Invaluable advice to incoming med student

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I really appreciated the following:

Physio: BRS and Big Costanzo (she wrote both)
Biochem: Lippincott's
Neuro: HY by Gallman (she just left our institution :()
Anatomy: Netter's and cards, Rohens atlas!

The rest of my courses, believe it or not, consisted of instructor material and books from the library.

I will probably buy a few more recommended books for M2 rather than just use the library to keep for Step 1 study.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah, most schools I know don't do path or pharm till second year, once there's a stronger foundation in normal physiology.

Anyway... only books I'd absolutely recommend in terms of understanding the material--these are not necessarily going to be good for your classes, as every school has a different way of teaching the material and depth of material. Generally most schools test directly from lecture notes either way (unless the class is PBL/TBL based), so make sure you keep up to date with those.

here goes:

Anatomy: Netter's Atlas
Biochemistry: Lippincott's (your mileage may vary here, but it ultimately ends up being good for the Step 1)
Physiology: Costanzo's Physiology, and the BRS Physiology which she also wrote. However note that neither of these is good enough for the NBME exam if you take it... but don't expect to do phenomenally on that anyway as it's a ridiculously difficult exam. Also helpful might be Schneider's Physiology book, which has been out of print but has questions of pretty intense difficulty. They will prepare you well though.
Neuroscience: For some good practice questions I'd get Pretest Neuroscience. I don't know of a good textbook to understand the material.
Behavioral Science: BRS Behavioral Science by Fadem. I wouldn't even bother with the textbook.

This has been an invaluable post. Being a not-trad with a family my biggest concern is making everything work. I thank all the people who posted and gave me some great info in balancing everything.

I don't want to seem lazy, but it would also be helpful if you posted links to the books you recommend. :)

12. A lot of people will say you "have" to study in groups when you get to med school. No, you don't. If your study style works better on your own, then go for it. For me what ended up happening in groups was that it turned into socializing more than studying, and you're not there for that. You're in medical school to become a doctor, and if you want to do well, you can't screw around too much. There is always time to destress, but when you study, study HARD.

this is good advice. i don't really understand why you would study in a group in med school. no matter what class we're talking about (at least first year) there is a ton of things you just need to sit down and memorize yourself. the people who love to study in groups are either those who want an excuse to slack off and socialize or those who have already studied hard on their own and just want to show off and the study session inevitably degenerates into some argument about some minute detail that doesn't matter (these people also usually have nothing going on outside of school so they're always up for group studying).

i'm not saying that group studying is worthless in med school but there really isn't anything you need to discuss or solve in the first two years it's just a bunch of stuff you need to know. studying with others might help you pick up some strategies for internalizing information but beyond that it can be a huge low-yield time sink.

this is good advice. i don't really understand why you would study in a group in med school. no matter what class we're talking about (at least first year) there is a ton of things you just need to sit down and memorize yourself. the people who love to study in groups are either those who want an excuse to slack off and socialize or those who have already studied hard on their own and just want to show off and the study session inevitably degenerates into some argument about some minute detail that doesn't matter (these people also usually have nothing going on outside of school so they're always up for group studying).

i'm not saying that group studying is worthless in med school but there really isn't anything you need to discuss or solve in the first two years it's just a bunch of stuff you need to know. studying with others might help you pick up some strategies for internalizing information but beyond that it can be a huge low-yield time sink.

I agree with this. But for some reason the school always encouraged group studying. What I found effective is to study alone but then message friends to clarify something if I got confused. But a lot of it is simply memorizing, not sure how others can help with that (aside from sharing their mnemonics).

Neuroscience: For some good practice questions I'd get Pretest Neuroscience. I don't know of a good textbook to understand the material..

Check out Blumenfeld's "Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases". It's a good one.

During orientation we were told.. don't buy any books. And I listened. And I REGRET it. My lowest grade was in the course I only used notes for. So my advice is, if you have always read books, then buy the books.

The books I found helpful are:
Anatomy: Rohen's and Netter's. I really like Rohen's better, but use both
Biochem: Lippincott's
Pharm: Lippincott's and find some flashcards you like. I used brenner's
Histo: Wheater's!
Phys: BRS and some of the lange review series
Path: Robbins. I actually like the medium the best because it seems to have the right amount of detail, especially when combined with class notes/ppts. And of course Rapid Review.
Micro: Micro Made Simple is a must have
First Aid
Some kind of question book... I have Red Robbins, First Aid Q&A and I use Webpath, Blue Histo.

Hope this helps those of you are book readers. It will make life so much better if you just do whatever works for you! best of :luck:

Well I know it works for some people--or at least the presence of others along with quiet studying helps people focus (like if you see others studying it helps you stay focused on studying etc), but yeah discussion in a group honestly doesn't help me until I've learned the material... then maybe once I've learned it and I can bounce ideas off others, check to make sure I'm not understanding something wrong. That's when a group is appropriate for me.

My problem wasn't so much socializing as it was when I went to these I always felt like I didn't know as much as everyone else, when usually it just tended to be the fact that others studied minute facts and presented it as "knowledge"... without necessarily understanding the big picture in the first place.

If the OP is still reading, the best advice I could give you is to make friends with the M2s (more than one of em) and pool their advice. Odds are, you will get more direct utility out of their experience than our collective.

Members don't see this ad :)
If the OP is still reading, the best advice I could give you is to make friends with the M2s (more than one of em) and pool their advice. Odds are, you will get more direct utility out of their experience than our collective.

The OP is probably an attending now.
Either way, Good advice but i did noticed that i got so many conflicting pieces of advice from M2s when i started that i decided to not listen to anyone.

I'm pretty sure there is an old thread relating to this somewhere on here but I'm a MS1 about to start my first year in a month. I've heard from alot of threads on here as well as med students that there are very few books that are needed to buy in med school. But! There are alot of legit review cards, books, atlases, etc that really help out when preparing for test.

If anyone has any reccomendations please do tell. If you can, reply to the thread and try to group all the books into subjects like:

Path:
----
Biochem:
----

etc...

Also, I'm starting at LSUHSC-Shreveport if that helps at all.

Thanks everyone in advance for that advice.

Congrats and good luck! These are the books I use regularly.

Path: Robbins. I like medium, but as you can see by the numerous big vs medium posts, there is some debate. I've read chapters in both and don't feel like medium leaves out anything important. JMO

Biochem: Lippincotts

Pharm: Lippincotts

Histo: Wheater's

Micro: Micro made simple

Phys: BRS, lange review series

If you are systems based: For cardio, Pathophys of Heart Disease by Lilly

thanks UAB and Joker.

I thought I posted a new thread, but i guess i did something wrong. I'm new to studentdoc.

I'm pretty sure there is an old thread relating to this somewhere on here but I'm a MS1 about to start my first year in a month. I've heard from alot of threads on here as well as med students that there are very few books that are needed to buy in med school. But! There are alot of legit review cards, books, atlases, etc that really help out when preparing for test.

If anyone has any reccomendations please do tell. If you can, reply to the thread and try to group all the books into subjects like:

Path:
----
Biochem:
----

etc...

Also, I'm starting at LSUHSC-Shreveport if that helps at all.

Thanks everyone in advance for that advice.

I liked Netter's and Rohen's for gross/lab (who doesn't?), Rapid Review for biochem, BRS for gross, First Aid to use in tandem with material seen in class... and, well, class notes for damn near everything else. Used CMMRS, but didn't even finish the thing. Oh, and BRS flash cards for pharmacology are pretty sweet; ended up pulling the ones for drugs we were covering closer to the end of M1. Kind of nice to have.

thanks UAB and Joker.

I thought I posted a new thread, but i guess i did something wrong. I'm new to studentdoc.

You did post a new thread. It was combined with this one because the question you asked has been answered multiple times over, most recently in this thread. If you read through it, you will find more answers to your question

I'd just like to give a big shout out to everyone who's given advice here. Thanks a bunch! You guys are really helpful and awesome.

Hopefully I'll survive..... :xf:

Check out Blumenfeld's "Neuroanatomy Through Clinical Cases". It's a good one.

Second/third/fourth this. Fantastic textbook, especially good if you're interested in neuro/nsgy/rads, since there is good imaging correlation with the anatomy / physiology. Even decently cheap given the size/length of it.

Also, Lippincott Pharm is the only book I purchased for Step 1 that I kept. That should say something...

Thats a good list along with online resources as review websites. Searching things from your iphone if you dont know a term and getting used to a review website can help. Also some iphone apps have flashcards and do lots of practice questions for biochem, micro. Get to know your library. Organize class notes. Dont get FA now and wait until the new edition when you are a 2nd yr. Get BRS as a first yr. Physio and Path

For the class of 2014:

1) If you haven't already done it, make your Facebook account look polite.
2) See above re: class attendance, but if there are faculty who are brilliant and/or will be your attendings, you might want them to see your pretty face other than during the exam.
3) In addition to BRS Phys, get Cases and Problems. For Step 1, you can get by pretty well on FA and Rapid Review Path.
4) Anatomy is hard, but it's a relatively low-yield subject for the rest of your life (even if you're a surgeon).
5) Don't buy any equipment till you're required to buy it, unless someone else is paying. Try to get to a conference where vendors are selling equipment first, so you can see what they're selling to attendings, and the discounts. Or buy it from a 4th year.
6) Get a good printer w/ the cheapest ink possible, unless your school offers free color printing.
7) If you have anxiety or depression type issues, no matter how mild, start working on it now. Get help from your school's free counsel in your first semester. Think of who you will call when you feel underwater. Don't just wander by classmates who look like they are about to snap -talk to them, talk to your confidential aide, etc.
8) Be yourself, but try to think about the fact that someday all of your classmates are going to be MDs, and some of them may be colleagues in your field or referring patients in your area. Do you really want them to think about how you puked on their shoes at that party every time they think read your name in a journal or are trying to decide where to send their patients?

Thank you all for this very useful thread.

I have a question regarding electronic textbooks. I am a recovering back surgery patient going into M1 mode soon. I don't want to lug heavy textbooks around. What I was wondering is:

Do these books--Netter's, BRS, etc.--come in electronic form that I could reference either on a lap top or one of those e-book reading devices?

Thanks for any input.

Some of the BRS have online access to the full text but not all. It's really hard to read textbooks online, but if you study at home you don't need to lug it around or else try to read the one in the lib. hope your back gets better.

My top 10 list:

10) Don't sleep with a classmate, if it can be avoided.
9) Get your sleep
8) Make friends with your upperclassmen
7) Devote a 1/4, 1/2, or even a full day once a week to relaxing
6) Shut out the nervous chatter of your classmates before a test, even if that means studying alone or staying off facebook.
5) Help someone out if they look lost. You'll make a friend and one day they will return the favor.
4) Find what works for you: if your mind wanders in lecture, don't go. If you're a flashcard person, make flashcards.
3) Devote the first semester to settling into medical school. Your #1 priority is to hone your study skills. Research/ECs/shadowing can come after you've done this. Otherwise, you'll end up a mess.
2) Yeah, you're in debt, but treat yourself every once in awhile... you deserve it.
1) Go to the post test party. Make sure you follow #10.

My top 10 list:

10) Don't sleep with a classmate, if it can be avoided.
9) Get your sleep
8) Make friends with your upperclassmen
7) Devote a 1/4, 1/2, or even a full day once a week to relaxing
6) Shut out the nervous chatter of your classmates before a test, even if that means studying alone or staying off facebook.
5) Help someone out if they look lost. You'll make a friend and one day they will return the favor.
4) Find what works for you: if your mind wanders in lecture, don't go. If you're a flashcard person, make flashcards.
3) Devote the first semester to settling into medical school. Your #1 priority is to hone your study skills. Research/ECs/shadowing can come after you've done this. Otherwise, you'll end up a mess.
2) Yeah, you're in debt, but treat yourself every once in awhile... you deserve it.
1) Go to the post test party. Make sure you follow #10.

Sage advice. :thumbup:

Know your library with old exams and board review books. Spend most of your time reading and studying and trying new learning methods. Speak out loud, listen to videos/audio, browse online health review websites, and talk to friends abt class topics.

Do you use binders and three hole punch your lecture slides? Do you use spiral notebooks with different sections for subjects? Folders? Is everything just on your laptop?

I used binders in undergrad for biochem and classes like that and had an extra spiral for small note taking. I study best when I am organized so I just wanted to hear some ideas from other students...

On my computer I just make a folder for each class where I place notes, presentations, and review material. As for the notes, I always run out of space in binders so I buy those covers with the 2 prongs. They can fit a crap load of paper (more than any binder). I separate those by class.

Do you use binders and three hole punch your lecture slides? Do you use spiral notebooks with different sections for subjects? Folders? Is everything just on your laptop?

I used binders in undergrad for biochem and classes like that and had an extra spiral for small note taking. I study best when I am organized so I just wanted to hear some ideas from other students...

I am *planning* on writing notes on lined paper and putting them in separate duo-tangs as each topic is covered (school has block system) to keep them nice and organized for later reviewing.

I like duo-tangs as you can remove and add what you wish, while they're not bulky, and unlike notebooks there's no wasted paper at the end of the semester when the notebook isn't used fully.

3 inch binder for printed power point lectures (6 slides per page), drawings, and other notes. Only way to go. Separate lecture notes with post-its for labels and use different colors for subjects. Each binder holds enough for the info for one mid-term. And I end up with 3 of these binders by the end of the semester.

I tried just using a notebook at first... and failed miserably.

A lot of schools give a set of syllabus i.e. class notes all typed out. I just jot down a few things in those.

Most (if not all) med school classes have powerpoint notes or some kind of provided material from the instructor.

My suggestion for maximizing on your learning experience is to do the following:

Print out the powerpoints/whatever
Jot as much extra info from lecture as you can
Rewrite the notes into your own words and in a more organized and concise fashion
Place these handwritten notes in a duotang for each separate class
Maintain these notes through to your USMLEs and beyond.

Last edited:
If you can, try to get in on the free clinic volunteering if your school has one. After studying for countless hours for an exam, you tend to lose perspective on why you're in med school in the first place. I found that going in and seeing real patients snapped me back.

Most (if not all) med school classes have powerpoint notes or some kind of provided material from the instructor.

My suggestion for maximizing on your learning experience is to do the following:

Print out the powerpoints/whatever
Jot as much extra info from lecture as you can
Rewrite the notes into your own words and in a more organized and concise fashion
Place these handwritten notes in a duotang for each separate class
Maintain these notes through to your USMLEs and beyond.

What is a duotang? Is it just a folder with the metal tabs in the middle for putting papers in them?

Great thread. Thank you for all the advices.

Don't get carried away with the mnemonics. Memorizing things by how they relate to alphabetic characters 1) doesn't help you understand anything, and 2) will become useless as you delve further into the material. Example...the mnemonics for the cranial nerves and which are sensory, etc. You will learn every single branch and fiber type, terminus and communication for each one. If you still need a mnemonic at that point you're f*cked.

Don't get carried away with the mnemonics. Memorizing things by how they relate to alphabetic characters 1) doesn't help you understand anything, and 2) will become useless as you delve further into the material. Example...the mnemonics for the cranial nerves and which are sensory, etc. You will learn every single branch and fiber type, terminus and communication for each one. If you still need a mnemonic at that point you're f*cked.

Mnemonics are training wheels. No way I could have remembered the cranial nerves without the 4 versions of that mnemonic. Do I need them now? No. But as learning tool they were invaluable. I still use the one for carpal bones since I need to know that information so rarely...

Mnemonics are training wheels. No way I could have remembered the cranial nerves without the 4 versions of that mnemonic. Do I need them now? No. But as learning tool they were invaluable. I still use the one for carpal bones since I need to know that information so rarely...

My thoughts exactly. And I admit to still running down "Some say money matters, but..." to make sure I don't mis-think a nerve as motor when it's actually both.

This thread has been really informative, but has also randomly made me really nervous to start in a couple weeks. Hope I can keep up...

Thanks to all those who have provided advice.

This thread has been really informative, but has also randomly made me really nervous to start in a couple weeks. Hope I can keep up...

Thanks to all those who have provided advice.

You'll be okay. Just don't overthink anything you see here... it starts, it's rough, and then you adapt.