Iowa interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fritz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am SO HAPPY! I got an interview invite today from Iowa. They offered me dates in November and January, ( the standard dates on the website). But I don't know what to choose. I have another interview in November so I am actually flying home the day that they ask you to fly to Iowa, November 15th. So I don't know what to do.
Are the MSTP programs rolling or non rolling? I know that Wash U lets you know right away, actually within 2 weeks if they like your or not. Is this the same for Iowa?

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

ok people I need some love here. Nobody interviewed yet at Iowa?
I tried to use the interview feedback site on intransit.us but Iowa is not even listed...:(

The November interview is the first for the year. I'm interviewing at Iowa in November, so I can't offer too much advice. Check out their MSTP website. It says that they have rolling admissions. I hope that helps.

Turvgenev13

Members don't see this ad :)
I know that they have rolling admissions for the medical school, but for MSTP is seems slightly odd, since the other 2 interview dates are all the way in January.

Anyway, I am so worried since it is my first MSTP interview, I don't even know what to prepare. Should I learn what everyone is doing? I am worrried that I might not remember their name in relation to the research that they are doing.

I am just curious, did they give you the names of the people you are going to be interviewing with?

Thanks a lot

Fritz.

I'll see you guys there in November. I guess being an Iowa resident is good for something... The people I talked to said that they haven't compiled lists yet. If I remember, two of the four MSTP interviews are with MSTP committee member, while the other two are research based. They try to match you up with your interests, i.e. what you said in applications and the research you've already done. I asked and they said they'd try to set up with someone you pick out of possible. As far as admissions timeline, I don't know. I'd guess its rolling since they don't have a 'candidate review' or anything.

I'm confirmed for November. I'll see you guys there.

Just arranged my interviews for Nov 15-17. Sounds nice to be given a ride by a student from the airport. And a lot of people in my specialty. Should be a good time.

If you guys want to chat some before we meet at the school, we could have things to talk about during our free time :)

Good luck to everyone!

I'm confirmed for November too. :)
I am really excited. When do you guys get there, morning, afternoon or evening?
I think we have a few free hours in the afternoon Saturday, am I right?

It looks like I'll be getting in during the afternoon. My parents live in Iowa City, so I'm kind of torn. I want to spend time with them and all, but also don't really want to short-change the weekend. Outside of that, I'm pumped.

I know exactly how you feel. I went to school there, but since I moved to Cali I have not had the chance to go back. There are lots of people wanting to see me and I don't know if I can see anyone in only a couple of hours. Plus, I don't even know if the afternoon is free, or they have something planned for us.

Hey Fritz,
I'm currently living in CA also, the SF bay area. I was wondering what life was like as a student in Iowa City. Good points? Bad points? How does it compare to life in the (formerly) golden state?

Thanks!

I'm actually arriving from Michigan on Friday night, so I'll be around all day Saturday. I don't think that they have anything planned until 7:00 Saturday night, at least according to the schedule on the website.

Life is Iowa is really calm and quiet. It is definetely DIFFERENT from Cali. If you expect something like Bay Area, you are going to be terribly dissapointed. However, Iowa is a really good place to raise a family, and people are very nice everywhere in Iowa. I really loved my 4 years there.
But really it is the midwest, so if you lived in the Bay Area for a long time, Iowa may seem like a desert island to you.

That's funny that you say Iowa is a really good place to raise a family. Whenever anyone asks me how it is there, that always comes up in my response.