Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When I asked they had 3 seats out and she said they had until mid next week to reply
This makes me so sad

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like I'll be applying again
Third time is the charm right?

Reactions: 2 users
Looks like I'll be applying again
Third time is the charm right?
I think I’ll be applying again for next year. We’re you able to use the same recommendation letters or did you need new ones?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I’ll be applying again for next year. We’re you able to use the same recommendation letters or did you need new ones?
Each cycle you need to request new letters from your recommenders. Whether they write a new one or use the old one is up to them, but if youve been continuing to work with them, it’s probably best for them to write a new one because they should know you better

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, look at the bright side. Most info transfers over from our last application, so the most tedious parts of the application will be done except for updates, and we all get to continue to see each other's bright faces :D

Well, there is that fat application payment again... :dead:

Each cycle you need to request new letters from your recommenders. Whether they write a new one or use the old one is up to them, but if youve been continuing to work with them, it’s probably best for them to write a new one because they should know you better
Thank you for your reply!

What SkiOtter said lol
You just send the request and your evaluators pretty much decide whether or not to use the same letter

Reactions: 1 user
Hey, look at the bright side. Most info transfers over from our last application, so the most tedious parts of the application will be done except for updates, and we all get to continue to see each other's bright faces :D

Well, there is that fat application payment again... :dead:
I just about cried happy tears when I saw I didn’t have to enter all of that again last cycle. And all of my transcripts that were sent directly to vmcas were still good and so I didn’t have to submit them again (on the check status page it said they were received the year prior and so I called and the help line said that they still were there and I didn’t need to resend them, so if anyone’s say that, call and ask)

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Just got a post in the co 2022 Facebook page that we are one person away from filling the class! But Dr. Howard said this could still change between now and the start of classes

Does anyone know how we’re supposed to send our transcripts for Spring 2018? Mail or email? I know we had to send the previous ones by mail, but email is easier.

Does anyone know how we’re supposed to send our transcripts for Spring 2018? Mail or email? I know we had to send the previous ones by mail, but email is easier.
I emailed mine, and they were recieved.

Just got the email update: the class is currently full

I’m just wondering f the waitlist positions rollover to the next application cycle. I ended 37 on the waitlist and want to know if I should just reapply next year or if I should just head to across.

Thank you for answering. It was just a rumor I heard and wanted to verify.
Plus if you improve your application in the year since previously applying, you potentially could be higher. Or if there are a bunch of more qualified applicants, you could potentially be lower even if you improved your application a lot. Each cycle you’re competing against a new set of candidates so what would get you in during one cycle doesn’t necessarily mean you would get in a different cycle. That’s why people on here strongly recommend thinking about it for a while before turning down an acceptance to try another cycle because there is no guarantee you’d even get in anywhere that next cycle.

I got excited and created a c/o 2023 page if anyone's interested lol :D

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the exact post...what books have past VM1 students got/not got and made it through the year? Preferably which ones I could do without? Thank you in advance to any responses.

I know this has been asked before, but I can't find the exact post...what books have past VM1 students got/not got and made it through the year? Preferably which ones I could do without? Thank you in advance to any responses.
You can check out the ISU CVM Buy/Sell/Trade page for book options and I think this question has been asked there too but I'll tell you what I used.
- Nutrition and Histo/Phys you'll definitely want Duke's
- Histo/Phys I used the color atlas to help with studying slides since some pictures may not be exactly the same as from lab
- Anatomy to be honest I basically just used Swamy's notes and didnt use the book much
- Neuroanatomy second semester is a must
- The large animal dissection guide is pretty much a must as well for second semester

Looks like this post is about where that discussion initially started, if you're wanting multiple opinions:
Iowa State c/o 2022 applicants

I’m just wondering f the waitlist positions rollover to the next application cycle. I ended 37 on the waitlist and want to know if I should just reapply next year or if I should just head to across.
Nancy,
I don't think they rollover but I heard that Iowa adds points if you applied before and did an application review. I would highly recommend getting feedback on your application. They gave me a nice document with notes from the admissions committee on how to improve and how my GPA's compared with accepted applicants. I applied back in 2014 and did an application review and reapplied the last cycle and got in for this fall, off the waitlist. On the other hand, I applied to LMU and had interviewed twice there and was waitlisted last year and then wasn't even invited for an interview this cycle. They told me to enroll in an on-campus graduate program, and I applied to theirs and was not accepted even though I was on the waitlist for vet school. I did ask them for feedback as to why I did not get an interview, and they said they were not doing app reviews due to the sheer number of inquiries received. It was somewhat disheartening.
On the other hand, Iowa was incredibly helpful and nice, and the reason I chose Iowa is that after visiting I just fell in love with the professors and culture there. I wanted to go to Iowa over my in-state school. You can PM me if you have questions!