Iowa (Carver) vs. Boston

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Iowa or Boston?

• Total voters
D

deleted1159105

I’ve been forunate enough to receive generous aid packages from both BU and Iowa (similar COA), I’m having a hard time picking between the two. I’m particularly interested in Psychiatry/ mental health (both research and community service opportunities), and am trying to consider what both schools can offer in that realm. I’d love everyone’s thoughts:

Iowa

Pros:
- Affordable area, very quiet
- Very much enjoyed the people and area during the in-person visit
- Lectures are recorded and a lot of the work can be viewed online, which is conductive to my learning style.
- Seems quite easy to obtain research, including summer research program which covers expenses during the period
- Student run mental health clinic

Cons:
-H/HP/P/F system for prelims
-Somewhat remote area

Boston

Pros:
- Offered subsidized housing, bringing rent in-line with Iowa
- No need to drive, saving on insurance, etc.
- Slightly higher ranked in research (though lower on PD rankings)
- P/F prelims
- Psych ER

Cons:
- I somewhat prefer quiet areas, it looks like the offered housing is next to an ER, so I’m concerned I’ll be hearing ambulances all day
- Not super sure on research available at Boston

Overall I’m pretty split, what are everyone’s thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven’t been/don’t like an urban environment like Boston, Iowa would be better for you.

Is proximity to family or a support system different between these (if that is something important to you)?

Reactions: 1 user
They're both pretty far from home unfortunately, so equal footing in that regard.

I have lived in both environments, and they both definitely have their conveniences. As much as I don't like the noise, I do appreciate the capacity to use public transportation and the proximity to the med school from the provided housing. Even in this respect it's really hard for me to fall on one side over the over!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also didn't realize they were graded, that's unfortunate. I would lean towards Iowa if they weren't, but graded preclinicals is so much added stress.

Yeah Boston with P/F and no need to drive seems like the best choice here. They will for sure have research opportunities.

No need to drive in Iowa because the huge hospital/health system is right there in Iowa city. Just about everything comes to you and students seem very happy in spite of the graded pre-clinicals. I think it’s a wash given even money and no dislike of urban issues.