Introvert

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Girfaroo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I was rejected from my state school a few weeks ago, taking me completely by surprise, as my stats were very competitive. I met with the dean yesterday and learned that the committee felt I was too introverted to be a successful doctor and that I didn't have a "spark in my eye" when I talked about myself. I didn't know that a) nerves and b) bad lighting (okay, probably not that) could affect how they saw me so much. True, I am an introvert, but that's never kept me from doing anything before; has anyone else experienced a med school completely write them off like that? It was really disheartening, especially since other schools have been interested in interviewing me, and I think they got much better impressions of me.

Members don't see this ad.

All I can really think is that if a school can get this impression of you in an hour or so of interviews, it must have been really obvious.

This is a blessing in disguise. They actually told you the real reason, something that you didn't consider before. Otherwise, you might have never known. Luckily, this is something you can easily change. If you have a chance to play the interview game again, practice in front of the mirror until you can see that your eyes light up and you vary your vocals when answering questions. Med schools just want to see that passion. Surely you've got it if you've come this far. I am generally reserved as well, but you can "kick it up a notch" when it's needed. Seriously, you can turn this around. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Tough break, sorry to hear that. And how surprising on the admission committee. Don't they know the best doctors are the one's who take the time to listen to a patient? I would advise you to be yourself in future interviews.

Tough break, sorry to hear that. And how surprising on the admission committee. Don't they know the best doctors are the one's who take the time to listen to a patient? I would advise you to be yourself in future interviews.
confidence is crucial in medicine. if you come off as not confident, your patients won't trust you and admissions committees won't accept you.

I interviewed at a school last year, after not getting in, I talked with the admissions counselor who told me that besides my lower than school's avg MCAT, my interviewers thought I did well however they didnt think I sold myself enough and lacked the confidence in myself that they wanted to see. She told me that she and the interviewers got the impression that I am the quiet type (and I am), but even so, I needed to show that I can come out of the comfort zone when needed.
After reapplying this year, and getting an interview, I went in with a much more confident attitude and did more to take the lead during my interviews so that it wasnt so much just they ask me a question and I have a response. In the end, I got put on the waitlist at the school...much better feeling than being rejected...but also used the same tactic at anothing interview and got in.

So, use what they told you as a learning experience, adapt and kick ass next time.

Could a LOR have talked about your introverted personality as well? A friend of mine is an interviewer for pharmacy residency at a large medical center. She told me how one student was turned down for an interview because her LOR talked about how she might have difficulty interacting with future patients due to her shy personality.

Gosh, I'd rather have a shy doctor than the many neurotic/psychotic doctors I see working around me, but ok.

So I was rejected from my state school a few weeks ago, taking me completely by surprise, as my stats were very competitive. I met with the dean yesterday and learned that the committee felt I was too introverted to be a successful doctor and that I didn't have a "spark in my eye" when I talked about myself. I didn't know that a) nerves and b) bad lighting (okay, probably not that) could affect how they saw me so much. True, I am an introvert, but that's never kept me from doing anything before; has anyone else experienced a med school completely write them off like that? It was really disheartening, especially since other schools have been interested in interviewing me, and I think they got much better impressions of me.

I hope you get an acceptance(s) by the end of the cycle. There is nothing wrong with being introvert, but as applicants we have to strive to become good interviewees.

I'm reserved, but also an extrovert, decisive and assertive. I took advantage of the mock interview resources at my school to learn how to respond well to interview questions to highlight my experience and strong points. I was told that I, the candidate, was basically selling yourself to the interview: pick me, I can do yada yada...

If you have other interview invite, try doing some mock interview sections to see how you are selling your candidacy.

There was a thread floating around here a while ago about Myers-Briggs personalities. Most people were INTJ. The big ol' Introvert.
As Law2Doc would say, "You did a very poor job of selling yourself."

i used to be one of those really obvious introverts as well. when i was younger i would rather have spent all day by myself and do math than talk to people. i had to consciously force myself to smile, or laugh, and manufacture expressions because i was so used to living inside of myself. so... i started observing people around me - how do they smile? their tone of voice? now, everywhere i go, people always balk when i tell them im an introvert and really quite shy ... when i speak in front of large or small groups, nobody can tell.

what im saying is you can cultivate charisma through careful observation and mimicry of others. how do really charismatic people manipulate the subtleties of expression to show themselves as a more powerful, courageous, confident, bold person? not what they say, how they say it. the way they look at people in the eye - the way they carry themselves - the attitude they have - the comments they make. these subtleties say much more about who you are internally than do the actual words you say. also think about inflection, voice level, the way you enunciate (really quiet people sometimes slush their words together, for instance), eye contact, facial expressions - the overall aura. i used to do speech and debate in high school and it helps me with these types of situations. when i talk to people (who i am trying to impress) - i click into gear - presentation mode - not of a formal stiff debate type, but a more casual, extraverted, charismatic, confident, caligirl style. its about style of talk, like i said, not what you say. think of speaking like presenting, in that you consciously assume a manner of talk, but only it takes place in a social dynamic interactive context and you make your style your own.

also, like people above me said, its all about confidence. when you talk, talk like you know it all, and you believe and KNOW you know what you know. like you KNOW you are the s**t, like you KNOW you are going to be the best doctor alive, like you KNOW school X must take you because... (im speaking to extremes, but more trying to highlight attitude - the aura, the impression you're trying to make). when you meet someone, meet them with the assumption that they are going to love you. speak with faith and strength. talk like you know already for a fact you are going to impress them, that you have something great to bring to the table, and show them that you believe that through the way you carry yourself and speak boldly. you dont have to think too hard about it but if you start really observing people around you that might be a good place to start.

Could a LOR have talked about your introverted personality as well? A friend of mine is an interviewer for pharmacy residency at a large medical center. She told me how one student was turned down for an interview because her LOR talked about how she might have difficulty interacting with future patients due to her shy personality.

Geez. That's not losing an acceptance because of being more of an introvert than extrovert; that's losing an acceptance because someone wrote a letter of "recommendation" in which the writer dinged the girl instead of heaped on the usual praises. If you can't fully back someone's candidacy for something, don't write the letter.

what im saying is you can cultivate charisma through careful observation and mimicry of others. how do really charismatic people manipulate the subtleties of expression to show themselves as a more powerful, courageous, confident, bold person? not what they say, how they say it. the way they look at people in the eye - the way they carry themselves - the attitude they have - the comments they make. these subtleties say much more about who you are internally than do the actual words you say. also think about inflection, voice level, the way you enunciate (really quiet people sometimes slush their words together, for instance), eye contact, facial expressions - the overall aura. i used to do speech and debate in high school and it helps me with these types of situations. when i talk to people (who i am trying to impress) - i click into gear - presentation mode - not of a formal stiff debate type, but a more casual, extraverted, charismatic, confident, caligirl style. its about style of talk, like i said, not what you say. think of speaking like presenting, in that you consciously assume a manner of talk, but only it takes place in a social dynamic interactive context and you make your style your own.

Thanks for this great info! Yes, remember to show passion and spark!

Members don't see this ad :)
A big part of the interview is to look for mental illness...I agree it's good to be confident in an interview but I still say honesty is the best policy if one's a good person, introverted or not. And show how your personality gives you your strengths. being a good listener, being observant, having empathy, etc.

The confidence will come.

I empathize with your situation and feel bad that your introverted personality prevented you from gaining an acceptance. Congrats on the WashU interview btw, you really gave me hope as far as my stats are concerned atm. I wouldn't know what to do other than to be more confident the next cycle. Why don't you find a job that offers patient/customer interaction in the meantime? Like an ER scribe or something of the sort? Being a physician requires, among other attributes, a very comforting and extroverted personality, so this is something that you should work on.

A big part of the interview is to look for mental illness...I agree it's good to be confident in an interview but I still say honesty is the best policy if one's a good person, introverted or not. And show how your personality gives you your strengths. being a good listener, being observant, having empathy, etc.

The confidence will come.

Introvertedness is a mental illness? Uh oh...

You know whats a illness? Saying introvert when you could just say shy:D.
But yah, I think a shy doctor could be just as fine as a crazy knuclehead. I mean the knuclehead will be more fun. Well regardless during my interview i'll have to keep my insanity to a low. :laugh:.

It is most certainly not, but paranoid schizophrenia is. I do not believe a physician requires an extroverted personality. Rather, a great doctor requires an ability to understand your patient, an ability to communicate reciprocally, and an understanding of medicine. (Liking to talk a lot about one's self is not a requirement, although an ability to communicate effectively is)

Last edited:
Thanks, everyone. It's just really frustrating because I'm not into any school yet, and I thought my state school was my best shot. And it's extra frustrating because my being introverted (their word, not mine) seems to be the only reason why they didn't accept me.

Thanks, everyone. It's just really frustrating because I'm not into any school yet, and I thought my state school was my best shot. And it's extra frustrating because my being introverted (their word, not mine) seems to be the only reason why they didn't accept me.

Trust me I feel your pain. In my post interview feedback one interviewer used the words "not enthusiastic," "more reserved than other applicants," and my favorite, "I'm not sure he has any idea what an MD does" (Keep in mind I've worked for a PCP for 3 years, but that interviewer is a whole different story...).

That one interview, which was the first of the day so I was extra nervous, pretty much kept me out of my state school. All my stats and EC's are fine, I was just too reserved and not enthusiastic enough.

You know whats a illness? Saying introvert when you could just say shy:D.
But yah, I think a shy doctor could be just as fine as a crazy knuclehead. I mean the knuclehead will be more fun. Well regardless during my interview i'll have to keep my insanity to a low. :laugh:.

Introvert is not necessarily shy. Introverts can refer to people who prefer spending time alone, like reading books, you know have some personal tiem and space. They may not be awkward or nervous around people at all, and be very gregarious is social settings.

Though being introverted usually correlates with shy, being very withdrawn.

This must be a huge blow. All my sympathy goes to you. I'm interviewed at only 1 of my state schools too, so I'm counting on that.

Are you sure your BCPM GPA doesn't contribute to your downfall too? But your spectacular MCAT should really compensate for that. Well, you speak hope to those of us who is hoping to pull off a great MCAT to pull us through despite a low/mediocre GPA.

You're waitlisted at several schools, best of luck!

I think American culture tends to value extroverts to the point that sometimes Introverts feel like they are flawed in some way. Keep in mind though that there are many other cultures where a humble, quiet personality is valued more (Japanese and Indian cultures seem to place more value on this in my experience). I also feel that quite often introverts are actually better communicators because they are more willing to let others express themselves and listen to what they have to say. On the other hand, those who prefer to talk more may not not really pay attention to what the other person is saying because they're focused on what they're going to say next instead.

Many of the people on med school admission committees are older folks who have old-fashioned ideas about what physicians are supposed to be like. In some people's minds, the ideal doctor is an alpha male, aggressive sort of personality even though there are many fields of medicine where being able to listen to patients is a lot more important than being the sort of person who loves the sound of their own voice.

I'll never forget this one guy I met on a residency interview. The guy certainly was no introvert...in fact, he kept INTERRUPTING everyone else (including the people involved with the program interviewing us). And guess what field we were interviewing for: Psychiatry. Who would want a psychiatrist who keeps interrupting you? Even if you have to put on a dog and pony show for interviews, don't forget that there is nothing wrong with being someone who actually prefers to listen more than they speak.

'You don't know me I am an introvert and excavator.'

Sorry. Had to quote Santigold. Sorry about your rejection... but it's great they flat out told you the issue. I guess all you can do is try to portray a more social/personable attitude during interviews as it is a skill you must develop in this career anyways. Best of luck!

Last edited:
As a physician you provide services directly to patients (with a few rare exceptions and those generally involve significant interaction with technicians and other physicians). Even if your job is putting patients to sleep you will speak to them before the procedure and be expected to interact with other staff members. Medicine does not give one a lot of time to sit quietly with one's thoughts or to work alone with thoughts or objects. If you don't like interacting with people and don't feel comfortable doing so, you have to ask yourself what you expect medicine to be and how happy you expect to be while doing it. If it is not a good fit it does not mean that you are a bad person, just that this is not the best use of your talents.

I think American culture tends to value extroverts to the point that sometimes Introverts feel like they are flawed in some way. Keep in mind though that there are many other cultures where a humble, quiet personality is valued more (Japanese and Indian cultures seem to place more value on this in my experience). I also feel that quite often introverts are actually better communicators because they are more willing to let others express themselves and listen to what they have to say. On the other hand, those who prefer to talk more may not not really pay attention to what the other person is saying because they're focused on what they're going to say next instead.

I don't really think it's about being an introvert/extrovert. It's not like all extroverts are valued and all introverts aren't. Rather, it's about valuing the ability to communicate effectively with others, and people on extremes on both ends of the introversion/extroversion scale have issues with this.

I do think introverts can be good communicators, but they do have to prove it. I mean, how exactly is someone supposed to know if you're a good communicator if you don't ever say anything?

I don't really think it's about being an introvert/extrovert. It's not as if all extroverts are valued and all introverts aren't. Rather, it's about valuing the ability to communicate effectively with others, and people on extremes on both ends of the introversion/extroversion scale have issues with this.

I do think introverts can be good communicators, but they do have to prove it. I mean, how exactly is someone supposed to know if you're a good communicator if you don't ever say anything?

:thumbup:

Exactly.

You get one chance to make an impression with an adcom, and they have no idea whether you are "just quiet" or "not there."

On the flip side you really have to be careful to not come across like your selling something either. You don't want someone thinking you are "fake."

Interview skills are a skill that must be learned through lots of failure and practice. Just don't let one failure stop you now.

:luck:

I am also very shy/introverted. You need to keep reminding yourself to present yourself in an outgoing manner. YOU CAN DO IT!

Introvert is not necessarily shy. Introverts can refer to people who prefer spending time alone, like reading books, you know have some personal tiem and space. They may not be awkward or nervous around people at all, and be very gregarious is social settings.

Though being introverted usually correlates with shy, being very withdrawn.

Thank you, Latuza. I was about to point out this distinction. I am a strong introvert, but I've learned to use that to help rather than hurt me. Introversion refers to how you're "recharged." Personally, If I'm drained, I'd rather curl up with a good book and block out the world for a little while. However, it's particularly important for introverts to take on leadership positions, speak in public forums, and communicate their passion.
The best advice I ever received: "Fake it 'til you make it."
Even if you feel incredibly nervous and reserved at interviews, put a smile on your face, speak confidently and with conviction, and let the interviewer see that you have what it takes to work with people everyday.

I'm sorry you were rejected from your #1 choice. However it is probably a good thing that you got to hear their feedback. You can be introverted but still be confident. Your interviewer probably just got a general sense of low confidence, which can be very obvious in an interview situation. I'm an introvert too and I used to be extremely shy, but over the years I developed my self confidence and now I understand, confidence is an entirely separate concept from introversion/extroversion. A confident introvert will seem to have a quiet strength about them.

Infect yourelf with Toxoplasma gondii. Problem solved. :thumbup:

I always wondered if the student tour guides ever had any input on admissions since they spend like half a day with you doing the tour and lunch ect. I rarely said a thing or socialized with the other interviewees during that time, but I would turn things on during the actual interview though.

I always wondered if the student tour guides ever had any input on admissions since they spend like half a day with you doing the tour and lunch ect. I rarely said a thing or socialized with the other interviewees during that time, but I would turn things on during the actual interview though.
I thought that too when I got rejected from JHU. Given there are many reasons for me to be rejected, but I wondered if it had anything to do with the bald joke I made about this important portrait of the founders in the library that my guide seemed very impressed with. oops :)

rising 4th year....very shy and reserved

at my med school interview, i "pretended" to be outgoing and enthusiastic and i got in to my 1st choice after a 15 min interview....that whole introverted doc cant be succesful crap is a bunch of BS, it really is...some of the best doctors are introverted...as long as you are committed to learning and to your patient's care you can be a great doctor...practice with your family ad nauseum interview questions and pretend to be super happy and enthusiatic and once you go to med school, be yourself...good luck

rising 4th year....very shy and reserved

at my med school interview, i "pretended" to be outgoing and enthusiastic and i got in to my 1st choice after a 15 min interview....that whole introverted doc cant be succesful crap is a bunch of BS, it really is...some of the best doctors are introverted...as long as you are committed to learning and to your patient's care you can be a great doctor...practice with your family ad nauseum interview questions and pretend to be super happy and enthusiatic and once you go to med school, be yourself...good luck
exactly. Put on the dog and pony show they want and you will get in (actually i guess that goes for most of being successful in life :laugh: ). The best interviewers are those with the greatest ability to fake it honestly lol. To the OP im fairly introverted too but i knew that would be a death sentance at these interviews. So i just turned it on at the interview giving them the outgoing personality they wanted and churning out the right answers. People say there arent always right answers at an interview and to be yourself, but i beg to differ depending on the situation such as in the OPs. You want to be yourself, and i was at my interview, but you just have to know some things are fatal flaws. No one really wants a boring introvert at an interview its just how it is for all jobs.

As a physician you provide services directly to patients (with a few rare exceptions and those generally involve significant interaction with technicians and other physicians). Even if your job is putting patients to sleep you will speak to them before the procedure and be expected to interact with other staff members. Medicine does not give one a lot of time to sit quietly with one's thoughts or to work alone with thoughts or objects. If you don't like interacting with people and don't feel comfortable doing so, you have to ask yourself what you expect medicine to be and how happy you expect to be while doing it. If it is not a good fit it does not mean that you are a bad person, just that this is not the best use of your talents.

Most if not all jobs involves human interraction. seems as though you're suggesting quiet people take jobs as morticians :rolleyes:

i do agree that to be a good doc with the exception of say maybe pathology and radiology, you should be a good communicator...but you can be shy and introverted and still be a skillful communicator with patients...they actually teach you how to communicate in med school if it doesnt come naturally to you and anyone can do it if they put their mind to it

i think compassion and dedication are much more important qualities than how extroverted one is....you may not be the life of the party but if you take the time to learn about your patient and can give them respect, theyll love you for it

however for interview purposes, go all out and put on a show but just remember that being shy doesnt give you a free pass to not care, not have compassion and not be able to communicate effectively with your patients

Last edited:
Most if not all jobs involves human interraction. seems as though you're suggesting quiet people take jobs as morticians :rolleyes:

I work with tons of analysts who stare at computer screens all day and rarely have conversations for more than 90 seconds per day.

There are many technical jobs that involve interacting with ideas or objects but not with people.

I just think that you can be a great health care provider and be a quiet shy person. My mother is very shy and has been a nurse [which requires more patient interaction than the doctors sometimes] for over 25 yrs. I don't like the find something else to do than be a doctor attitude. As long as you don't have social phobia GAD you'll be fine.

Lol... I can't help but see how people are piling on vastly different personality traits into this one pile titled introvertedness. From poor communication to shyness... It seems the majority of people in this thread are fairly ignorant about what it even means to be introverted (and the variety of different definitions). I'm introverted, but at the same time I feel I am an excellent communicator... especially in small groups and/or one on one. I may seem boring in larger groups, but once I'm in a small group or one on one I am definitely more talkative. Small talk bores me to death, and that's usually what larger groups consist of. Of course, at times small talk is necessary to build a relationship, so I use it when necessary. When I'm in a position where it's my job to take care of someone as a doctor I'm pretty damn sure my introvertedness won't keep me from doing what's necessary and communicating effectively. I distinctly see it as an advantage because the introverted type (at least for me) tend to be quite observant, understanding and more patient than most people.

Lol... I can't help but see how people are piling on vastly different personality traits into this one pile titled introvertedness. From poor communication to shyness... It seems the majority of people in this thread are fairly ignorant about what it even means to be introverted (and the variety of different definitions). I'm introverted, but at the same time I feel I am an excellent communicator... especially in small groups and/or one on one. I may seem boring in larger groups, but once I'm in a small group or one on one I am definitely more talkative. Small talk bores me to death, and that's usually what larger groups consist of. Of course, at times small talk is necessary to build a relationship, so I use it when necessary. When I'm in a position where it's my job to take care of someone as a doctor I'm pretty damn sure my introvertedness won't keep me from doing what's necessary and communicating effectively. I distinctly see it as an advantage because the introverted type (at least for me) tend to be quite observant, understanding and more patient than most people.

I actually agree with you for the most part, but I did find it funny that you sort of did the exact thing you accused others of doing :p

same here on the small talk thing, took a while to realize it was an important part of cementing new relationships.

All of this.

Unfortunately, many serial killers and lone gunmen have also been typed as introverts, so giving off that quiet introspective vibe doesn't always play well. :diebanana:

That makes no sense... Some people who are confident/outgoing are idiots. To pass up a more qualify but shyish person for a person who simply projects confidence more seems foolish to me.

Oh well. Gotta start practicing my loud in your face type personality for the interviews..

That makes no sense... Some people who are confident/outgoing are idiots. To pass up a more qualify but shyish person for a person who simply projects confidence more seems foolish to me.

Oh well. Gotta start practicing my loud in your face type personality for the interviews..
loud in your face =/=extrovert. they are not mutually inclusive.

All of this.

Unfortunately, many serial killers and lone gunmen have also been typed as introverts, so giving off that quiet introspective vibe doesn't always play well.

:thumbup: imo those who are introverted (and cool people generally) can occasionally appear a little ...off...if they aren't at least pretending to be extroverted during a situation like an interview.

OP, did your school offer any practice interviews?

In any type of interview (job or professional school), confidence is key. How are you going to convince others to believe in you when it seems like you don't believe in yourself?

I have a very introverted roommate and an introverted father, so I have learned to try to empathize and understand where introverts are coming from. (I have introverted, reflective moments myself.) However, as sweet as my roommate is, her introversion can come off as rude, abrupt, and withdrawn. Small talk is non existent and I can tell she hates it...it causes awkwardness between us, as we are very opposite. Anyway, I empathize with introversion, but I wish there wasn't that awkwardness.

I think something's being lost in translation.

"We found you to be too introverted" = We couldn't connect with you, we didn't get a sense of who YOU really are, we didn't learn anything new about you, we were bored...etc. Think awkward first date.

It's not a character assassination, it's a perception that directly reflects on how you may potentially interact with colleagues & co-workers, as well as clients, handle conflict, take criticism, etc. It's a valid concern in any professional organization. Loud, obnoxious, insincere will go over just as poorly. Between many equally competent candidates, why would choose someone who leaves them with concerns when there plenty who don't?

You're also making the interviewer's job tedious and laborious, which is generally a poor choice.

Last edited: