Is 22 credit hours manageable?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

synthmonsterjax

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm considering majoring in biology (or biochem) or business or both (just personal interest). The following schedule would keep me on track with everything I need to do for both:

Gen Chem 2 + Lab (4)
Molecular Bio + Recitation (4)
Econ 101 + Recitation (3)
Busi 101 (4)
An honors seminar-style history class (3)
Some foreign language II (4)

• An honors class is required, so I can't get around those 3 credits.
  • Skipping the foreign language now would mean I can't take it until Spring 2013. I think I would still be able to take four semesters of it, though, by the time I graduate.
  • Skipping Molecular now means I have to take it next year, when I'm taking Orgo and stuff.
  • Skipping Econ 101 or Busi 101 means I have to do more next year when I'm taking Orgo (and possibly physics) to keep up with the business major.

Any recommendations? :confused: Thanks :love:

Members don't see this ad.

A course load that is manageable for one person may not be for another. You have to consider how many hours of work outside of each class you have to put in to get the grades you want. If they add up to more hours than you can devote, then you should think about dropping a class. And don't forget that for many classes, attendance at recitation isn't mandatory. We had recitation for Calc 1 and 2, and I didn't go a single time.

If you want advise for how to juggle a lot of credits, feel free to PM me. I took 26 credits at a time two semesters in a row.

I'm surprised they will let you do that in your second? semester. At my school we basically had to earn our way up to that many credits/semester year by year. As someone else mentioned, you are the best judge of your own ability to take on that load. Factors such as course difficulty and extra curricular obligations matter as well. Above all, if you start to drown get out of the pool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Stick with the one major and focus on doing well with a lighter course load. Noone is going to care if you complete multiple majors, especially if your GPA tanks.

Stick with the one major and focus on doing well with a lighter course load. Noone is going to care if you complete multiple majors, especially if your GPA tanks.

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup: A double-major is a waste of time. If you're dead-set on medicine, then your major doesn't matter. Otherwise, pick the major which is the best fit for your alternative career ideas. You can take a few electives in the other topic, if desired...but why not just read some books (or audit classes) in the other subject? Don't kill your GPA or you will inadvertently be killing your med school chances.

I'm taking 18 credits next semester and I feel like I'm going to get no sleep.
I got a 4.0 this semester with 14 credits and minimal work, save for Orgo I, so I wanted to bump up my credits.
Thing is, I'm taking 2 upper level Bio classes + deadly Orgo II.
Orgo II 4 credits
Neurobiology 3 credits
Molecular Cell Biology 3 credits
Astronomy 3 credits
Precal 3 credits
Independent Research 2 credits

your schedule looks comparable to mines in difficulty, save the extra 4 credits in contrast to the hardness of my schedule, but I think it can be done through absolute time management.
Don't let the courses get to you and always stay on top of the material!
IMO, work your freakin' tail off the first 2 and a half months, so you can glide through (still with hard work) the last portion of the semester without cramming or stressing like crazy.
Please have taking 24+ credits and still manage to keep a 4.0.
It's possible, but remember hard work and dedication is everything.

I'm taking 18 credits next semester and I feel like I'm going to get no sleep.
I got a 4.0 this semester with 14 credits and minimal work, save for Orgo I, so I wanted to bump up my credits.
Thing is, I'm taking 2 upper level Bio classes + deadly Orgo II.
Orgo II 4 credits
Neurobiology 3 credits
Molecular Cell Biology 3 credits
Astronomy 3 credits
Precal 3 credits
Independent Research 2 credits

your schedule looks comparable to mines in difficulty, save the extra 4 credits in contrast to the hardness of my schedule, but I think it can be done through absolute time management.
Don't let the courses get to you and always stay on top of the material!
IMO, work your freakin' tail off the first 2 and a half months, so you can glide through (still with hard work) the last portion of the semester without cramming or stressing like crazy.
Please have taking 24+ credits and still manage to keep a 4.0.
It's possible, but remember hard work and dedication is everything.
reading your schedule makes my head hurt :smuggrin:

I'm considering majoring in biology (or biochem) or business or both (just personal interest). The following schedule would keep me on track with everything I need to do for both:

Gen Chem 2 + Lab (4)
Molecular Bio + Recitation (4)
Econ 101 + Recitation (3)
Busi 101 (4)
An honors seminar-style history class (3)
Some foreign language II (4)

• An honors class is required, so I can't get around those 3 credits.
  • Skipping the foreign language now would mean I can't take it until Spring 2013. I think I would still be able to take four semesters of it, though, by the time I graduate.
  • Skipping Molecular now means I have to take it next year, when I'm taking Orgo and stuff.
  • Skipping Econ 101 or Busi 101 means I have to do more next year when I'm taking Orgo (and possibly physics) to keep up with the business major.

Any recommendations? :confused: Thanks :love:

bio and chem seem like the only difficult ones, you should be fine if you have the right mind set

i'm a business and biochem junior who has taken at 20-23 credits every semester; OP's schedule looks very doable with several intro classes. Molecular bio may be somewhat difficult. Go for it.

Viability of taking 22 hours per semester differs from person to person. Personally, I've taken that amount of hours before but for lower-division courses. I wouldn't take over hours for upper-division courses, however.

Viability of taking 22 hours per semester differs from person to person. Personally, I've taken that amount of hours before but for lower-division courses. I wouldn't take over hours for upper-division courses, however.
same

Members don't see this ad :)
I was never able to handle more than about 16 credit hours a semester in undergrad.

Anyway, I just finished the first semester of med school (same institution as my undergrad), and it was seriously 30 credit hours of all science. Yikes! :eek:

I was never able to handle more than about 16 credit hours a semester in undergrad.

Anyway, I just finished the first semester of med school (same institution as my undergrad), and it was seriously 30 credit hours of all science. Yikes! :eek:

:scared:
ah i cant imagine. is it as intense as everyone makes it out to be?

Why is is that this person's confidence is reaffirmed but mine is questioned and has aspersions cast upon it?

Why is is that this person's confidence is reaffirmed but mine is questioned and has aspersions cast upon it?

Because you mentioned you received C/D's and then want to take 20 credits, it just didn't sound logical.

--Were just trying to help prevent you from ruining your GPA whether it's already good OR not, no one knows. Thats it

I'm thinking about scaling it down since I don't think they let second semester freshmen take 22 credits.

I have two options: either double major (add business) or don't (just biology). I think the business major, especially with a concentration in something like entrepreneurship or international business, would expose me to experiences that'd give my application a lot more breadth. What do you guys think?

I don't expect the business major itself to change my life; I just think the opportunities my school offers for business students are pretty cool and would add another dimension to my application (and hopefully my personality? :p).

That's just what I think, though. Any more advice? :confused:

If I decided against business, I'd basically be doubling-up in biology (and both bio classes are notoriously hard at my school, I think). I don't really need to do that, but it would make next year (with orgo and physics) a lot easier.

I don't understand why you don't just major in business?? The biology major adds nothing to your med school app. Major in business, take the prereqs for med school, ???, win!

I don't understand why you don't just major in business?? The biology major adds nothing to your med school app. Major in business, take the prereqs for med school, ???, win!

I've considered that but I'm a little hesitant because I'd still need to take some upper-level biology to "prove my worth." I'm pretty interested by the science side of things--I'm working on some biophysics research projects right now--but I don't know... I have to balance interest and GPA and still fit in biochemistry and stuff like that at some point. It seems like if I'm gonna have to take orgo, biochem, etc., and I'm decently good at the stuff, I might as well do biology or biochem? At the same time, bio or biochem make you cookie-cutter. I'm so confused. :confused:

Ok OP, you need to l2premed. Taking that many hour accomplishes NOTHING and lowers your chances to get a good GPA. Take 14-15 hours and get A's in everything. Thank me later when you're in medical school.

I took 18 or 19 credits a semester and it's not easy, especially with labs. 22 credits with those courses sounds like a lot. See if you can test out of your foreign language requirement, I think that scoring well on an sat 2 or a department test might be enough to qualify. I know a lot of people from abroad do something like that, although some kids take classes in their native language for the easy A.

Hm, I guess I'll stick to biology and keep it to either 15 or 19 credits:

(19)
Gen. Chem 2 + Lab (4)
Ecology + Rec. (4)
Molecular + Rec. (4)
Foreign Language 2 (4)
History (3)

If taking two biology's turns out to be too tough, I'll drop one and go down to 15. Sounds good? This semester I took 12 and did really well, but I was extremely bored.

Only take on as much as you can handle.

I've been taking overloads for the entirety of my collegiate career and have been able to maintain my current 3.9+ GPA. Then again, I made sure (1) that the overloaded class was fluffy enough to only require a minimal investment of time and (2) that my schedule had a balance of 10% hard, 80% medium, and 10% easy courses. (Keep in mind that 98% of my motivation behind taking more classes than the average Joe lies in my psychological dependency on constant deadlines, lol.)

That said, do the following:
1. Talk with an adviser or an older student who is more familiar with the workload in each of the courses you mentioned.
2. Take a look at your spring 2012 EC and Social commitments.
3. Blot out your time sheet. If the white (free) spots outnumber the grey (busy) spots, you're in the clear.

Good luck.

Last edited:
For lower division courses this is fine, but for 300+ courses I'd stay at around 16 credit hours or the equivalent quarter hours per semester. I've done it and it sucks terribly.

A lot of people start majors their sophomore or even junior year, and still finish in four years.

If you're dead-set on taking 22 credits (which I honestly do NOT advise) then go for it, but if you start to feel overwhelmed a couple weeks in, DROP A CLASS!!! Also, if you REALLY are worried about being able to start things on time, consider taking one of those classes over the summer.

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I'll keep it to 15 credit hours if possible.

The main question I have is, should I major in business or not? I know it's a personal decision and everything, but I might be switching to pre-dental and apparently dental schools like biology.

I've considered that but I'm a little hesitant because I'd still need to take some upper-level biology to "prove my worth." I'm pretty interested by the science side of things--I'm working on some biophysics research projects right now--but I don't know... I have to balance interest and GPA and still fit in biochemistry and stuff like that at some point. It seems like if I'm gonna have to take orgo, biochem, etc., and I'm decently good at the stuff, I might as well do biology or biochem? At the same time, bio or biochem make you cookie-cutter. I'm so confused. :confused:

Thanks for all your advice guys. I think I'll keep it to 15 credit hours if possible.

The main question I have is, should I major in business or not? I know it's a personal decision and everything, but I might be switching to pre-dental and apparently dental schools like biology.

What do you intend to do with a business major? If you're planning on pursuing your own business/practice but don't want to do an MD/MBA, then you could reasonably drop business.

However, it is a mistake to think you'd have to "prove your worth" to someone as a business major. You would, but your worth would be sufficiently proven in your prereqs, your MCAT, and your biophysics research. If you do well at these, there will be no need to pursue upper-level biology courses at all, so don't let that be a factor (that is, if you do well in your MCAT/prereqs).

No point in taking more than 16 credits a semester. If you are going to do medicine all that matters is that you get A's. Otherwise you are just taking away your free time to do fun stuff and spending extra money on credits. The people I know that are most successful put in just enough effort to get by and do well. Everyone else who double-majored and studied throughout undergrad regret it and are also pretty lame themselves. Obviously that is only my experiences with those people and everyone is different. The point is, do it for yourself not for a resume. But if you are going to do it, do it well.

What do you intend to do with a business major? If you're planning on pursuing your own business/practice but don't want to do an MD/MBA, then you could reasonably drop business.

Nothing in particular. I don't think I really intend to pursue business afterwards. So I guess I can take business off the table.

However, it is a mistake to think you'd have to "prove your worth" to someone as a business major. You would, but your worth would be sufficiently proven in your prereqs, your MCAT, and your biophysics research. If you do well at these, there will be no need to pursue upper-level biology courses at all, so don't let that be a factor (that is, if you do well in your MCAT/prereqs).

Well, that suggests business might be a good option. But it might be too much of a hassle since I'll have to take a bunch of business classes on top of stuff like biochemistry, physics, and an honors class come junior year. So it might be an unneeded hassle.

No point in taking more than 16 credits a semester. If you are going to do medicine all that matters is that you get A's. Otherwise you are just taking away your free time to do fun stuff and spending extra money on credits. The people I know that are most successful put in just enough effort to get by and do well. Everyone else who double-majored and studied throughout undergrad regret it and are also pretty lame themselves. Obviously that is only my experiences with those people and everyone is different. The point is, do it for yourself not for a resume. But if you are going to do it, do it well.

Yeah, that sounds like a good philosophy. That's what I did first semester, with 12 credit hours. I feel like I might not be distinguishing myself enough with just straight bio, but maybe {high GPA, "bland major"} > {lower GPA, "jazzed-up majors"}.

For reference, my goal is probably either ECU or UNC med, so I'm trying to make sure I'm competitive for those.

Why in the f--- would you want to do that to yourself? Whether or not you can do it isn't for me to say, but obviously the more hours you take, the harder it is to get good grades.... and there's no reason to take that many hours. Why the double major? Like someone else said, it doesn't matter what you major in when you apply to med school. I majored in Psychology.

My philosophy has been that I'll have 4 years to do nothing but study in med school, so I might as well try to enjoy college as much as I can. I think I would regret it if I didn't. And I don't think I would enjoy taking that many hours so the thought has never even come close to crossing my mind. 22 hours? I don't even know if that's allowed at my school.

Why in the f--- would you want to do that to yourself? Whether or not you can do it isn't for me to say, but obviously the more hours you take, the harder it is to get good grades.... and there's no reason to take that many hours. Why the double major? Like someone else said, it doesn't matter what you major in when you apply to med school. I majored in Psychology.

My philosophy has been that I'll have 4 years to do nothing but study in med school, so I might as well try to enjoy college as much as I can. I think I would regret it if I didn't. And I don't think I would enjoy taking that many hours so the thought has never even come close to crossing my mind. 22 hours? I don't even know if that's allowed at my school.

Yeah, all that is allowed at my school is 21 hours WITH the dean's permission. Forget that lol.