Introduce Yourself Here...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Katie, what town are you from? I'm from Henrietta, just south of Rochester and live in roch now. My dad just moved to Plymouth, MI. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Katie, what town are you from? I'm from Henrietta, just south of Rochester and live in roch now. My dad just moved to Plymouth, MI. :)

Springville! Have you heard of it?! (it's kinda tiny) That' so neat! I've been to plymouth, close to where I went to high school (Saline). What a small world :) I definitely miss new york, especially the summers. I don't so much miss all that lake effect snow, though I do love to ski (absolutely horrible ski slopes in NC :()

Springville! Have you heard of it?! (it's kinda tiny) That' so neat! I've been to plymouth, close to where I went to high school (Saline). What a small world :) I definitely miss new york, especially the summers. I don't so much miss all that lake effect snow, though I do love to ski (absolutely horrible ski slopes in NC :()

I think I've heard of it! Never been though... This winter has been crazy mild! Ask Emi, it's nuts! 80 degrees last week in the middle of march!?!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I've heard of it! Never been though... This winter has been crazy mild! Ask Emi, it's nuts! 80 degrees last week in the middle of march!?!

Holy smokes that wonderful!!! What a treat. Normally that's still snow season right?! :D
Awwwwwww :biglove: Is she in your avatar?? Looks like a sweetheart :thumbup:

Yes!! She's a cutie, this is my fave pic of her because she looks like she's smiling:love:!

I apparently never did this as well, so might as well make it official, haha.

I'm a 22 year old female from PA (about 1.5 hr from Philly) and graduated in May 2011 with a B.S. in Biology and a chem minor. This was my 2nd year applying and had some expectations (which I shouldn't have) that didn't really pan out. However, I did get into Glasgow and am now currently trying to decide if it's the right move for me. My doubt makes me feel guilty and feel like I'm a horrible person, since I'm not jumping into it like I know others would. =/

Throughout college I worked as a lab assistant for my biology department and loved it. I got to know some professors very well and on a different level and got a lot more hands on lab experience than I would have just from my lectures. I also interned at The Maryland Zoo during my senior year and got to spend a little over 4 months hanging with some penguins, turtles and snakes. I really miss the penguins. They were soooo cute with all their little personalities.

I also studied abroad in Newcastle upon Tyne, England for my entire junior year of college. It was by far my favorite year and changed me in so many ways. I talked about it a lot during my personal statement and various essays on my applications both years. For those of you that are younger, I definitely recommend going abroad, even if it's just one of those summer programs. It's a great experience and you get to see things you might not get to see later on down the road. For me, I was able to visit 11 different countries and had the pleasant (...not) experience of dealing with traveling during the Icelandic volcano eruption. Ended up being stuck in Florence for several extra days.

I've never done any direct research (helped out occasionally through my job in college) but I'm extremely interested in prions and would love to one day have the chance to work with someone trying to better understand them . My friend's mother actually died from sporadic CJD two summers ago, so it's a pretty personal interest.

In my free time, I enjoy reading, working out (mainly running and CrossFit), listening to music (always up for any recommendations!!) and doing your typical things like going to the movies, visiting friends, having board game/movie night with the family, etc. Another fun fact, my family owns a pizza shop. =)

And I realize I kind of wrote a novel...sorry!

I'm a 22 year old female from PA (about 1.5 hr from Philly) and graduated in May 2011 with a B.S. in Biology and a chem minor. This was my 2nd year applying and had some expectations (which I shouldn't have) that didn't really pan out. However, I did get into Glasgow and am now currently trying to decide if it's the right move for me. My doubt makes me feel guilty and feel like I'm a horrible person, since I'm not jumping into it like I know others would. =/

Throughout college I worked as a lab assistant for my biology department and loved it. I got to know some professors very well and on a different level and got a lot more hands on lab experience than I would have just from my lectures. I also interned at The Maryland Zoo during my senior year and got to spend a little over 4 months hanging with some penguins, turtles and snakes. I really miss the penguins. They were soooo cute with all their little personalities.

I also studied abroad in Newcastle upon Tyne, England for my entire junior year of college. It was by far my favorite year and changed me in so many ways. I talked about it a lot during my personal statement and various essays on my applications both years. For those of you that are younger, I definitely recommend going abroad, even if it's just one of those summer programs. It's a great experience and you get to see things you might not get to see later on down the road. For me, I was able to visit 11 different countries and had the pleasant (...not) experience of dealing with traveling during the Icelandic volcano eruption. Ended up being stuck in Florence for several extra days.

I've never done any direct research (helped out occasionally through my job in college) but I'm extremely interested in prions and would love to one day have the chance to work with someone trying to better understand them . My friend's mother actually died from sporadic CJD two summers ago, so it's a pretty personal interest.

In my free time, I enjoy reading, working out (mainly running and CrossFit), listening to music (always up for any recommendations!!) and doing your typical things like going to the movies, visiting friends, having board game/movie night with the family, etc. Another fun fact, my family owns a pizza shop. =)

Don't feel guilty! It is a huge decision.

Also, you are freaking me out with the similarities right now...

Don't feel guilty at all!! It's not the same as even moving across the country!! You take all the time you need (or they let you have lol) to decide!!

Ended up being stuck in Florence for several extra days.

I think you and I have talked about this before, but I was stuck in Ireland for an extra week bc of that volcano too! :cool:

Haha...well...I grew up down the street from your college (looked at your profile), and I myself went to school in PA. Also worked at the MD zoo for a summer. Penguins are my favourite animal like, ever. Studied abroad, got involved with labs....Glasgow. I sort of felt like I was reading about myself 3 years ago., minus the pizza shop.

Haha...well...I grew up down the street from your college (looked at your profile), and I myself went to school in PA. Also worked at the MD zoo for a summer. Penguins are my favourite animal like, ever. Studied abroad, got involved with labs....Glasgow. I sort of felt like I was reading about myself 3 years ago., minus the pizza shop.

Hahaha. I had been meaning to ask where you were from in relation to Loyola. Who knows, maybe I'll take the 1 step closer to making us twins by going to Glasgow and we can have those LOTR marathons. =)

hahaha. I had been meaning to ask where you were from in relation to loyola. Who knows, maybe i'll take the 1 step closer to making us twins by going to glasgow and we can have those lotr marathons. =)

:hungover:

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with someone else on here who said that stats really don't tell us too much about the person behind them.

I own a horse (see my picture!) and a crazy, awesome cat. I've been sure I wanted to be a veterinarian since being introduced to the horse world at the age of 10. I have been working at a mixed animal clinic for 9 years. I LOVE my job!

When I have free time, riding my horse is the first thing I do. I also like to hike, play at gardening (I kill all things green), and read.

I have been a long time watcher of this forum, thought I would finally join.
Hi!

Welcome! Why don't you say a few words about yourself? We all like to hear stories. :)

I have been a long time watcher of this forum, thought I would finally join.
Hi!

Sorry for going after you in the WW game!! We usually don't get any noobs posting first time in there, so I can see how you were confused.

Welcome!

Sorry for going after you in the WW game!! We usually don't get any noobs posting first time in there, so I can see how you were confused.

Welcome!

Darn TW, scarin people away with your tiny ferociousness! :smuggrin:

I know! I felt so bad lol.

But hey, it's my signature!! Gotta keep up the pretense!!

I was curious so I went and read the WW thread... way to jump on the troll assumption! :laugh: I admire your tenacity and enforcement of meaningless WW games ;):p

I was curious so I went and read the WW thread... way to jump on the troll assumption! :laugh: I admire your tenacity and enforcement of meaningless WW games ;):p

Well, I meant troll to the thread. Not to the forum hahaha!

But yes. I should get an equally meaningless award haha!

Not much to say about me. I am pursuing an undergraduate degree at Princeton, but I want to go to grad school and study animals in literature. I had a friend in vet school who says I could learn a lot by coming to this forum, so I have been watching on and off. Not really pre-health, but definitely interested in how animals are perceived and how that is changing. Learned a lot from some older threads about animal welfare vs animal rights which I did not realize. If those pop up again, I might have something to add. Generally just like hanging out with animal lovers.

And didn't you say your husband is in vet school? I like to have more partners here, because maybe I can get my bf to join then so he can learn more about everything and why I'm so busy all the time. haha

Well, I figured it was about time to step out and introduce myself officially. I have been a lurker for about 6 months now, but since I plan to apply for the first time this October, I thought I should say hello.

So far, I have learned a TON from this website, so a belated thank you to all those who contribute!

As for me, I posted once to the "What Are My Chances" thread, so my stats are floating around here somewhere.....

Here are a few tidbits: I am a Non-Trad. and currently in my senior year at UGA. I graduate in December if all goes well. Most of my experience is in research (the majority with pigs); I have about 1000 hours as of right now, but will be adding 20 hours a week for the duration of the summer. I am hoping to clear 500 vet hours by the end of the summer as well. I don't take the GRE until July, which is cutting it a little close for comfort, but it was the earliest I could do.

I hope to work in food animal medicine, though I have a lot of interest in research obviously. I hope to get into my IS, but I plan to expand out and apply to a few other schools (TBD).

Anyway, HELLO everyone!:)

Finally someone from UGA! Welcome! I always love to see people here that go to the same school as me! :biglove::biglove::biglove:

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the south in general is underrepresented on here.

Finally someone from UGA! Welcome! I always love to see people here that go to the same school as me! :biglove::biglove::biglove:

Yes! I have been stalking the very limited number of UGA folks on here for a few weeks now! ;)

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the south in general is underrepresented on here.

SERIOUSLY! even though I'm sorta a northerner, I am living in the south and feel like there is hardly any representation! Come on north carolinians!

I never introduced myself either....sorry for the breach of SDN etiquette.

I'm 32, married for 6 years to a man I have loved since I was 17. We have one dog, with whom we are OBSESSED. We don't want kids, just lots of animals.
I am going to VMRCVM in August, unless I get off the UGA SC contract waitlist (and yes the south is very underrepresented here, what's up southerners? Where is everyone?)

I got my undergrad in 2011, an A.B. in Biology-which is a Classics degree (I :love:Latin Lit). I transferred to a four year university after 2 years at a community college. I started community college at 26. I didn't graduate high school, I have my G.E.D.-long story. I started college thinking I would go to vet tech school, then realized I really wanted to get a bachelor's degree and crazily try to be a vet. I only had zoo/husbandry experience until last year when I started working in emergency vet medicine. I applied to 3 places, waitlisted to 2, waitlisted to interview at VMRCVM- then got an interview with 4 days notice. Interviewed and accepted :)

I am humbled and amazed that I got in on my first application cycle, especially after reading the bios/stats of so many of you who are so much more experienced/qualified than I am.

I really love SDN, am kind of obsessed with it since I found out about it from LSU-who by the way has the best/most applicant friendly application process and admission office. (That is not intended to be a suck up move, I already declined my waitlist spot there after accepting at VMRCVM). The info and support on SDN have been amazing and sanity saving, since I don't know any other pre-vet people going through this with me. So thanks so much y'all!!!

I just found SDN today and I'm so glad I did! Hopefully I'm doing this right, but here's my intro:
I'm currently a sophomore at a 4-year university, my GPA is around a 3.25. Its low which worries me but I'm working on bringing it up. I have 2 dogs aaaand I live with my parents. :laugh: I'm planning on applying in the summer of 2013, unless I decide to take another year...
As for experience, I worked for 1 year as a bather at a grooming salon, and other than that I've been volunteering 20 hrs/semester for a club and doing volunteer work at a therapeutic riding center once a week. After reading everyone's posts, I feel quite new and inexperienced!

It sounds like you need some veterinary experience!

I just found SDN today and I'm so glad I did! Hopefully I'm doing this right, but here's my intro:
I'm currently a sophomore at a 4-year university, my GPA is around a 3.25. Its low which worries me but I'm working on bringing it up. I have 2 dogs aaaand I live with my parents. :laugh: I'm planning on applying in the summer of 2013, unless I decide to take another year...
As for experience, I worked for 1 year as a bather at a grooming salon, and other than that I've been volunteering 20 hrs/semester for a club and doing volunteer work at a therapeutic riding center once a week. After reading everyone's posts, I feel quite new and inexperienced!

Everyone started somewhere. You'll get there, stick with it!

It sounds like you need some veterinary experience!
I definitely do... This summer I'm taking 3 classes but in the Fall and spring I plan on finding a veterinarian to let me shadow, though I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. Do veterinarians allow students to shadow them for an extended period of time?

I just went to different vet clinics and asked and emailed vets at the vet school that is in the town I live. Eventually somebody said yes.

How long you can stay depends on the vet. I've been with mine for about three months now, but already have plans with them over the summer, so there will be at least four more months and hopefully more next semester.

I definitely do... This summer I'm taking 3 classes but in the Fall and spring I plan on finding a veterinarian to let me shadow, though I'm not quite sure how to go about doing that. Do veterinarians allow students to shadow them for an extended period of time?

It kind of just depends on the veterinarian and the practice. Some will allow long term shadowing, which may potentially lead to job. I had a hard time finding veterinarians to let me shadow initially but eventually landed a vet intern position at my local humane society and they hired me about a month later. Just send out cover letters and resumes to a bunch of places and hopefully someone will be nice enough to take you on. I would also put emphasis on the shadowing bit. Some places are hesitant about taking people on if they mention things like volunteering due to liability issues. I think that was part of my problem with some of the letters I sent. Although, I did specify that by volunteering I meant cleaning cages, etc.

Hi there,

I just joined this forum, because I am feeling lost. I am hoping there are others out there that have been in my shoes who I can relate to.

I have been applying to vet schools in Canada for seven years and I have almost completed a second BSc. I had interviews last year at UCVM and WCVM, but this year UCVM told me that my core courses were too old to be considered.

Now, I am thinking I should write the GRE and apply out of the country, yet I do not even know where to start. I realize that the international fees can be astronomical, but I do not know what to do next.

Are there any Canadians out there in the same boat as me?

Welcome to the forum!

I know that there are a few Canadians here, but don't know the specifics about them applying to schools.

Why don't you post your stats? Then a few people could look over them and make suggestions. We ate usually very friendly on this part of the forum. :)

Hey again,

I did my first degree over six years, which hurt my application. Cumulative GPA 3.29

I am completing a second degree now. GPA 3.7?

7 of 10 of my pre-req courses for UCVM are older than 10 years (I'm 31), but I was given an interview last year, then denied one this year based on that ten year stale course. Which confuses me since I am enrolled in their faculty of science completely a second degree that requires those as a prerequisite in order to get into the course. 10 core courses GPA 3.54 best full year 3.66

I have had two interviews at WCVM, and I am not sure if I will get one this year.

I haven't taken the GRE, but I plan to in the fall.

I was in 4-H with sheep and swine for 9 years. I worked full time as an animal keeper in a zoo for 2.5 years. I currently volunteer at a rural small animal practice (approx 40 hours). I volunteer at an equestrian centre (approx 40 hours). I previously volunteered in a rural mixed practice (approx 200 hours). I currently work in a genetics lab for AI in dairy cattle.

If there are any recommendations on schools in the US, let me know!

Hello,

I am new to the forum, I have been here on and off, finally joined today.

I am 24, I was starting a career in animal behavior, moved overseas for a year, but my animals kept getting ill and dying, and I decided to go back to school to get my pre-reqs for vet school. My GPA originally was 3.56 but my new courses have been a c and mostly b's due to being spread thinner now being older with more responsibilities, although not such a good excuse I admit.

I am applying this year for vet schools, hard to settle on a few to apply, i am interested in like 8 schools, hoping to get some guidance

Hi guys!

I've been scanning over these forums for a little while now, but won't be applying until next fall. From what it looks like I've got a very stressful/exciting year ahead of me! Little bit about myself...hmm.. raised and went to undergrad in Massachusetts, but I moved to Philly after graduating last June to work as a research assistant in a two-year position. I've been planning on applying to vet school since I started college, so I've got a good amount of vet and animal experience so far, and this summer will be spent taking a couple more classes and getting some last minute vet work in. Fascinating, right? Anyways, I hope to get to know some of the other applicants for the 2012-13 cycle over the course of the next few months while we're all in the same charming boat of not sleeping, pulling our own hair out, stalking mailmen, etc.

while we're all in the same charming boat of not sleeping, pulling our own hair out, stalking mailmen, etc.

Sounds like you don't even need SDN... you've got it all figured out already :laugh:

Ah, it''s different intellectually knowing what is coming, and actually experiencing it! :cool:

Oh yes, it definitely is! Never thought it would be this hard waiting (and I know the hard part is yet to come still). I am very thankful to have people to freak out with. :D

(I wasn't mocking the poster in my first comment btw :confused:)

Not at all! And yes, I've got a bit of a sense of impending doom with actually experiencing all of this firsthand so soon. I guess I'll just have to embrace the glamorous lifestyle that accompanies the entire application process ;)

Greetings and salutations,

I'm an Angelino currently in the Pre-Vet program at my local junior college aiming for the c/o 2017 (Davis hopeful). I've received a BS in Zoology back in '08, decided to become a vet Fall '10, and began this new and amazing journey the following spring. After my undergrad years, I spent time trying to figure out career choices; first at HSWRI and then at LBAOP, finally coming to a realization vet-med is where it's at. I enjoy the great diversity vet-med has to offer, and so have not fully committed to a specific area...yet. I also happen to enjoy the great outdoors, craft beer, crafty music, and arts & crafts. Just kidding about that last one, although I have been known to seriously melt some faces with my guitar playing. :D

Barely scratching the surface of this forum, I hope to gradually participate more and get to know my fellow comrades in due time. Take care, and best of luck to all!

I'm 23 years old, graduated with a B.S. in Vet Sci in December. I applied to 6 schools this cycle - declined from 3, waitlisted at 1, and accepted to 2 (Ross and SGU). As of right now, I'm planning on starting at Ross in August, but there are still some reservations mainly because of my animals. I have 2 shih tzus and a horse that I am absolutely obsessed with, and I can't imagine being without them. The plan is for my dogs to stay with my SO and/or my mom, and I've been having an internal battle on what to do with my horse since I'm the only person I know that has any experience with horses. I've thought about waiting and applying next year, but to me, waiting an entire year is very unappealing and not really an option. And I feel guilty not going to Ross because it is a vet school, and AVMA sees it as a worthy vet school, therefore there should be no difference between going to Ross vs. a school in the U.S... Oh, other than the fact that it's on a tiny island in the middle of the Caribbean Sea. Ahh I've been having a difficult few days of decision-making with no real outcome.. if you can't tell...
:boom:

The End.

Last edited: