You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Iowa Carver 2012 Status?
Started by hawkeye12
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
I was just wondering if those of you who have lived in IC, or are familiar with IC, would have any advice as to where would be a good place to live. People have been telling me to live on a bus route because students use the bus system a lot. Is this true of med students as well? Would any of you reccommend IC vs. Coralville or vice versa? Really I'm just looking for ANY useful advice on this topic...
I've been condo/apartment hunting and I'm planning on actually going there on Saturday. I definitely want something VERY close to the med school campus. I'm just not familiar with the area at all. I know I'll eventually figure it out...but suggestions would be much appreciated. 😀
And last but not least...good luck to those of you still waiting and hoping!!
Let's hope there will be more WL movement this week!
I've been condo/apartment hunting and I'm planning on actually going there on Saturday. I definitely want something VERY close to the med school campus. I'm just not familiar with the area at all. I know I'll eventually figure it out...but suggestions would be much appreciated. 😀
And last but not least...good luck to those of you still waiting and hoping!!
Let's hope there will be more WL movement this week! Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'd say live on the west side of campus, not the east side, because you'll be closer to the health campus and among grad students rather than undergrad. Coralville is obviously a little farther than living in Iowa City itself, but definitely try to get on a bus route. Are you buying or renting?
When you're looking at a place, just ask the person showing it to you how close it is to the medical school, how far away the bus stop is, etc. My family is going to buy a condo, so it's harder for us to find something that close, but I think with renting, you can definitely be near the med school.
When you're looking at a place, just ask the person showing it to you how close it is to the medical school, how far away the bus stop is, etc. My family is going to buy a condo, so it's harder for us to find something that close, but I think with renting, you can definitely be near the med school.
I was just wondering if those of you who have lived in IC, or are familiar with IC, would have any advice as to where would be a good place to live. People have been telling me to live on a bus route because students use the bus system a lot. Is this true of med students as well? Would any of you reccommend IC vs. Coralville or vice versa? Really I'm just looking for ANY useful advice on this topic...
I live in University Heights (a little tiny town near the hospital surrounded on all sides by Iowa City), and I really love the location. It is less than a 20-minute walk to the hospital/med school, and I can walk downtown in about 40 minutes. I have a car that I use to venture off campus and I have never used the buses, although I think there is a stop less than a block away.
As far as I can tell, med students tend to walk, bike, or ride the bus to class. The preference seems to be for walking and biking, but obviously students who live a long way from campus don't really have that option.
I absolutely agree with Jooj - stick to the west side of the river. In addition to being closer to the med school than you would be on the other side of the river, the west side is popular with grad students and people who aren't in school, as opposed to undergrads.
If you have more specific questions, let me know and I will be happy to try to help!
I just called to find my status on the IS WL. I started at #39 and am now #13, so it has moved a total of 26 spots so far. I'm really not expecting to make it off the list, but I just wanted the rest of you to know that it has moved another spot. Good luck to all waiting!
I just called to find my status on the IS WL. I started at #39 and am now #13, so it has moved a total of 26 spots so far. I'm really not expecting to make it off the list, but I just wanted the rest of you to know that it has moved another spot. Good luck to all waiting!
Hmm... I called and I'm still at #2... I started at #26 so to me it seems that it has only moved 24 spots so far.... did anyone else call today?
Jooj and Curious...thank you for all your input...I will definitely be taking your advice! The west side of campus it is! As for whether I'm buying or renting, I actually don't know yet. I'm going to look at condos with a realtor on Saturday to see what my options are for buying. If it's too expensive for me to buy, I'll probably have to rent. Either way...most likely I'll only be living in my first place for the first year. I'm hopefully getting married next summer and then the two of us can get a bigger, nicer place. So in that scenario I'll probably rent. If anyone else has anything to add...please do!
So the instate WL has moved 26 spots!!! That means Cookie and Jooj are in, right? Congrats guys!!!!!
Edit: Oops...scratch that. There must have been some internal movement that accounted for Francon moving 26 spots. Sorry guys...but remember, there's still hope!
So the instate WL has moved 26 spots!!! That means Cookie and Jooj are in, right? Congrats guys!!!!!

Edit: Oops...scratch that. There must have been some internal movement that accounted for Francon moving 26 spots. Sorry guys...but remember, there's still hope!
I bought a condo in University Heights that is 0.7 miles from the entrance to the Pappajohn Pavilion of UIHC, and I cut through the hospital about 0.5 miles to get to my research building, which is right next to MERF. All in all, it's about a 20 minute walk from condo to lab. A lot of grad students, especially law students, live in the condo complex I do.
Most of my friends from high school, in med/law/dental/grad school, live on the west side and take the bus. But I really like to walk, and I also like the residential neighborhood atmosphere of University Heights.
There are still a few condos available for purchase in my complex. Although the buildings were built awhile ago, the inside was torn out and completely rebuilt over the last year, so everything is nice and new. Hope this helps!
Most of my friends from high school, in med/law/dental/grad school, live on the west side and take the bus. But I really like to walk, and I also like the residential neighborhood atmosphere of University Heights.
There are still a few condos available for purchase in my complex. Although the buildings were built awhile ago, the inside was torn out and completely rebuilt over the last year, so everything is nice and new. Hope this helps!
Hmm... I called and I'm still at #2... I started at #26 so to me it seems that it has only moved 24 spots so far.... did anyone else call today?
Yeah, I called and I'm still #5. The movement must have been people actually on the WL. But thanks for the update Francon.
I'm starting to get nervous

Update for OOS:
Was number 38 on update from 5/21 and called today and am surprisingly number 33 so some movement! Good luck!
Was number 38 on update from 5/21 and called today and am surprisingly number 33 so some movement! Good luck!
Yeah, I called and I'm still #5. The movement must have been people actually on the WL. But thanks for the update Francon.
I'm starting to get nervous![]()
Try to hang in there arb...I know how hard it is. Technically speaking, there's still hope until orientation begins! Will you be heading to a different school if Iowa doesn't pull through? Just wondering...but it'd be really nice to be your classmate. Good luck!!
lucky, what is the name of your condo complex/ what is the street name? i'm looking for a place in that area right now but i'm having a hard time.
The complex is the Grandview Regency, just off of Melrose a block or two. There are four large buildings, and I know there are units available in the 300 and 600 buildings. The realtor I used was Mark Matuska of Ambrose and Boyd, and we were really pleased with his work. Let me know if this helps!
I just wanted to pop into the thread and say good luck to everyone on the waitlist! Its not even June yet so there should still be some waitlist movement (I hope).
For housing arrangements, I will also be on the west side of the river and encourage all grad students to stick to that side. One thing though, if you don't buy finding an apt that accepts pets is difficult. My parents will be adopting my furry friends for the next 4/5 years because I couldn't find an *acceptable* apartment that accepted pets too. I should have bought something.😡
Also, free bump for the thread.
For housing arrangements, I will also be on the west side of the river and encourage all grad students to stick to that side. One thing though, if you don't buy finding an apt that accepts pets is difficult. My parents will be adopting my furry friends for the next 4/5 years because I couldn't find an *acceptable* apartment that accepted pets too. I should have bought something.😡
Also, free bump for the thread.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Try to hang in there arb...I know how hard it is. Technically speaking, there's still hope until orientation begins! Will you be heading to a different school if Iowa doesn't pull through? Just wondering...but it'd be really nice to be your classmate. Good luck!!
I don't have any acceptances but I am on another waitlist in addition to Iowa. I would much rather go to Iowa than the other school. I'm not too sure what I'll do if I don't get in. I already took a year off and don't really want to take another year. I'm ready to get my life going, you know?
Let's hope we can be classmates. 🙂
In case anyone was wondering, I called a little bit ago and there hasn't been any IS movement. Bummer.
I don't have any acceptances but I am on another waitlist in addition to Iowa. I would much rather go to Iowa than the other school. I'm not too sure what I'll do if I don't get in. I already took a year off and don't really want to take another year. I'm ready to get my life going, you know?
Let's hope we can be classmates. 🙂
I know what you mean about not wanting another year off. I ended up taking a two year "break" to strengthen my application more. I think it turned out alright in the end though...
To completely change the topic...the WL movement slowing down is to be expected because the May rush is coming to an end. I remember a while back when I was talking to Carolyn, she did tell me that there has always been movement in June. I don't know the averages, but I do know that last year they took 2 in June, 1 in July and 2 in August. Let's just hope it keeps on moving, (at least 5...)!! 🙂
I think you still have a shot. From May 21(wed) when I got my update e-mail to May 27 (tues) when I called, I had moved up 7 spots. I'd say that is a pretty solid level of movement for only a few days. I just hope it keeps up!
I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in town for a few days, and decided to look at apartments in IC just to get an idea, and I came home to this great news! So the list has moved at least one more spot!
This is such a good year to have applied- it's not even June yet. It'll defininitely at least reach 30. Goodluck to everyone else! It's just a matter of weeks at this point.
This is such a good year to have applied- it's not even June yet. It'll defininitely at least reach 30. Goodluck to everyone else! It's just a matter of weeks at this point.I am trying to get a good idea of what are the chances for OOS at this point. Would you say waitlist # 30's and 40's no hope?
nah definitely no shot. I'd go ahead and withdraw . . .
ok i'm just kidding - that was just me mischieviously trying to pick up one more spot on the wait list.
Congrats, Cookie! 😀
And I agree - things are definitely looking good for the rest of us, too. The waiting is rough, but it looks like it may pay off!
And I agree - things are definitely looking good for the rest of us, too. The waiting is rough, but it looks like it may pay off!
I'm in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm in town for a few days, and decided to look at apartments in IC just to get an idea, and I came home to this great news! So the list has moved at least one more spot!This is such a good year to have applied- it's not even June yet. It'll defininitely at least reach 30. Goodluck to everyone else! It's just a matter of weeks at this point.
Congrats!!!
That apartment hunting will definitely pay off! So that's 25 spots so far...14 of which have been in May alone. It's looking good for you guys...Jooj you're next!!!
AAhhhh I really want to get into Iowa
I can't stand it anymore!
When do you guys think OOS low 30's will get into the school? Will we have to wait until July??
I can't stand it anymore!When do you guys think OOS low 30's will get into the school? Will we have to wait until July??
Does anyone know how many in state residents they took off the alternate list last year?
Also, what's the IS list up to?
Last year they took 28 people off of the instate WL. This year...I think they've taken 25 so far. Good luck to you! 🙂
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I just thought I'd pop in and say good luck to those of you still waiting...![]()
Thanks Aku, congrats on getting in and I hope I'll be in Iowa City, only 31 more spots to go now!😀
I'm in!!!!!!!!!![]()
Congrats Jooj! I bet it feels great! I hope to join you soon.
YAY!!!! Welcome to the Iowa CCOM c/o 2012!! I'm so happy for you Jooj...big congrats!!I'm in!!!!!!!!!![]()

Congratulations, Jooj! 😀
Congrats jooj!!! Hope to see you next year...
Hey, Jooj, this is a little belated, but niiiiiiiiiiiiice! Congrats! I think that more congrats for some of the rest of you will be in order soon. It looks like a third to a half of our class will be comprised of waitlisters...and we still have two months to go!
Guess everybody else couldn't handle the heavy snow, and the tornadoes, and the floods...oh well, more Iowa for the rest of us!
Guess everybody else couldn't handle the heavy snow, and the tornadoes, and the floods...oh well, more Iowa for the rest of us!

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was just curious if anyone knew how much oos waitlist movement (if any)we should expect? Is it pretty much over? I'm sitting in the high 30's and I'm not too optimistic about my chances.
I was just curious if anyone knew how much oos waitlist movement (if any)we should expect? Is it pretty much over? I'm sitting in the high 30's and I'm not too optimistic about my chances.
Yeah, I'm wondering the same thing. It seems like the list isn't moving fast enough to get through 100 people like in years past. I am at number 11 right now and am wondering if I will even get in or not. Does anyone know what is different about this year, or if I still have a chance of getting in?
Arb, I just called, and there hasn't been any more movement.
I'm so not good at being patient...
I'm so not good at being patient...
Similar threads
- Replies
- 2
- Views
- 808
- Replies
- 32
- Views
- 6K
- Replies
- 1
- Views
- 2K



