Iowa Residencies, esp. UIHC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PharmNerd08

Residency Seeker
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

What did you guys hear about PGY1 residencies in Iowa, especially the program at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics? I may go for an interview there and I would like to know what you think or have heard about this program and clinical pharmacy in general in Iowa.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

What did you guys hear about PGY1 residencies in Iowa, especially the program at the University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics? I may go for an interview there and I would like to know what you think or have heard about this program and clinical pharmacy in general in Iowa.

Any feedback is appreciated :)

Thanks

I'm not done with pharmacy school yet, so I don't know how well I can answer your question (but I'm going to try anyway).

I talked to UIHC residents at Midyear and they seemed happy (of course, the residency director was standing right there so...). One of the residents told me they staff every other weekend.

I think Iowa is pretty progressive for pharmacy practice, as is the midwest in general (but like I said, I'm not actually practicing yet, this is just what I hear :)). Iowa's pharmacy association is also pretty active and always pushing for new things. They don't get everything they want, but at least there is some leadership and direction in our state.

If you have any general questions about Iowa, feel free to PM me or ask away.

The residents on both the AmCare and regular track seem to enjoy the program. I have done 3 rotations at UIHC, so I have met some of the current residents. The AmCare folks don't have as much staffing as those in the standard PGY-1 program, but no one from either group really seems tired, stressed, or burned out.

UIHC is great because as a teaching hospital everyone is used to having students and residents around. It's generally a very warm atmosphere and people are helpful. There are alot of very nice people in the pharmacy department itself. And, there are a TON of departments and opportunities to see things here that you would not see at a smaller hospital.

If you are also applying to the VA in Iowa City, my impression is that the VA residents are very busy. But, the quality of both programs seems to be pretty good. Both facilities have clinical pharmacists with part time teaching appointments.

IPA is pretty active here. It's probably more active than WSPA within the schools. The board here is not as influential on practice. The Johnson County Pharmacy Association is also extremely active. You will probably work with them as well if you come to Iowa. They have monthly topic meetings.