Iowa State c/o 2014!

Started by parietal
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone received thier acceptance packet yet?!?!?

Yep! Just came in the mail today. Although it is all the same info that is on their website under "Class of 2014" link.

I did put the acceptance letter on the 'fridge though. 😀
 
Mine arrived too. The card from the Dean was another nice touch. 😀
 
It was a nice touch, makes me love their school even more. Such a shame that their OOS price tag is so high...
 
Congrats to all who have been accepted!!! This certainly is an exciting time.

If you have any questions about anything, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Best of luck to those on the waitlist...April 15 is closer than it seems. Hang in there.
 
Looks like I'll be meeting you guys pretty soon! I'm officially going to Iowa! I won't be with you guys for the first two years because I'm in a contract state, but I'm sure there will be times when our classes get together. 🙂
 
Looks like I'll be meeting you guys pretty soon! I'm officially going to Iowa! I won't be with you guys for the first two years because I'm in a contract state, but I'm sure there will be times when our classes get together. 🙂

Yay! Another ISUer! Are you by any chance from Nebraska? [I don't mean to pry, but I think the Nebraska students still come for the orientation stuff... if this is the case, we'll still all meet before classes start.] 🙂

(Not that this is important, but my card came today. Another 🙂 for that.)
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yay! Another ISUer! Are you by any chance from Nebraska? [I don't mean to pry, but I think the Nebraska students still come for the orientation stuff... if this is the case, we'll still all meet before classes start.] 🙂

Yep I am! Looking forward to it!
 
Well add another one to the list.

Looks like I will be joining you guys at ISU!!!

Minnesota doesn't know what they are missing 😉

Anyone want a roomie? I come with a loveable springer and cockatiel, both of whom can be mind-numblingly loud :whistle:
 
Yay! Another Minnesotan! ISU was infinitely more welcoming than the U of MN, weren't they? I look forward to meeting all of you in August!
 
Yay! Another Minnesotan! ISU was infinitely more welcoming than the U of MN, weren't they? I look forward to meeting all of you in August!

Oh I am more then convinced ISU is an amazing place, just getting cold shivers at the OOS price tag.
 
Agreed with the OOS price tag...scary stuff, i dont think i have even made 50K in high school/college life and am going to be spending that much a year!
 
Agreed with the OOS price tag...scary stuff, i dont think i have even made 50K in high school/college life and am going to be spending that much a year!

Hahah, yeah I just watched the taped financial aid info session (missed it on interview day) where the counselor warned against taking the full loan package offered because you can't buy a practice with 200k in debt and companies run credit reports prior to hiring.

Umm, gulp? Your OOS tution alone (no living expenses) is 150,000 (and that does not take into account tuition raises during the 4 years)

It would be fantastic to only take that much out and live in a box and eat um, air.
 
Well add another one to the list.

Looks like I will be joining you guys at ISU!!!

Minnesota doesn't know what they are missing 😉

Anyone want a roomie? I come with a loveable springer and cockatiel, both of whom can be mind-numblingly loud :whistle:

I am with ya there! I think my interviewers at U of M didn't really like me.... gah! I also LOVED ISU much more than U of M, but the pricetag is hefty. We'll make it through! I'm not from MN, but I am doing my undergrad here and I look forward to leaving this frozen tundra. (Iowa isn't a whole lot better, but hey, it's a step in the right direction!)
So excited to meet you all!
 
So I think I'm going to have to turn down ISU in favor of my in-state school, Minnesota. I would have loved to have you all as my classmates and hope that we'll all still get to meet someday. Maybe SCAVMA next year?
 
So I think I'm going to have to turn down ISU in favor of my in-state school, Minnesota. I would have loved to have you all as my classmates and hope that we'll all still get to meet someday. Maybe SCAVMA next year?


I saw that you posted in the MN forum, so I was wondering if you were going to post something like this here.... Good luck at MN! 🙂
 
I saw that you posted in the MN forum, so I was wondering if you were going to post something like this here.... Good luck at MN! 🙂

Thanks, GSDgirl. It was a hard decision because Iowa State has so much to offer, but I think it's the best choice for me. It would have been difficult to sell my farm up here in this economy. In-state tuition is always a nice bonus, too, although I fully expect Minnesota's tuition to jump quite a bit this year.

Hope you all have a great time at Iowa State!
 
I'll be turning down Iowa as well. I've gotten in elsewhere that is cheaper and closer to my family, so I just can't reconcile the pricetag.
 
Where is the lucky place Q?
I got in at Illinois, where all my family is a short hop skip and a jump away, and I'm still waiting to hear from Davis, which would be amazing and would be my in state. Both of those I'd take over Iowa 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Good luck to both of you, parietal and quantized!!! 👍

HandD42, have you totally given up on U of Minn?

Yep🙁

I am 27/30 on the WL and I have never heard of them going past 15 on the IS WL. So I am taking my WL position as a nice rejection (ie close but no cigar). It has been especially frustrating because MN admission is 75% based on interview and subjective qualities so it is hard knowing I blew my chances there by bombing the interview (ie I held my future in my hands and couldn't make it happen).

Anyway I talked to my boss about it and all he said was my thoughts and goals must be more in line with ISU then MN since I got an acceptance here and (basically) a rejection there. So that is a good spin on it. Especially since (to me at least) the interviews at both places felt identical.

I do still have a (high number) WL spot at WI I am maybe hopeful about as their OOS tuition is about 15k less then ISU but for all intents and purposes I am planning on moving down to Ames and starting at ISU in August. That is as long as I can get the financial aid to work down there. I *think* I have even found a place to board my horse when I get down there😀 (huge relief off my mind).
 
Hey fellow Iowa peeps!

Have any OOSers been looking at housing yet? My bf keeps reminding me classes don't start for 5 months, but I am kind of OCD about change....

Just wondering what other people are thinking as far as living situations. I want to find a room to rent somewhere but am having super bad flashbacks to my horrifying freshman roommate in college. What a completely miserable year of my life. :scared:
 
Hey fellow Iowa peeps!

Have any OOSers been looking at housing yet? My bf keeps reminding me classes don't start for 5 months, but I am kind of OCD about change....

Just wondering what other people are thinking as far as living situations. I want to find a room to rent somewhere but am having super bad flashbacks to my horrifying freshman roommate in college. What a completely miserable year of my life. :scared:

Here is the link to a thread I started last year about the housing options in Ames. If you have any questions, feel free to ask! Hope this helps. See you in the fall!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=627732
 
Hey fellow Iowa peeps!

Have any OOSers been looking at housing yet? My bf keeps reminding me classes don't start for 5 months, but I am kind of OCD about change....

Just wondering what other people are thinking as far as living situations. I want to find a room to rent somewhere but am having super bad flashbacks to my horrifying freshman roommate in college. What a completely miserable year of my life. :scared:

I have leisurely started looking at housing for the fall, kinda. I had a miserable freshman year too! Ugh it was horrendous 😱. So I have kinda been waiting for someone to post something like this, hehehe, glad I'm not the only OCD one!
It doesn't really seem like there are a whole lot of options yet on the housing list sent out by ISU. I am assuming the number of available rooms will increase as the semester comes to a close. I'm terrible at waiting though. uffda.
 
I have leisurely started looking at housing for the fall, kinda. I had a miserable freshman year too! Ugh it was horrendous 😱. So I have kinda been waiting for someone to post something like this, hehehe, glad I'm not the only OCD one!
It doesn't really seem like there are a whole lot of options yet on the housing list sent out by ISU. I am assuming the number of available rooms will increase as the semester comes to a close. I'm terrible at waiting though. uffda.

Are you thinking apartment/duplex or finding a spot somewhere in the trailer park? I like the idea of the low cost over there and being able to walk to class but I am not sure if it would be overwhelming to be in class for 8 hours and then be surrounded by the exact same people when you get home. Maybe too much like an undergrad experience, not really sure? I read the old thread kayakman linked to and I don't think it is much of a party zone out there not sure about clique type issues though.

Also does anyone know if students can hang out/observe at the hospitals. I think I remember from the tour that the large animal side is pretty laid back about students observing but the small animal side is a not as easy.
 
Hey fellow Iowa peeps!

Have any OOSers been looking at housing yet? My bf keeps reminding me classes don't start for 5 months, but I am kind of OCD about change....

Just wondering what other people are thinking as far as living situations. I want to find a room to rent somewhere but am having super bad flashbacks to my horrifying freshman roommate in college. What a completely miserable year of my life. :scared:

I've been actively looking, but unfortunately I have to wait to find out where my wife finds a job, and also am more than likely going to have to buy something since we have 3 dogs. What really sucks is that a townhouse would be perfect but many of them have dog restrictions also. Along with selling our current house, this is proving to be the most challenging part of heading to vet school. I'll be much happier when we're settled and class is starting 👍
 
Yeah! Glad to see this thread picking up a bit. So many people have ditched us for *cheaper* IS or OOS options 🙄
 
Are you thinking apartment/duplex or finding a spot somewhere in the trailer park? I like the idea of the low cost over there and being able to walk to class but I am not sure if it would be overwhelming to be in class for 8 hours and then be surrounded by the exact same people when you get home. Maybe too much like an undergrad experience, not really sure? I read the old thread kayakman linked to and I don't think it is much of a party zone out there not sure about clique type issues though.

Also does anyone know if students can hang out/observe at the hospitals. I think I remember from the tour that the large animal side is pretty laid back about students observing but the small animal side is a not as easy.

You know, this is something I have kinda been thinking about, and I'm not really sure. I mean the convenience of the trailer park would be awesome. I haven't yet had to drive to class throughout my undergrad and I really like that. But the whole trailer park thing... yeah I am a little skeptical. haha. But an apartment would be nice too. Just not sure!
My tour guides made it sound like it is both encouraged and fairly easy to get in and observe at the hospital.....
 
Does anyone know what kind of computer we use at ISU? I didn't see it listed on the website and was curious about what model we would all be using.
 
I like the idea of the low cost over there and being able to walk to class but I am not sure if it would be overwhelming to be in class for 8 hours and then be surrounded by the exact same people when you get home.
But the whole trailer park thing... yeah I am a little skeptical. haha. But an apartment would be nice too.
It's entirely possible to live in the trailers and not feel like you're surrounded by all of your classmates 24/7; my trailer feels kind of like its own little world (though I'd imagine an apartment or house would feel the same). And the park itself isn't really all that "trailer park-y" since it's mostly students. It all just depends on what you're looking for; I chose the trailers because I wanted to be able to walk to class, I have a 95+lb GSD mix who I knew would be joining me eventually (which knocks out most of the apartments I looked into), and my monthly expenses are cheaper than if I rented out a similar (2 bedroom) apartment. I didn't look much into renting a house because of the trailers' proximity to vet med.

If you wouldn't mind a roommate you could always 'test' the trailers out by renting a room.

Also does anyone know if students can hang out/observe at the hospitals. I think I remember from the tour that the large animal side is pretty laid back about students observing but the small animal side is a not as easy.
As per the hospital, you can definitely hang/out observe. My understanding is that it's a little easier on the large animal side, but I know people who regularly spend time in ICU after class as well as those who go to the large animal side.

Does anyone know what kind of computer we use at ISU? I didn't see it listed on the website and was curious about what model we would all be using.
We (class of 2013) have a Fujitsu Lifebook T5010, so you 2014'ers will probably have the newest similar model.

If you have any other questions, don't hesitate to ask!
 
As per the hospital, you can definitely hang/out observe. My understanding is that it's a little easier on the large animal side, but I know people who regularly spend time in ICU after class as well as those who go to the large animal side.

Do we need to have the observations cleared or scheduled ahead of time?
 
I have been bit by the housing bug as well. I have just figured out that I will be moving down there without the fiance and just wanted to know if any Minnesotans would like to get together to perhaps chat about getting an apartment or something similar. I am still not positive about roomate stuff...I also had a bad freshman year experience...but if anyone is interested then at least we know the option exists and we can actually meet and make sure we get along.
 
I have been bit by the housing bug as well. I have just figured out that I will be moving down there without the fiance and just wanted to know if any Minnesotans would like to get together to perhaps chat about getting an apartment or something similar. I am still not positive about roomate stuff...I also had a bad freshman year experience...but if anyone is interested then at least we know the option exists and we can actually meet and make sure we get along.

Raises hand, pm me lets talk 🙂
 
I am not a 'Minnesotan', but I do go to school in Minnesota, does that count? 🙂
I am interested in finding a roomie as well! 🙂
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Since we're all impatiently beginning the housing search 🙂rolleyes🙂, I've got a couple of questions for everyone:

1. When are you planning a trip to Ames to look?

2. Is there a time that's best? (Is it better to go sooner rather than later? Or is May/June better? I know that when I was living in Madison, the "time to look" was early--as in before May--if you wanted more housing options. But I know every place is different...).
 
I've been stalking craigslist pretty hard core but haven't found a whole ton to be interested in. I have a dog and bird so that limits choices.

Also a lot of the places I've liked have May 1 vacancy and I am not paying for an entire summer I wont be there for🙁

Also looking for a roomie...seems like there are some promising pet friendly houses/duplexes in Ames but I can't afford it w/out a roomie.
 
Last edited:
Do we need to have the observations cleared or scheduled ahead of time?

Sorry for the delay in answering! As far as I know (I haven't actually wandered around the clinics yet...) you don't necessarily need to schedule the observations ahead of time, but you can if you want to. You just need to be wearing your name tag and snag a clinician/VM4 to clear it with them at the time. Also, both large and small animal surgeries have viewing windows so you can just kind stop in the hall if you see something interesting.

Were you able to find any "dog-friendly" apartments? (Or do you know of any?)

You know, I don't remember if I was--what I do remember is that apartments with no size restriction tended to have breed restrictions (note: this may have changed). I know that a few people with larger dogs rent houses to avoid this issue.

Is there a time that's best? (Is it better to go sooner rather than later? Or is May/June better? I know that when I was living in Madison, the "time to look" was early--as in before May--if you wanted more housing options. But I know every place is different...).

It's best to look sooner rather than later. Apartments have already started to advertise (aimed largely at undergrads), as have people looking to sell their trailer, so I'd start browsing the internet now and visit as soon as you can.