MD & DO IR resident AMA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SeldingerFan78

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey SDN universe, I recently started my IR residency at my top choice program. Feel free to ask me anything regarding my choice of IR or the application process. I used some techniques from business world to land interviews at 80% of programs I applied to.

IR is a dynamic and interesting field but like all specialties it fits some better than others. If you like the idea of tinkering with medical devices to solve complex medical problems for patients minimally-invasively, it might be the right field for you!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
How much physics do you really need to know?

What is your favorite procedure? Least favorite?

What made your choose IR? Why not biomedical engineering?

Members don't see this ad :)
How much strain does the lead actually put on your back-particularly your lower back?

I'm considering a couple different surgical fields but I am barely able to stand still for a couple hours as is with my back. I'm being pushed away from GS a bit because of this in worries that I won't physically be able to do some of the longer procedures. IR seems appealing because of the shorter nature of the cases, as I'm generally better off if I can do some moving around or position changing every now and then. At the same time however, I'm worried that the lead would actually make things worse.

I have heard that many people who start out interested in IR end up just sticking with DR when they get to that point in residency. Given that factoid, going the ESIR route seems really appealing compared to integrated IR (same length of training, more flexibility, with the tradeoff of having more uncertainty/hassle of another application cycle and likely needing to produce research during early years of residency). What are your thoughts on this?

I know this is beating a dead horse, but what are your thoughts on AI disruption in radiology?

Re: Business techniques
- Mainly marketing. There's that ever tough balance when applying btwn being memorable and being a too little out there. Also, you want to come off sincere and thoughtful rather than putting on a facade. For most med school is a winding path of ups and downs and shifting interests (it definitely was for me), so I approached myself like a product. What's my brand, my story, value proposition, what makes me unique and why would they care. I then used this as my anchor in how I wrote my personal statements, reached out to programs, and did my interviews. I also did a lot of networking when I became interested in IR and leveraged that network throughout the interview cycle.

Re: physics - lol
- Love the concern. Not too much. You need to know some applied physics related to imaging because it's on DR boards. Honestly, physics isn't really my thing, but I like the amount in IR/DR because it's enough to enrich my understanding of various imaging modalities while not putting me to sleep.

Re: Favorite/least favorite procedure
- I'm a blood vessel person, so I like embolizations of bleeds in trauma, PPH, AVM, etc. There a nice bit of adrenaline, thinking on your feet, and getting to (usually) make a big difference in someone's life, which is really gratifying. Least favorite right now: probably biliary work just because it's so hard to cannulate the biliary tree esp when it's not dilated. Or abscess drainages - that smell!

Re: Why not BME?
- Fair question for most in IR, but I was not an engineering major. My background is mainly in the humanities. I chose IR because it was a nice balance between getting to be a clinician and have patient contact but not round all day; be a surgeon and get the immediate gratification of fixing specific problems but without super intense personalities or 12 hr cases; and be a radiologist and use cool technology to help diagnose pathology from the brain to big toe. I'm one of those people that like a lot of different things, so IR let me balance my interests with nice pace and diversity.

Re: Back strain with lead
- This is absolutely a reasonable concern. There's a range of strain. It's not too bad if you get newer lighter-weight lead and adjust your set up to your height/mechanics rather than the other way around. I also likely IR for the shorter cases. Also, in private practice most IRs split their time btwn DR and IR, so you could have a 3 days a week doing cases and 2 of sitting in comfortable chair reading cases - might be nice for your back.

Re: Path to IR
- There are pros and cons to each of the 3 pathways - there's actually a nice description on the RFS SIR website's residency application advice page. If you're interested in IR but might also being interested in MSK, breast, neruo DR, ESIR is definitely the way to go. You have a lot more flexibility and the same length of training. If you're pretty dead set on IR, the integrated residency is nice because it guarantees you an IR spot and saves you having to apply for anything until you're looking for a job as an attending.

Re: AI
- I think AI will certainly be a disruptive technology in the future but I see it as complementary. AI tends not to make the types of mistakes humans make and humans tend not to make the types of mistakes AI makes. I see a nice marriage brewing rather than a war. Like any relationship, it will require some courtship and have bumps along the way, but I'm optimistic!

Reactions: 5 users
Awesome! Thanks.
Also, is your patient population from birth-elderly? Or does peds IR have a fellowship?

Awesome! Thanks.
Also, is your patient population from birth-elderly? Or does peds IR have a fellowship?

Depends where you practice. If you're out in the community, most of your patients will be adults but you may do peds cases if needed. There aren't really official subspecialties in IR yet, but IRs do tend to focus in on a group of related procedures, especially in academics. Some even call themselves something different and have their own societies, e.g., "interventional oncologists" are IRs focusing on cancer interventions. There's no formal separate training for IO yet. NeuroIR is a bit different where you are required to do separate formal training for those procedures (whole different long explanation if you're interested). Peds IR now has some dedicated training fellowships so they might end up like NeuroIR in the future.

Do you feel like you/your attendings are able to have long term relationships with patients or are you more a “technician” where other specialties call you to help perform a procedure on their patient? Do you/your attendings have clinic?

What kind of prelim are you doing/did you do?

How difficult is landing an IR spot for a DO with a high Step 1 score, and is the specialty DO-friendly? I had always felt I would go into primary care but if I were to specialize I’ve always been interested in either EM, PM&R, or IR.

Reactions: 1 users
Re: Clinic, pt relationships, and being a “technician”
- Ouch : ). This is the unfortunately stereotype of the field with some threads of truth. Both at my previous and current institutions we have clinic and evaluate patients/have relationships with them similar to surgeons. We’re not a primary care specialty, so patients are referred to us for potential issues/procedures. We then evaluate patients, talk to them about their goals, and decide what we can offer them. No one tells us to do a procedure any more than a general surgeon is told to do cholecystectomy. Here are the caveats. For some simple procedures (e.g., abscess drainage, temporary dialysis access, biopsies) you do fell a bit more like a technician. Conversely, for some conditions (e.g. HCC, vascular malformations, PAD), you tend to have longer relationships because these patients need longer follow up and often require multiple procedures over the years.

Re: Improving the Seldinger technique
- Woh, I’m not smart enough to improve upon such a beautifully elegant medical innovation. Maybe in the future.

Re: DR/IR duel certification and DR fellowships
- There’s a great comparison of training pathways on the RFS SIR website’s residency application advice page. All 3 pathways lead to dual certification in diagnostic and interventional radiology, the difference is how you get there. So no worries about not having DR to fall back upon if your back gives out. Lots of IRs complete a DR fellowship as well. The best way to do this with the current options would be to do ESIR or independent IR training after your DR residency and fellowship (the latter adds an extra year unfortunately).

Re: What prelim/internship
- Ah the age-ol’ question. The general recommendation is to do a surgery prelim. I’m instead doing a demanding TY. Here’s my logic for what it’s worth. I think IR is blend between clinical and surgical skills, so in my program, I get to do surgery rotations for 5 months, 2 months of MICU, a research month, and some electives in relevant medical subspecialties like hepatology. I think this will provide me a better foundation than being a pure surgical or medicine resident all year. That said, there are many who would disagree. I think a lot of it is what you make of it and this route seemed right for me.

Re: Is IR DO-friendly
- One of my mentors in IR is a DO, so it’s definitely possible. As a competitive specialty, you probably will have to apply a bit broader to overcoming the DO-bias in interview invitations. That said, if you have solid board scores, clerkship evals, some extracurriculars illustrating your interest in the field, and some solid LORs, you should be fine! Also, DR with the ESIR pathway is definitely doable as a back up plan!

How difficult is landing an IR spot for a DO with a high Step 1 score, and is the specialty DO-friendly? I had always felt I would go into primary care but if I were to specialize I’ve always been interested in either EM, PM&R, or IR.
i was just going to ask this

Awesome! Thanks.

One of the peds hospitals I've rotated at (one of the top 10 US pediatrics hospitals) is only staffed by IRs who've trained in adult IR (the irony being that, without a peds fellowship, they can only do peds IR and cannot read any peds diagnostics), and my current IR fellowship also does pediatric procedures regularly, even though none of the attendings are specifically peds IR or pediatrics trained. A few peds IR fellowships may exist, but it is by no means a requisite. And besides, for the most part, peds procedures mostly consist of PICC/tunneled line placements, G/GJ tube placements or exchanges, and AVMs. There's not a lot of variety there for the most part.

Reactions: 1 users
One of the peds hospitals I've rotated at (one of the top 10 US pediatrics hospitals) is only staffed by IRs who've trained in adult IR (the irony being that, without a peds fellowship, they can only do peds IR and cannot read any peds diagnostics), and my current IR fellowship also does pediatric procedures regularly, even though none of the attendings are specifically peds IR or pediatrics trained. A few peds IR fellowships may exist, but it is by no means a requisite. And besides, for the most part, peds procedures mostly consist of PICC/tunneled line placements, G/GJ tube placements or exchanges, and AVMs. There's not a lot of variety there for the most part.
Awesome. Thanks for your reply!