Iowa State C/O 2025 Hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My application still only says received and submitted, slightly worried.
I realize that it's far easier said than done, but try not to worry or compare your current standing to others. You all are still extremely early into the application cycle, all things considered, and ISU has 2-3 admissions staff who enter everything manually, so it might take a little while for all of your GPAs to be calculated and your portal to reflect that.

ISU doesn't utilize any sort of rolling admissions and final decisions won't be out until February 15th, so there's plenty of time for things to catch up. :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone, I'm a first time, OOS, kind of non-traditional applicant. I'm excited to be on this journey!

Mine also says that, I am OOS and was verified by VMCAS on 10/6! I bet they just have a lot to work through and its nothing to worry about!
I submitted on VMCAS August 31st and was verified on September 2nd, that's what worries me!

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anyone else unable to access their supplemental application portal at the moment?

Hi everyone! I'm currently a 3rd year at ISU CVM and an happy to answer any questions you may have! :)
Good luck with your applications this cycle!

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone had issues with the "mammal anatomy or physiology" requirement? I just received an email stating that I do not meet the requirement.

Has anyone had issues with the "mammal anatomy or physiology" requirement? I just received an email stating that I do not meet the requirement.
I took an upper level human physiology course and they did not have a problem with it last year for their pre-reqs! It’s a 3000 level course at my college. If you have something similar maybe see if you have the course syllabus and send it to them to see if it fills their requirements.

I took an upper level human physiology course and they did not have a problem with it last year for their pre-reqs! It’s a 3000 level course at my college. If you have something similar maybe see if you have the course syllabus and send it to them to see if it fills their requirements.
I took a 3000 level farm animal integrated physiology course and listed that as my course- but apparently it didn't meet qualifications?

I took a 3000 level farm animal integrated physiology course and listed that as my course- but apparently it didn't meet qualifications?
Email [email protected] explaining the situation, with an attached copy of your syllabus, so that they can review it. ISU is very particular about what the anatomy/physiology class must cover in order to be accepted and it's changed a lot over the past few years. I ran into the same thing with my upper-division comparative anatomy course when I applied.

• Dislike
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I’m still in academic... I feel like my gpa range is fine though?? Not sure why I’m still there

I’m still in academic... I feel like my gpa range is fine though?? Not sure why I’m still there

Mine was stuck in academic review for quite a while! I wouldn’t worry at all. I was seeing some decisions last year were received in January at the earliest so there’s still plenty of time.

Reactions: 1 user
Also in committee review. My application status was stuck at "none" since August. They probably have so many applications to go through!

Email [email protected] explaining the situation, with an attached copy of your syllabus, so that they can review it. ISU is very particular about what the anatomy/physiology class must cover in order to be accepted and it's changed a lot over the past few years. I ran into the same thing with my upper-division comparative anatomy course when I applied.
The appropriate thing to do is to contact the person on the message board and tell them you would like to send a syllabus. They will tell you who it needs to be sent to and will be on the lookout for it. Sending ANYTHING to the address Elkhart suggested is not good advice if you are a current applicant in cycle. That email may not be read right away, especially with the volume of applicants. You are strongly advised NOT to use that general admissions email for your application questions.

The appropriate thing to do is to contact the person on the message board and tell them you would like to send a syllabus. They will tell you who it needs to be sent to and will be on the lookout for it. Sending ANYTHING to the address Elkhart suggested is not good advice if you are a current applicant in cycle. That email may not be read right away, especially with the volume of applicants. You are strongly advised NOT to use that general admissions email for your application questions.
Directly from the course requirements page:
Applicants must complete the following prerequisite coursework. Credit earned must be equivalent of the Iowa State University courses listed. Prospective students and applicants are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to contact [email protected] if there are questions concerning whether a course will fulfill the ISU-CVM requirement.

I can also say from personal experience, as someone who applied to, was accepted to, and attended ISU-CVM, that they do monitor that email and they will respond to queries sent to it. As I mentioned above, I had the exact same experience with a pre-req when I applied; I sent an email explaining my concerns, with an attached syllabus, that they then reviewed and told me would fulfill their requirements.

Yes, it is probably wise to leave a message on the portal letting them know ahead of time that an email is coming their way (and I’ll freely admit that I should have stated as such), but it isn’t the end of the world and I highly, highly doubt that it would necessarily leave a bad impression of an applicant if they didn’t do so.

I would appreciate not being accused of telling applicants the “wrong” thing to do when the actual admissions website itself encourages anyone with questions or concerns regarding pre-reqs to send emails to that address.

Mine was stuck in academic review for quite a while! I wouldn’t worry at all. I was seeing some decisions last year were received in January at the earliest so there’s still plenty of time.

The admissions coordinators have to manually change every portal item as they get to each application so don’t fret if your status hasn’t changed yet. It may just mean that they have not gotten to yours, or just have not updated the portal yet.

Additionally, no admissions offers will go out until February 15th and they are pretty solid on that date. Like someone else stated, you may receive a rejection earlier than that if you didn’t meet certain requirements but will NOT hear about offers until February 15th!

Hope this puts some minds at ease

So what comes after committee review? Mine says application received, under committee review, and my GPAs are calculated.
Final decisions are not released until February 15th, so you'll have a long while to wait. The only exceptions to this, as @brgdo1994, @genny, and myself stated earlier, are for those who don't pass the Academic Review stage and/or don’t meet entry requirements---they may receive a rejection before that point.

Since your application was progressed on into Committee Review, you will likely not see any additional updates to your portal until February 15th.

Last edited by a moderator:
Final decisions are not released until February 15th, so you'll have a long while to wait. The only exceptions to this, as @brgdo1994, @genny, and myself stated earlier, are for those who don't pass the Academic Review stage and/or don’t meet entry requirements---they may receive a rejection before that point.

Since your application was progressed on into Committee Review, you will likely not see any additional updates to your portal until February 15th.

Thank you! So Iowa State is one of those schools that don't interview?

What does academic review mean?
It's a process in which the school makes sure that you've met their minimum academic requirements. They check that you have your prerequisites done, and that your GPAs pass whatever their minimum cut offs are.

Committee review is when they actually evaluate you as an applicant.

My status still says 'None' and no GPA calculations yet. Is this the case for anyone else?

My status finally updated to committee review, but my GPAs are not calculated yet. I guess I just moved forward before they input those to the portal

My status finally updated to committee review, but my GPAs are not calculated yet. I guess I just moved forward before they input those to the portal
Mines the same, in committee review but no calculated GPA

My status still says 'None' and no GPA calculations yet. Is this the case for anyone else?

Mine says this too - I wasn't sure if it would be a good time to reach out to make sure that they were not missing information, or if it was too early for that.

Mine says this too - I wasn't sure if it would be a good time to reach out to make sure that they were not missing information, or if it was too early for that.
Too early, from my experience last year they will reach out to us if they need something. My GPA’s last year weren’t calculated until my birthday early November (gave me a literally heart attack lmao).

Wow my required science GPA is lower than I would’ve thought. Hopefully it’s still competitive enough :/

edit : just got moved to committee review!

Last edited:
ugh mine still says status: none but everything is submitted and received....

Finally made it to academic review as an OOS applicant! For reference, I submitted my application the night before the deadline.

My last 45 just came in! I submitted mine the day before the deadline. Pretty happy with the GPA!

so I saw the above article about the dramatic increase in applicants, and it made me wonder if things are going to take longer to get updated this year in ISU’s online portal because not only do they have to figure out how to account for schools that went to p/f grading with online courses for Covid, but they also have to input more data than ever before.

so I saw the above article about the dramatic increase in applicants, and it made me wonder if things are going to take longer to get updated this year in ISU’s online portal because not only do they have to figure out how to account for schools that went to p/f grading with online courses for Covid, but they also have to input more data than ever before.
I’m honestly surprised that it increased that much with COVID! I figured it would be the opposite due to various financial situations during the pandemic and the inability to have more essential experience over the summer that usually boosts applications. That was a very interesting article to read!!

I’m honestly surprised that it increased that much with COVID! I figured it would be the opposite due to various financial situations during the pandemic. That was a very interesting article to read!!
Its probably due to the requirements (GRE) being relaxed

My last 45 GPA just came in, but it still says "none" for my application status! Fingers crossed it gets moved soon!

hi! First time applicant, first time ISU applicant, OOS! My portal has my last 45 GPA, but not science GPA. VMCAS app says recieved, but application status says none. Should I be concerned?

Just made it to committee review with both GPAs calculated!

Just made it to committee review!