Iowa State c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I just wanted to say hi to all of you because after much debate I have decided to officially (and VERY happily) become an ISUer!! 😍😍 I can't wait to meet you all in August! I feel like it's sooo far away, but I know it's really not and the summer is going to fly by. Anyways, just wanted to say HI!! 🙂

:clap: very cool! Join us in the FB group...even though it's kinda dead right now.
 
I suppose these questions are more for cuitlamiztli, but if anyone else knows, I'm all ears.

I was looking at last year's VM1 fall book-order thingy, and saw something about a stethoscope "fair" at orientation. The order form said that they would have some out to try, and that you could pick one and buy it then. Anyways, here's the question part: is there an advantage to waiting and ordering one at the fair if you already know what you're getting? (Are they cheaper through the school compared to buying one online?)

On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know anything about this "Virtual Dog" thing? I have a friend at CSU that absolutely insists I get CSU's "Virtual Canine Anatomy" (she says she used that more than any textbook). I don't want to end up buying the CSU program if the "Virtual Dog" is the same thing... Anyone know anything about it?
 
Anyways, here's the question part: is there an advantage to waiting and ordering one at the fair if you already know what you're getting? (Are they cheaper through the school compared to buying one online?)

If the fair is the same as last year, you will get a packet of stuff (name tag, heart sounds CD, replacement ear cover-things, and possibly something I'm forgetting) if you purchase your stethoscope at the fair. You also get to take it home that day if you get there before the stock runs out, or in a week or so if they have to order it. I'm not sure how comparable they are, but I think I paid something like $155 for my cardio III + extra stuff.

On a somewhat unrelated note, does anyone know anything about this "Virtual Dog" thing? I have a friend at CSU that absolutely insists I get CSU's "Virtual Canine Anatomy" (she says she used that more than any textbook). I don't want to end up buying the CSU program if the "Virtual Dog" is the same thing... Anyone know anything about it?
As far as I know the virtual dog = CSU's program. I think it was supposed to be on the computers in the anatomy lab but I have no idea if it is, or if anyone ever used it on them... about 30-40 students in my class ended up ordering the CD in the second half of the semester. It's an awesome program but I didn't use my copy as often as I would have if I'd had it from the start.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone set up their ISU e-mail yet? And if so, have you received any school related e-mail to it yet?
 
Set it up, but nothing from Iowa State yet. Just E-Mails to myself to see if it was working (sad).

P.S. HeyIFoundADime = Paul Duff 🙂
 
I just got pulled of the waitlist for two schools (one is ISU) and was just wondering if you all wouldn't mind sharing why you choose ISU. I have to make a decision and my pro con lists are failing me!! I really like both schools! Please help!
 
no worries GSDgirl. I got a couple PM responses. I chose ISU, it was the right school for me, but now i gotta figure out housing....eek
 
no worries GSDgirl. I got a couple PM responses. I chose ISU, it was the right school for me, but now i gotta figure out housing....eek

Hey that is great!! I won't be there for the first two years (contract state), but I'll join you in the last two 😉 Congrats on your decision, and I'll see you at orientation!
 
GSDgirl, didnt know what part of wyoming you had been in but was wondering if it had dried out any. I was in NE wy/ SE montana last week helping do a little farming and it had been raining so often most people were a ways behind. Havent talked to anyone out there since and was wondering if it dried out much, snow doesnt sound good.
 
Last edited:
jpeterman13 PM'ed me a few days ago asking about textbooks. So, here's my input:

1. BMS 345 (Case Studies I)

You don't really need a medical dictionary for case studies, but it is nice to have one on hand if you like to flip through a book rather than look it up online (there are a ton of medical terminology websites out there). I purchased Saunder's.

2. BMS 333 (Histophysiology)
I would definitely purchase Cunningham; the book is organized nicely and it is very easy to read/wade through the material. It is a good supplement to the lecture material. My only suggestion--start reading it right away! I didn't discover how useful it was until more than halfway through the semester.

The other books (Dellman & Bacha) are nice to have on hand but I didn't read (or open) them more than once or twice.

4. BMS 336X (Veterinary Nutrition)
I didn't purchase any of the recommended texts.

5. BMS 330 (Anatomy)

Definitely purchase Miller's. You may not have time to read it, but the diagrams will help you immensely. Also definitely purchase the Guide to the Dissection of the Dog. Part of your course notes will include a dissection guide, but Evans & deLahunta is far more useful when you're actually dissecting. It's also full of diagrams.

Virtual canine anatomy and the anatomy flashcards are also good to have. The flashcards (which just came out this spring) include large animal stuff, so you'll be able to use them for the entire year instead of just a semester. If you learn well with color plates/coloring stuff/whatever then the color atlas may be a good thing to have. I'm not familiar with this particular one though.

6. VCS 391 (Interpretive Radiology)
Unfortunately* the Coulson atlas is required; you'll use it extensively.
*I say this because it's super expensive

Additional stuff
If you're interested in the vet consult editions, it's nice having the textbook on your computer but I'll be honest and say I barely used mine (I have an e-copy of the Cunningham book). It just comes down to how you learn and what you're used to; if you like to read from a hard copy, and physically highlight something, then skip the consult edition. If you're interested in trying the consult, I'd purchase one of the cheaper ones and try it out this semester. If you just wanted an electronic version without a hard copy, you can find them at the elsevier/evolve eBooks store.

Also, the library has copies of all the required texts on reserve. So if you don't want to buy them, but still want to read them or whatever, you can check them out for 2 hours at a time. And if you're in/around Ames, the bookstore should have copies of everything available for you to look at if you like to browse before you buy.

One last thing to keep in mind--the textbooks can be significantly cheaper online, and you'll probably start getting bombarded by emails from upperclassmen (or your sophomore contact) who want to sell their books. You're not required to purchase them from the bookstore.

If you have any more questions--ask away 🙂
 
So you didn't feel it was necessary to have this one for reference? Also - thanks for the info on the books.

No, not really. You'll be given any NRC guidelines (or other values) that you need for assignments and tests. It just seemed like an unnecessary expense to me at the time.

And no problem!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is there a book list somewhere with all of this stuff written out?

You should have received an email (at your @iastate.edu address) from the SCAVMA bookstore. Otherwise, it's on the vetzone under student information > SCAVMA bookstore.
 
So, everyone survive their first day of orientation? If any of you are roosters, I'm one of your team facilitators 🙂