-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Iowa State C/O 2025 Hopefuls
Started by tayla96
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
D
deleted676737
I was waiting for this thread to pop up!
I attended ISU-CVM for two years (was c/o 2020) and have kept up pretty well with changes in the admissions procedure and requirements since then, so I should be able to answer most questions. There's also @Barkley13 and @Doggo Labs , who are current third year students, and @genny is a c/o 2017 graduate.
Good luck, everyone. 🙂
I attended ISU-CVM for two years (was c/o 2020) and have kept up pretty well with changes in the admissions procedure and requirements since then, so I should be able to answer most questions. There's also @Barkley13 and @Doggo Labs , who are current third year students, and @genny is a c/o 2017 graduate.
Good luck, everyone. 🙂
LaineyLou
Full Member
I was waiting for this thread to pop up!
I attended ISU-CVM for two years (was c/o 2020) and have kept up pretty well with changes in the admissions procedure and requirements since then, so I should be able to answer most questions. There's also @Barkley13 and @Doggo Labs , who are current third year students, and @genny is a c/o 2017 graduate.
Good luck, everyone. 🙂
We’re you OOS or IS when you got in?
D
deleted676737
I was IS.We’re you OOS or IS when you got in?
LaineyLou
Full Member
I was IS.
Did you graduate from there? Did you transfer from somewhere else? How was your experience with ISU?
D
deleted676737
I did not graduate; I left halfway through the program and am no longer in vet med at all. I've told the story of what happened multiple times over the years (you can search my post history if you're really interested; I don't want to bring down the mood of an applicants thread with it).Did you graduate from there? Did you transfer from somewhere else? How was your experience with ISU?
That said, I enjoyed my time at ISU for the most part.
LaineyLou
Full Member
I did not graduate; I left halfway through the program and am no longer in vet med at all. I've told the story of what happened multiple times over the years (you can search my post history if you're really interested; I don't want to bring down the mood of an applicants thread with it).
That said, I enjoyed my time at ISU for the most part.
Gotcha! It’s good to hear you enjoyed your time!
Second time applying, first time applying to Iowa! OOS, non- traditional applicant! Super excited!
arialexis
Full Member
I’d love to hear from a current ISU student about their experience at Iowa! I had Iowa on my list to apply but decided to take it off since I didn’t know much about the program from a students perspective (and applying to vet school is expensive[emoji30]). But I’d consider adding it back if people had a good experience to share!
I'm a current 4th year so perusing the forum on my minimal down time on ICU right now. I really have enjoyed my experience here at ISU and am one of the ambassadors so if any of you have questions please feel free to message me!
bdominello
Full Member
First time OOS applicant! Super excited.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi all, finishing up my supplementals & essays right now to submit, and I'm running into a question about ISU's supplemental application. When it states "college activities/awards", do we think this means only during undergrad or while taking ANY college classes? I don't have any science-related activities from undergrad, but I do have a number of activities and awards that have nothing to do with vet med lol, trying to figure out which ones should go where.
Hi y'all! First time applicant, out of state 🙂
nevadaalum2019
Full Member
Hey everyone! First time applicant (got scared and didn't submit last year lol), OOS 🙂
atlanticaccra
Full Member
Hello! First time applicant, OOS here!
12FutureVet12
Full Member
Hi Everyone! First time applicant, out of state!
atlanticaccra
Full Member
Does anyone else's portal say academic review for status? Mine was just changed today!
LaineyLou
Full Member
Does anyone else's portal say academic review for status? Mine was just changed today!
Mine says that too!
Mine says “none”Mine says that too!
Mine too!Mine says “none”
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
12FutureVet12
Full Member
Mine says “none”
Mine says "none" too! My VMCAS was verified about a week ago, so hopefully it will change soon!
arialexis
Full Member
Mine says “none”
Mine also still says “none,” although I did submit my Iowa State app right before the deadline. From past threads, it sounds like they eventually move everyone’s application status to “under academic review” to make sure applicants meet the minimum GPA requirements for that year, and once you pass that, they eventually move you to “under committee review” where they review the rest of your app before making a decision!
Same here! I’m hoping they are just going in order so they just haven’t gotten to us yetMine says "none" too! My VMCAS was verified about a week ago, so hopefully it will change soon!
Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year here at ISU CVM and am willing to answer any questions you guys have about Iowa, or the vet school here. Granted in times like this my experiences are a bit different than what 2nd years went through or what you may go through as a 1st year, but still happy to answer any questions!
About me: Originally from Pennsylvania, took a gap year then applied to vet school, got in my first time. I was waitlisted at ISU but low on the list and got off quick (they do eventually give you what number you are on the waitlist). I'm most interested in large animal/swine, very little interest to work at a dog/cat clinic so you can call me a bit untraditional in that aspect. I am also applying for the DVM/MPH program ISU offers in conjunction w/ University of Iowa. I'd highly recommend looking into it for anyone interested in food animal medicine, public health, or government/industry style veterinarian jobs! Just another perk ISU has to offer!
About me: Originally from Pennsylvania, took a gap year then applied to vet school, got in my first time. I was waitlisted at ISU but low on the list and got off quick (they do eventually give you what number you are on the waitlist). I'm most interested in large animal/swine, very little interest to work at a dog/cat clinic so you can call me a bit untraditional in that aspect. I am also applying for the DVM/MPH program ISU offers in conjunction w/ University of Iowa. I'd highly recommend looking into it for anyone interested in food animal medicine, public health, or government/industry style veterinarian jobs! Just another perk ISU has to offer!
mteleha_sharpe
Full Member
Hey everyone, I am a second time applicant but first time applying to Iowa 🙂
I'm curious is the MPH/DVM program competitive to get into?Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year here at ISU CVM and am willing to answer any questions you guys have about Iowa, or the vet school here. Granted in times like this my experiences are a bit different than what 2nd years went through or what you may go through as a 1st year, but still happy to answer any questions!
About me: Originally from Pennsylvania, took a gap year then applied to vet school, got in my first time. I was waitlisted at ISU but low on the list and got off quick (they do eventually give you what number you are on the waitlist). I'm most interested in large animal/swine, very little interest to work at a dog/cat clinic so you can call me a bit untraditional in that aspect. I am also applying for the DVM/MPH program ISU offers in conjunction w/ University of Iowa. I'd highly recommend looking into it for anyone interested in food animal medicine, public health, or government/industry style veterinarian jobs! Just another perk ISU has to offer!
I dont think so. I'm in Class of 2022 and theres about 5 students in my class doing the program, and I think they all got in very easily.I'm curious is the MPH/DVM program competitive to get into?
12FutureVet12
Full Member
Anyone under committee review yet?
No, but I now have a section on my application for my calculated GPA's, so that is new!
atlanticaccra
Full Member
Same here!No, but I now have a section on my application for my calculated GPA's, so that is new!
LaineyLou
Full Member
No, but I now have a section on my application for my calculated GPA's, so that is new!
Mine is just my science gpa not my last 45 yet
12FutureVet12
Full Member
Mine is just my science gpa not my last 45 yet
Mine didn't have either listed at that point, just a place for them to be entered. I just went to check and an error message came up that said "site offline", so maybe they're working on stuff now?
mteleha_sharpe
Full Member
Is anyone else GPA still not calculated?
Mine hasn’t updated eitherIs anyone else GPA still not calculated?
mteleha_sharpe
Full Member
My application still says received does yoursMine hasn’t updated either
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Mine is like this and i submitted it 1-2 weeks before the deadline but I have been verified by VMCAS 🙂, I’m just assuming it’s taking them some time to work through it, especially with covid regulations/working from home.My application still says received does yours
Last edited:
I dont think the DVM/MPH program is competitive. From what I've heard from upperclassmen I've talked to is that they don't know anyone who was denied itI'm curious is the MPH/DVM program competitive to get into?
My application still only says received and submitted, slightly worried.
Mine also says that, I am OOS and was verified by VMCAS on 10/6! I bet they just have a lot to work through and its nothing to worry about!My application still only says received and submitted, slightly worried.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 323
- Views
- 52K