iPad Pro v Surface Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So if it’s not already on there, don’t bank on that. And you also don’t know if the incoming classes will even be using that same software two years from now because technology can change a ton by then.

Very true on that part, I would love to get a laptop sooner than later but I can be patient plus keep saving! Thank you for your helpful reply.

I bought my laptop just before starting school and am hoping it will last me the full 4 years. We'll see. I'm an abusive computer owner. I have a laptop with touch screen capabilities (that I mostly use when I'm lying bed watching netflix and the mouse is too much trouble) but it's not a 2 in 1, for reasons that I can't specifically remember right now. I definitely looked at a couple of 2 in 1s but decided against them. I think I specifically remember looking at the surface but deciding I would definitely murder that keyboard within months. When I got it, I wondered a little bit if I would regret not getting a 2 in 1 or if I might end up wanting another device. So far, I'm happy with my decision though. I think it just depends on how you personally plan to use your device(s).

That's what I have in mind of doing, purchasing the laptop before I start. I think I'm an okay laptop user, but do use it almost the entire day, every day (mostly netflix, youtube, hulu, homework, on occasion gaming). So this is something I have to inform the workers in computer stores. I honestly did not think of this before. Thank you for the helpful response!

Members don't see this ad.

Examsoft can work on iPads...students at my current institution use them without issue.

Edit: well, sometimes they complain about zooming on cytology or hematology images so maybe without issue is pushing it, but they do work.

Reactions: 1 users
Examsoft can work on iPads...students at my current institution use them without issue.

Edit: well, sometimes they complain about zooming on cytology or hematology images so maybe without issue is pushing it, but they do work.

Thank you for the information! This is helpful. Does the size (10.5" or 12.9" ipad pro) have an effect on the images being looked at?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for the information! This is helpful. Does the size (10.5" or 12.9" ipad pro) have an effect on the images being looked at?

No idea...I never used examsoft and I just help TA courses now since I’m a resident. To be honest we kinda ignore the complaints about it because everyone on our service agrees the images we use on exams are diagnostic even without the zoom feature since we’re not trying to trick people.

I've read most, if not all, of this forum as well as a plethora of reviews and comparisons online. All of which lead me to conclude it's ultimately a matter of personal preference; pros and cons to each. I think the difficult part for me is I am not tech savvy - yes I can function on a computer and smart phone, but really don't care for technology and only use what I have to. This makes me think I would be more comfortable with a surface pro because, if I am understanding the reviews, it functions much like a laptop. That said, it does seem that the majority of people on here seem to really like their Ipad Pro products. It worries me to go that route because I've never used an Apple product at all, let alone a tablet. How big is the learning curve? If I were to go the Apple route and had it say one month before school began to play around with would I be struggling in class? (I'm not tech savvy, but I'm not dumb either). Can I move things between the Ipad Pro and a PC laptop? If so, how does that work? Thank you! (If you throw too much tech lingo at me, I will not follow ;) )

I dont use a tablet for note taking but I do have an iPhone and (older) iPad. The biggest frustrations I have with the Apple products is I feel that if you dont have have everything Apple then transfering photos & documents can be a challenge. Apple has transfering capiblities thru iTunes and iCloud for iOS to pc transfers but I cant stand either application for multiple reasons. If everything was an Apple product then Airdrop could be used which I hear works well but in my case does not help. To solve this issue, I have been using Dropbox. It has been a lifesaver to get photos and document off of the iPad and on to my computer and vice versa.

I find it’s generally easier to stick with one type of things, so all apple or all windows/pc. Things are a bit easier because then you only have to learn ONE system and when there’s updates, things are updated the same throughout. Apple devices are great at moving things from one Apple device to the others and back, but you could use google drive or Dropbox to go from Apple to non-Apple as well.
If you’re not super tech savvy and haven’t used Apple products before, I might steer you towards a surface because it’ll be more like what you’re used to. Or if you’re looking for an actual laptop that also has some tablet features, there’s tons of different 2-in-1 laptops available.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone! I am going to be a first year and am going to buy the new iPad with the pen and keyboard so that I can write on my notes during class. I was wondering how much space you felt you needed. I'm not sure if I should get the 256GB or 512GB. Thank you in advance!!!

Hi everyone! I am going to be a first year and am going to buy the new iPad with the pen and keyboard so that I can write on my notes during class. I was wondering how much space you felt you needed. I'm not sure if I should get the 256GB or 512GB. Thank you in advance!!!
Make sure you ask about the education pricing or use the education store online! Not a ton off, but it’s something!
I personally just got the 256, figuring I can save most of my stuff up in the cloud (whether iCloud, google drive, or Dropbox). The guy at the Apple store said if I saved PowerPoints that I took my notes on up into iCloud I’d still be able to look at them without downloading them to my iPad.

Did ya’ll see the new updates to notability? Super awesome that you can now have two notes open at a time and search your handwriting!

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did ya’ll see the new updates to notability? Super awesome that you can now have two notes open at a time and search your handwriting!
I purposely have not looked at notability since my last final ended. So we’re looking at almost 2 weeks now. :laugh:

Will definitely be interesting come August when I open it back up again

Reviving this thread bc I'm trying to decide which iPad to buy.

So I have a 5 yo Macbook Air that's still going strong (I've had like zero issues with it), but I want to get either an iPad or iPad Pro for taking notes. Mostly bc everyone here has said that if I try to do paper notes, I'll end up lugging around giant binders. I plan on only using it for hand-writing notes (which is the only way I can retain info), no typing things up or anything. Also don't know what storage size to get. Thoughts?

So I have a 5 yo Macbook Air that's still going strong (I've had like zero issues with it), but I want to get either an iPad or iPad Pro for taking notes. Mostly bc everyone here has said that if I try to do paper notes, I'll end up lugging around giant binders. I plan on only using it for hand-writing notes (which is the only way I can retain info), no typing things up or anything. Also don't know what storage size to get. Thoughts?

I like my iPad Pro for hand writing notes but I don’t have any other system to compare it to. The Apple Pencil feels very much similar to pen and paper.

I personally just bought the iPad Pro for note taking. I also prefer to hand write notes or annotate PowerPoints so that’s what I went with. As for storage, I got the middle of the three options so there’s a good amount I can store ON the iPad, but I can also utilize the iCloud Drive, google drive, or Dropbox and store more there. Supposedly with the iCloud Drive I can upload my written on PowerPoints and get them completely off my iPad but still be able to open and view them without fully downloading them. Idk if Dropbox and google drive would be the same as that, I didn’t ask.

I personally just bought the iPad Pro for note taking. I also prefer to hand write notes or annotate PowerPoints so that’s what I went with. As for storage, I got the middle of the three options so there’s a good amount I can store ON the iPad, but I can also utilize the iCloud Drive, google drive, or Dropbox and store more there. Supposedly with the iCloud Drive I can upload my written on PowerPoints and get them completely off my iPad but still be able to open and view them without fully downloading them. Idk if Dropbox and google drive would be the same as that, I didn’t ask.
I'm currently deciding between 64GB and 256GB. I think I could get away with 64GB for a short amount of time, but then have to use a cloud. I'm planning on using it for notes, powerpoints, and textbooks and I'm worried 64GB won't be able to handle that after 4 years. But it's cheaper.

:thinking:

I'm currently deciding between 64GB and 256GB. I think I could get away with 64GB for a short amount of time, but then have to use a cloud. I'm planning on using it for notes, powerpoints, and textbooks and I'm worried 64GB won't be able to handle that after 4 years. But it's cheaper.

Yeahhhhh that was my struggle too. I went bigger because then I have that safety net.
Definitely make sure to get the education pricing tho either in store or online. It’s not a ton off, but every bit helps. Apple Pencil is eligible tooooo!!

Yeahhhhh that was my struggle too. I went bigger because then I have that safety net.
Definitely make sure to get the education pricing tho either in store or online. It’s not a ton off, but every bit helps. Apple Pencil is eligible tooooo!!
Yep, was already planning on it! I also currently have SUNY discounts from working at Cornell. Surprisingly, the discount is the same.

Yep, was already planning on it! I also currently have SUNY discounts from working at Cornell. Surprisingly, the discount is the same.
One of the docs at work got the new iPad that’s pencil compatible and she likes it. If you don’t mind the smaller size (screen) it will be cheaper than the pro. If you only want to write that may be better than pro in terms of $

One of the docs at work got the new iPad that’s pencil compatible and she likes it. If you don’t mind the smaller size (screen) it will be cheaper than the pro. If you only want to write that may be better than pro in terms of $
I don’t remember why I went pro over the new iPad. I feel like maybe multitasking?

Edit: yeah I think the iPad doesn’t have multitasking but the pro does. There’s prob some other features, so def compare all of them and see what you can live without and what you can’t.

I would get the 256 GB, IMO. I have the 64 and while I’ll make do with it, I wish I had more space.

Already running out of space? That's my gut instinct--that it'll fill up with powerpoints and textbooks very quickly

I’m not out but I see myself having to back stuff up and delete before I’m done with vet school.

OK, so I bought an iPad Pro today! 256GB. It's amazing. Notability is so freaking cool.

I'm getting excited to take notes!

Random question--any iPad Pro people here use a matte screen protector? Looking for recs.

OK, so I bought an iPad Pro today! 256GB. It's amazing. Notability is so freaking cool.

Random question--any iPad Pro people here use a matte screen protector? Looking for recs.
ZAGG INVISIBLE SHIELD. it’s my favorite brand. I’m not sure if the iPad Pro one is matte (lol have I opened mine? Nope.) but I love their screen protectors so so much and it’s a lifetime warranty so if it ever gets wonky or grimy they’ll replace it free.
I’m not currently home to put it on my iPad and tell you, but when I do (which lol prob won’t be til next week tbh) I’ll let you knowwww
I know the one I have had for past phones has been matte so I’m hoping the one I have for my iPad is as well but we shall see. Even if not, I don’t find mine gets super smudgey on my phone when I have had non-matte.

Last edited:

Lol I am dying at "I'm getting excited to take notes!"
I hope you can hold onto that excitement these next few months haha

Lol I am dying at "I'm getting excited to take notes!"
I hope you can hold onto that excitement these next few months haha
A lot of people who have it say that having it makes writing notes more enjoyable. I like my notes to really organized and color-coded, so I'm really looking forward to using it.

And yes, I'm bottling up my excitement because I know I'm heading into some trying times!

Re: Screen Protector

The guy at Apple told me he didn’t know about protectors and pencil compatibility, like will the pencil work as well once it’s on?

The guy at Apple told me he didn’t know about protectors and pencil compatibility, like will the pencil work as well once it’s on?
Oh yeah, they will. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos reviewing some other protectors and they work fine.

There's no other screen protector other than tempered glass. All others are inferior.

Oh yeah, they will. I've been watching lots of YouTube videos reviewing some other protectors and they work fine.

There's no other screen protector other than tempered glass. All others are inferior.

Definitely only go tempered glass. My ipad got knocked off a table. Tempered glass cover cracked, screen was fine.

Also can confirm Apple Pencil works fine with a tempered glass cover.

Definitely only go tempered glass. My ipad got knocked off a table. Tempered glass cover cracked, screen was fine.

Also can confirm Apple Pencil works fine with a tempered glass cover.
Yeah, I was looking for a matte tempered glass on but couldn’t find one for a while. I found one off of amazon today that I’m going to try out. Will report back once I get it!

Also, I just got a case today for my iPad Pro and it’s awesome. Made by a brand called KHOMO. Thought I’d mention it if anyone else is looking!

Yeah, I was looking for a matte tempered glass on but couldn’t find one for a while. I found one off of amazon today that I’m going to try out. Will report back once I get it!

Also, I just got a case today for my iPad Pro and it’s awesome. Made by a brand called KHOMO. Thought I’d mention it if anyone else is looking!
Is there a link for the case? I’m still trying to decide what kind of case I wanna get

I absolutely DESPISE tempered glass screen protectors. The invisible shield ones are amazing too
I definitely thought you were talking about there tempered glass one :laugh: I didn’t realize they made one that wasn’t. I bought the Zagg invisible shield to replace the first one that broke and have had it for a year and a half now and it’s still totally perfect. I’m sure there other one is great too with that company :)

Is there a link for the case? I’m still trying to decide what kind of case I wanna get
This is the one I got. I don't have a keyboard with mine though. They have ones that are just back cases, too.

It feels really nice and professional as well as slim and sturdy. I also like the pencil holder bc I definitely would lose it otherwise :laugh:

This is the one I got. I don't have a keyboard with mine though. They have ones that are just back cases, too.

It feels really nice and professional as well as slim and sturdy. I also like the pencil holder bc I definitely would lose it otherwise :laugh:
Ooo I like the pencil holder (I will also lose it without one)

You guys have no idea how proud I am I still have my pencil two years later :laugh:

I definitely thought you were talking about there tempered glass one :laugh: I didn’t realize they made one that wasn’t. I bought the Zagg invisible shield to replace the first one that broke and have had it for a year and a half now and it’s still totally perfect. I’m sure there other one is great too with that company :)
Nope! The plastic one! The hdx one is also great for drop protection. Every one of my Apple devices is covered in it hahaha

This looks so nice! I bought the tech21 that Apple had in store with the Smart Keyboard but i struggle to write on it while I’m using the keyboard too. So i ordered this off amazon and I’ve have it for 2 hours and like it so far

Attachments

• 14C8F6B2-AC61-41F3-A0FB-1B9BBA3DD89E.jpeg
    14C8F6B2-AC61-41F3-A0FB-1B9BBA3DD89E.jpeg
    77.9 KB · Views: 83
I approve of this one. Ski, you might like this because it doesn’t feel like it’s tempered glass. It’s matte but not tooooo matte and the screen only gets a tiny bit grainier with it (compared to the one I tried before this and it made the screen look like shiz).

This is the one I have and like.

I approve of this one. Ski, you might like this because it doesn’t feel like it’s tempered glass. It’s matte but not tooooo matte and the screen only gets a tiny bit grainier with it (compared to the one I tried before this and it made the screen look like shiz).

This is the one I have and like.
Maybe I’ll try it out!

What are people's thoughts on the new 2018 iPad with the apple pencil compatibility? It's soooo much cheaper than the pro and I'm just kind of curious why the pro is so much more expensive? What features does the pro have that the new iPad doesn't? I know the screen is like an inch smaller but that doesn't really bother me

What are people's thoughts on the new 2018 iPad with the apple pencil compatibility? It's soooo much cheaper than the pro and I'm just kind of curious why the pro is so much more expensive? What features does the pro have that the new iPad doesn't? I know the screen is like an inch smaller but that doesn't really bother me
You can compare the specs here. I couldn’t really tell you too much about what’s different though. If you have an Apple store nearby, one of the employees can definitely help you with how the two differ in what they can do.

This is a pretty good breakdown. I have to get an iPad or iPad Pro for UF, and I ended up going with the 2018 iPad. The general consensus from everything I read and watched is that the iPad Pro is a little faster with a better display, but it’s not enough of a difference to warrant shelling out the extra cash for it, unless you’re editing video or something complicated like that. For general note-taking, web browsing, and the like, the 2018 iPad should be more than adequate.

Edit: also the 2018 iPad doesn’t support Apple’s Smart Keyboard. It works with Bluetooth keyboards, although that would be one more thing to carry around if you plan on using it a lot.

This is a pretty good breakdown. I have to get an iPad or iPad Pro for UF, and I ended up going with the 2018 iPad. The general consensus from everything I read and watched is that the iPad Pro is a little faster with a better display, but it’s not enough of a difference to warrant shelling out the extra cash for it, unless you’re editing video or something complicated like that. For general note-taking, web browsing, and the like, the 2018 iPad should be more than adequate.

Edit: also the 2018 iPad doesn’t support Apple’s Smart Keyboard. It works with Bluetooth keyboards, although that would be one more thing to carry around if you plan on using it a lot.

Yeah, I really only plan on using it for note taking and studying as I still have my 2012 MacBook Pro that works perfectly. So I am definitely leaning towards the 2018 iPad as well. Are you happy with it so far? Obviously classes haven’t started yet so you wouldn’t know for sure haha. Thanks for your help!!

Yeah, I really only plan on using it for note taking and studying as I still have my 2012 MacBook Pro that works perfectly. So I am definitely leaning towards the 2018 iPad as well. Are you happy with it so far? Obviously classes haven’t started yet so you wouldn’t know for sure haha. Thanks for your help!!
I mean, I’ve only had it for two hours at this point, so I can’t give you anything other than my initial impression has been good haha. The display seems high quality to me (nicer than my 2013 laptop). I have a Tumblr and the pictures look noticeably sharper than on my phone or laptop. I could definitely see how a keyboard would be helpful but there are plenty of Bluetooth keyboards available online. Also, the speakers only on one end are weird. Sound comes out the bottom in portrait mode, which is fine. In landscape mode, the sound is either from the left or the right only, which I don’t like, but certainly it’s not a dealbreaker for me. The Apple Pencil is so fun! Very easy to use. I’ve just been messing around with it in OneNote. Definitely haven’t been bothered by the depth of the display or the (unnoticeable) slower speed.