Iowa State c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks for the help, cuitlamiztli!

I started looking at some of the major apartment complexes (suggested by kayakman28's older thread), and am sorry to say I got to "number crunching." Is anyone else freaking out!?!?!

ISU's financial aid/estimated costs handout from the interviews allowed $8,550 for room and board. For a calendar year, this works out to $712.50/month. Granted, I haven't lived without my (now) fiance since leaving the dorms 6 years ago, this doesn't seem like enough if you opt-out on having non-furry (people) roomies!

My Dad suggested I look at two-bedroom apartments so that I could have separate sleeping, "living" and study spaces. Assuming $30/week for groceries (not even sure how accurate this is, since I've never shopped for "one"), a (I'm hoping, adequate, if not generous) $100/month for utilities and water, and an apartment complex that includes cable and internet, this leaves a little less than $500/month for rent--which is still more than $100/month shy of rent for a one-bedroom apartment in one of kayakman28's suggested complexes!!!! (So long, roomy two-bedroom dream).

So, are most people leaning toward "taking the roomie-plunge" or taking out more loan money? (I know this is usually discouraged). Unless, as HandD42 suggested earlier, we "live in a box and, um, eat air," it looks like we're going to have to compromise in one or the other. (Or, I suppose, live in a crappy falling-apart apartment, which I don't think I could handle while in vet school).

Gah! This post got long, sorry. From now on, I'll make sure the SO locks up my calculator until at least noon. Number-crunching in the AM only leads to trouble!🙄

GSD what about doing the duplex/house situation and finding a roomie?

I've seen many duplexes and houses on Craigslist for the $8-900 range and some even have 3 bedrooms so that would leave one room for a den/office. Plus when you are spliiting utilites you may be looking closer to $50-75/moth total. Leaves you more money for groceries and other costs. Plus maybe there will be fewer restrictions on breeds.

Or if you are willing to live in Boone I have seen some duplexes on Craigslist in the $400-600 range. Maybe affordable without a roomie even, you just have to be willing to drive every day even in bad weather. I will admit to being slightly scared by Iowa roads even though I am a lifetime MN driver. That blowing snow and multiple wrecks I saw on my interview weekends were daunting.

I don't think I can afford to do this without a roommate so I'm hoping I can find someone I can get along with.

On a side note I sent in my form and deposit yesterday, I'm officially an ISUer now:banana:
 
GSD and HandD, I would recommend not living in Boone unless it's absolutely necessary. Trust me when I say it's not worth the headache of being that much farther away and the town in general is not the best. There are enough affordable options in Ames that you shouldn't have to consider Boone. Anyway, just 2 cents from someone who's lived in the area.
 
Congrats on the apartment!!!!

Leaving my doggie is not an option so my hunt continues. I am trying to finding housing as cheap as possible so I think I need to get a roomie....the quest continues....

I'm really hoping as spring progresses more people will be looking for roommates, all I see right now are summer subleases available.
 
Just wanted to bump this thread up and see if we have any new ISUers being called off the waitlist.

Good luck to everyone still waiting! :xf:
 
Thanks for posting this GSD!!!! I had no idea ISU had a dress code and admittedly have almost nothing which I can wear to class currently (in my lab we can wear jeans and t shirts) and almost no money to spend on clothes.

Hello thrift stores:idea:
 
Wow yeah super useful information, thanks! Dress code... interesting. I have nothing that qualifies as business casual, either. Shoot! Shopping spree (Mom...? hehe). I also should get some scrubs.
I have been looking at housing a little bit over the past couple weeks, e-mailed a few people, and now have to try to figure out when to try to get down to Ames. I am way excited. 🙂
Real happy to see this thread bumped. I have had my eye on it and have been a little disappointed with the lack of action(and haven't had a whole lot to contribute)! 🙂
Good luck to everyone with the housing situations! Keep us updated.
😀
 
Wow, things must have changed since my wife graduated in 2006. The dress code was more like 'don't wear anything inappropriate'. I know some guys wore hats though and on thursdays guys didn't have to wear ties or suits. I also know there was more than a couple of times my wife went to class in a hoodie. I'm curious to find out how strictly the dress code is enforced.

Anyway, we just verbally bought a trailer in Creekside so it's good to know we have a place to live. We're actually moving June 1st so I need to find a summer job in Ames soon.

I can't believe how close it's getting to starting classes. I know this summer is going to fly! See you all soon.
 
Don't freak out about the dress code, guys! Thursday is really the only day we need to "dress up". Most people wear jeans/t-shirts/nicer-but-not-dressy shirts the other days of the week (just don't wear anything on the "inappropriate attire" list).

There's no need to invest in a new wardrobe; if you don't have business-y clothing you can just start by getting a pair of dress pants/skirt and a top or two. Nobody will notice (or care) if you wear the same thing each week 🙂
 
Oh, and for textbooks - if you want to wait on purchasing them, your sophomore contact may want to pawn theirs off on you/let you borrow and you will probably be bombarded by emails later in the summer from other students selling theirs. If you don't want to wait I would highly suggest scouting around the internet... some of them will be significantly cheaper. And if you're not much of a textbook reader and don't want to purchase any, the library will have them on reserve for you to utilize when you want to.

If you still haven't had any luck finding furniture by August, GSDgirl, the Christian Veterinary Fellowship usually holds a rummage sale the weekend before classes start.

Good luck on your job search, Morganator!

Oh, and if anyone will be visiting/moving to Ames after May 15th (I'm skipping town briefly after finals), I'd be happy to show you around the school/Ames, or talk about classes or whatever. Just PM me.
 
Hello All! So it looks like I'm joining the ranks! Haven't done anything but accept the spot on the phone. I need to wait for the packet now. Is there a facebook group for ISU 2014? If not, should I/we start one?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hello All! So it looks like I'm joining the ranks! Haven't done anything but accept the spot on the phone. I need to wait for the packet now. Is there a facebook group for ISU 2014? If not, should I/we start one?

I don't think there is one... so YES! You should start one! 🙂
 
Soooo excited to see this thread up agian!!! Does anyone know what the process is for registering for classes?? Do they just sign us up for the recommended courses?
 
Soooo excited to see this thread up agian!!! Does anyone know what the process is for registering for classes?? Do they just sign us up for the recommended courses?

One of the wonderful OASA ladies will schedule your fall classes for you. You'll also get a list of electives at some point, and you can just let her know if you'd like to take any.
 
Don't freak out about the dress code, guys! Thursday is really the only day we need to "dress up". Most people wear jeans/t-shirts/nicer-but-not-dressy shirts the other days of the week (just don't wear anything on the "inappropriate attire" list).

There's no need to invest in a new wardrobe; if you don't have business-y clothing you can just start by getting a pair of dress pants/skirt and a top or two. Nobody will notice (or care) if you wear the same thing each week 🙂

Seriously??? I'm in a contract state, so I guess the "dress up" day won't apply until two years from now...but you have to wear "dressy" clothes on Thursday? I don't even own a nice shirt or slacks! I HATE dressing up. Any chance they'll let it slide with khakis and a nice t-shirt? Would they make you go home and change?
 
Took the plunge and started a Facebook group for our class...
"Iowa State University CVM Class of 2014"


I set it as a closed group (so you have to request to join) to respect all of our privacy. See you all there.

 
Took the plunge and started a Facebook group for our class...
"Iowa State University CVM Class of 2014"


I set it as a closed group (so you have to request to join) to respect all of our privacy. See you all there.


Probably a stupid question here, but if we join the class page is everyone that's part of the group able to view each other's pictures and such?
 
Probably a stupid question here, but if we join the class page is everyone that's part of the group able to view each other's pictures and such?

Admittedly, I suck at Facebook (if that's even possible), but I think you can only see the information that "shows up" before someone has friend-requested you. So you're name, location, profile pic, etc. show up, but the rest (photo albums, "interests," etc.) is off-limits unless you've "friended" someone.
 
Admittedly, I suck at Facebook (if that's even possible), but I think you can only see the information that "shows up" before someone has friend-requested you. So you're name, location, profile pic, etc. show up, but the rest (photo albums, "interests," etc.) is off-limits unless you've "friended" someone.

Thanks - that makes sense.
 
So what are we going to do with our new Facebook page?! I'm excited to see that we're up to 11 members already! Good job, jpeterman13. Are all of the SDN ISU'ers on FB? [HandD42, I'm looking at you--did you join yet? Us non-trad's/lab people have to stick together... 🙂]

(PS, GSDgirl = Carlie, if you haven't figured that out). Can I "friend" you guys?

:laugh: I know, it's crazy how quick we got to 11. I'm pumped for this. I think that housing is a good place to start on the FB page...it's what I'm most concerned about at the moment anyways. Anyone who wouldn't mind me adding them as an admin let me know...I feel weird being the only one lol (jpeterman13 = Casey btw). and YES, add me!
 
:laugh: I know, it's crazy how quick we got to 11. I'm pumped for this. I think that housing is a good place to start on the FB page...it's what I'm most concerned about at the moment anyways. Anyone who wouldn't mind me adding them as an admin let me know...I feel weird being the only one lol (jpeterman13 = Casey btw). and YES, add me!

I wouldn't mind if you added me as an admin...
 
Seriously??? I'm in a contract state, so I guess the "dress up" day won't apply until two years from now...but you have to wear "dressy" clothes on Thursday? I don't even own a nice shirt or slacks! I HATE dressing up. Any chance they'll let it slide with khakis and a nice t-shirt? Would they make you go home and change?

Khakis would be fine, but I'm not sure about nicer t-shirts as a weekly thing. Part of the reason for requiring us to dress up on Thursdays is that a lot of important people/donors/potential donors/etc. tour the building then. Also, the dress code is peer/faculty-enforced and I'm not entirely sure what happens if somebody decides that you aren't professionally dressed. I'm sure they also realize that people do forget it's Thursday--I did, for the first one of the year and did not have anything said by me (though I had somehow managed to wear a nicer, plain shirt, and one of my classmates kindly lent me her jacket). If you are a repeat offender you may just get a 'professionalism' spiel or the entire class may be addressed--but, again, I'm not entirely sure.

I have no idea if UNL has a similar dress-up day or dress code... that may be worth looking into, just in case.

Admittedly, I suck at Facebook (if that's even possible), but I think you can only see the information that "shows up" before someone has friend-requested you. So you're name, location, profile pic, etc. show up, but the rest (photo albums, "interests," etc.) is off-limits unless you've "friended" someone.

If I remember correctly, the default privacy settings for Facebook allow everyone to see your profile, photos, etc., so you would need to edit your privacy settings (if you have not already) to prevent people from seeing your stuff.
 
Thanks for that - good to know. Maybe I'll just have to get off my high horse and buy a nice shirt 😉 Uggh! When I have my own vet practice, it's going to be scrubs only! 😀
 
Well I feel slightly better about the dress code, seems like the real important day is Thurs, and just a few outfits rotated in and out will probably suffice.

So are jeans allowed during the other days of the week? I don't mind buying some non-t shirt tops but I would hate to have to stop wearing jeans.

Also I don't want to jinx myself but I am going down to Ames on Thurs to sign the papers on my new place. Yeah👍 and :scared: all at the same time!
 
So are jeans allowed during the other days of the week? I don't mind buying some non-t shirt tops but I would hate to have to stop wearing jeans.

Absolutely! Most of us wear jeans 4 days a week; they just have to look nice and not have holes.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So... is anyone living in the trailer parks? It would be so convenient. I'm just not so sure I'm sold on the itty bitty trailer idea!
 
So... is anyone living in the trailer parks? It would be so convenient. I'm just not so sure I'm sold on the itty bitty trailer idea!

That has been my plan thus far. I really like the idea of being so close to school. I'm bringing my dog (most likely) and want to have plenty of time to come let her out at lunch. I was thinking about leaving her with my brother for the first semester though to see how things will go for me time-wise. I figure that there will be a ton of things going on at lunch and don't want to have to miss out because I need to let her out. I've emailed a few people in the trailers who are looking for roommates. I don't know if I should wait though to see if more "units" become available after May.
 
FWIW, I love my trailer. Size-wise, mine's only a 10x60 (many of the others are 12x60) and it's got more than enough space for 1 person, a cat, and a dog currently pushing 100lbs.

If you're interested in purchasing a trailer I would start looking now as the nicer and/or cheaper ones tend to go fast. Same if you want to rent a room, particularly from an upperclassman - my sophomore contact already has about 9 people interested in rooming with her next year.

As far as dogs and our schedules go, I'd say that fall is the better time to get yours used to things. They really do a good job of easing you into the curriculum. Also, your schedule is a bit lighter as far as number and number of "bigger" classes (i.e. the harder ones or ones you need to spend a lot of time on). Most days you can also get home for lunch well before noon... not so much with spring. If you've got your ISU netID you can access VetZone (on the site's main page) and take a look at the schedules yourself.
 
So... is anyone living in the trailer parks? It would be so convenient. I'm just not so sure I'm sold on the itty bitty trailer idea!

Raises hand! Yep, I am signing on for an itty bitty trailer. I am really excited about it though as it is sooo close to school and I don't have to pay extra for my pup.
 
So... is anyone living in the trailer parks? It would be so convenient. I'm just not so sure I'm sold on the itty bitty trailer idea!

Yep, my wife and I have 'verbally' purchased one in the Creekside trailer park now that they allow dogs.
 
Anyone else a little disappointed orientation is during the state fair. Not wanting to be the complainer, but I was hoping to show with the family and it might not work out so well this year.
 
Just had to be a geek and announce that I signed the papers on my trailer yesterday!!!! Woohoo! And I even cut the grass at my new abode as well.

Definitely feel relived now that I have a place to live with my dog set up for the fall. Of course I wont be moving there officially until Aug.
 
Just had to be a geek and announce that I signed the papers on my trailer yesterday!!!! Woohoo! And I even cut the grass at my new abode as well.

Definitely feel relived now that I have a place to live with my dog set up for the fall. Of course I wont be moving there officially until Aug.

Congratulations! :woot: I'm so jealous. I LOVED Ames.

Sorry for posting on the Iowa State forum, but I still lurk here a lot to see what I'm missing. 🙂
 
Sorry for posting on the Iowa State forum, but I still lurk here a lot to see what I'm missing. 🙂

Please, lurk! I keep watching for this thread to bump up (I'm obviously bored and putting off my "real" responsibilities to keep up with SDN--any post is better than no post! 🙄).

Plus, parietal, you can visit us ISU'ers any time...
 
Please, lurk! I keep watching for this thread to bump up (I'm obviously bored and putting off my "real" responsibilities to keep up with SDN--any post is better than no post! 🙄).

Plus, parietal, you can visit us ISU'ers any time...

Yeah I'll ditto this! 😉
 
I'm curious, of those that have said yes from in state, both the original acceptances and those off of the wait list, are there any that are still considering declining?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To those of you that have done this already, how did you set up your ISU e-mail account? And AccessPlus? I'm just not sure where to initiate the set-up. I feel a little lost. haha 🙂
Thanks!
 
I got called off the IS waiting list for U of MN. I can't say no the the IS tuition either. I have to say I really liked ISU a whole lot better. I am so sorry to not be with you at Iowa. Have fun!
 
Congratulations! :woot: I'm so jealous. I LOVED Ames.

Sorry for posting on the Iowa State forum, but I still lurk here a lot to see what I'm missing. 🙂


I have to admit, I'm an ISU lurker, as well... I fell in love with the school and had to make a pretty tough decision... I still hope it was the right one?
 
I got called off the IS waiting list for U of MN. I can't say no the the IS tuition either. I have to say I really liked ISU a whole lot better. I am so sorry to not be with you at Iowa. Have fun!

Good luck at MN!!!!

Its a shame Iowa state's OOS tuition is so high, really can't compete with an IS offer.
 
So I just wanted to say hi to all of you because after much debate I have decided to officially (and VERY happily) become an ISUer!! 😍😍 I can't wait to meet you all in August! I feel like it's sooo far away, but I know it's really not and the summer is going to fly by. Anyways, just wanted to say HI!! 🙂
 
Last edited: