage doesn't have it's own blood supply. Personally, my ear cartilage piercings have taken ~ a year and a half until they finally stop flaring up.

And everytime you accidentally pull it out or knock it around, it's going to take even longer to heal.

Your piercing is healed when you have 4 weeks without any lymph or pain.

I have applied to colorado, illinois, and MIZZOU. I have already been rejected from colorado (they didnt even want to see a transcript) and illinois (which I dont understand why and they could not explain it, I have a suspicion it was my GRE tho.)

When you say Illinois cannot explain why you weren't offered an interview, is that just from what they said in the letter, or have you spoken with them? Last year I was rejected from Illinois, and I had an application review with them, but I think I had to wait until May. Have you had an official review with someone, or did you just talk to someone in the admissions office? Because they were very thorough and helpful in my review, discussing my strengths and weaknesses and what to do before reapplying, and this year I did get an interview with them.
For colorado, they don't do the reviews on the phone, so you can e-mail someone right now and in 2-3 weeks you'll get back an e-mail going over every part of your application, so you can start working on those things now instead of waiting until the spring.

Nose piercings take 3-12 months to heal, depending on the person. It's because cartilage doesn't have it's own blood supply. Personally, my ear cartilage piercings have taken ~ a year and a half until they finally stop flaring up.

And everytime you accidentally pull it out or knock it around, it's going to take even longer to heal.

Your piercing is healed when you have 4 weeks without any lymph or pain.

I got an acrylic stud and I'm giving it a shot. My ears took a long time to heal so I'm hoping that the nose is just taking time as well, and not that I'm doing anything wrong.

Thanks for the help... and sorry for derailing the thread, haha.

As for colorado. They didn't even want to look at my transcript, which made me kinda mad.

If you makes you feel any better, that is just CSU's policy for everyone - to save staff time and hassle, they only ask for transcripts after admissions decisions are made. And then, obviously, only from admitted/waitlisted students. This actually makes a lot of sense to me - after all, we spend hours entering everything into VMCAS, the transcripts are only necessary to show we weren't lying (and they definitely say multiple places that they verify all your grades and will rescind your offer if there are inconsistencies). Saves staff time sorting/filing/chasing down missing documents, and saves students $ and hassle in requesting and mailing transcripts. Also, don't feel bad about not getting into CSU, it's OOS admit rate is ridiculously low (like a few percent?) it gets to be just a lottery at some point. If you look on the CSU c/o 2015 thread, Nyanko posted the feedback he got from from his file review at CSU last year; it looked quite helpful and positive.

Anyhow, welcome to SDN and :xf::xf:you get into Mizzou!!

Members don't see this ad :)
By the way, if you are going to assume someone's sex in a vet forum, try guessing female - your odds are much better. Nyanko is a she. And she can probably kick your *ss regardless. :laugh:

I still do the old fashioned 'he' until I know otherwise on gender to avoid incorrectly using 'they' as a singluar pronoun. Although, yes probability wise, you're totally right, guess 'she' on a vet forum :laugh:. And while I've also played quite a bit of ice hockey, I'm definitely not going to be challenging Nyanko to a fight anytime soon. ;)

I was curious about being able to hold a job during vet school. I have this workaholic disease :p which I believe I've acquired from my mom who has always held two jobs forever. I currently work about 50 hours a week and go to school full time for my undergrad. I think if I didn't have a job I would be terribly bored as well.

You've givin me some hope that I can live in both worlds, work and vet school. :D

It is definitely doable! I think they limit us to working 20 hours/week when classes are in session (and another limit at 40 hours/week during breaks if you work at the university like I do), but, as much as I love it, I wouldn't recommend working more than 10 hours/week... at least until you've gone through a few exams and seen how your grades are holding up. Many of my classmates also work 1 or more jobs on top of heading up clubs, captaining or vice-captaining jobs, etc., so it can be done. :)

It is definitely doable! I think they limit us to working 20 hours/week when classes are in session (and another limit at 40 hours/week during breaks if you work at the university like I do), but, as much as I love it, I wouldn't recommend working more than 10 hours/week... at least until you've gone through a few exams and seen how your grades are holding up. Many of my classmates also work 1 or more jobs on top of heading up clubs, captaining or vice-captaining jobs, etc., so it can be done. :)

Wow, talk about keeping busy! Keep up the good work:cool:

I like the idea of not posting stats here... they come up so frequently on other threads anyways, and it's nice to get to know everyone beyond their application!

I grew up outside of Philadelphia, went to school out of state, was an English major, and then came back to Philly to complete my science courses. English and math courses come much more naturally to me than science, and I have zero creativity (hence my sdn name - my dog's name + future career).
It only just occurred to me to add an avatar....the picture is of my lab Tucker and my roommate's dog Gryffin snuggling in Tuck's bed. Tucker is technically my parent's dog, but in reality is really mine, and I'm 95% sure he'll be joining me at vet school.
I have 3 older siblings, and 1 nephew who is the cutest 4 month old in the world. I LOVE to read, but I don't let myself to read for pleasure when I'm taking classes because I become totally lost in the book and forget everything else in life. I love cooking (barefoot contessa is my favorite). I watch NCIS, Glee and How I Met Your Mother. I enjoy horseback riding and skiing, but haven't done either in a long time.
I have no tattoos (I would never be confidant enough that something I would want today I would still like in 20 years, or even 20 weeks), and only two very minor, barely visible, not vet related scars. There has been no shortages of bruises and scratches, both from animals and general clumsiness (I sometimes wonder if it's such a good idea to ever give me a scalpel).

Hey Y'all! I am a new member to the site but have been following the treads since I submitted my application back in October. SDN has been so helpful and I really have appreciated reading about people going through the same stressful process. So a little about me...

I am senior and graduating this may
Hopefully will be attending Vet school in the fall
I have experience in large animal, small animal, and exotics
My exotic experience was in South Africa working for a local vet there
After all my experience, I love working with dairy cattle the best and think this is what I want to focus on in and out of vet school
I have had the same horse for over ten years, her name is Fancy, and she is completely blind in both eyes
I have a "seeing eye goat" for my horse named Rigby, he is pretty much my baby and loves to lay in my lap
My family is very important to me and I love spending time with them, they have been my biggest support during this stressful process
I have a very supportive boyfriend that I have been with for over 2 years
I play guitar in my spare time, which I don't get very often haha

Thats all I can think of right now. Thats pretty much me in a nut shell.

Thanks kaydubs!
It was an internship at Ocean Park doing research on acoustics and echolocation in Pacific Bottlenose dolphins :D
Great to see other pre-vets with the same interests!

Oh, my goodness. I am incredibly JEALOUS. Bottlenose dolphins have been my favorite animal since I was basically in the womb. I swam with the dolphins in Florida when I was young, and it was by far the most amazing feeling. That is incredibly awesome. How did you even become involved in such a project?

Bottlenose dolphins have been my favorite animal since I was basically in the womb. I swam with the dolphins in Florida when I was young, and it was by far the most amazing feeling.

Did you swim with dolphins while you were in the womb? Now that would have been really rocking! :laugh: (But, I'd think you'd have to sign a waiver to possibly endanger a pregnant woman? dunno..)
;)

Did you swim with dolphins while you were in the womb? Now that would have been really rocking! :laugh: (But, I'd think you'd have to sign a waiver to possibly endanger a pregnant woman? dunno..)
;)

haha no, I was eight or nine. We went on vacation, as a family, to Florida, and we stopped for one day to swim with them. But to study them... I can't even compare to how amazing that must have been!

I've been a member for a while (almost a year?), but I've yet to formally introduce myself, so here it goes :)
I'm a fourth year Zoology major with minors in wildlife and chemistry (on the five year plan). I'm considering applying next cycle, but I might wait a year and try to get more experience.

As for stats...
cum GPA-3.79
science GPA-3.6 (ish, haven't actually calculated it in a few semesters)
GRE- I'm workin' on it haha
vet experience- ~1200 hours-small animal kennel assistant in high school, small animals RAVS clinic, shadowing large animal vet, tick research, and Stellar's jay research
animal experience- haven't done the hours, but they include wildlife rehab, shelter volunteering, working student for horse trainer, and volunteering at a therapeutic horseback riding center

I've wanted to be a vet since I was a kid. During high school, however, I became disenchanted with the idea of school and almost didn't go to college. Ended up going to college (somewhat reluctantly) and started out as a wildlife major. After leaving the clinic I worked at in highschool and taking general bio, I realized how much I missed the clinic and how much I loved science. Went back to the clinic for the summer after my freshman year and decided vet med was indeed for me and I haven't turned back since :). Other interests include marine biology (I'm a tide pool-a-holic), psychology, sci-fi tv shows, reading, and hiking/camping.

Hi everyone! I'm new!

Discovered this site last week as part of my whirlwind about-turn decision to finally pursue my childhood dream of becoming a vet :) I'm currently working on a Master's of Microbiology, which is fun, but not what I ultimately want to do I decided.

So here I am, 25 and just starting to get my vet experience before applying this fall! Kind of crazy but I've always been stubborn and determined, I think I can make it happen this year if not next for sure, and I have the grades and GRE to make me competitive. I've got lots of animals experience, though, because I've always been crazy about animals. Dogs, cats, hamsters, parakeets, fish, a snake, toads, whatever, I've had it.

My pets now:
5 cats
2 horses - finally! After years of asking for a pony for christmas, I just got a job and bought one. And once you have one, what's a second, right?
1 beta fish

Every day I remind myself that as much as a I really want a corgi, I wouldn't have time and my apartment is no dogs. Someday, though...

Hi,

I am not new, but I haven't posted that much.
I am a Junior in Aurora, CO.
I am also one of the young people on this forum, 21 years old.
I have 1 dog and 4 cats, but I am a dog lover :p.
I am hopping to pursue a Veterinary career in a shelter setting in Europe.
I am a biology major and a chemistry minor who works for my schools chem department setting up labs.
I am obsessed with pugs.
My dream school is The University of Edinburgh :love:.
I love hiking, running, watching movies, reading, and playing World of Warcraft :oops:
I am also getting ready for an interview at my local shelter for a volunterring position in the clinic :soexcited:

Not my first post, but hopefully not my last! :}

I've been a lurker since I joined. I'm pretty shy and it takes me awhile before I feel comfortable posting on a new forum.

My name is Jessica and I'm part of the Texas A&M Fightin' Class of 2010! I graduated with a B.S. in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences (Vertebrate Zoology concentration) and am currently working and participating in a Directed Studies course here in College Station. I should have applied to Vet School twice already, but each time I was getting ready, I was faced with some pretty harsh situations: 1) Helping my family out when my grandmother became deathly ill and during her subsequent death, then 2) the divorce of my parents due to my father's infidelity. It nearly destroyed both my mother and me, and still hurts almost a year later. All of my financial security disappeared with my dad, as well. :(

So, I've changed gears and after much inner thought and prayer, I've decided to get a Master's in Wildlife Sciences or Epidemiology. Those are the fields I'm most interested in. I hope to be a wildlife vet (conservation!) or a veterinary epidemiologist (super interested in eliminating CWD and Nipah!). So, I don't know when I'll be in vet school. Hopefully C/O 2017 or 2018. (Lord, that seems a long ways away! :laugh:)

I'm glad I've found this forum! I hope it'll be a great source of support when the time comes for me to apply! :} Nice to meet y'all!

Edit: Guess I should list how much I love animals! I've always wanted to be a vet. ALWAYS. I've had pets since I could crawl and currently manage a small zoo: 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bearded dragon, 1 crested gecko, 8 snakes, 1 parrotlet, and 1 horse. :D

Last edited:
Not my first post, but hopefully not my last! :}

I've been a lurker since I joined. I'm pretty shy and it takes me awhile before I feel comfortable posting on a new forum.

My name is Jessica and I'm part of the Texas A&M Fightin' Class of 2010! I graduated with a B.S. in Wildlife & Fisheries Sciences (Vertebrate Zoology concentration) and am currently working and participating in a Directed Studies course here in College Station. I should have applied to Vet School twice already, but each time I was getting ready, I was faced with some pretty harsh situations: 1) Helping my family out when my grandmother became deathly ill and during her subsequent death, then 2) the divorce of my parents due to my father's infidelity. It nearly destroyed both my mother and me, and still hurts almost a year later. All of my financial security disappeared with my dad, as well. :(

So, I've changed gears and after much inner thought and prayer, I've decided to get a Master's in Wildlife Sciences or Epidemiology. Those are the fields I'm most interested in. I hope to be a wildlife vet (conservation!) or a veterinary epidemiologist (super interested in eliminating CWD and Nipah!). So, I don't know when I'll be in vet school. Hopefully C/O 2017 or 2018. (Lord, that seems a long ways away! :laugh:)

I'm glad I've found this forum! I hope it'll be a great source of support when the time comes for me to apply! :} Nice to meet y'all!

Edit: Guess I should list how much I love animals! I've always wanted to be a vet. ALWAYS. I've had pets since I could crawl and currently manage a small zoo: 1 dog, 1 cat, 1 bearded dragon, 1 crested gecko, 8 snakes, 1 parrotlet, and 1 horse. :D

!!!!!WELCOME!!!!!! jlindp

Sorry to hear about your past troubles:( Sounds like you currently have a great bunch of friends in your zoo..lol:D

AGGG!!! I'm back. My brand new computer crashed...again. So I have been without internet for almost a year! I have had to use ma mere's computer:eek:. I applied to Wyoming State University this year and got in with a scholarship. YAY! I Still haven't decided on an Undergraduate course yet. I'm leaning towards Food Science and Nutrition though. I would like to have a fall back career. Do addmissions boards frown upon non-animal related degrees? My newfoundland dog passed away.:cry: And so my mom bought me an australian cattle dog puppy named Nova. (cuz thats a great apartment dog) She is super cute though! I have been working with animals a lot. But mostly just saving my $$$ for school.

Well gee willickers! i don't know where i've been posting my intro! .... ahh..:D

ok, well, i like long walks on the beach on a hot summer day..

Kidding!!!...but i do like going to beaches on a hot summer day.
- I like to snowboard, atleast 'attempt' to snowboard.
- i live in southern cali. currently going to school at western, but not for the DVM program yet but maybe this year? :thumbup::xf:
- i have 3 dogs; 2 doxies and a maltese who has a mohawk, 4 guinea pigs, 2 turtles, 1 canary, and 2 fish. almost a petting zoo..just need that llama...
- i like to knit scarves because that is the only thing i know how to knit.
- i am 24 and i still like hello kitty
- i've been working in a SA clinic for over 5 years and volunteered at a wildlife center in the bay area.. oh yea!
- i'm originally from the bay area.. so (Nyanko is gonna hate me...)
-
Marleau_VAN_012009.jpg

im a sharks fan!!!

oh btw.. i LOVE these smileys!!! :soexcited:

I guess I haven't really done a real introduction so..

I found this website a while ago. I'm lucky because I will get to use it for my entire undergraduate.

* I'm most likely the youngest on here. I turn 19 on monday 2/14.

* I took a year off from school because I had no money. Instead of working full time like I wanted, I have been remodeling a house by myself.

* I can do just about any home repair, except plumbing.:laugh: Why? My mom dosn't like having to pay a repair man for somthing you can learn to do yourself. And by that she means her kids.

* My family is more disfunctional than the Skywalkers.

*I got into Wyoming State, and still haven't decided on Zoology or Human Nutrition as my Major.

* I have an australian cattle dog named Nova, she is absolutely crazy. You can never have the door/window closed when you are in the room with her or you are likely to be gassed to death.

* Computers hate me, they love to die on my when i least expect it.

*I am getting my nosed pierced on monday.

* I did very well in school, but am terrified of taking standardized tests.

* When I was in highschool I would have nightmares about being late for school. Now my nightmares are about breaking traffic laws.

* I had a pixie cut before posh spice made it cool.

Let's see, me.
It's kind of weird to be a posting member here, when I've referred to this forum all through the application process, but just never bothered to join. I can be a bit of a forum junkie so I didn't join so that I would spend time on the application, not the forum (lol). So we'll see how it goes.

I'm 21 years old, 22 in April.
I've accepted my offer to OSU CVM (IS) -- go Bucks!
I love to crochet.
I have a 4 month old Basset Hound puppy named Finnegan. He's a ginger. Nuff said (no offense meant to any red-heads out there!!). :D
I am capable of lining my eyes while driving without a mistake (ashamed to admit, but it has happened) but am incapable of making eyeshadow look anywhere near decent.
I have 4 tattoos and am planning a 5th.
I am absolutely terrified of heights (looking over a second floor stairwell or down from a tall stepladder gives me the creeps) but I love flying and am not frightened at all when I fly.
I've been a kennel aide for over 3 years, which basically means I make less than your average burger flipper and I scoop poop for a living :)
I love my family more than anything, even though sometimes I'm bad at showing it.

How did I know that would incite a response from nyan? :hungover:

I like the super excited guy on the right side of the picture, though.

my favourite is the guy holding the camera on the left hand side who is AT the game but too busy to actually watch it. :)

I find it to be a pretty even mix of people who do/don't work during school.

Most people here tend to pick jobs at the VTH/labs so they're flexible with your exam schedule. I work outside of school so it's less flexible, but I really enjoy getting away from the school environment.

At most I've worked 28hrs/wk. 8-10 at the least. I've worked all the way through school, though I had to take a break during our time consuming surgical rotation.

I wouldn't recommend 28 hrs/wk, but I survived it because I love my non-school job! Keeps me sane :)

Oh, and since this is the introduce yourself thread:

Hi. I'm a 3rd year vet student. I found this site years ago when VMCAS was giving me crap - I google searched VMCAS sucks. I'm an ISFP and it's totally accurate for me. I've had several years of experience in SA clinics and shelters - just like most people here. ;) I love rabbits. My backup plan for vet school was culinary school. I did my undergraduate degree in environmental science. It annoys me when people stereotype models as mindless anorexic people - I model. I have been to 4 sci-fi conventions and I can speak decent Klingon. I think all schnauzers hate me. And it's only 448 days until I'm done with school- whheeeeee!

Last edited:
Hmm... I don't think I've ever introduced myself...

I'm a junior animal science major, planning to apply for the first time this fall if I can get it all together in time. Originally I was going to apply next fall but I had a clever advisor derail those plans and make new ones that I agreed to :rolleyes::laugh: I fully don't expect to get in but going through the process will be very educational.

Uhh since I've only look at like, the first and last pages of this thread, I noticed people on the first page mentioned their GPA... mine is a 3.68.

I have... very few vet experience hours, a good amount of animal experience hours (yeah... that's something I need to start adding up...), I have a thoroughbred ex racehorse that is only mine because he was such a brat for other people when his owners tried to sell him that they ended up basically giving him to me :laugh: This is my first semester having him at school with me. My dog (lab/chow mix) had to stay home, unfortunately they don't allow doggies in the dorm, so she gets to live at home and pester my family.

Oh, and I have a job as my zoology prof's lab TA! Woohoo teaching zoology to freshmens and those who waited to take the class until after their freshman year :smuggrin: I have to admit I purposely gave them a hard quiz this week to kick their butts in gear, they have their first practical in two weeks! :laugh:

I like the super excited guy on the right side of the picture, though.

Dude, check out the eye of the person behind this guy. You can see only one eyeball on the upper right of the excited guy's head, but whoever that is has their eyes open sooooo wide!

Pfft, why would I care about the Sharks? They're no threat to get to the only place my beloved Penguins would play them in the playoffs ;)

Yay President's Cup. :smuggrin:

Haha... we'll see how this season turns out.. I have faith in them! You guys are pretty good though, I have to admit :nod:

-I'm glad you guys like the picture!

Last edited:
I have a thoroughbred ex racehorse that is only mine because he was such a brat for other people when his owners tried to sell him that they ended up basically giving him to me :laugh:

Haha, that's how I got my OTTB too! I loved that monster, and damn, he would jump the moon for me if I asked him to!

Haha, that's how I got my OTTB too! I loved that monster, and damn, he would jump the moon for me if I asked him to!

Me three! Mine got a bad reputation in the area because people tried to bully him around, and it broke his little brain. He's well and truly mine, now. Something about those TBs, once they're yours they are yours 110%. My old mare was like that, too, another OTTB. I love them! :D

I stumbled across this site while looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I am currently enrolled in community college starting my career over again. I am 29 and spent my days after high school in a military career as a jet engine mechanic. After some major life changes I found that I could no longer be a mechanic, so I started looking at other interest. For about 10 years I have breed, shown and trained American Pit Bull Terriers. While in high school I was a vet asst part time and even took part of the after school vet tech class. I never pursued it since college was so expensive. However, thanks to the military, my college is 100% paid for. Now I just need to stay motivated for the next 6 to 8 years... LOL So here I am. I look forward to learning about others and their journeys as I begin mine.:D

I stumbled across this site while looking for a light at the end of the tunnel. :)

I am currently enrolled in community college starting my career over again. I am 29 and spent my days after high school in a military career as a jet engine mechanic. After some major life changes I found that I could no longer be a mechanic, so I started looking at other interest. For about 10 years I have breed, shown and trained American Pit Bull Terriers. While in high school I was a vet asst part time and even took part of the after school vet tech class. I never pursued it since college was so expensive. However, thanks to the military, my college is 100% paid for. Now I just need to stay motivated for the next 6 to 8 years... LOL So here I am. I look forward to learning about others and their journeys as I begin mine.:D

Hi Alice. Welcome to Wonderland. There's always a light at the end of the rabbit hole....er....tunnel.

ETA; Yes I'm tired and my brain is thinking funny things instead of studying :laugh:

Hi Alice. Welcome to Wonderland. There's always a light at the end of the rabbit hole....er....tunnel.

ETA; Yes I'm tired and my brain is thinking funny things instead of studying :laugh:

Thank you for the hope :)

LOL I found white rabbit to be a fitting nickname after all the paths I found myself wondering down with a sense that I couldn't get there fast enough... LOL

And I should be writing my english essay right now but I am playing on the internet. :D

Hi!

I"m new as of yesterday, but I have lurked since last June. And I love this place.

As for me: I'm 20 years old, a semi-senior in college (1st semester senior BUT will have to go until May 2012 to actually graduate, if I don't get in this fall).

I applied to K-State and Mizzou, because Mizzou is my IS and K-State is my love. I was waitlisted at KSU and my interview for MU is the 7th.

I live on a goat ranch.

I love goats and sheeps and llamas and alpacas

Thus leading me to my chosen career-- small ruminant/camelid veterinarian.

My animal experience includes the various regular farm animals (plus alpacas and poultry of all types), showing/raising rabbits, and showing/training/raising Border Collies and Great Pyrenees. And I raise mice and rats. And I have a snake (not for the surplus rats and mice, thank you very much).

My vet experience includes a high-tech (read: high-cost) small animal clinic, a small ruminant/camelid vet, a horse vet, an avian/ small mammal vet, and our local food animal/small animal/horse/everything vet.

IF I get into vet school this fall, I will take with me:

Nike, my Border Collie
Gonzo, my BC/Dachsund cross
B-Bird, my blue crown conure
Tic, Tac, and Toe, my guinea pigs
My tank of micees
My fish tank
And Marquee, my calico devil cat.

Luckily, the fish, Tic, Tac, Toe, the Micees, and Marquee could take me or leave me, it's just a matter of kissing them in the morning, feeding them their veggies, snuggling at night (I don't snuggle fishies...), and cleaning their habitats on the weekends. B-Bird, Nike, and Gonzo require a lot more attention but that is okay, because I'm pretty sure I would die without my four-legged support group.

For stress relief, I create things by crocheting or knitting... I also LOVE to felt but that is a little messier and not just a drop-it-and-leave-it project. I've been involved in fiber arts since I got my first angora rabbit.

And that's basically me! Here's to hoping we all get in to our dream school at the right time for us! (That's my mantra anyway... "If not this year, then next. And if not next, then the next. I'll get in when I am SUPPOSED to get in..."

Last edited:
I've been wondering if I am considered a 'non-traditional' student considering my background and increasing age (although I am still 24, 25 in July). Now, after lurking around here since around October I figured I should introduce myself!

Well, here goes: 1986 model who graduated in May 2009 from a liberal arts school. I was the student body president of my undergraduate and ran the Student Senate as the chair for a year, served on curriculum committees and all that student government jazz.

While I was in school I started a non-profit equine rescue for OTTB. I have placed 157 horses to date and am still working towards breaking 200...

My entire life was spent growing up on a hunter/jumper boarding facility where my family still owns and runs it to-date (in New Jersey).

Currently, I am a high school science teacher. Word up. I work at an urban school (one of the lowest performing in Philadelphia) under the liege of Teach for America. This is my second year as a teacher and I love my high schoolers, even though it is a tough job.

With TFA, we are given the option of enrolling in an M.S.Ed at UPenn, which I did. My thesis is due in April! Will graduate in March.

Oh yes, and I bred two colts last year who are super cute. A Westphalian and Rheinlander. I will be putting them on the line this spring.

I applied this cycle and am waiting to hear from Purdue...:eek:

So, traditional? Non-traditional? My own special breed?

Being non-traditional isn't so bad, right? I turn 27 on Monday, and I'm just about to get my undergrad degree. How do you like TFA? They've been recruiting a lot at my school, and I actually have a couple friends who will be teaching with them next year.

I've been lurking since July, so I guess I'll finally introduce myself. I'm a sociology major/biochemistry minor. I have a cocker-poodle mix and 2 cats. I play soccer, rugby, and do pilates. I'm learning how to surf. I love good "bad" movies (i.e. Demolition Man and Daybreakers).

This is my first application cycle, and I only applied to my in-state school this time around. Waiting on pins and needles to hear back (3 more weeks, eek!). I'm interested in the public health aspect of veterinary medicine.

I love good "bad" movies (i.e. Demolition Man and Daybreakers).

But those are good movies! Good "bad" movies are pretty much my guilty pleasure.