Iowa State C/O 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tayla96

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I haven't seen a thread created yet for this cycle for Iowa State so I wanted to go ahead and start one. Any other second time people applying?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I’m a second time applicant first time Iowa state! I’m super pumped and hopeful! I’m an OOS student!

Second time applicant, first time to Iowa, OOS non-traditional :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was waiting for this thread to pop up!

I attended ISU-CVM for two years (was c/o 2020) and have kept up pretty well with changes in the admissions procedure and requirements since then, so I should be able to answer most questions. There's also @Barkley13 and @Doggo Labs , who are current third year students, and @genny is a c/o 2017 graduate.

Good luck, everyone. :)

Reactions: 3 users
I was waiting for this thread to pop up!

I attended ISU-CVM for two years (was c/o 2020) and have kept up pretty well with changes in the admissions procedure and requirements since then, so I should be able to answer most questions. There's also @Barkley13 and @Doggo Labs , who are current third year students, and @genny is a c/o 2017 graduate.

Good luck, everyone. :)

We’re you OOS or IS when you got in?

Did you graduate from there? Did you transfer from somewhere else? How was your experience with ISU?
I did not graduate; I left halfway through the program and am no longer in vet med at all. I've told the story of what happened multiple times over the years (you can search my post history if you're really interested; I don't want to bring down the mood of an applicants thread with it).

That said, I enjoyed my time at ISU for the most part.

I did not graduate; I left halfway through the program and am no longer in vet med at all. I've told the story of what happened multiple times over the years (you can search my post history if you're really interested; I don't want to bring down the mood of an applicants thread with it).

That said, I enjoyed my time at ISU for the most part.

Gotcha! It’s good to hear you enjoyed your time!

Second time applying, first time applying to Iowa! OOS, non- traditional applicant! Super excited!

Good luck everyone! This is my second time applying to Iowa state. I got waitlisted last cycle and never called off so fingers crossed this time!

Reactions: 1 users
I’d love to hear from a current ISU student about their experience at Iowa! I had Iowa on my list to apply but decided to take it off since I didn’t know much about the program from a students perspective (and applying to vet school is expensive). But I’d consider adding it back if people had a good experience to share!

I'm a current 4th year so perusing the forum on my minimal down time on ICU right now. I really have enjoyed my experience here at ISU and am one of the ambassadors so if any of you have questions please feel free to message me!

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First time OOS applicant! Super excited.

second time applicant and second time applying to ISU! So close last application cycle. OOS here in Ohio

Last edited:
Decided to go big and add a few more schools to my list, including Iowa State! Second time applicant, but first time applying to ISU! Super excited for this cycle!

Second time applicant, first time applying at Iowa State! OOS non-traditional :)

Hi all, finishing up my supplementals & essays right now to submit, and I'm running into a question about ISU's supplemental application. When it states "college activities/awards", do we think this means only during undergrad or while taking ANY college classes? I don't have any science-related activities from undergrad, but I do have a number of activities and awards that have nothing to do with vet med lol, trying to figure out which ones should go where.

Hi everyone! I just applied IS :) . Not feeling very optimistic but hopeful

Hi y'all! First time applicant, out of state :)

First time applicant, out of state. Literally losing my mind with nervousness and anxiety, but still insanely hopeful. This is gonna be a long road, folks...

Hey everyone! First time applicant (got scared and didn't submit last year lol), OOS :)

Does anyone else's portal say academic review for status? Mine was just changed today!

Mine says “none”

Mine also still says “none,” although I did submit my Iowa State app right before the deadline. From past threads, it sounds like they eventually move everyone’s application status to “under academic review” to make sure applicants meet the minimum GPA requirements for that year, and once you pass that, they eventually move you to “under committee review” where they review the rest of your app before making a decision!

Mine says "none" too! My VMCAS was verified about a week ago, so hopefully it will change soon!
Same here! I’m hoping they are just going in order so they just haven’t gotten to us yet

Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year here at ISU CVM and am willing to answer any questions you guys have about Iowa, or the vet school here. Granted in times like this my experiences are a bit different than what 2nd years went through or what you may go through as a 1st year, but still happy to answer any questions!

About me: Originally from Pennsylvania, took a gap year then applied to vet school, got in my first time. I was waitlisted at ISU but low on the list and got off quick (they do eventually give you what number you are on the waitlist). I'm most interested in large animal/swine, very little interest to work at a dog/cat clinic so you can call me a bit untraditional in that aspect. I am also applying for the DVM/MPH program ISU offers in conjunction w/ University of Iowa. I'd highly recommend looking into it for anyone interested in food animal medicine, public health, or government/industry style veterinarian jobs! Just another perk ISU has to offer!

Reactions: 3 users
Hey everyone! I'm a 1st year here at ISU CVM and am willing to answer any questions you guys have about Iowa, or the vet school here. Granted in times like this my experiences are a bit different than what 2nd years went through or what you may go through as a 1st year, but still happy to answer any questions!

About me: Originally from Pennsylvania, took a gap year then applied to vet school, got in my first time. I was waitlisted at ISU but low on the list and got off quick (they do eventually give you what number you are on the waitlist). I'm most interested in large animal/swine, very little interest to work at a dog/cat clinic so you can call me a bit untraditional in that aspect. I am also applying for the DVM/MPH program ISU offers in conjunction w/ University of Iowa. I'd highly recommend looking into it for anyone interested in food animal medicine, public health, or government/industry style veterinarian jobs! Just another perk ISU has to offer!
I'm curious is the MPH/DVM program competitive to get into?

I dont think so. I'm in Class of 2022 and theres about 5 students in my class doing the program, and I think they all got in very easily.

Mine is just my science gpa not my last 45 yet

Mine didn't have either listed at that point, just a place for them to be entered. I just went to check and an error message came up that said "site offline", so maybe they're working on stuff now?

My application still says received does yours
Mine is like this and i submitted it 1-2 weeks before the deadline but I have been verified by VMCAS :), I’m just assuming it’s taking them some time to work through it, especially with covid regulations/working from home.

Last edited:
They added my last 45 gpa now too! Still in Academic review but it’s nice to see some progress!

I dont think the DVM/MPH program is competitive. From what I've heard from upperclassmen I've talked to is that they don't know anyone who was denied it

My application still only says received and submitted, slightly worried.

My application still only says received and submitted, slightly worried.
Mine also says that, I am OOS and was verified by VMCAS on 10/6! I bet they just have a lot to work through and its nothing to worry about!