Introvert vs Extrovert vet students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Introvert or Extrovert?

• Introvert

Votes: 87 70.7%
  • Extrovert

Votes: 36 29.3%

• Total voters

lyndaelyzoo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
While reading the VMRCVM thread and learning about their new interviewing strategy which involves hypothetical scenarios, I was thinking about the differences between how introverts and extroverts may react. I was also interested to see how many pre-vets are introverts, so decided to create this poll.

Introvert
Extrovert

Members don't see this ad.

Want to delete my post hah

so there may be a relationship between vet students and introversion ....does that mean that there won't be many parties in vet school?

Members don't see this ad :)
so there may be a relationship between vet students and introversion ....does that mean that there won't be many parties in vet school?

I hope this isn't the case because I'd die...literally I'm too extroverted. lol

I'm for sure an introvert, but there are plenty of extroverts in vet school and you shouldn't have any shortages in parties or drinking buddies.

While reading the VMRCVM thread and learning about their new interviewing strategy which involves hypothetical scenarios, I was thinking about the differences between how introverts and extroverts may react. I was also interested to see how many pre-vets are introverts, so decided to create this poll.

Introvert
Extrovert

omg, THANK YOU for making this poll! i have been talkin about the MMI structure all day today because I am soooooo worried about this "acting" because whether or not they say you need to act i know it will be awkward for me. Now that i see the poll results I am feeling MUCH better! you're a life saver :D

I'm a natural introvert, but most people think I'm an extrovert because I can act the part pretty well. :D

We've definitely had threads about this before. I don't know if it's a tendency for vet students or just those who tend to be on the internet.

However I am an extrovert. :)

Introvert here, but becoming more and more of an extrovert everyday I think!

I'm like 52% introvert, 48% extrovert. I'm that person that loves to sit and watch large groups of people without interacting at all, but doesn't like to be at home alone.

I'm like 52% introvert, 48% extrovert. I'm that person that loves to sit and watch large groups of people without interacting at all, but doesn't like to be at home alone.

Me too! I wasn't quite sure which I would put so I had to ask my mom what she thought I was haha. I'm a little more introvert and the older I get, the more introverted I become

I don't know which to pick. I (mostly) like dealing with people at work, I would much prefer to be around close friends / fiance than by myself, but I hate being around large numbers of my peers in social situations. Is there an undecided option?

I like people and being social, but on my own terms. I was an only child for most of my life (then a surprise came!) and I've always been a loner since. Also, I like being 1 on 1 with my friends. I shy away from large groups and such.

Members don't see this ad :)
We've definitely had threads about this before. I don't know if it's a tendency for vet students or just those who tend to be on the internet.

However I am an extrovert. :)

I don't know about tendency, but one of the lists of careers for introverts that I got w/my myer-briggs results was veterinary profession. At least, I think it was introverts, but it may have been my overall type. I think mine is INFP, but that could be wrong. My strongest, far and away, was introvert.

And BlacKAT33, I did a bit of acting a long time ago and enjoyed it very much, and I like to think I was pretty good at it. I am completely terrified about this interview (now that my initial :soexcited:has worn off a bit). For one thing, for the acting I did--on stages, with good sized casts--it can be pretty easy to ignore the audience b/c of the lights and the other actors. Plus there are lines and blocking to memorise, and rehersals to practice.

I am tempted to find an intense improv class to get ready for this...

IMO an introvert does not have to be a loner. i have many friends but i prefer to be around my close friends and people i know. i dont prefer large crowds but if i am in one i tend to listen to others talk more than start things up myself. with a little boost in my drink ;) i become more social and less scared to start conversations

I don't know about tendency, but one of the lists of careers for introverts that I got w/my myer-briggs results was veterinary profession. At least, I think it was introverts, but it may have been my overall type. I think mine is INFP, but that could be wrong. My strongest, far and away, was introvert.

And BlacKAT33, I did a bit of acting a long time ago and enjoyed it very much, and I like to think I was pretty good at it. I am completely terrified about this interview (now that my initial :soexcited:has worn off a bit). For one thing, for the acting I did--on stages, with good sized casts--it can be pretty easy to ignore the audience b/c of the lights and the other actors. Plus there are lines and blocking to memorise, and rehersals to practice.

I am tempted to find an intense improv class to get ready for this...

ur so lucky. the only acting ive done is when i was forced to do it in middle school as part of our "art" for the yr we had to take acting, painting&drawing, and chorus. I still remember being taught how to practice different emotional faces. i sucked at it :(

an improv class sounds amazing lol if i only had time in between my work and volunteering...and the class was in the next 3 weeks :)

the good thing though is that there will be so many stations i think my heart beat will calm down after the 3rd one.

i look forward to seeing you there gilch!

I chose introvert because I do feel like I live inside my head most of the time (and also, I asked my husband which he thought I was) but I will admit that I'm fully capable of making an ass of myself. No alcohol needed. The crazy just has to come out sometimes. :D

I find it interesting that currently so many more people consider themselves introvert versus extrovert! We had to take the Myers-Briggs type indicator during our first few days of first year, and the overwhelming majority of my class was E rather than I, which the administrator said was quite normal for the veterinary profession. Me and my ISTJ profile were one of the few introverts in the class, although it wasn't until we reached third-year clinics that the introvert-vs-extrovert difference was very apparent otherwise.

Me and my ISTJ profile were one of the few introverts in the class, although it wasn't until we reached third-year clinics that the introvert-vs-extrovert difference was very apparent otherwise.

That's me! ISTJ that is. They say you're most compatible with someone who has opposite first letters, and similar letters for the other three, which is funny because my SO is ESTJ lol.

WOW!!! I was not expecting this amount of introvert representation among pre-vet and vet students. Could it be that we prefer to work with animals than people? It is good to see that us "loners" are not alone (although it is true that introverts do not have to be "loners"). :D

omg, THANK YOU for making this poll! i have been talkin about the MMI structure all day today because I am soooooo worried about this "acting" because whether or not they say you need to act i know it will be awkward for me. Now that i see the poll results I am feeling MUCH better! you're a life saver :D

BTW, BlacKAT, you inspired me to do this poll when you mentioned those interviews at VMRCVM.I never wanted an interview so bad in my entire life and am still waiting on that e-mail that may never come....:D

I'm an ENFJ, so far from being introverted it's not even funny. lol

I feel like a lot of people are perceived differently by others than they perceive themselves. I consider myself to be fairly shy and introverted, but only people who know me well actually realize this because I like talking to people and being around people. I don't like parties, though.

hahahahahahhaa

there are plenty at davis, and western too from what i hear :cool:

I also took the online test...not sure how accurate it is, but I'm an INTP.

I'm an INTJ apparently - had to retake the test, it's been forever since I did one! Which apparently makes me a rational mastermind. FUN.

I can't remember what my actual results for that test was, but I'm definately more extrovert than introvert.

ENFJ here :)

So I have heard conflicting information that veterinarians are usually ISTJ (according to this article Veterinary Economics; Montvale Jan 2005 46; 1 p. 64-70) or on here I have heard they are often INTJ. Either way I am missing the important middle pairing...but in general heard ST is a great pair for medical field.

ENFJ here :)

So I have heard conflicting information that veterinarians are usually ISTJ (according to this article Veterinary Economics; Montvale Jan 2005 46; 1 p. 64-70) or on here I have heard they are often INTJ. Either way I am missing the important middle pairing...but in general heard ST is a great pair for medical field.

Interesting. I am ISTJ, but when our class took the test during orientation, there was at least one person in all the classifications, and the class was almost 50/50 I/E

I suppose I'm an introvert. I took a look at the video that was metioned as an example of the VMR-CVM interview process. It didn't look so much like acting as it did of thinking and describing what you would do. Actually seemed easier than some of the standard interview questions because it gave more info. On the other hand, it will require more output. Sounds like one of my favorite things to do at work - the leaders reaction course.

I am also an ISTJ. I prefer being with a small group of friends having fun, than going to a big party or a bar.

Absolutely. Unless I've had a few ;).

Weird. I voted extrovert, since that's what I've ALWAYS tested as, but then I took the test again just after I'd voted and it came back INFJ! For what it's worth, my results say the I and J are "weakly" expressed, but the N and F are much stronger.

I will be very interested to see how the VMRCVM interviews in this new format go this year, since I'm applying there next cycle and since it's my IS I'll (hopefully :luck::xf:) get a chance to interview, and want to be prepared! Good luck everybody! :luck:

I'm an INTP.

A couple of my friends were talking about this the other day (I have really cool friends :D) and we remembered that it's supposed to be about what energizes you. So if spending time around other people in big groups energizes you, you're an extrovert. If spending time alone or in small groups energizes you, you're an introvert.

I am such an introvert and I used to work as a receptionist at a clinic and I would come home EXHAUSTED-- just dealing with hundreds of people every day drained me. One of the vets said being a vet meant dealing with people and obviously that's true and I was good at dealing with people.. but luckily she had a receptionist to filter out about 90% of the people who weren't there for appointments.

Yay for Myers Briggs! I'm an INTJ, though the N is only weakly expressed and I once tested as an S back in high school.
Has anyone done Myers Briggs testing within your clinic? We've been having some personality/communication conflicts of late and I've been pushing for doing the Myers Briggs as a group, but to no avail :(

Some company came and did a communication workshop for us. I think it might have been free through Novartis or Purina or something but I honestly can't remember.

We had to pick adjectives that described us and we were divided into four groups. I think it was a simplified Myers-Briggs. It was pretty helpful in dealing with the group that we were diametrically opposed to.

I'm also an INTJ (my J came back as 100%. Everything else was between 50 and 80%). Funny that there are a lot of us here since it's the rarest personality type!

We did a personality activity in a freshman orientation class at CSU. I was the only 'Green' person which was roughly the INTJ personality in a simplified test. They had never had a Green test result and told me I couldn't participate because you needed at least three people in your group for it to work. :laugh: Personality discrimination!

Yay for Myers Briggs! I'm an INTJ, though the N is only weakly expressed and I once tested as an S back in high school.
Has anyone done Myers Briggs testing within your clinic? We've been having some personality/communication conflicts of late and I've been pushing for doing the Myers Briggs as a group, but to no avail :(

You might suggest everybody take this fun one:

http://veterinaryteam.dvm360.com/fi...Article/detail/639693?contextCategoryId=46763

I'm an extravert at work, but I'm actually more of an introvert at home. I enjoy going to going to see movies by myself and really enjoy reading a good book, but I don't mind being social and going out either. I'm either an ENTJ or INTJ depending on my mood when I take it.

http://veterinaryteam.dvm360.com/fi...Article/detail/639693?contextCategoryId=46763

I'm an extravert at work, but I'm actually more of an introvert at home. I enjoy going to going to see movies by myself and really enjoy reading a good book, but I don't mind being social and going out either. I'm either an ENTJ or INTJ depending on my mood when I take it.

I'm a German Shepherd. Funnily enough, when I first started at the clinic (about 3 months in) we were all picking dog breeds for each other based on personality and I got pegged as the GSD then as well. COMPLETELY accurate.

I'm an extravert at work, but I'm actually more of an introvert at home. I enjoy going to going to see movies by myself and really enjoy reading a good book, but I don't mind being social and going out either.

That's pretty much exactly how I am. People at work are really surprised when I tell them that I don't go out terribly often. And I'm a Beagle by the way--the description is surprisingly accurate

I literally just took the Myers-Briggs for the third time over 3.5 years last week and just got the results back yesterday. each time, I have scored ENTJ. If anyone wants to really stalk me or pretend to get to know me, here are my score preferance breakdowns- E19 I2 Clear E, S13 N13 Slight N, T18 N6 Moderate T, J21 P1 J Very clear.

Also I have listened to three Myers-Briggs presentations over the past few years, and heard an especially good one yesterday. Just to let you know-the Myers-Briggs "Extravert" is distinct from the "Extrovert" everyone is thinking of. "Extravert" means you get your energy from other people, introvert in the Myers-Briggs sense means you draw energy from within yourself. The spelling change was intentional to make this characteristic distinct from being simply "outgoing." I actually know quite a bit about the Myers-Briggs at this point if anyone is interested in further explaination. I work in a group setting and my employer puts a lot of stock into Myers-Briggs for explaination of working together and learning move about ourselves.

I took that dog quiz-German Shepherd. If I were to assess myself, I would say Black Lab becuase I am loud, happy, love meeting new people, and excited to please, and love food.

I'm an introvert, but not as much of an introvert as most people think I am. I just don't drink or go to parties (I'm not a fan of loud noises unless I'm at a concert), which most people think means I don't like being around people. I do, I just prefer smaller gatherings and being fully sober and in complete control of myself when I make an idiot of myself :)

Just took that quiz, and I am a golden retriever

Co-workers count on you—maybe more than they should—because you never fail. Rarely taking a sick day and always covering for others, you work like a dog. You put others at ease because they know you will you get the job done—well. You enjoy learning new skill sets but aren’t one to rock the boat. That’s not to say you don’t encourage others to try new methods. Patient and sympathetic, you understand that others may not see the big picture like you do and are willing to go along for their test rides.

I'd say that's pretty accurate, especially on the counting on me more than they should part:oops:

Labrador Retriever
The peacemaker
You ’re always up for a new team project—you love to learn and interact with others—but you could do without the drama. You prefer a good heart-to-heart over any piece of gossip—no matter how juicy. And you have a strong sense of what’s right. For example, you’re not one to fake sick or enable a toxic employee. You possess endless patience and avoid judging others, which makes you the saving grace of the practice.

:thumbup::thumbup:

I'm definitely an introvert in that I much prefer to just sit at home being a couch potato over going out, and I really don't like the party setting at all. But in a professional setting, I am very extroverted.

We did a personality activity in a freshman orientation class at CSU. I was the only 'Green' person which was roughly the INTJ personality in a simplified test. They had never had a Green test result and told me I couldn't participate because you needed at least three people in your group for it to work. :laugh: Personality discrimination!

I think this is the "What Color is Your Brain?" activity. It's a fun one as well, which splits people into 4 basic colors: orange, blue, green, and yellow. I'm always yellow, which is immensely accurate for me personally. (This is similar to the "What is my learning style?" activities. The last one I did split into orange, blue, green, and gold. I was gold, and the description was pretty much the same as the other activity.)

As for the breed of dog, I am a German Shepherd. For anyone who's wondering, here's what it says:

You like your practice to run like clockwork, which sometimes puts you at odds with others. While your co-workers' more laid-back approaches may rub you the wrong way now and again, you can still appreciate their attributes and contributions to the clinic. Never one to complain—or take a sick day—you're dedicated to taking care of business. Certainly management material, you know the right balance of guidance and discipline to dish out.

I think it also describes me well.

Last edited:

I just took the quiz and got golden retriever which is very accurate.