Introvert vs Extrovert Interviewing/Med students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Piglet2020

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
During interviews, I know that we should be engaging with medical school admins and students, but I was wondering how much you can really "fake it till you make it"? I'm an introvert (prefer listening to people rather than dominating the conversation). I don't have trouble conversing or meeting new people though.

I was wondering how much bias is there against introverts in med school. Not sure if I should be more talkative than usual during interview day or would that appear too extra?

I'm worried because I had an interview at an early assurance med school before, but didn't get in. I was sure my interview went really well, as I've practiced with multiple advisors. I'm asking because I recall being cheerful throughout the interview, while my friend who got in (same stats and activities) remained pretty stoic, barely smiling.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being an introvert. Most of the really fantastic doctors I've met have been introverted. But it can definitely make interviews more difficult. I think the key is being confident (which you should be regardless of whether you're an extrovert or introvert), rather than talkative. And in my experience people can usually tell when you're being fake, even when you feel like you're putting up a flawless facade.

Reactions: 5 users
There are cons of being to extroverted and introverted. No one likes the guy who talks up a storm about themselves uncontrollably. Neither does anyone enjoy talking to the person who seems awkward and shy. Just answer the questions thoughtfully, keep eye contact, smile every now and then, and act like you want to be there, not that you have to be there.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Also, if a group activity is part of the interview day, make sure to contribute as much as you can. They take note of EVERYTHING.

I shot myself in the foot once by waiting too long to share my thoughts and right before I was about to speak up, the discussion leader decided to move on to the next activity :bang:

Reactions: 1 users
Also, if a group activity is part of the interview day, make sure to contribute as much as you can. They take note of EVERYTHING.

I shot myself in the foot once by waiting too long to share my thoughts and right before I was about to speak up, the discussion leader decided to move on to the next activity :bang:

I have this issue as well. I'm also not one to answer many questions in a group setting because I don't want to dominate the discussion, which ultimately leads to me being perceived as quiet or non contributing.

During interviews, I know that we should be engaging with medical school admins and students, but I was wondering how much you can really "fake it till you make it"? I'm an introvert (prefer listening to people rather than dominating the conversation). I don't have trouble conversing or meeting new people though.

I was wondering how much bias is there against introverts in med school. Not sure if I should be more talkative than usual during interview day or would that appear too extra?

I'm worried because I had an interview at an early assurance med school before, but didn't get in. I was sure my interview went really well, as I've practiced with multiple advisors. I'm asking because I recall being cheerful throughout the interview, while my friend who got in (same stats and activities) remained pretty stoic, barely smiling.

Thanks.
Just be yourself, OK?

Reactions: 2 users
smile a lot, be approachable, don't contradict anyone, give the friendly vibe that you're open minded and you should be fine. People that talk too much are the ones who should worry

Thanks.
I would say there are many unknowns that impact the exchange during an interview, and I'm wondering if your stoic buddy presentation versus your cheerful one was actually the most significant difference during said interview. You just have to be who you are (authentic and real), otherwise it's extremely likely others will sense some degree of disingenuousness.

Reactions: 1 user
Great advice that many people seem to want to ignore.

Haha well to be fair, when you have low self-confidence and don't like yourself, it doesn't seem like great advice.
(Not saying this applies to OP, just in general).

Haha well to be fair, when you have low self-confidence and don't like yourself, it doesn't seem like great advice.
(Not saying this applies to OP, just in general).

That's not a problem with the advice. That's a problem with you (general you). If you hate yourself and have no confidence, you need to fix that, because it will show. And "faking it" isn't the way to go, because it'll be obvious.

Fake discussions at interview day are so silly /Sorry for being off topic

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

There is no inherent bias against introverts in med school or admissions. Just because you are an introvert doesn't mean you don't have the skills to interact and communicate effectively with other people in a professional setting. Interviewing and professional interaction is different than socializing, which is where you will see more of a difference between introverts and extroverts. If you are concerned about your interview skills, there are ways to practice and improve, but don't anticipate difficulty interviewing solely because you are an introvert. There are often other factors at play.

Reactions: 2 users
That's not a problem with the advice. That's a problem with you (general you). If you hate yourself and have no confidence, you need to fix that, because it will show. And "faking it" isn't the way to go, because it'll be obvious.

I mean I totally agree, just saying that I think that's a huge part of why a lot people don't like the advice to "be yourself".

Reactions: 1 user