iPad Pro v Surface Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i know ipads have always been a lesser discount than an actual computer, but i think it used to be $50 off ipads. :/

Members don't see this ad.

For people with iPads, did you go with the 10.5 or the 12.9? If I got one I would be tempted to go with the larger one because I am farsighted and have difficulty with smaller text. But I don't know if it feels ridiculously large for writing on or if it's a pain.

Also, when did Apple's student and government discount get so crappy? They literally only give you $20 off now. I got at least $100 off my macbook pro if not more.
I think @cdoconn has the bigger one and @Caiter92 said she had the smaller one (i think she said that on the last page?)

i know ipads have always been a lesser discount than an actual computer, but i think it used to be $50 off ipads. :/
If I remember correctly, a long time ago (10-15 years) everything had a set % off that government employees or students got. I think my dad and mom both could get something like 10% off of any device. How I wish that was still the case...

Members don't see this ad :)
I think @cdoconn has the bigger one and @Caiter92 said she had the smaller one (i think she said that on the last page?)
Yeah I have the 9.7 (was the original size before they changed it to 10.4).

Personally I think the size is perfect. I’ve used other people’s 12.9 and it’s just too big.

Reactions: 1 user
For people with iPads, did you go with the 10.5 or the 12.9? If I got one I would be tempted to go with the larger one because I am farsighted and have difficulty with smaller text. But I don't know if it feels ridiculously large for writing on or if it's a pain.

Also, when did Apple's student and government discount get so crappy? They literally only give you $20 off now. I got at least $100 off my macbook pro if not more.
@cdoconn Do you like having the larger one?
I have the 12.9. Imo it’s perfect. I have big hands and I like being able to have more on the screen with a large size. The 9 was too small. I would see which works best for you.

I will say, the 12.9 is too big to use it conventionally like an iPad. But I coupled it with a Logitech Create keyboard and it made it the perfect Apple 2 n 1

I have the 12.9. Imo it’s perfect. I have big hands and I like being able to have more on the screen with a large size. The 9 was too small. I would see which works best for you.

I will say, the 12.9 is too big to use it conventionally like an iPad. But I coupled it with a Logitech Create keyboard and it made it the perfect Apple 2 n 1
By "use conventionally" do you mean holding it in your hands to do things or hand writing? I guess what I am asking is would it be comfortable to use it flat on a table like a notebook or would that be awkward? It sounds like you likely have it laptop mode a lot of the time.

I have a question about storage capacity. I bought a 9.7 iPad Pro last year with 32 gb of storage. I’m worried I will run out of room to store files eventually as I start using it more when I start vet school in the fall. Right now I just use it for watching videos/Netflix/etc. In vet school I plan to use it as my primary note taking source. Has anyone had any issues with not having enough storage space and/or does anyone have any recommendations for cloud storage?

By "use conventionally" do you mean holding it in your hands to do things or hand writing? I guess what I am asking is would it be comfortable to use it flat on a table like a notebook or would that be awkward? It sounds like you likely have it laptop mode a lot of the time.
So lemme show you pictures... it might make sense.

It’s too big to hold and try to write/ type.
737559EA-6CCA-4981-A71C-C9E98BBC842D.jpeg

However it’s a nice size to be able to see a lot on your screen.

BCFC6BDC-FBBC-4BBF-B95D-CEC84425D51D.jpeg

During class, I hand write my notes (with my Apple Pencil) in the horizontal view (this is vertical I know)
BBBA64F6-DA28-47A7-9E5C-FED760BD0FDC.jpeg

But it works as a full sized laptop if I want to type (or play WW)
4A7AB827-0DE7-467F-BE24-5C2171D00BE1.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
Also, do you guys *also* have normal computers/laptops, or have the iPad Pro and Surface totally taken the place of needing a laptop?

*edit* didn't see @cdoconn's pics, we posted at the same time...but based on that, no need for a laptop?

I have a question about storage capacity. I bought a 9.7 iPad Pro last year with 32 gb of storage. I’m worried I will run out of room to store files eventually as I start using it more when I start vet school in the fall. Right now I just use it for watching videos/Netflix/etc. In vet school I plan to use it as my primary note taking source. Has anyone had any issues with not having enough storage space and/or does anyone have any recommendations for cloud storage?
Cloud storage with Apple is pretty cheap tbh. I have 50 gb of cloud storage for $0.99 a month. It’s definitely something you can factor into your monthly budget.

Other than that, I have other classmates who use like Google Drive or Dropbox to back everything else up. It’s a little more of a hassle, but it’s safe.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, do you guys *also* have normal computers/laptops, or have the iPad Pro and Surface totally taken the place of needing a laptop?
I have a laptop for a very few things. I have an old laptop for when I need a USB drive/ want to download files or books onto my computer.

But I use my iPad for everything else

I am using around 60 gig of 256 on my surface pro for school. The 32 might be limiting as some of the PowerPoint lectures can get pretty big. Cloud storage is a good solution, but it stinks when the internet is slow or not working.

The Lenovo we were forced to purchase for school has 256 gig and is sitting at about 100 gig with all the junk they installed on it or required us to install.

Members don't see this ad :)
iPad users how much storage did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

125 GB and I haven't had space issues yet

I also have the 12.9, love the size
I went to best buy today to look at them and think I would prefer the 12.9. I'm probably going to hold out for the next gen which will hopefully be bezel-less. They only have 64G or 256G and I think I would go with the 256. My macbook is 128 and I don't think I would want to go smaller but I could be wrong. I'm not sure how much the typical app takes up.

You bringing up next gen Apple products reminds me—if anyone is planning on getting one and they don’t care about getting the next gen one, try waiting until June when they release the next gen ones and the prices on the current ones all drop.
Some things won’t have a new release this year but the ones that do will get a price drop on the old ones

You bringing up next gen Apple products reminds me—if anyone is planning on getting one and they don’t care about getting the next gen one, try waiting until June when they release the next gen ones and the prices on the current ones all drop.
Some things won’t have a new release this year but the ones that do will get a price drop on the old ones

Have the officially announced they will be releasing a new one? I really want to get it like now because I’m not super patient once I’ve made up my mind and so i can get use to it but would also like a price drop

Have the officially announced they will be releasing a new one? I really want to get it like now because I’m not super patient once I’ve made up my mind and so i can get use to it but would also like a price drop

No they haven't and likely a new one won't be released until June at the earliest. If you want one now I would just get one.

They usually don’t officially announce anything until June at SXSW but there’s usually rumors a couple months prior.

Okay so I ended up going iPad Pro! And so far I love it! Thanks for the information everyone! If anyone is interested I found this app I already love its called Nebo it was about $3 though the App Store and it takes my handwriting and it can change it in to text. I can draw diagram as well as math based equations that are then converted as well!! I have a ton of other ones I’m gonna play around with before I determine where I will be taking notes at but I thought I’d share what Ive like so far! @StayingPositive2017, if you are considering this app would let you completely handwrite then transition it to text or you could leave it your own writing!

Okay but like your cap is ridiculously cute.

Thank you!! I spent forever searching Pinterest to gather what I really wanted! I’m in love with it still!

Okay so I ended up going iPad Pro! And so far I love it! Thanks for the information everyone! If anyone is interested I found this app I already love its called Nebo it was about $3 though the App Store and it takes my handwriting and it can change it in to text. I can draw diagram as well as math based equations that are then converted as well!! I have a ton of other ones I’m gonna play around with before I determine where I will be taking notes at but I thought I’d share what Ive like so far! @StayingPositive2017, if you are considering this app would let you completely handwrite then transition it to text or you could leave it your own writing!
My 2 cents- Look into notability as well! I loooooove Notability. My friends alternatively use OneNote. I like them

Reactions: 3 users
My 2 cents- Look into notability as well! I loooooove Notability. My friends alternatively use OneNote. I like them
Notability is awesome. I’d skip OneNote on the iPads though. Really buggy in my experience and lacking some of the cool features it has for window devices.

Thanks for the heads up, good to know about apps that will let me write things out. It's definitely the physical process of writing that helps me to remember. If I go the tablet route, will have to look into those apps to see if they go Android, as I am not an apple person.

I recently purchased a Surface Pro the other day and am in love with it! They were having a sale where the i5/4GB/128GB was the same price as a 3m, they also had a 'bundle savings' option available, as well as student discounts! I was at the Microsoft store, not sure if it's still going on or if it's available at other stores, but it saved me almost $400.
OneNote is a bit glitchy on the Surface Pros when it comes to inserting PDFs into it to take notes, however if you "print to OneNote" then it works no problem! I also found the OneNote 2016 is less glitchy than the OneNote Microsoft app (from the app store), however I prefer the OneNote app layout. After finding that little trick, I'm sticking to the OneNote app in hopes it'll be fixed in an upcoming update. They keyboard cover actually works nicely, although I have a laptop that I plan to do projects, essays, etc. on, it's nice knowing the Surface Pro has the capabilities to use adobe flash player, etc. if need be. I'm an avid google chrome user, but what was neat about microsoft edge that I wasn't aware of, is I was able to import my saved passwords/usernames/bookmarks, etc. and use them there. Microsoft edge also has a neat OneNote tool that allows you to make annotations on webpages and save those notes.
I debated for quite a bit over ipad pro vs. surface pro, but ultimately am pretty happy with my choice! If anyone with a surface pro has recommendations for any must have apps, I'm all ears!!

Notability is awesome. I’d skip OneNote on the iPads though. Really buggy in my experience and lacking some of the cool features it has for window devices.

I adore notability. Even though we also have lectures capture, I really like recording the lectures with my notes so if I have a question about something, I can pretty quickly go back and listen. I do have OneNote on my iPad, as well, for those cases when I need two documents open and need to be able tot write on both. Wish notability would let you have two documents open! I have the 10.5 inch iPad Pro, but if I were to go back I would really consider getting the 12.9 because of how much I use th split screen.

I adore notability. Even though we also have lectures capture, I really like recording the lectures with my notes so if I have a question about something, I can pretty quickly go back and listen. I do have OneNote on my iPad, as well, for those cases when I need two documents open and need to be able tot write on both. Wish notability would let you have two documents open! I have the 10.5 inch iPad Pro, but if I were to go back I would really consider getting the 12.9 because of how much I use th split screen.

That's where the 12.9 really pulls ahead. I always have multiple things open when note taking or studying

That's where the 12.9 really pulls ahead. I always have multiple things open when note taking or studying
I love split screen because one of our classes is awesome, but a little more of a snooze fest. So I open up split screen and type up a study guide for the class as we go! Saves time at the end of the day!

I think when considering the iPad vs. the Surface, it's important to think about what exactly you want the device to do. Is it simply for notes and simple tasks or is it a computer replacement? I love my iPad Pro for notes because I'm one of those people that likes writing on the slides with the option of typing and the less stuff I have to carry around, the better. Some thoughts:

- If you're looking for the functionality of a laptop, 100% go with the surface. The iPad can limp along but it's better as a note-taking supplement to your computer as opposed to a replacement.
- While you can export OneNote to PDF, it's not constantly updated/backed up like Notability so any changes need to be re-exported
- OneNote is searchable while Notability is not unless you're simply searching in the backed-up PDFs
- OneNote is crap on the iPad, do not recommend. If you want to use OneNote, stick with a surface or laptop, not a device with the mobile version.

My iPad was my in-class note-taker. My laptop (old MBP from 2010) was brought if for some reason I needed more function (it's a heavy 15" so I don't like to bring it unless I have to). My desktop was used for any real work at home (because I like large, multiple monitors). So for me, the iPad made sense since I don't mind having multiple devices.

It's all about what your expectations are and which device best fits them. :)

- OneNote is searchable while Notability is not unless you're simply searching in the backed-up PDFs

?? You can search in the notability app. It's not the most nuanced thing but I regularly do a search across my 1.5 years of notes when reviewing.

Guys, click the magnifying glass in the notability app :p

Any thoughts on the surface book? I am due for a new laptop and I'm worried the surface pro doesn't fully replace an actual computer? And it seems to have pretty low storage capacity?

Any thoughts on the surface book? I am due for a new laptop and I'm worried the surface pro doesn't fully replace an actual computer? And it seems to have pretty low storage capacity?
I've played around with surface books and they seem really nice but are $$. If you wanted to go down that route I would just recommend a 2-1 (lenovo has nice ones).
I have a prof who pretty much uses her surface pro exclusively as a computer. I think it sort of comes down to what you want to do with the device. Will you be using it as a laptop then a tablet, or a tablet primarily and sometimes as a laptop?

I've played around with surface books and they seem really nice but are $$. If you wanted to go down that route I would just recommend a 2-1 (lenovo has nice ones).
I have a prof who pretty much uses her surface pro exclusively as a computer. I think it sort of comes down to what you want to do with the device. Will you be using it as a laptop then a tablet, or a tablet primarily and sometimes as a laptop?

Edit - isn't a surface book basically a 2-1?
Yeah I saw that price tag on the surface book! :confused: But i want to be sure I get something that serves all my needs since I'm wanting to replace my laptop that's like 5 years old.

Last edited:
Edit - isn't a surface book basically a 2-1?
Yeah I saw that price tag on the surface book! :confused: But i want to be sure I get something that serves all my needs since I'm wanting to replace my laptop that's like 5 years old.
I guess I meant more of the classic 2-1. The touch screen removes off of the keyboard on the surface book to be a fully functional tablet. Other 2-1 just fold back so the keyboard is under the tablet while in use.

My SP4 is a laptop, it's just small.

Full windows, full office and better stats than my last laptop. I got a 128G microSD to up the storage (@ a crazy deal) and keep unimportant stuff in the cloud. I have an external monitor at home and a keyboard, same as I did for all my other laptops since I'm on it sooooooo much.
The pen lets me draw and hand write all my lectures in OneNote.
Feel free to ask any questions!

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Do you guys find it more helpful to type notes using a laptop, or get a tablet w/ stylus to mark up PowerPoints?