Iowa State c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

parietal

Minnesota DVM/MPH 2014!
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just spent the afternoon researching Ames and Iowa State. The more I learn, the more excited I am about being accepted. I need to wait for my IS school before I make my final decision, but I'd be honored to be a part of the Iowa State class of 2014.

How about the rest of you?
 
I'm SUPER excited! Still waiting to hear from one more school too, but ISU is now my first choice.🙂

Also glad you started this thread Parietal! I've been living vicariously though other threads...
 
Woot! Not sure where I'll end up yet, but Ames seemed like a really cool little town. I was really impressed with the school when I went for my interview!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Welcome, Quigly!

One of the two major obstacles standing between me and ISU is that I currently have a little hobby farm with my two horses. I absolutely love it here, but I'm an hour commute from my IS school so there's a different set of issues if I end up staying here.

Anyway, it seems like there are a number of fantastic boarding stables very close to Ames. Do you know much about them or what the average cost of pasture board tends to be in the area? I'm an eventer, so Canterbrooke looks very appealing (and close!) but I'm open to suggestions.

Thanks, GSDgirl! I couldn't believe no one else hadn't done it already, so I finally took the plunge. 😀

And variegata, I'd love it if we'd get to be classmates!
 
Last edited:
I have never looked into boarding horses, but a friend told me in Des Moines a stall is around 400 and pasture is 200 at the decent stables, but it might be a little cheaper around Ames. I've been told Canterbrooke is the nicest stable around Ames, but personally have only driven by it a couple times so I don't know that much about it.
 
I'm also looking forward to meeting all of you who end up at Iowa State this fall. I used to live in Des Moines and took one year of courses at ISU years ago so it'll somewhat be like coming back home. Good luck making decisions everyone.

Also, Parietal: I don't know if it helps, but I bought my shorthair (my avatar) from the folks out at KMJ equine which is just a couple miles south of Ames. It's only about a 5 minute drive from the school. They owner was a nice guy and the equine facilities seemed very nice, but I haven't been around many horse facilities so take my opinion with a grain of salt. If you're looking for info their e-mail is [email protected] and the phone number is 515-201-7175.
 
Anyway, it seems like there are a number of fantastic boarding stables very close to Ames. Do you know much about them or what the average cost of pasture board tends to be in the area? I'm an eventer, so Canterbrooke looks very appealing (and close!) but I'm open to suggestions.

I can't comment on any of the stables nearby since I don't have horses, but I know some students buy/rent a house in Boone or Nevada (both are 10-15 minutes away) that has room for horses. Dr. Howard may be able to get you in contact with students who are more familiar with the boarding situation around here.

And you all feel free to PM me with questions about anything while you make your decisions! I know things 🙂
 
Anyone know if there is an ISU class of 2014 facebook page started?

@ ginger - he is retiring but is remaining on the faculty, as posted to ISU's facebook page
 
Nope, not yet. I think they said they'd go out Thursday, so I'd expect it sometime next week depending on where you are.

Can any of you current students talk a bit more about the curriculum? Like I know Wisconsin tries to integrate its classes so that you're talking about, say, the lungs in biochem, histology, anatomy and physiology at the same time. Or Minnesota tries to give you lots of hands-on animal time your first year by teaching you physical exams and assigning you to clerk duty in the large animal hospital. Does Iowa State have anything like that? Also, do any of you do the joint DVM/MPH program? I'd love to hear more about how you like it.

And as far as I know, Iowa State vet school c/o 2014 doesn't have a Facebook page yet, but there is a general Iowa State vet school page at ISU College of Veterinary Medicine. I'd start a 2014 page, but I feel weird doing it when I don't know if that's where I'll end up...
 
Can any of you current students talk a bit more about the curriculum? Like I know Wisconsin tries to integrate its classes so that you're talking about, say, the lungs in biochem, histology, anatomy and physiology at the same time. Or Minnesota tries to give you lots of hands-on animal time your first year by teaching you physical exams and assigning you to clerk duty in the large animal hospital. Does Iowa State have anything like that?

The classes that can coordinate tend to do so--well, with the exception of the fall radiology class. That wasn't coordinated at all. In any case, histology (actually histology+physiology) and anatomy were fairly well-coordinated in the fall and have been not nearly as coordinated this semester. This is mostly because histology continues from where we ended last semester and we move on to large animals in anatomy. Radiology this semester is incorporated into anatomy, so it coordinates much, much better.

We also have a class called case studies where we work through different issues to help synthesize all of the information thrown at us--fall was small animal stuff, this semester is large animal. Both semesters (at least so far for spring) have tended to coordinate more closely with anatomy, at least in terms of the issue at hand.

There's another class that we take in fall called clinical foundations; we learn how to do physical exams on the junior surgery dogs. IIRC it's pretty much the only hands-on experience we get with live animals until junior surgery (in the core curriculum). There's also a similar class for large animals that's held just before classes start in the fall (be prepared to fight for a spot, though; the course was filled within 2 minutes of us being able to register for classes).

But there are a lot of non-core opportunities to work with animals, especially through clubs. Many of the wetlabs deal with cadavers (i.e. emergency procedures wetlab, dog necropsy wetlab) but some do deal with live animals (equine castration wetlab). Most wetlabs are only open to club members, though. There are a few electives that you do handle animals in, but I believe most of them aren't available until third year. You can also get involved with the Feral Cat Alliance (they hold a clinic about every month), the Wildlife Care Clinic, Foal ICU team, Mare/Cow watch, and so on. We're also encouraged to wander about the clinics (with our name tags, so they know we're students).

Also, do any of you do the joint DVM/MPH program? I'd love to hear more about how you like it.

I'm not in the program but I have been seriously considering it. I know a VM3 who is in the program and loves it; I'm sure if you contacted Dr. Howard she could put you in contact with someone.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thank you so much, cuitlamiztli!

Do you have many non-trads in your class or in other classes? Another non-trad and I were discussing that and realized we hadn't seen any on our tours or the student panels. Of course, sometimes we're not that easy to pick out 😀 but it did make us wonder.

Also, how are the relationships between your classmates? I know there's a lot of drama in most vet schools, but some schools do tend to be worse than others... Does the larger class size at Iowa State make much of a difference do you think?

Thanks again for letting us pester you with questions...
 
Glad I can help! I don't mind answering questions at all 🙂

Do you have many non-trads in your class or in other classes? Another non-trad and I were discussing that and realized we hadn't seen any on our tours or the student panels. Of course, sometimes we're not that easy to pick out 😀 but it did make us wonder.

IIRC the oldest student in our class is 44... and there are a good number of students in their late 20's/early 30's as well (some have advanced degrees, others worked for a while or did other things before applying). I believe that the other classes are similar.

Also, how are the relationships between your classmates? I know there's a lot of drama in most vet schools, but some schools do tend to be worse than others... Does the larger class size at Iowa State make much of a difference do you think?

The drama is definitely there, but for the most part we all seem to get along okay... though to be honest my class is rather frustratingly clique-ish while the other classes appear to be less so. I really don't think that our class size makes much of a difference; if anything it makes it a little easier to avoid.
 
What are the names of the two trailer parks behind the vet school? And what's the difference between the two again? (which one is preferred?)
And do you know when the housing list is sent out?
 
What are the names of the two trailer parks behind the vet school? And what's the difference between the two again? (which one is preferred?)
And do you know when the housing list is sent out?

They are Old Orchard and Creekside; Old Orchard is the one closer to vet med. As far as differences:

The trailers in Old Orchard are not as new as those in Creekside, but they're usually cheaper. You can also have cats/birds/etc. in Old Orchard and the only restriction on dogs is no pit bulls (supposedly)... you can have maybe 1 cat at Creekside. I've heard some students say that you can have dogs in Creekside as long as they're under a certain weight, but my understanding was that they're not allowed.

The housing list is available here and should be fairly up-to-date.
 
I've heard some students say that you can have dogs in Creekside as long as they're under a certain weight, but my understanding was that they're not allowed.


Almost positive you can not have dogs. I was thinking about living there last year and at that point they said no dogs.
 
Do you have many non-trads in your class or in other classes?

Well, I know it doesn't really answer your question but I'm a non-trad and I'll be there next year. I'll be 30 - more than just a couple years out from undergrad. I do know though that in most classes there are a number of late 20's/30's/and some older students represented.
 
Hi All,
I'm new to the forum and am really enjoying reading the posts! As for the question about non-trads, I think, at 45, I'm likely to be the oldest member of the ISU CVM class of 2014.😀 I am soooo looking forward to it!
 
Welcome, tricolorbadness!

That's awesome that there are already several non-trads in the class of 2014. I'm 33 and was a journalist in my previous career...
 
Welcome, tricolorbadness!

That's awesome that there are already several non-trads in the class of 2014. I'm 33 and was a journalist in my previous career...

Interesting - I went to undergrad on a journalism scholarship and ended up with a degree in public relations. After interning with a couple of different newspapers I decided it wasn't for me. Here's to doing complete 180's!
 
Wow, that's cool, Morganator. There are a couple other former journalists on here too in various stages of the admissions process. I like to think the curiosity, interviewing and people skills necessary for journalism/pr prepare us well for the science, exams/history stuff and customer service of being vets. Although it is a bit of a 180. 😀
 
Wow! I cannot imagine what a change that must have been for you two. Pretty cool!

My "180" is a little different.

Uneducated, boondocks trailer park resident, mother of 3, married to an alcoholic....to....single mother of 3, BS in Microbiology, PhD in Immunology (I skipped the MS), postdoc in epithelial cell biology, and currently....research in infectious diseases of bovines.

Now on to act three.............attending vet school is kind of like sharpening the cross hairs for me. Yep, 180's are good.
 
Uneducated, boondocks trailer park resident, mother of 3, married to an alcoholic....to....single mother of 3, BS in Microbiology, PhD in Immunology (I skipped the MS), postdoc in epithelial cell biology, and currently....research in infectious diseases of bovines. ... Yep, 180's are good.

Wow, that's awesome! I'm very impressed! I have a passion for infectious disease: I'm taking medical micro, virology and hematology for fun this semester. :laugh: But that pales in light of your dedication! (And your 180!)

Wow, with such cool potential classmates, Iowa State is getting even more appealing...
 
Last edited:
Yeah! I can join this thread now! Still waiting to hear from my IS, but now I have options 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Awesome, HandD! So excited for you! Isn't it such a huge relief?
 
Awesome, HandD! So excited for you! Isn't it such a huge relief?

Oh yeah! Weight of the world has been lifted (until I actually start classes of course). Still hard to believe that after all this time dream = reality!!!!!
 
looks like that $5 interview bet from parietal went a long way! congrats on your ACCEPTANCE HandD!!
 
looks like that $5 interview bet from parietal went a long way! congrats on your ACCEPTANCE HandD!!

I'm not a big better AT ALL but I was pretty sure that was a safe one. 😀

(Plus I figured even on the very unlikely chance that I did lose, HandD would feel a teeny bit better if she got $5 out of the deal. 🙂)
 
I'm not a big better AT ALL but I was pretty sure that was a safe one. 😀

(Plus I figured even on the very unlikely chance that I did lose, HandD would feel a teeny bit better if she got $5 out of the deal. 🙂)

Hahaha yep now I owe P the big bucks! Made my mom a bet about vet school and now I have to pay up on that one too. I'll be poor before I even make it to school:laugh:

Oh well, so worth it:banana:
 
Hahaha yep now I owe P the big bucks! Made my mom a bet about vet school and now I have to pay up on that one too. I'll be poor before I even make it to school:laugh:

Oh well, so worth it:banana:
Congrats on your letter from ISU!!

When will you hear from Minnesota?
 
Congrats on your letter from ISU!!

When will you hear from Minnesota?

March 6ish??? That is my guess, should be the second week of March for those of us still waiting on the gopher state. And they are (apparently) snail mailing them so there will be lots of stalking of the mail man.

I really love ISU's approach email + phone call by the Dean so you know the email wasn't a scam/mistake:laugh:
 
Yay HandD! I'm so glad your little health setback didn't end up being a problem!

It's gonna be either Iowa or Wisconsin for me! But I can't decide until I visit Wisconsin.
 
Kansas or Iowa...Kansas or Iowa *head in hands* I don't know! If I end up going to Iowa I won't get to meet you guys until two years from now! The program with Nebraska has us complete our first two years in Nebraska, and the last two years in Iowa.
 
Kansas or Iowa...Kansas or Iowa *head in hands* I don't know! If I end up going to Iowa I won't get to meet you guys until two years from now! The program with Nebraska has us complete our first two years in Nebraska, and the last two years in Iowa.

The UNL students join us at orientation (the last day or two, I think) and we have several classes polycommed with them. And we've had several activities (like football games) where they come up here or we go down there to mingle and such. You're not just isolated with your 20-some classmates until third year!

Good luck on your decision (and that goes for everyone else who's deciding, too)!
 
The UNL students join us at orientation (the last day or two, I think) and we have several classes polycommed with them. And we've had several activities (like football games) where they come up here or we go down there to mingle and such. You're not just isolated with your 20-some classmates until third year!

Good luck on your decision (and that goes for everyone else who's deciding, too)!

Good to know...thanks for the info!
 
Hi guys! I thought I would post this to save the good folks in admissions some phone calls... if you have not already submitted your FAFSA, you can ignore.

I received an email this morning indicating that my FAFSA was received at ISU but it also included the following:

"Your financial aid cannot be proccessed until you have been offered admission to Iowa State University. Currently, our records indicate you have not yet submitted an application for admission."

Admissions said that they notify the main campus of admission decisions the same day they notify students. Apparently, the main campus has not finished entering the names of admitted students into their system, but the issue should be resolved shortly.

(I guess this happens every year, and every year they get a million calls with students worried that their acceptance email was a mistake. That was why I called!)

So, if you got this email too, don't worry!

I assume it will be in the acceptance packet information, but when do we need to submit the FAFSA by?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
March 1st is priority registration. The final deadline is July 1st.

Sorry for the questions, but what does priority registration do for a person. Being an older student, I haven't filled out a FAFSA in 8 years so I guess I'm a little behind 😕

I'm glad I saw this thread if I need to have it done by the 1st!
 
Sorry for the questions, but what does priority registration do for a person. Being an older student, I haven't filled out a FAFSA in 8 years so I guess I'm a little behind 😕

I'm glad I saw this thread if I need to have it done by the 1st!

Federal aid is essentially on a first-come, first-serve basis--so you have a greater chance of receiving more aid by filing on/before March 1st than you do if you wait until, say, mid-June. Also, some loans (like HPSL) require you to file by March 1st.
 
Federal aid is essentially on a first-come, first-serve basis--so you have a greater chance of receiving more aid by filing on/before March 1st than you do if you wait until, say, mid-June. Also, some loans (like HPSL) require you to file by March 1st.

Thanks for the info!
 
I felt really silly having to put in my parent's info for consideration for the Health Professions Loan. They are both in their 70's.🙄