iPad Pro v Surface Pro

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I like using my iPad Pro with my Apple Pencil and writing... most of the time

I also like typing. I like them all lol

Do you have any problems with it propped up and trying to use pencil? I haven’t really tied this yet but every time i want to use pencil i find that i want the iPad flat

Members don't see this ad.

Do you have any problems with it propped up and trying to use pencil? I haven’t really tied this yet but every time i want to use pencil i find that i want the iPad flat
I don’t personally have a problem. My case puts it at a slight incline, and that’s my preferred setting hahaha.

I don’t personally have a problem. My case puts it at a slight incline, and that’s my preferred setting hahaha.

Do you have the Apple keyboard?

Members don't see this ad :)
The surface has a kickstand so I handwrite at about a 20 degree angle or swing the keyboard around and type when I need to. I mostly use the pen.

Do you have the Apple keyboard?

If I were to do it again, I’d get a Logitech. The Smart Keyboard works fine, but it’s kinda flimsy? Also doesn’t cover the back of the iPad, so I got a backcase for mine.

If I were to do it again, I’d get a Logitech. The Smart Keyboard works fine, but it’s kinda flimsy? Also doesn’t cover the back of the iPad, so I got a backcase for mine.

I would agree with this. Smart Keyboard just never worked for me. Except I just got a UAG flip case which is compatible with the Smart Keyboard so that may end up working better

Coming in late to the conversation but can't resist adding my two cents... iPad Pro is definitely the way to go. I personally know four people whose surfaces broke within the first year of school. One of our professors also had the computer and constantly had problems with it during class. My friend (whose surface broke last year) decided to get it replaced with another surface which--surprise--promptly broke again within the semester. I just don't think they're equipped to handle our kind of school load, especially with all the pictures and annotations we take in labs. She has since switched the the iPad Pro and loves it. Airdropping is glorious, and a lot of our class shares resources this way. Especially if you have another Apple product (I have an iMac and just bring my iPad to school) the decision is a no-brainer with all the communication the devices can do.

So lemme show you pictures... it might make sense.

It’s too big to hold and try to write/ type.
View attachment 228082

However it’s a nice size to be able to see a lot on your screen.

View attachment 228083

During class, I hand write my notes (with my Apple Pencil) in the horizontal view (this is vertical I know)
View attachment 228084

But it works as a full sized laptop if I want to type (or play WW)
View attachment 228085

Omg @cdoconn are you a student at Purdue by chance in Dr. Walter's class? Lol I think we're in the same class based on your ppts

I'm planning to get the iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd gen, 2017)- I am trying to figure out which case to get. I have looked into the logitech create - but it seems like they don't have it updated for the new version. Hopefully it still fits? Do some of you prefer to have a totally separate keyboard rather than the keyboard AND case together? I'm attending Ohio State (which requires a keyboard of some sort) - not sure if I will be handwriting with Apple Pencil more than typing? Do you recommend purchasing your device early so you can start to learn how all the features work? Sorry for the never-ending questions.

I'm planning to get the iPad Pro 12.9" (2nd gen, 2017)- I am trying to figure out which case to get. I have looked into the logitech create - but it seems like they don't have it updated for the new version. Hopefully it still fits? Do some of you prefer to have a totally separate keyboard rather than the keyboard AND case together? I'm attending Ohio State (which requires a keyboard of some sort) - not sure if I will be handwriting with Apple Pencil more than typing? Do you recommend purchasing your device early so you can start to learn how all the features work? Sorry for the never-ending questions.
Just googled it and supposedly the create does fit the 2nd gen but it blocks the rear flash, which tbh shouldn’t be too big of a deal IMO but if that’s something you’d rather avoid, prooob not the case for you.
I’m sure that wherever you buy it from you could probably return it if it doesn’t end up fitting, especially if you bought from someplace that has a brick and mortar or amazon.

Reactions: 1 users
I am personally holding out for a newer model that will (hopefully) be bezel-less but I could see the appeal of getting one early and getting used to it

Members don't see this ad :)
Reactions: 1 user
Yo -- the Ipad pro may be on a different cycle than the regular ipads, as the 2nd gen pros were announced at Apple's WWDC in June 2017, so rumors have it if a new model is being announced, it will be at this year's WWDC (date not announced yet, but similarly to last year, early June sometime).
Yeah the article said that. "Later this year" is still well before vet school starts up. I would be stoked to be able to get the 12.9 size but in a much smaller body due to no home button or bezels.

Yeah the article said that. "Later this year" is still well before vet school starts up. I would be stoked to be able to get the 12.9 size but in a much smaller body due to no home button or bezels.
Ah ok. I guess I didn’t know that “later this year” still meant well before Vet School started. The first gens were announced in a September IIRC, and didn’t go into production until November... which is after most schools start — and I had originally gotten my hopes up that maybe something might happen in the March releases so I could also check it out but low chance of that happening.

Yeah — I saw face recognition being used the other day on someon’s iphone and it was very cool. Coming from my old MacBook, anything will be slimmer profile, but I’m most excited about increased screen real estate for viewing/writing with if they remove home button/bezels.

Hi! I ended up getting the keyboard made by Apple- The Smart Keyboard. I had some problems with it but Apple replaced it because it wasn’t functioning properly. I also got the Tech21 impact clear case because was a case that could be on all the time and compatible with my keyboard and also had a pencil holder.

The only thing is I feel that with the keyboard the angle the iPad is at makes it hard for me to write on it..note this may also be because I’m a lefty and struggle at things righty’s have no problems with

I bought mine super early so i could play around with the different apps to see what ones i liked better. I am also happy because i figured out that my keyboard was acting up before i had to use it in class...it kept losing its connection and therefore constantly bringing up the Apple digital keyboard, which was annoying and anytime i slightly moved the device it disconnected. That would have drove me nuts during school so I’m glad a bought ahead of time

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey everybody! I caved and went ahead and purchased the 12.9” iPad and Apple Pencil. Totally in love. I am a huge paper/ hand written learner, so I’d figure I would try to get used to using the iPad for my schoolwork for the remainder of the semester. I am having trouble getting PowerPoints into Notability (I have to export to keynote, then export to pdf, then export to Notability)... but I’m sure I will get that figured out (any tips?). I ended up getting the Logitech Slim Combo keyboard/case (unlike the Create, it is made for both the 2015 and 2017 versions). I LOVE IT! It’s super thin, the keyboard is easily removable, keys are clicky and backlit, AND it has the Apple Pencil holder. I haven’t heard many people talk about the Slim Combo option- but it is great!!!! I can only get one of the pics to upload. Urg.

Attachments

• 0A9544A3-49CA-4510-BBC5-A47A7ADFF808.jpeg
    0A9544A3-49CA-4510-BBC5-A47A7ADFF808.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 102
Hey everybody! I caved and went ahead and purchased the 12.9” iPad and Apple Pencil. Totally in love. I am a huge paper/ hand written learner, so I’d figure I would try to get used to using the iPad for my schoolwork for the remainder of the semester. I am having trouble getting PowerPoints into Notability (I have to export to keynote, then export to pdf, then export to Notability)... but I’m sure I will get that figured out (any tips?). I ended up getting the Logitech Slim Combo keyboard/case (unlike the Create, it is made for both the 2015 and 2017 versions). I LOVE IT! It’s super thin, the keyboard is easily removable, keys are clicky and backlit, AND it has the Apple Pencil holder. I haven’t heard many people talk about the Slim Combo option- but it is great!!!! I can only get one of the pics to upload. Urg.
Nice!! How is the spacing of the keyboard compared to a macbook’s keyboard? Does it feel like a regular keyboard or are the keys more cramped?

Nice!! How is the spacing of the keyboard compared to a macbook’s keyboard? Does it feel like a regular keyboard or are the keys more cramped?
I think the spacing is very similar!!! I don’t feel like I am cramped at all. They keys click just like my macbook does. I also love the kickstand on the back and how you can adjust it to many different angles. I will try to insert another pic.

Attachments

• 3E06EED2-07B7-4E60-86C7-4C98FB09BEF5.jpeg
    3E06EED2-07B7-4E60-86C7-4C98FB09BEF5.jpeg
    131 KB · Views: 100
IPad Pro people- how much storage do you use/think is necessary? I’m in between the 64GB one and goin all out and getting the 512. Thanks!

What about storage for the surface? I saw someone got a microSD card...how much storage should I anticipate needing?

IPad Pro people- how much storage do you use/think is necessary? I’m in between the 64GB one and goin all out and getting the 512. Thanks!
I have the 512GB. I love it. It’s super extra though.

I audiorecord every lecture and I have PDFs of textbooks & books on it and I really enjoy never having to worry about space for the next four years. I would be hesistant on the 64. The 256 sounds more realistic, so if you’re trying to save money I’d go 256

I have the 512GB. I love it. It’s super extra though.

I audiorecord every lecture and I have PDFs of textbooks & books on it and I really enjoy never having to worry about space for the next four years. I would be hesistant on the 64. The 256 sounds more realistic, so if you’re trying to save money I’d go 256
The 512 is on sale at Costco for $999 right now, and the 256 from Apple is $949 so I figure if I’m gonna spend that much anyway I might as well pay an extra $50 for double the storage :D

That’s great!!! My parents have been in the market for one for my grandma, is it a nationwide sale or just your Costco?
Costco.com has it! Apparently the in-store deal is $800 for the 256GB which is also a good deal

This whole thread is super duper enlightening. If I end up going to vet school in the fall, I'm definitely going to try and save for an iPad Pro.

Reactions: 3 users
This whole thread is super duper enlightening. If I end up going to vet school in the fall, I'm definitely going to try and save for an iPad Pro.

Doooo it. No regrets

What about storage for the surface? I saw someone got a microSD card...how much storage should I anticipate needing?

I always go for the bigger storage. In the case of the surface pro, I bought a 256GB one. I also got a 64GB microSD card. Better to have more than enough than not having enough :)

Apple Just Announced a New Cheaper iPad. Here's What to Know About It - TIME Apple Just Announced a New Cheaper iPad. Here's What to Know About It — TIME

Just a heads up... maybe wait to buy this one!
Will this iPad still be able to do all of the things that the regular iPads can do though? Or is it a pretty stripped down version that still allows the Apple Pencil?
Basically, what did they get rid of in the iPad that allowed them to make it cheaper? Or is a different casing most of the difference (like the iPhone 6S vs iPhone SE where the major thing different is that it’s essentially in the iPhone 5S body or like 5C vs 5 where it’s plastic casing vs aluminum)? Do we know what’s making the iPad so different and geared towards schools?

Will this iPad still be able to do all of the things that the regular iPads can do though? Or is it a pretty stripped down version that still allows the Apple Pencil?
Basically, what did they get rid of in the iPad that allowed them to make it cheaper? Or is a different casing most of the difference (like the iPhone 6S vs iPhone SE where the major thing different is that it’s essentially in the iPhone 5S body or like 5C vs 5 where it’s plastic casing vs aluminum)? Do we know what’s making the iPad so different and geared towards schools?
I’m imagining an iPad Air that is compatible with the Apple Pencil. I’m not sure of the differences internally between the air and the pro, but they are much cheaper. But who knows, just putting it out there for people looking for an inexpensive tablet option :D

I’m imagining an iPad Air that is compatible with the Apple Pencil. I’m not sure of the differences internally between the air and the pro, but they are much cheaper. But who knows, just putting it out there for people looking for an inexpensive tablet option :D
Yeah I figured you probably didn’t know but the Apple lover in me needs to know what’s different and allowing them to do some of the Pro technology at the cheaper cost

I found this interesting as the trend is this thread is leaning towards the Ipad Pro, but this article (along with several other direct comparison reviews) seems to lean the opposite. Tough to know which direction to lean when you aren't particularly computer savvy....iPad Pro vs. Surface Pro: 5 ways to choose

I don’t know if the new one will allow for an attachable keyboard, but I’m not sure.

I found this interesting as the trend is this thread is leaning towards the Ipad Pro, but this article (along with several other direct comparison reviews) seems to lean the opposite. Tough to know which direction to lean when you aren't particularly computer savvy....iPad Pro vs. Surface Pro: 5 ways to choose

I had noticed that as well. I’m happy with my iPad, to me I really just wanted the tablet function and I already had all my apple products; so it was easier to stick to the same rather than trying to learn new. I tried to help my step dad set up his new windows 2-in-1 today and struggled!

I had noticed that as well. I’m happy with my iPad, to me I really just wanted the tablet function and I already had all my apple products; so it was easier to stick to the same rather than trying to learn new. I tried to help my step dad set up his new windows 2-in-1 today and struggled!
Reasons why I have all apple products
So much easier because they all function the same and if you can use one you can use them all pretty much

I'm considering buying a surface pro, but I am not sure how smooth transferring my files from my macbook to the surface will be. Is it going to be tedious to transfer my files?

I'm considering buying a surface pro, but I am not sure how smooth transferring my files from my macbook to the surface will be. Is it going to be tedious to transfer my files?

If you're not using a cloud service to back-up your stuff regularly already, I would consider doing that. Or at least via external hard drive.

I got OneDrive though my school that does office documents and other things and i have it in my Mac and I’m assuming you’d be able to get it in the surface and that would make an easier transition; if you are tying to use both!

To current pre-vet/vet students,

Which laptop do you use and do you also have an ipad or a 2 in one laptop? I'm currently saving to eventually purchase something that will last me the 4 years of vet school (2020) and has a good or great battery life. What things do you like/dislike with all of your tech and which ones are used more? I contacted the IT departments of the schools I am interested in and they gave me information on how much space the device will need, the processor type, and that due to some colleges updating or tweaking their softwares it was difficult to determine which laptop I would need by 2020. Since laptops also update yearly. My budget is to not have to go past 1k. If I invest in an ipad with enough storage for the notes/digital books/powerpoints, could I settle for a laptop with lower storage or would the laptop need a good storage for software that the vet schools require to download? The only apple product I have owned is my iphone, so using the software of the macbooks/ipad would take some adjustment but I wouldn't mind. Sticking to windows would be easier in terms of a laptop. Thank you in advance for your responses!

One school informed me that they use Examsoft, is this compatible for both PC and MacOS? The schools I am planning to apply to do not require a specific laptop either so this gives me more wiggle room to choose the one I prefer. From past threads it seems like the vet students use laptops and not paper based exams (which I think is is super cool and better than saving 20 + papers in a binder).

Last edited:
One school informed me that they use Examsoft, is this compatible for both PC and MacOS? The schools I am planning to apply to do not require a specific laptop either so this gives me more wiggle room to choose the one I prefer. From past threads it seems like the vet students use laptops and not paper based exams (which I think is is super cool and better than saving 20 + papers in a binder).

So my roommates a first year and our school uses examsoft and she uses her Mac but idk if i works on iPads yet maybe @finnickthedog or @Teepster87 know?!

So my roommates a first year and our school uses examsoft and she uses her Mac but idk if i works on iPads yet maybe @finnickthedog or @Teepster87 know?!

If it has the capability by 2020, that would be cool for me. Hope to hear back from the other users you included in this reply. Thank you for responding btw! Do you know if that software can work on a windows laptop as well? Or it strictly for the macs?

If it has the capability by 2020, that would be cool for me. Hope to hear back from the other users you included in this reply. Thank you for responding btw! Do you know if that software can work on a windows laptop as well? Or it strictly for the macs?
I’m like 99.999999999% sure finny uses it on a windows laptop (unless she has a secret apple device I haven’t seen, which is what the 0.000000001% is for)

But as for a product having iPad capability (if it doesn’t already) by 2020, absolutely no one would know what the company plans on doing and if they plan on in the next two years releasing it for iPads. So if it’s not already on there, don’t bank on that. And you also don’t know if the incoming classes will even be using that same software two years from now because technology can change a ton by then.

Last edited:

I have no idea if it works on iPads.

Yes, it works on Windows.

I’m like 99.999999999% sure finny uses it on a windows laptop (unless she has a secret apple device I haven’t seen, which is what the 0.000000001% is for)

Nope, I have no secret devices.

To current pre-vet/vet students,

Which laptop do you use and do you also have an ipad or a 2 in one laptop? I'm currently saving to eventually purchase something that will last me the 4 years of vet school (2020) and has a good or great battery life. What things do you like/dislike with all of your tech and which ones are used more?

I bought my laptop just before starting school and am hoping it will last me the full 4 years. We'll see. I'm an abusive computer owner. I have a laptop with touch screen capabilities (that I mostly use when I'm lying bed watching netflix and the mouse is too much trouble) but it's not a 2 in 1, for reasons that I can't specifically remember right now. I definitely looked at a couple of 2 in 1s but decided against them. I think I specifically remember looking at the surface but deciding I would definitely murder that keyboard within months. When I got it, I wondered a little bit if I would regret not getting a 2 in 1 or if I might end up wanting another device. So far, I'm happy with my decision though. I think it just depends on how you personally plan to use your device(s).

Laptop exams are cool. Sometimes the software has problems though and then you have to make the IT guys come fix it (or if it's not during an exam go to them and have them fix it) and that's the worst part about it. Still prefer them to paper exams.