Hopes and Fears

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SuzyQMD

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am new to the whole forum thing and thought I would try to push through some of my own self-consciousness by posting a thread. Anyone else new out there? Just a question to get a conversation started: What is your number one hope as a premed and what is your number one fear? (other than getting in or not getting in ... cuz like I think we all can say that)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi SuzyQ, I'm pretty new too! Welcome to SDN. I think that my number one hope/end-game is to eventually end up as a psychiatrist or neurologist working to improve health disparities (LGBT health disparities are a particular interest of mine), and my number one fear (besides not getting in!) would be getting far into med school or residency and having to quit for some unforeseen reason. I've seen it happen to people and it's just unfortunate, there's not much you can do if a large illness or family situation intervenes and you can't complete your education. To get that far in and life blindsides you like that.... *shudders* I guess I'm not too focused on it though, it's pretty unlikely.

What about you? :)

Ah hi - thanks for responding. I had to stay up late to cram for a test the other day and I started to think about long duty hours of residency and well frankly I started to worry if I'll be able to handle staying up late and taking care of really sick patients, you know? I guess ultimately I am afraid of hurting someone I am caring for or hurting myself by choosing this grueling profession. I hope that I can grow out of my shell and be more comfortable with all different types of people. Reading what I wrote I guess I am doing a lot of time fantasizing about being the profession and there is a long way to go before I even get in :)