Iowa Carver 2012 Status?

Started by hawkeye12
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey guys,

Tried to call yesterday but no one answered the phone...😕

Is the University evacuated or something? How is Iowa City doing right now?

Also about housing, is it realistic to find a place to live mid-july or does the city fill up really quickly? If I get accepted before the first week of July I was thinking of driving to Iowa city and finding a place to live in a few days. Is this even possible?

Thanks!
 
Just a heads up, due to the flooding in Iowa City, the University has told all non-essential personnel not to come in next week. I would assume that includes the admissions staff, so we will probably not get any updates this week.
 
I wouldn't try to go to Iowa City for a few weeks. Traffic is a mess and I-80 and I-380 are closed at parts. Wait until the flood waters drain down a bit to go apartment hunting, it would be more frustrating than anything else.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I've heard of people getting apartments as late as August, but I would try and get something by mid-July at the latest. That said, I agree with the above posters...I'd stay out of Iowa City for at least the next one to two weeks.
 
bump. I'm sort of curious if anyone has an idea of how much damage the flood might have caused? Not very familiar w/ flood damage myself.
 
Um, a lot. I live in Cedar Rapids, and it is so messy here, with over $1 billion in damages. I work in Iowa City and it is a mess too. A lot of the undergrad parts of campus are damaged, being lower and closer to the Iowa River. I am not sure if Carver was directly affected, it is up pretty high on a hill so I wouldn't think so, but there is hardly any parking around the campus and the hospital, so we've all been asked to stay home til Monday at least. Good luck with your apartment hunting! :luck:
 
I live in University Heights (Iowa City) and work at the hospital. It's a mess because traffic from the interstate all comes in on Melrose, but aside from that and the steam tunnels being out of commission, Carver hasn't been affected. They called everybody back to the hospital on Wednesday, and many of us have been there all week. This side of campus will be perfectly fine as soon as all the interstate exits are open again.

LuckySeven, I hope you're doing okay in CR. My parents are there, and I hear the devastation is just unbelievable. I hope you're on high ground!
 
I live in University Heights (Iowa City) and work at the hospital. It's a mess because traffic from the interstate all comes in on Melrose, but aside from that and the steam tunnels being out of commission, Carver hasn't been affected. They called everybody back to the hospital on Wednesday, and many of us have been there all week. This side of campus will be perfectly fine as soon as all the interstate exits are open again.

LuckySeven, I hope you're doing okay in CR. My parents are there, and I hear the devastation is just unbelievable. I hope you're on high ground!

Thanks, Curious, my house is on a hill, miles from the river, so there was no flooding in my immediate vicinity. The roads were impassable at a lot of crucial junctions, though, which was awful. It's still really hard to get on 380 because of all the construction and repair vehicles trying to fix the damage. Also, it smells really bad in the areas that were flooded because the water was full of sewage. I hope your parents are okay too.

I just wanted to let people know that Dean Solow sent out emails today with the following info:
"For those of you who have not yet secured housing, it is important that you do so as soon as possible. With people displaced from homes, there will be more demand placed on local housing options."
So for those of you who are searching, you might want to fast track this one. Good luck! :luck:
 
Thanks, Curious, my house is on a hill, miles from the river, so there was no flooding in my immediate vicinity. The roads were impassable at a lot of crucial junctions, though, which was awful. It's still really hard to get on 380 because of all the construction and repair vehicles trying to fix the damage. Also, it smells really bad in the areas that were flooded because the water was full of sewage. I hope your parents are okay too.

I just wanted to let people know that Dean Solow sent out emails today with the following info:
"For those of you who have not yet secured housing, it is important that you do so as soon as possible. With people displaced from homes, there will be more demand placed on local housing options."
So for those of you who are searching, you might want to fast track this one. Good luck! :luck:

Lucky, I am soooooo glad that your house hasn't been affected by the flood! This whole thing is very devastating for many people...I feel terribly for those who have been displaced from their homes...and for people whose businesses have been shut down due to the flood. It's so horrible...🙁

This is a little late, but...I wish everyone the best of luck with everything...whether it's finding a place to live amidst the mess...or dealing with friends/family who have been affected by this. And...I look forward to seeing you all in August!!
 
So, has there been any waitlist movement since early June, or have they just gone through 26? Obviously their office was closed due to the flood, but they're back now, right?

I'm out of the country but my family bought a condo for me! I am living in University Heights. I've been wanting that condo sooo bad for so many months and now it has finally worked out... I'm pumped... how's everyone else doing with housing?

Well, I hope all is well with everyone... and that the waitlist keeps moving until classes start... stay dry and safe... and enjoy the summer! 🙂
 
So, has there been any waitlist movement since early June, or have they just gone through 26? Obviously their office was closed due to the flood, but they're back now, right?

I'm out of the country but my family bought a condo for me! I am living in University Heights. I've been wanting that condo sooo bad for so many months and now it has finally worked out... I'm pumped... how's everyone else doing with housing?

Well, I hope all is well with everyone... and that the waitlist keeps moving until classes start... stay dry and safe... and enjoy the summer! 🙂

You are correct, there hasen't been any movement lately. I'm still #3 :scared:

Hope everyone else is having a good summer.
 
Hey arb, I'm still here. Finding this whole no-movement thing a little disheartening, though...you?
 
I check in every once in awhile. I'm still pulling for everyone and look forward to any updates any waitlisters have...This fall should definitely be interesting with all the rebuilding they will be doing around campus (mostly the arts buildings though). There was a report that it would cost in upwards of 75 million dollars to rebuild. Strange what a bunch of water all at once can do.
 
hey guys i haven't posted here in awhile but i am still sitting on the oos waitlist at #6 now (called a few min ago). carolyn said the movement has slowed down so i don't know what to think. 🙁 i have moved 21 spots since the may 15-ish update...ahhh is 6 more spots too much to ask??!!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys i haven't posted here in awhile but i am still sitting on the oos waitlist at #6 now (called a few min ago). carolyn said the movement has slowed down so i don't know what to think. 🙁 i have moved 21 spots since the may 15-ish update...ahhh is 6 more spots too much to ask??!!

Yeah I'm in a bad spot...#17...but getting closer!

Not sure if I should wait or not...are you definately going to attend Iowa if accepted?
 
Yeah I'm in a bad spot...#17...but getting closer!

Not sure if I should wait or not...are you definately going to attend Iowa if accepted?

Yep, it has been my first choice since I interviewed there. I think we still have some time left before we need to make any actual decisions, so I say let's wait it out. What number did you start at if you don't mind me asking?
 
Yep, it has been my first choice since I interviewed there. I think we still have some time left before we need to make any actual decisions, so I say let's wait it out. What number did you start at if you don't mind me asking?

Started out #58 but I am running out of time even though I have moved over 40 spots. I was already accepted at SLU and orientation is August 3rd...and I don't even have an apartment although I visited early June and found some possibilities. It would be fine if SLU didn't start until later in the month but I don't want to screw myself over by not going. I think I might wait maybe 2 more weeks and say screw it because SLU is a good school anyways.
 
Started out #58 but I am running out of time even though I have moved over 40 spots. I was already accepted at SLU and orientation is August 3rd...and I don't even have an apartment although I visited early June and found some possibilities. It would be fine if SLU didn't start until later in the month but I don't want to screw myself over by not going. I think I might wait maybe 2 more weeks and say screw it because SLU is a good school anyways.

yeah i'm in a similar boat as you, i have an acceptance at MCW, orientation starts Aug 11 and i don't have a clue as to where i am going to live if i do end up going there. i am thinking of giving it till the end of july. i'm just hoping for some good news before then. 😳
 
yeah i'm in a similar boat as you, i have an acceptance at MCW, orientation starts Aug 11 and i don't have a clue as to where i am going to live if i do end up going there. i am thinking of giving it till the end of july. i'm just hoping for some good news before then. 😳
We are in the same boat, I have been accepted to MCW and am holding out for waitlist movement at Iowa.
 
I am not really sure where I stand as of the moment, probably somwhere in the teens.
 
Hey so I'm also on the OOS wait-list. I think I'm at #20. I'm not wait-listed or accepted at any other schools.

Just letting you know that although I can totally relate to trying to get into a first choice medical school, withdrawing from the Iowa wait-list would benifit me. And I'm kind of awesome.

Besides haven't your guys heard? Carver is yesterdays news! MCW and SLU are where it's at.

Yay! Withdrawing from the Iowa wait-list is awesome! Yay MCW and SLU!

🙂
 
Hey everyone. I just called and I have moved up one more spot on the IS list. I'm not sure what this means for all of you, but just so you know, its moved 1 more spot 👍.
 
hey guys I just called and I am now #4 on the OOS list, so that means it has moved 2 spots since last Tuesday for me and possibly more for others. Let's hope it keeps moving!
 
Hey everyone. I just called and I have moved up one more spot on the IS list. I'm not sure what this means for all of you, but just so you know, its moved 1 more spot 👍.

Thanks for the update, Arb! That makes me #1 - I'll let you know as soon as I get in!
 
Hello everyone!!!! I haven't been on SDN for a long while...so I thought I'd check in to see how the WL movement was going. It seems that Curious and arb still have a shot!! I just wanted to let you know that I'm still pulling for you guys...:luck: :luck: :luck:
 
Just checking on the waitlist movement? Does anyone think there's hope to move the whole list as last year? and when should you really give in? Goodluck to everyone
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello everyone!!!! I haven't been on SDN for a long while...so I thought I'd check in to see how the WL movement was going. It seems that Curious and arb still have a shot!! I just wanted to let you know that I'm still pulling for you guys...:luck: :luck: :luck:

Thanks Aku! Hopefully we'll be joining you soon.
 
The OOS waitlist has moved another 2 spots. When I talked to Carolyn a few minutes ago she said the amount of movement in July was less than what they had expected and she wasn't sure how the end of this month would wrap up.
 
The OOS waitlist has moved another 2 spots. When I talked to Carolyn a few minutes ago she said the amount of movement in July was less than what they had expected and she wasn't sure how the end of this month would wrap up.

Great news, lets hope it keeps moving 🙂.
 
Hey guys, I got a phone call from Carolyn today at around 4:30 pm with an offer for admission. Needless to say I am ecstatic! 😀 Let's hope the OOS keeps up the pace, good luck to those of you still waiting! :luck:I Hope to see you all at orientation!
 
Hey guys, I got a phone call from Carolyn today at around 4:30 pm with an offer for admission. Needless to say I am ecstatic! 😀 Let's hope the OOS keeps up the pace, good luck to those of you still waiting! :luck:I Hope to see you all at orientation!

Congratulations!!
 
CONGRATS Curious!!!!!! Welcome to our class...I am very happy for you! :biglove:

Arb...I think you'll make it!!! I've definitely got my fingers crossed for you! Just try to enjoy the rest of your summer, and be sure to post with the good news!
 
Congrats, MN and Curious! Arb, you must let us know the moment you get word- we're all pulling for you!!!!:luck:
 
Congrats to everyone who has received an acceptance since I last posted (Curious, arb, mn...etc.?) Only two weeks before we start! I'll look forward to seeing you there. We'll have to figure some way to recognize each other though....a red rose maybe? 😀 jokes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hey Everyone. Thanks for all the congrats! I'm getting excited but also pretty nervous to start.

So I went to Iowa City today to look for an apartment and after about 5 hours of looking, not surprisingly I found absolutely nothing. Does anyone have any advice? I guess I could live down by the river until I find some place to live.
 
I just got in too and I am having the same housing crisis. Let me know if you find anything!
 
Hey guys, just got the call and I got in! Wow.

Sorry this is so late...but...CONGRATS!!!!! I'm so happy you got in! That means they took 29 off the IS waitlist this year...not bad at all! You must be thrilled! Good luck with housing stuff and getting things together...it will be stressful, but well worth it in the end! Let me know if you have any questions or want advice with something. I'll do my best to help! Congrats again Arb and see you in the fall (well...more like in a few days)!! 😀
 
Arb, I'm so glad you got in! I'm not sure what to do about the housing thing, has anyone made progress in their search? If you are into buying, there may be a few units available still in my complex....tons of med students live there. I'm not sure what the rent situation is like now. Congrats again on getting in and good luck with finding a place to live:luck:
 
Thanks Lucky and Aku!

I ended up finding a place not too far from campus (~1 mile). It is a 2 bedroom apartment. If you know of anyone else who is looking for a place to live I just posted a thread on ICON. See everyone very soon!